Jets Add CB Marcus Cooper

Lith

This was a guy I was hoping they'd sign for depth last year. Had a good season in Arizona. Fell off the map in CHI, didn't fare much better in DET. 

Beggars can't be choosers at this point and they need depth. Still should probably swing a trade for a CB who can start this year/beyond - it's a necessity at this point. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

7th round pick by the 49ers in 2013.  7 career INT's, 36 PD's, 2 FF, 1 FR, and 1 TD.  He was the CB2 for the Bears for a few games in 2017 before getting supplanted by Kyle Fuller.    

I'll take it.  

these guys just need to turn their heads and not get stupid penalties.  they dont' need to be revis

• Upvote 1

Well needed depth singing 

Pros :

• Drafted 7th round, cut by 9ners before the season starts.
    • Picked up by the Cheifs off waivers and balls in 6 starts
      • 3 interceptions, 18 pass deflections, 44 tackles
  • 2016 stats
    • 4 picks, 11 pass deflections, 1 touchdown, 63 solo tackles on 13 games started. Solid year
  • 6'2 196 pounds

Cons

• Inconsistency
    • after strong rookie season in 2014, loses his job and doesn't play well until 2016 
  • 2017 signs a 3 year 16 million deal with the Bears and get injured in week 6 for the year due to a back injury. 
  • Cut by bears and Lions in 2018 and 2019 
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've always been curious how much guys like this make in their 8 days of work, or guys who come in for camp 

Don't remember the soucre, but I recall seeing that rookies are paid about $1,000 per week during training camp. 

• Upvote 1

Not that it necessarily means anything but I think some of the new guys with the Jets were with the Bears when they gave him the big deal - I know Loggains the OC.  Hogan, the Assistant GM was there for ages, but I think he was gone to the Jets or Colts well before Cooper got there.  Not sure of any of the lower assistants.  

Truesdell sure is on the carousel.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets need bodies at CB, even if we're just scraping the bottom of the barrel.  I'd expect more moves like this Cooper scooping we did today.

It would help if Nickerson, Meander and Austin would contribute as well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

He's already the best CB we'll have at practice tomorrow.  

Sadly this might be true.

It is what it is though. We need bodies right now. Hopefully Johnson comes back in a couple of weeks, and either someone we like gets cut or we can make a minor level deal with someone.

Updated 4:51 PM; Today 4:50 PM

Jets land ex-Rutgers CB Marcus Cooper | 3 thoughts on signing

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Marcus Cooper is heading back to New Jersey.

The Rutgers product was cut by the Lions on Monday, but scooped up by the Jets on Tuesday, according to the team. 

Cooper, 29, is entering his seventh NFL season and has also played for the 49ers, Chiefs, Cardinals, and Bears during that span. But the journeyman could become a key piece for the Jets, given their current crop of cornerbacks.

Here are three thoughts on the Jets’ decision to sign him:

1. Smart, quick decision by Joe Douglas

The Jets’ cornerback situation was ugly entering training camp and has only gotten worse of late, with Trumaine Johnson and Kyron Brown both picking up hamstring injuries. That forced Douglas’ hand – he had to do something, fast, to add talent to this team. Cooper became available and the Jets general manager pounced quickly, which is exactly what they needed him to do here. The Jets’ cornerback room lacks experience and Cooper has 74 games - including 24 starts - under his belt. All of a sudden, he’s the team’s third-most experienced corner behind Johnson and Brian Poole. Cooper didn’t play a ton last year – just six games between the Bears and Lions – so maybe he’s slowing down a bit. But the Jets’ cornerback situation is dire. Any cornerback with some talent and veteran savvy should be welcomed. Smart pickup by Douglas here.

2. Potential Week 1 starter?

Cooper couldn’t stay on the roster with the Lions, but he may be able to take a big role right away with the Jets. If Johnson is out for a while due to injury and doesn’t make it back in time for Week 1, it’s feasible that Cooper could well be starting alongside Darryl Roberts – assuming he has enough left in the tank to leapfrog some undrafted rookies and former practice-squad talents. Even if Johnson returns in time for the regular season, Cooper should at least provide some measure of competition for Roberts and an insurance policy in case he doesn’t perform up to expectations or picks up an injury.

3. This isn’t enough

Yes, Douglas helped fill a hole here. But this is merely one patch in a dam full of leaks. He has to continue to scour the free-agent market and waiver wire as the summer drags on and camp cuts are made. Hitting the trade market wouldn’t be the worst thing, either. This can’t be the only move the Jets make to fix their cornerback situation. They need to keep doing more to build depth and prevent this position from being a massive liability in 2019.