Anderson Expects a Big Year In Gase Offense

JetBlue

Strong stuff from WR Robby Anderson, who expects a big year in Adam Gase's offense. Anderson said he's good enough to warrant 10 targets per game, adding, "Now I have a coach that's going to utilize me as a player and not just make me run straight down the field ... I was kind of put in a box. I know this year it's going to be lights out." Anderson, who has avoided off-the-field trouble this offseason, said "my eyes are on the prize more than ever... There's no negativity surrounding me." Yes, this is a contract year for Anderson.  - Cimini

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

I have been saying this for over a year.  This "one trick pony" idea was because coaches rarely gave him an opportunity to do more than that.  Hopefully Gase will fully utilize his talents...   That last comment is pure Cimini; what a douchebag. 

Anderson was actually given many different opportunities early in the season last year, and he was absolutely horrible at it.  It was one of the biggest criticisms made of Bates at the beginning of the year, when he wasn't constantly going deep.  Anderson had far more success later in the year, once Bates supposedly put him "in a box".

If he wants to do more, there's definitely nothing wrong with that, as it's to everyone's benefit if he is a more complete player, but he's got a lot of work to do to make that happen, and he has no room to be blaming others for it.  Enunwa, Crowder, and Herndon are all already ahead of him in their abilities in the short and intermediate routes, so if he really expects to get more opportunities from Gase in those areas, he's going to have to earn it.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Anderson was actually given many different opportunities early in the season last year, and he was absolutely horrible at it.  It was one of the biggest criticisms made of Bates at the beginning of the year, when he wasn't constantly going deep.  Anderson had far more success later in the year, once Bates supposedly put him "in a box".

If he wants to do more, there's definitely nothing wrong with that, as it's to everyone's benefit if he is a more complete player, but he's got a lot of work to do to make that happen, and he has no room to be blaming others for it.  Enunwa, Crowder, and Herndon are all already ahead of him in their abilities in the short and intermediate routes, so if he really expects to get more opportunities from Gase in those areas, he's going to have to earn it.

Like any receiver catching the ball every time it thrown to you is a very good place to start. 

31 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The box was bates had him going deep every play just like Quincy’s Box were the screens. They both hated it .  it wasn’t till McCown got into the lineup they started using him in other ways. (IE: the things they ran under Morton).. Then Sam came back into the lineup and used him the same way McCown did and they caught fire. 

Robby doesn’t need to be amazing route runner . Probably will never be but that speed alone is enough to get him open on comebacks and hitches every time and double moves .  2-3 targets a qtr is not a lot for your best WR. 

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I actually enjoy positive reports on Jets players in the off-season yet somehow some of you find a way to turn into a chance to be negative. 

Anderson is what he is. A high end deep threat. He is not, and will never be, Julio Jones. If you ask him to be a complete WR you are hurting him and the team. It would be like asking Desean Jackson to play the slot and become a possession WR. 

Let's also remember that Anderson played much of the year with a rookie QB that was learning the position on the fly.

When Darnold started to play better the last 4 games Anderson put up numbers that if prorated for an entire season was basically an elite #1 WR (  92-1344-12). 

I don't expect that from Anderson this year but I think 80-1100-8 is a reasonable projection in a much more dynamic offense where teams will have to first pay attention to Bell and also deal with Crowder/Herndon/Enunwa. 

anderson has been a career 55% pass receiver.  some of this is on the qb but most is on him.  if he wants to be in the league of julio jones or amari cooper he needs to improve about 10 points.  having other reliable receivers around him will help.

I actually enjoy positive reports on Jets players in the off-season yet somehow some of you find a way to turn into a chance to be negative. 
Anderson is what he is. A high end deep threat. He is not, and will never be, Julio Jones. If you ask him to be a complete WR you are hurting him and the team. It would be like asking Desean Jackson to play the slot and become a possession WR. 
Let's also remember that Anderson played much of the year with a rookie QB that was learning the position on the fly.
When Darnold started to play better the last 4 games Anderson put up numbers that if prorated for an entire season was basically an elite #1 WR (  92-1344-12). 
I don't expect that from Anderson this year but I think 80-1100-8 is a reasonable projection in a much more dynamic offense where teams will have to first pay attention to Bell and also deal with Crowder/Herndon/Enunwa. 

All some people remember are the two costly fumbles he had in the first 3 games of the season...never mind the fact that he didn’t fumble again the rest of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

If they don’t pick up another WR or TE Anderson will likely see around 10 targets but if he can’t get open Bell or Henderson are getting the ball. 

We’d better hope we get another receiver in this draft or in a trade. If Anderson plays well 1st half of the season I’d hope Mac locks him up. If not he probably leaves in FA and we need someone to replace him on the outside. Maybe Burnett takes a big step this season 

16 minutes ago, rangerous said:

anderson has been a career 55% pass receiver.  some of this is on the qb but most is on him.  if he wants to be in the league of julio jones or amari cooper he needs to improve about 10 points.  having other reliable receivers around him will help.

I don't think Anderson can ever be Julio. Not many can. He just needs to become a better version of Anderson and we will be just fine. 

49 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't think Anderson can ever be Julio. Not many can. He just needs to become a better version of Anderson and we will be just fine. 

i agree.  anderson needs to understand this and become more of a role receiver.  being the best go guy in the league isn't a bad thing.  he won't catch a ton of balls but each one will count quite a bit.  and the other receivers should help him to get there.

He’s not the only WR that was dissatisfied with Bates. Bates getting the position in itself was weird considering the previous season. Choosing Bates, with worse production than the previous season was just another TB error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Very excited about robbie this year.  Hes our  best player on offense.

Ex-squeeze me?

Forgetting #26? #81?

Whatever, I want Robbie, and the rest of them btw, to shut up and show us on the field. We have heard nothing but talk and more talk from this team forever, now its time to shut up and put up.

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Strong stuff from WR Robby Anderson, who expects a big year in Adam Gase's offense. Anderson said he's good enough to warrant 10 targets per game, adding, "Now I have a coach that's going to utilize me as a player and not just make me run straight down the field ... I was kind of put in a box. I know this year it's going to be lights out." Anderson, who has avoided off-the-field trouble this offseason, said "my eyes are on the prize more than ever... There's no negativity surrounding me." Yes, this is a contract year for Anderson.  - Cimini

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

I have been saying this for over a year.  This "one trick pony" idea was because coaches rarely gave him an opportunity to do more than that.  Hopefully Gase will fully utilize his talents...   That last comment is pure Cimini; what a douchebag. 

I kind of appreciate that Cimini put that in context about it being Robbie's contract year. We always seem to hear the same garbage from players with attitude problems and history of acting like clowns when it's a contract year and getting rewarded for words and not deeds (Mo comes to mind). It's kind of pathetic that we even have to contextualize it that Robbie hasn't gotten into any off-field problems this off season. Like big whoopididoo! Welcome to how the other 99.99% of the world has to act. Just catch the freaking ball, work on not fumbling, and act like a professional and things will be fine. 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

While I certainly get your point, I'd hardly call a player blaming his own failures on someone else to at all be a "positive report".  Anderson's been showing these past couple of years now that he has a much higher opinion of himself than he's earned.  I certainly agree that he's got talent, and can definitely put up better numbers if for no other reason than Darnold, but he still has work to do if he wants to be what he claims to be.  In the meantime, he'll be used to his strengths, just as he should be.

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Ex-squeeze me?

Forgetting #26? #81?

Whatever, I want Robbie, and the rest of them btw, to shut up and show us on the field. We have heard nothing but talk and more talk from this team forever, now its time to shut up and put up.

U heard me right.  Robbie Anderson is the best player on this offense.  That will be the last time I repeat this.

Robbie might not get 10 targets in ANY games this upcoming season. Quincy Enunwa, Jamison Crowder, Chris Herndon, and Leveon Bell are ALL going to eat this season. Robbie will have a good season this year, but he will not be targeted that much in this offense. No chance. 

Anderson, at best, will have the 3rd most targets behind Crowder and Bell. Most likely he'll be behind Herndon as well. 

You just have to look back at Gase's offenses in Miami to realize who the focal point of the passing game will be and that's Crowder. He's a chain mover. Gase absolutely loves slot WR's like Crowder bc they create mismatches and are easy completions for the QB.

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

In Gase's offense he'll be lucky to get 50 rec next year. Davante Parker is a very talented WR and he was limited in this offense bc it goes through the slot WR first and foremost. Add Bell getting his 60-75 rec, Herndon with 50 rec, Enunwa with 40-50 rec and it's hard to see Anderson getting even 5 targets a game let alone 5 rec per game. I think realistically he's looking at a 35-50 rec next year. 

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

In Gase's offense he'll be lucky to get 50 rec next year. Davante Parker is a very talented WR and he was limited in this offense bc it goes through the slot WR first and foremost. Add Bell getting his 60-75 rec, Herndon with 50 rec, Enunwa with 40-50 rec and it's hard to see Anderson getting even 5 targets a game let alone 5 rec per game. I think realistically he's looking at a 35-50 rec next year. 

Total nonsense.  Gase had a qb in miami that couldnt get the ball to anyone and relied on landry in the slot.  Its not cause gase runs an offense through a slot reciever.  

Robbie Anderson can expect 6 targets a game this season.  On occasion he will see more. Ten is a pipe dream.  If he catches 70 balls this year, and gains around 900 yards he will have done a great job, secured his future with the Jets and earned a contract extension.  That is all a reasonable expectation and a probable reality.  He'd better be OK with that, because that's what it is going to be.

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Total nonsense.  Gase had a qb in miami that couldnt get the ball to anyone and relied on landry in the slot.  Its not cause gase runs an offense through a slot reciever.  

It's absolutely bc he runs his offense through the slot. Why do you think they were so aggressive in signing Crowder? Crowder is immediately the Jets best all around WR. He's going to have a big year.

As I recall the Jets were using Anderson on some crossing routes and maybe some curls early last season but the opposing defenses would hold him up and rip the ball out and he had a couple of early season turnovers so the Jets stopped using him in that manner. Anderson needs to get stronger or be quick to tap out and for sure he don't need to be fighting for xtra yards unless the situation calls for it.

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

The box was bates had him going deep every play just like Quincy’s Box were the screens. They both hated it .  it wasn’t till McCown got into the lineup they started using him in other ways. (IE: the things they ran under Morton).. Then Sam came back into the lineup and used him the same way McCown did and they caught fire. 

Robby doesn’t need to be amazing route runner . Probably will never be but that speed alone is enough to get him open on comebacks and hitches every time and double moves .  2-3 targets a qtr is not a lot for your best WR. 

Good post.    The only thing I liked about the QE screens, and I mentioned this once before in another thread,  was Bates made it a point to get the ball out quick so Darnold wasn't physically beaten up early in the season.  Not sure if planned or not, but the result was beneficial.  He took his rookie lumps, but they were on the mental side of the game. 

I was in Jacksonville for week 4.   It was miserably hot btw.   He missed a handful of open receivers for big plays that day because the game was still just too fast for him.  They gave him a break due to the "foot injury," and we saw what happened when it began to slow down in December.

Robby is now the Jets' second best offensive player.  Bell is going to make the whole team better.  Defense included.   First downs... First downs... and more first downs= fresh defenders.   This team ain't ready to dethrone New England, but at least they will be entertaining...

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Even if your right. Those 40 rec will go for over 15 yds per catch. That's a winning formula.

1 hour ago, genot said:

Even if your right. Those 40 rec will go for over 15 yds per catch. That's a winning formula.

I'm not saying he doesn't have any value. I just think people need to temper their expectations. He's def going to make some big plays with Crowder, Herndon, Bell and Enunwa working the short to intermediate routes. I'm not sure teams will be able to play a safety over top with those guys working underneath.  He's def going to have an opportunity to make some big plays. 

My only contention has been I don't know if he has a future here for what he's likely going to command in FA with even a decent year next year. I'm not sure you can pay a guy over $12+ million a year for 40-50 rec and 600-750 yards. 

The date for RFA to sign a deal with a different team is April 19th. It'll be interesting to see if he gets any offers now that the big wave of FA is over and teams are done evaluating WR's in the draft.

There are two teams with multiple 2nd round picks that may have interest; Texans and Patriots.

The Patriots have a major need at WR and would only have to part with the 24th pick in the 2nd round. I could see them making a play for him.

The Texans don't have a major need at WR but would like to get their QB some more weapons. They'd have to give up the 21st pick in the 2nd round.

We'll see what happens.

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I'm not saying he doesn't have any value. I just think people need to temper their expectations. He's def going to make some big plays with Crowder, Herndon, Bell and Enunwa working the short to intermediate routes. I'm not sure teams will be able to play a safety over top with those guys working underneath.  He's def going to have an opportunity to make some big plays. 

My only contention has been I don't know if he has a future here for what he's likely going to command in FA with even a decent year next year. I'm not sure you can pay a guy over $12+ million a year for 40-50 rec and 600-750 yards. 

The date for RFA to sign a deal with a different team is April 19th. It'll be interesting to see if he gets any offers now that the big wave of FA is over and teams are done evaluating WR's in the draft.

There are two teams with multiple 2nd round picks that may have interest; Texans and Patriots.

The Patriots have a major need at WR and would only have to part with the 24th pick in the 2nd round. I could see them making a play for him.

The Texans don't have a major need at WR but would like to get their QB some more weapons. They'd have to give up the 21st pick in the 2nd round.

We'll see what happens.

You make a very valid point, i don't doubt that. Never did. Just consider though, how many receivers in this league can blow the lid off a defense on a consistent basis. It is rare. Tight ends. Slot receivers. Not as difficult to find.

Archived