Training Camp Tweets (8/12)

kdels62

Practice update posted on NYJets.com

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-practice-report-tempers-flare-as-physicality-turns-up-a-notch?campaign=eg

The dog days of camp are officially here.

Tempers flared Monday at Jets practice and it started with a shoving match between left guard Kelechi Osemele and linebacker Avery Williamson. However, the two were broken up before a fight broke out.

“It was an intense day,” said Williamson, who returned to practice after an off day. “Guys were flying around, making stuff happen and just being physical. It was just one of the days. We just got after it today. Tempers flared a little bit, but definitely ready to go up against some other opponents.”

Later in practice, new Jets guard Alex Lewis and defensive lineman Nathan Shepherd were the main attraction in a sideline-clearing skirmish. Shepherd and Lewis were involved in some pre-snap movement and interlocked as they hit the ground and started swinging. 

“I like the fact that they're competing. The way that those guys are going at it today, it is what it is,” head coach Adam Gase said. “I mean, I don't want anybody to get hurt. I think you waste a lot of energy when you start scuffling up and everybody's jawing. It's a waste a time to me, but sometimes that happens.” 

A fiery Steve McLendon had words for both sides of the ball after the skirmish and safety Jamal Adams echoed his head coach’s sentiments about fighting being a waste of time, which is why Adams “gave that up years ago.” But the Pro Bowl safety also acknowledged the chippiness is inevitable this time of year. While the LSU product said something like that can provide some extra juice in practice, wide receiver Robby Anderson sees it a distraction.

“I don’t want to see my teammates fight,” Anderson said. “We are really one team even though we’re going up against each other, so I’m not too much of a fan of that. Especially, I don’t want one of my teammates to get hurt.”

Injury Update
The Jets had a handful of players leave practice early with injuries. Osemele is being evaluated for a pec strain and the team is optimistic it’s nothing more severe. DL Henry Anderson is being evaluated for a head injury and CB Kyron Brown has a hamstring ailment. Ty Montgomery took a shot to the groin but returned to the workout.

Veteran DL Leonard Williams (hip) worked to the side and the Big Cat could participate in individual drills tomorrow. Linebacker Harvey Langi (knee) also worked to the side and Blake Cashman (calf/hamstring) did not practice. Top cornerback Trumaine Johnson is considered week-to-week with a hamstring injury.

“I mean he wants to be out there when we get going in the regular season for sure. To me, he'll do everything he can,” Gase said of Johnson. “Sometimes it's how the body reacts, how does the rehab go, how does the strength and conditioning go. You can have a setback, so if things go smooth hopefully we get him back.”

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Really sounds like great trade bait!

Not great, no. But, decent...   if you are a team that is fielding a minus player at DT and want somewhat of an upgrade, Leo fits the bill. 

If you have a plus CB #3 on your depth chart ...    then, who knows?

3 hours ago, genot said:

He didn't look lazy last year when he was throwing his body around to protect Sam, and open up things in the running game.Gase sent a message in Miami, by dumping Laundry and Adajay. worked out good for them. not the Dolphins.

Jay Ajayi is out of the league.

Jarvis Landry won the same number of games as Gase last year.

I'm not saying this is definitely the right move but Leggett had shown literally nothing in the two years he was on the team. It is what it is.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Jay Ajayi is out of the league.

Jarvis Landry won the same number of games as Gase last year.

I'm not saying this is definitely the right move but Leggett had shown literally nothing in the two years he was on the team. It is what it is.

I'm not saying your wrong. He was out his rookie year. He wasn't targeted alot last year,.He blocked well, was a very good receiver at Clemson. To cut him, during OTA.s to make a statement, is a little misguided. To me. And he was 24 yrs old. Other than Herndon, we have a bunch of late 20's jag's.

• Thumb Down 1

Darron Lee had a very good first preseason game for the Chiefs.  Led the team in tackles.  

Jordan Leggett appeared to have played.  The Buccaneers have another TE, Tanner Hudson, who had a very good first preseason game.  Let's see if Leggett sticks.  

5 hours ago, varjet said:

When you see how DL like Foley and Shepherd, with Quinnen, Henry and McClendon, can perform, parting with Leo and his cap space to get a better corner is a no brainer.  

He may not get the Jets Ramsey.  Maybe a couple of years of Peterson packed with another player or draft pick.  

There is obviously a tension here between going for the playoffs this year and making progress with an obviously deficient roster that Douglas and Gase inherited.  

Gase as interim GM obviously wanted nothing to do with Leggett and Lee and dumped them.  Douglas as GM now controls the roster, so he would have been involved to release Derrick Jones.  

I would be curious to see how Lee, Leggett and Jones play during the rest of the preseason and end up on Opening Day.  

Tension between who? Gase and Douglas are on the same page. 

Lee is soft and acts like a child. Leggett is fighting for a roster spot in TB right now. And Jones just isn’t good. All those moves were justified. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets LG Kelechi Osemele suffered a strained pec at Monday's practice.

He's being evaluated, though the "preliminary word" from coach Adam Gase is that it's not serious. Osemele fared poorly with the Raiders last year (63rd among 81 qualifiers in PFF's guard grades), though he does have an All-Pro nod on his resume.

The big fella will be fine.  

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Curious, is this something where you had to enter a very embarrassing search term? Or is your browser history dick-tating what images get served up to you in ads?

Green boner pants this picture has been posted here many times by many members.

Curious do you have much of life outside of here I cant imagination a miserable person such as yourself having one or anything positive in your life. 

Don't be so nasty and negative all the time and maybe I might consider having an intelligent football discussion with you. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, genot said:

I'm not saying your wrong. He was out his rookie year. He wasn't targeted alot last year,.He blocked well, was a very good receiver at Clemson. To cut him, during OTA.s to make a statement, is a little misguided. To me. And he was 24 yrs old. Other than Herndon, we have a bunch of late 20's jag's.

I'd say cutting a fringe player at best is a great way to make a statement during OTAs.   

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Green boner pants this picture has been posted here many times by many members.

Curious do you have much of life outside of here I cant imagination a miserable person such as yourself having one or anything positive in your life. 

Don't be so nasty and negative all the time and maybe I might consider having an intelligent football discussion with you. 

Let me see if I've got this right:

1. butt fumble the nincompoop's absurdly stupid content
  2. have the nincompoop routinely insult my life, then say I'm the one being nasty and negative
  3. ????
  4. profit

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.53.20 PM.png

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lith said:

If he played CB he would have been a 3rd rounder where he belongs as a Safety anyways, heck I’d argue that he isn’t even the best Safety in his draft class, wait sorry he isn’t even the 2nd best I’ll take 4th rounder Eddie Jackson over Adams, and insert someone else who got drafted after 6 that year, and a healthy Hooker is much better.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If he played CB he would have been a 3rd rounder where he belongs as a Safety anyways, heck I’d argue that he isn’t even the best Safety in his draft class, wait sorry he isn’t even the 2nd best I’ll take 4th rounder Eddie Jackson over Adams, and insert someone else who got drafted after 6 that year, and a healthy Hooker is much better.

Interesting take here on Adams. I don’t think we’ve heard one quite like this before. If I’m following you correctly, you’re saying Adams was over drafted, and isn’t really that good of a player?

Fascinating.

I don’t know if anyone else here would be interested in really getting involved discussing the merits of positional value for the Safety position, or Adams himself, but who knows? Maybe you’re onto something here.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1