What's Your Level of Faith in Sam Darnold?

slats

Darnold Faith?   

179 members have voted

1. 1. Scale of 1-10, 1 is he hasn't done anything and I need convincing and 10 is I know in my heart that he's the one, where do you stand?

1 minute ago, slats said:

Yeah, lol, you're not a fan. 

Brunell was mediocre. Sam's rookie year was comparable to almost every season where Brunell was a primary starter, and no one is satisfied with Sam's rookie season. Brunell would be my idea of Darnold's floor and, IMHO, that would be a low floor. One that probably wouldn't see a second contract. 

Really? I loved Brunell when he was young... Injuries kind of derailed his career, but he was pretty good for a while.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Really? I loved Brunell when he was young... Injuries kind of derailed his career, but he was pretty good for a while.

He had one really big year (and in that one he threw more ints than TDs), otherwise he was meh. The year he won 13 games he wasn't statistically much better than the youngest QB to start his rookie season in his rookie season. 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I should be clear, I absolutely think Sam Darnold has the potential to be the type of QB who can meet and exceed those metrics of production.

I just want to see him do it BEFORE I start using words like "best ever", "faith" or "best since Namath".

I'm very optimistic about Sam.  But I expect him to show us this year.

I'll set the bar even lower if we like, how about we expect Sam to put up AVERAGE production this year for a starting NFL QB?

Average is 65.5%, 3,516 Passing Yards, 23 TD's to 10 INT's.

If Sam produces this, he was would literally be the arithmetic mean of 2018 NFL QB's.  Surely that's not too high an expectation is it?  I would say no.

Agree with both your posts. The benchmark for elite is fair and so is the above for this coming season. Realistically, he's an "incomplete" right now, but trending strongly in the right direction.

Being a card carrying homer, that's good enough for me right now. Haven't been this excited about a Jet QB in a very loong time.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, lol, you're not a fan. 

Brunell was mediocre. Sam's rookie year was comparable to almost every season where Brunell was a primary starter, and no one is satisfied with Sam's rookie season. Brunell would be my idea of Darnold's floor and, IMHO, that would be a low floor. One that probably wouldn't see a second contract. 

Holy crap, if we're hoping Sam turns into Mark Brunell I'm going to start watching alot more college football and scouting QBs again.

Mark Brunell was the very definition of a JAG who parlayed a slightly better than mediocre season or 2 into a 16 year career.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

I can't speak for others, but here is what I'd like to see:

-- 4,000 Yards Passing or more. (12 QB's reached or exceeded this mark in 2018.)

-- 25 Passing TD's or more. (13 QB's reached or exceeding this mark in 2018.)

-- A 2:1 Passing TD/Interception Ratio or better. (17 QB's were 2:1 or better in 2018, more than half of Starting #1 QB's.)

-- A 60% Completion Rate or better. (Only 3 QB's failed to make this mark in 2018, including Darnold).

I think this is a VERY reasonable expectation of an elite QB in the NFL in a Gase system with the talent we have in 2019. 

If Darnold is in fact an elite QB, the best we've has since Namath as you say, matching the production of a 12th ranked QB is pretty reasonable to expect.

Would you agree?

So why don't you just say you're looking for Sam to be better than average in 2019?

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

-- 4,000 Yards Passing or more. (12 QB's reached or exceeded this mark in 2018.)

-- A 2:1 Passing TD/Interception Ratio or better. (17 QB's were 2:1 or better in 2018, more than half of Starting #1 QB's.)

-- A 60% Completion Rate or better. (Only 3 QB's failed to make this mark in 2018, including Darnold).

I think this is a VERY reasonable expectation of an elite QB in the NFL in a Gase system with the talent we have in 2019. 

If Darnold is in fact an elite QB, the best we've has since Namath as you say, matching the production of a 12th ranked QB is pretty reasonable to expect.

Would you agree?

This looks pretty fair to me. This is what I’m expecting this year from Darnold. He’s about to ball out. Hold on tight.

• Upvote 1

I have total confidence. This isn’t Mark Sanchez Geno Smith or even Pennington(who I liked).  Sam not only has bigtime talent but is mentally strong.  Last year he was only 21,without an offensive line, and without legit weapons and he still got better as the season went on

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Would you agree?

10 qb did all four.  

Nope.  Geno had an 8-8 season his rookie year with a dogsh*t team.  Sanchez went 9-7 with the best roster we've ever had, and in his rookie season had a 5-INT game and lost despite 300+ rushing yards.
Geno also had a much better profile coming out of college than Sanchez did.  And since we took him in the 2nd rounder, there were much lower expectations on him.
Both terrible QB's but I felt better about Geno after his rookie season than I did Sanchez.  
Lol Sanchez was a much better prospect coming out of college. Geno was a scrub in college, I think his senior year 80% of his passes were thrown less than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Sanchez had a chance and he was the last QB I was ready excited about. I knew Geno was dog sh*t from his draft day antics on.

Sam is much more highly respected as a prospect, but I haven't seen anything yet to make me think he's going to end our franchise QB search...yet

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, funaz said:

Lol Sanchez was a much better prospect coming out of college. Geno was a scrub in college, I think his senior year 80% of his passes were thrown less than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Sanchez had a chance and he was the last QB I was ready excited about. I knew Geno was dog sh*t from his draft day antics on.

Sam is much more highly respected as a prospect, but I haven't seen anything yet to make me think he's going to end our franchise QB search...yet

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Wasn’t 80% but he had a TON of quasi-handoffs/technically passes (a 1 foot flip forward) to Austin and Bailey where those two dudes took them for massive gainers for TDs. 

Geno Smith sucked in college. He put up massive numbers against crap teams early on in the season (6 TD games against the likes of James Madison) and folks started talking up the Heisman and number 1 pick and then when he started playing real teams, no one ever again mentioned the Heisman or number 1 pick. 

But the POS still thought he was a first rounder and pouted like a bitch when he didn’t go in the first round. 

Literally my least favorite Jet of all time and that includes Tebow. 

Was happy when Enempkali busted his face. 

A tool and an asshat. 

12 hours ago, funaz said:

71.2 % completions, 8.1 YPA, 42 TD to 6 INT.  I don't care if he was throwing passes to a weapons group of prime Jerry Rice, LaDainian Tomlinson and Kellen Winslow Sr.  That's damn impressive.  

And what's more, Geno actually HAD a Senior year.  He was a 3-year starter, which gave him a huge leg up on Sanchez, who started just 1 season and his own coach admitted he wasn't ready for the pros.  

By every important metric, Geno was the better prospect than Sanchez.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Wasn’t 80% but he had a TON of quasi-handoffs/technically passes (a 1 foot flip forward) to Austin and Bailey where those two dudes took them for massive gainers for TDs. 

Geno Smith sucked in college. He put up massive numbers against crap teams early on in the season (6 TD games against the likes of James Madison) and folks started talking up the Heisman and number 1 pick and then when he started playing real teams, no one ever again mentioned the Heisman or number 1 pick. 

But the POS still thought he was a first rounder and pouted like a bitch when he didn’t go in the first round. 

Literally my least favorite Jet of all time and that includes Tebow. 

Was happy when Enempkali busted his face. 

A tool and an asshat. 

revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

71.2 % completions, 8.1 YPA, 42 TD to 6 INT.  I don't care if he was throwing passes to a weapons group of prime Jerry Rice, LaDainian Tomlinson and Kellen Winslow Sr.  That's damn impressive.  

And what's more, Geno actually HAD a Senior year.  He was a 3-year starter, which gave him a huge leg up on Sanchez, who started just 1 season and his own coach admitted he wasn't ready for the pros.  

And yet Sanchez was clearly the better Professional, not that that is saying much.  Geno was and is the definition of a bust QB.  Fell out of the first because enough teams knew he was immature and unsuited to the challenge of the pro level, failed utterly as a starter, got his nose broke over ripping off a teammate, lost his job, can't earn another, now a professional clipboard holder.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not by a long shot. Stats in college mean nothing, and no one considered Geno a top 10 talent. Geno's numbers were inflated by playing with TWO NFL caliber recievers who he would dump a 1 yard pass to and they would take it 40 yards. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, funaz said:

Not by a long shot. Stats in college mean nothing, and no one considered Geno a top 10 talent. Geno's numbers were inflated by playing with TWO NFL caliber recievers who he would dump a 1 yard pass to and they would take it 40 yards. 

And playing against James Madison and Big 12 defenses. 

Massively inflated stats.

Austin and Bailey were the stars of that team.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, Warfish said:

Would you agree?

Given that he stays fully healthy, I expect Sam to be a Top 10 QB this year... (Secretly I am hoping for Top 5.... I know, I am crazy.)

I expect a Carson Wentz year 2, who was on pace for:

4000 yds

40 TDs

a 4.7:1 TD to INT

60% Completion rate... Although I think Sam will be higher in the 65-70% range

And I think Sam could beat these numbers.

Wentz only had Blount and Sproles at RB which I believe Powell, Ty, and Bell are certainly better.

I think RA can be better then Torrey Smith

I think Quincy is good but Alshon is certainly better then anything the Jets have.

And I think that Crowder can be much better then Agholor in the slot.

Herndon is not Ertz but he is still a hell of a TE.

So the weapons in all, should be about equal if you ask me.

I know, I know OL... but I was talking potential with skill players... 

35 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Given that he stays fully healthy, I expect Sam to be a Top 10 QB this year... (Secretly I am hoping for Top 5.... I know, I am crazy.)

I expect a Carson Wentz year 2, who was on pace for:

4000 yds

40 TDs

a 4.7:1 TD to INT

60% Completion rate... Although I think Sam will be higher in the 65-70% range

And I think Sam could beat these numbers.

Wentz only had Blount and Sproles at RB which I believe Powell, Ty, and Bell are certainly better.

I think RA can be better then Torrey Smith

I think Quincy is good but Alshon is certainly better then anything the Jets have.

And I think that Crowder can be much better then Agholor in the slot.

Herndon is not Ertz but he is still a hell of a TE.

So the weapons in all, should be about equal if you ask me.

I know, I know OL... but I was talking potential with skill players... 

That would be a dream.  I hope you're right.

I do wonder, pessimist that I am, if Jets Fan Nation has perhaps.....too high expectations.

But I do deeply hope you're right.  We've been beat down so long, sometimes it's hard to think the best will happen.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

That would be a dream.  I hope you're right.

I do wonder, pessimist that I am, if Jets Fan Nation has perhaps.....too high expectations.

But I do deeply hope you're right.  We've been beat down so long, sometimes it's hard to think the best will happen.

You guys have been beat down so long, hit the bottom and leaped up to the entitled azzhole level of my fellow USC fans.

You all suck.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Good stats in college don’t automatically project to good pro performance. But poor stats absolutely can. IE if you can’t complete 60 %+ of your throws in college you’re basically guaranteed not to hit that mark in the pros.