Quinnen Williams

Looks like a good selection and player. I have no prob with it, I was hoping for a trade down but they might have been right on this. He was rated highly by all of the pundits. I've just seen too many recent D high selections by the Jets who became either non impact players or mediocre. It's hard to say when a player faces the NFL grind how they will do esp after getting a taste of the good life and big money. The reason players were crying last night and relieved when chosen was all about the Benjamins. By being selected they are basically set for life financially. The only reason to doubt Williams is his lack of experience on that level. One season as an impact player at Alabama. But he's clean in terms of injuries and off the field no problems. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, DJF71 said:

I have this sneaky feeling that the Pats are going to trade for Josh Rosen.  And then the QB the Jets passed on for Darnold goes on to win multiple SB’s while the Jets keep drafting DT’s.  Not that the Jets should have drafted Rosen just the fact they could have had him and the Pats end up with him.

Rosen is not a Belicheat type guy.  I would be shocked if they pick him up, even for a third.

He is obviously a big person.  A big body someone who normally will put on a lot of weight. You'd think when he gets older he will have a weight problem unless he diets, exercises, etc. If he lets himself go he will be huge. If you look at him though even big he is not fat. Around the middle he is not overweight his waist is for his size not big. But if he doesn't work out like many players esp after they get paid that could be a problem. He could come in way overweight. So I'm talking about his body type which could be a problem for him as he gets older. If he's a strict workout guy and hard worker like they think he is he can deal with that. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

He is obviously a big person.  A big body someone who normally will put on a lot of weight. You'd think when he gets older he will have a weight problem unless he diets, exercises, etc. If he lets himself go he will be huge. If you look at him though even big he is not fat. Around the middle he is not overweight his waist is for his size not big. But if he doesn't work out like many players esp after they get paid that could be a problem. He could come in way overweight. So I'm talking about his body type which could be a problem for him as he gets older. If he's a strict workout guy and hard worker like they think he is he can deal with that. 

I just recently read the opposite. as a prospect coming out of HS, Bama had him listed as a DE. Last offseason they had him gain 20 pounds to move inside because they lost 2 seniors to the draft.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He is an NFL player.  If he doesn't "diet" and "exercise" he will be eaten alive.  Just like everyone else.  Have you ever met anyone that played in the NFL?  They generally fall somewhere between Mr. Universe and a Men's Health cover model.  I have met practice squad kickers that were more jacked than you could imagine 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Leo was a pro bowl alternate 3 years ago, never an all pro, and just got replaced by another top pick. Adams plays a non premium position, is average in coverage and has done nothing to help the ongoing decline of this team in his time here. 

Darnold is by every statistical measure an outlier, and even that was dependent on him being told he had to get a new QB, then getting rejected by Cousins, and then having 2 teams pass on Darnold.

Leo was "replaced"?  If you say so.

Yes he talks a lot but Adams is one of the best Safeties in the league.  If you want to denigrate him to suit your argument, that is your prerogative.

And Darnold is bad (or a bad pick?) because someone else didn't pick him?  Even if he were an "outlier," last time I checked he was still on the team.

You are trying a bit too hard here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I just recently read the opposite. as a prospect coming out of HS, Bama had him listed as a DE. Last offseason they had him gain 20 pounds to move inside because they lost 2 seniors to the draft.

I'm just going by appearance. You might be right I didn't read that article. He just seems like a naturally big person. But gaining weight to play football imo isn't the healthiest thing in the world to do. Some guys they said last night gained like 50 pounds. 

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm just going by appearance. You might be right I didn't read that article. He just seems like a naturally big person. But gaining weight to play football imo isn't the healthiest thing in the world to do. Some guys they said last night gained like 50 pounds. 

The body definitely looked 'soft' to me. I have subsequently read that he worked with a nutritionist, etc, and this was a supervised weight gain, Actually 40 pounds since he cam on campus.

That does make me worry about the knees, eventually

8 minutes ago, August said:

Why are defensive linemen always the BPA? 

Because most other teams don't think interior DL are worth that high of an investment, particularly when it's not a team need, until Maccagnan utlimately saves the day.

The BPA thing is also a bit of a myth itself.  It's not that those players are truly the best, rather they are simply the highest-rated by the media when looked at in a vacuum, with no consideration for team need nor positional value.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The body definitely looked 'soft' to me. I have subsequently read that he worked with a nutrition, etc, and this was a supervised weight gain, Actually 40 pounds since he cam on campus.

That does make me worry about the knees, eventually

I know the NFL is a lot of money. But many of these football players pay for it when they're in their 50's. And that's a reason many players won't allow their kids to play football. I know Goodell said last night that their finances are the best ever even though he acknowledged that there have been ups and downs. I was kind of surprised he said that. But with head injuries, etc and lawsuits and basically public sentiment for players who get these terrible life threatening injuries via playing and even violent behavior which can be tied to brain damage you have to think the future might not be as rosy as he was stating. Of course he makes 40 mil plus a year to say that. Look I used to be a big boxing fan until I got tired of seeing punch drunk great fighters like Ali, Joe Frazier, etc. If you asked me years ago if I would lose interest in boxing I would have said no way. I'm still addicted to football I will watch any football including Arena football to get my fix. But can I change?  Not watch a Jets game on a Sunday. I don't know but if I'm a billionaire investor I would think twice before buying an NFL team. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, cant wait said:

FWIW this guy knows his DL and did a nice writeup on QW — I posted an article of his earlier where he had solomon thomas pegged as a bust from the start

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/3/8/18252958/nfl-draft-2019-quinnen-williams-new-york-jets-scouting-report-defensive-tackle-alabama

I must admit that this a very eye opening article. Thanks for posting.

I was pretty upset last night but have come around to the pick this morning. QW is a beast with great production and killer athleticism metrics right up there with Donald. He is the safest DL prospect probably since Donald. The only question is obviously that he only has essentially 1 year of production but at least he did all this in the SEC against legit competition. I think it will end up being a great pick where he either works really well with Leo or we aren't forced to keep Leo for big $$$ next year if he doesn't produce. 

Besides, which other prospect does it all like QW? The man blesses and thanks himself after sneezing. Can't wait to see how he congratulates himself after his first sack!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

every team in the AFC east besides the Patriots drafted an interior DL last night. All with top 15 picks. wtf dude 

Sorry if you hit your word limit , but there was kind of that significant next part of "particularly when it's not a team need."  It wasn't one for the Jets, and yet they still drafted at the position higher than any either of those division rivals, or any other team in the league, for the second time in 4 years.

Of course there's also that funny little thing that it's a shared trait among the division, with the only little exception being the one that doesn't completely suck.

It was the safe pick, he’s an instant starter to pair with Leonard Williams, beast of a football player. He can rush the passer from the inside. Anyone who watches college ball saw him and what he can do when he played at Bama. Guy was an absolute wrecking machine. He is also fast enough to play DE. I’m predicting 7+ sacks first season. The dude ran a 4.83 and is over 300lbs, I dunno who has ever played football or watches enough to understand how insane that is. It shows on tape as well. So please, with all the negativity, we coulda been like the raiders and made the reach of the century lol

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

It was the safe pick, he’s an instant starter to pair with Leonard Williams, beast of a football player. He can rush the passer from the inside. Anyone who watches college ball saw him and what he can do when he played at Bama. Guy was an absolute wrecking machine. He is also fast enough to play DE. I’m predicting 7+ sacks first season. The dude ran a 4.83 and is over 300lbs, I dunno who has ever played football or watches enough to understand how insane that is. It shows on tape as well. So please, with all the negativity, we coulda been like the raiders and made the reach of the century lol

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think the jets should trade Leo and get back in the 2nd round

Maybe then we draft an Offensive Lineman and you guys finally stop bitching

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

I was pretty upset last night but have come around to the pick this morning. QW is a beast with great production and killer athleticism metrics right up there with Donald. He is the safest DL prospect probably since Donald. The only question is obviously that he only has essentially 1 year of production but at least he did all this in the SEC against legit competition. I think it will end up being a great pick where he either works really well with Leo or we aren't forced to keep Leo for big $$$ next year if he doesn't produce. 

Besides, which other prospect does it all like QW? The man blesses and thanks himself after sneezing. Can't wait to see how he congratulates himself after his first sack!

Going to be a great player and he’s a great kid

Refreshing after trying to force myself to root for losers the last several years like Lee, Skrine and Sheldumb 

I wanted Allen but looking at his vids he is a speed guy with limited moves I can see them passing on that as QW seems to be the better player more moves against higher competition. Having him on the line will make everyone else around him better.  I just dont get the hate on the kid people dont liek the pick fine Like I dont like the head coach but I am not insulting the person he is. Shows why sometimes I just hate people

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Going to be a great player and he’s a great kid

Refreshing after trying to force myself to root for losers the last several years like Lee, Skrine and Sheldumb 

he is extremely likable for sure. if he breaks out he’s going to be swimming in endorsements

Q is like a bar of soap on kung fu.

his hands are manny pacquaio 

his feet are baryshnikov 

his core is bruce lee 

unlike many big dudes, his shoulders are compact, meaning in tight spaces he is fluid, can fit thru tight spaces and shift direction, and OL can’t easily get a grip. it makes him “look small” compared to wide-shouldered Leo Williams, but Q is 300+ lbs and 6’3”.

most amazingly, at his size and weight, his “bend" is as good as an edge rusher in the draft and better than any interior DL i have ever seen. and when u consider the bend angle inside is more acute than for same on the edge, it’s pretty remarkable.  

he’s a bar or soap with king fu moves that slips thru cracks, right hook, swim over/through, and rag doll fatsos, and can turn on a dime and bend back upfield. the stunts he can do are ridiculous.

i expect dominance from Q, and bc NFL units are at least binary, we can expect collateral improvement in performance by everyone else on the line, especially Leo.

• 6 months later...