Clock is ticking for Jets’ possible odd-man out - Jordan Jenkins

https://nypost.com/2019/06/30/clock-is-ticking-for-jets-possible-odd-man-out/

Clock is ticking for Jets’ possible odd-man out

June 30, 2019 | 12:06am

jetsjenkins.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1

Jordan Jenkins is entering the final year of his rookie deal, and his future has never been more in question.

The outside linebacker was drafted by a previous front office regime and was developed by a previous coaching staff. With new general manager Joe Douglas now in charge and new coach Adam Gase overseeing the team, the 25-year-old must prove himself to a new crop of evaluators who are unfamiliar with him.

“To me, every year is a contract year in my mind ever since I got drafted,” Jenkins said earlier this month. “My mentality is this: I’ve realized what I can do, I can be as great as I can be, but I have to put the work in. I need to do this, that much, and more.”

Jenkins already has begun the process of trying to prove himself to the new administration. At OTAs, he explained he was working on his footwork to try to become more agile.

Jenkins managed to show improvement as a rusher during the 2018-19 season with seven sacks, and 15 quarterback hits — a compared to the previous season, when he had just three sacks and nine QB hits.

Nevertheless, the new management team and new coaching staff pose a test for Jenkins. Since Douglas just got hired June 12, he has brought in a number of new executives — Rex Hogan as assistant general manager, Chad Alexander as director of player personnel and Phil Savage as senior advisor to Douglas — all of whom are going to be in evaluation mode for the rest of the offseason and the season ahead. Meanwhile, Gase hired new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who will be the primary coach working with Jenkins.

Jenkins was a third-round pick out of Georgia in 2016 by previous GM Mike Maccagnan. The Jets let Maccagnan, who had a spotty draft record, was let go on the premise of combating personalities with Gase, and overall not assuring Christopher Johnson the success of the team.

The Jets have signed new linebacker C.J. Mosley with a five-year $85 million contract this offseason. They also have fellow linebacker Avery Williamson on a three-year deal at $22.5 million. Douglas will have to consider how much money he is willing to devote to one position. Jenkins’ performance would be a critical deciding factor.

“The sky’s the limit for me,” Jenkins said. “I just have to go out and reach it.”

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This seems off. Jenkins is easily their best OLB, he led the team in sacks last year, and Joe Vitt raved about him in minicamp. He’s exactly the type of young player you’d want to build around. Luvu is tough and aggressive, but a slug, and unless Polite does a full 180, there’s no one else who can threaten Jenkins as a starter, much less for his roster spot. Weird article. 

Yeah, I don't think it's as simple as evaluating his play. 7 sacks, on this team, is rather lofty numbers. Even if Jenkins fails to impress, the CS is still going to have to work with him. He provides decent numbers in an area where the Jets have been horrid forever. More than anything, the Jets don't have many other attractive options and that's why Jenkins is so important to the team? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

he led the team in sacks last year, and Joe Vitt raved about him in minicamp. He’s exactly the type of young player you’d want to build around. Luvu is tough and aggressive, but a slug,

jenkins is weird. slow as phk. yet get the ocassional sack. 

when you say slug do you mean slow, or just bad? 

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Yeah, I don't think it's as simple as evaluating his play. 7 sacks, on this team, is rather lofty numbers. Even if Jenkins fails to impress, the CS is still going to have to work with him. He provides decent numbers in an area where the Jets have been horrid forever. More than anything, the Jets don't have many other attractive options and that's why Jenkins is so important to the team? 

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

jenkins is weird. slow as phk. yet get the ocassional sack. 

when you say slug do you mean slow, or just bad? 

I meant that Luvu doesn't run all that well. Jenkins isn't Von Miller, but he's not a stiff. It's just odd that this reporter would choose Jenkins to target in a piece like this. Literally none of these players have any ties to Gase or Douglas. Why Jenkins? If this was written by Cimini or Manish, you'd think it was a tip they were fed from the team meant to motivate a slacking player, but Jenkins supposedly isn't that. I don't know. Just a weird, random hit piece.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This seems off. Jenkins is easily their best OLB, he led the team in sacks last year, and Joe Vitt raved about him in minicamp. He’s exactly the type of young player you’d want to build around. Luvu is tough and aggressive, but a slug, and unless Polite does a full 180, there’s no one else who can threaten Jenkins as a starter, much less for his roster spot. Weird article. 

I thought this was Brian Costello, who is less even than a hack.  My bad. Clearly the laziest writer on the beat.  But Jenkins is a hard nosed player who seems to be developing rush moves.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think this is Brian Costello, who is less even than a hack.  Clearly the laziest writer n the beat.  Jenkins is a hard nosed player who seems to be developing rush moves.

It's somebody named Dani Mohr whose archive is mostly filled with articles about players doing things on social media.

• Upvote 2

I do not get this article.  The writer picked on Jenkins but Jenkins name could have been replaced with just about any other player on this team.  Jenkins seems like a solid young player who holds the edge well and can get you some pressure.  Seems like we paid Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas millions to do the same thing (maybe less).   As for the too much money at one position, maybe the writer could tell me how that will play out with our D backs.  Trumaine is making the mother load, Jamal is going to break the bank when his time comes soon.  Maye, if he can stay healthy, will be due for a big increase the same time as Jamal.  And who's convinced we don't need another starting CB.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetpain said:

I do not get this article.  The writer picked on Jenkins but Jenkins name could have been replaced with just about any other player on this team.  Jenkins seems like a solid young player who holds the edge well and can get you some pressure.  Seems like we paid Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas millions to do the same thing (maybe less).   As for the too much money at one position, maybe the writer could tell me how that will play out with our D backs.  Trumaine is making the mother load, Jamal is going to break the bank when his time comes soon.  Maye, if he can stay healthy, will be due for a big increase the same time as Jamal.  And who's convinced we don't need another starting CB.

Definitely. You could see this article written about guys like Maye, Roberts, Leonard, Brandon Shell, Brian Winters, etc., but to pick on Jenkins? 

• Upvote 1

Jenkins was picked in the 3rd. He wasn’t a top rated 1st round prospect. He wasn’t even sold as a pure edge rusher. He was more of a Calvin Pace comp. He’s met that comp and improved his pass rushing productivity. He’s a good player.

He isn’t in line for a big pay day. I don’t understand the article at all. Delete Jenkins’ name, insert Leo Williams and the article makes a little more sense.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Author assumes CJ Mosley is an edge rusher? Thinking “uhhh nobody pays middle linebackers that much, do they?”

Before posting my opinion I actually went and looked up his highlight-reel from last year and it lasted all of 36 seconds. I like Jordan Jenkins I think he's a solid player however like most Jets he's unspectacular. He absolutely shows up from time to time and makes big plays, but like many other typical Jets he seems to be above-average and can't seem to get over that hump to being a good player or a very good player. If he puts together another year what's 7 plus sacks, then I would say re-sign him. But I just get the feeling that he's like a Brian Winters type hold the fort guy.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I meant that Luvu doesn't run all that well. Jenkins isn't Von Miller, but he's not a stiff. It's just odd that this reporter would choose Jenkins to target in a piece like this. Literally none of these players have any ties to Gase or Douglas. Why Jenkins? If this was written by Cimini or Manish, you'd think it was a tip they were fed from the team meant to motivate a slacking player, but Jenkins supposedly isn't that. I don't know. Just a weird, random hit piece.

This article could be written about every single player on the roster from last year.

"Gee, there's a new GM and stuff, and (random player) was drafted by different people than the current people,  and in two years (random player) will be looking for a new contract! The new coaches who are different from the OLD coaches will have to evaluate (random player) this season to make tough decisions next year! Time is running out!"

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

This article could be written about every single player on the roster from last year.

"Gee, there's a new GM and stuff, and (random player) was drafted by different people than the current people,  and in two years (random player) will be looking for a new contract! The new coaches who are different from the OLD coaches will have to evaluate (random player) this season to make tough decisions next year! Time is running out!"

It doesn’t even work as proper clickbait. Fans are generally ambivalent about Jenkins! 

LOL

This is a BS article, by a writer who normally doesn't get actual columns.  He's getting one here because , most likely the actual beat writer is on vacation during the month long break.    

He went for a big article............and badly missed.  Probably won't see his name again except on his Mickey D's name tag

On 6/30/2019 at 5:13 AM, varjet said:

It may be easy for another team to pay Jenkins more given the money tied up in Williamson and Mosley.   Williamson should be more easily replaceable. 

Williamson and Mosley don't play the same position as Jenkins.  How is it that they would be tying up too much money in "one position"?  OLB and ILB are as similar as a CB and safety.  Yeah, some assignments overlap, but dumping too much money in one position isn't the case here.   

Agreed with everyone else.  Stupid and misplaced article.  Jenkins is arguably the best pick from the Mac regime.  He's a very good player who is actually probably worth a second contract.  Every team needs players like Jenkins who do the dirty work and also make appearances on the stat sheet.  You cant have probowlers at every position and when your team only has one to begin with, those 2nd tier guys on rookie deals are worth their weight in gold. 

There is no clock on Jenkins.  He's your starting OLB and will be all year long.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:02 AM, NYJ1 said:

I agree 7 sacks is pretty decent, plus he's a 3rd rounders on his rookie contract.  Why in the world would they cut him?  This article is chock full of "It's the offseason and I am out of things to write"

20 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Odd man out?  He’s starting opposite Polite next season and will be an every down player

True , but that is also why you have a new GM after having so much money to burn in  Fa, and the draft .( inability to address the outside lb pass rush). 

You think Polite ( all 230 pounds ) and Jenkins are threatening any decent NFL tackle tandem..

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed with everyone else.  Stupid and misplaced article.  Jenkins is arguably the best pick from the Mac regime.  He's a very good player who is actually probably worth a second contract.  Every team needs players like Jenkins who do the dirty work and also make appearances on the stat sheet.  You cant have probowlers at every position and when your team only has one to begin with, those 2nd tier guys on rookie deals are worth their weight in gold. 

There is no clock on Jenkins.  He's your starting OLB and will be all year long.

If so, shouldn't they extend him now?  He actually seems like the kind of guy Douglas likes. "Football Player"  First and foremost, athlete second. I was as guilty as anyone of bagging on him after the draft because he is kind of slow (4.8) but his burst score was quite good and he is crazy long.  I was very concerned about his agility numbers - his 3 cone was awful, but he was a younger guy that was rock solid reliable from day 1.  Exactly as advertised.