We’ve (nj.com) watched the Jets’ starters for a month. Let’s just say the playoffs are a long shot

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

I didn’t write this article , but any football fan can tell you the Jets have no chance against the Raiders.  Maybe 2020 when the Raiders again come to MetLife, they will give the Raiders a better game.

At a certain point, I think we all have to assume you've had a brain injury.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I can see that, but his reasoning for the Redskins and Raiders losses are just not right!  yeah the Jets will lose to the skins because we cannot handle winning a few games in a row?  really?

and then the Steelers game too.  well we will most likely be eliminated from playoffs so we just roll over.  I'm not saying we should/will beat them, but the reasoning is off.

i think we can win 2 out of the following 3  - redskins, raiders, bills away.  but i think we lose to dallas.  8-8 feels like the ceiling but i would be happy with that if Sam is coming along nicely. 

• Upvote 3

11-5 AFC East Champions.

We only play 3 games again legit franchise quarterbacks all season, so our CB problem isn't really that much of a problem, pass rush and Gregg schemes should take care of that.

Darnold, Bell, the dynamic WR's, and Gase can put up significant points.  Patriots begin the fade.  Jets rise faster than expected.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's currently unemployed.  I imagine he's still collecting some money from the Jets to not work.  

Yeah I already knew that, having fun with a rhetorical question.

If not for Arians Bowles would be Out of the league also, unless of course he would take multi steps down to be a d backs coach again, like he was for over 20 years on multiple teams, NONE of whom saw real coaching potential to even up him to DC...again, 5 or 6 different teams he was a d backs coach for over 20 years.

Mike Westhoff In Bowles 1st year...”the guy doesn’t even know how to make adjustments...he’s going to be a disaster”.  Media buried that quote until he was finally fired.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

11-5 AFC East Champions.

We only play 3 games again legit franchise quarterbacks all season, so our CB problem isn't really that much of a problem, pass rush and Gregg schemes should take care of that.

Darnold, Bell, the dynamic WR's, and Gase can put up significant points.  Patriots begin the fade.  Jets rise faster than expected.

SAR I

Couple of swing games there that could be trouble (Browns, Pats (2), @Buffalo, Ravens, Cowboys, Eagles, Steelers) They would have to win 3 of those and sweep the rest.

34 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Couple of swing games there that could be trouble (Browns, Pats (2), @Buffalo, Ravens, Cowboys, Eagles, Steelers) They would have to win 3 of those and sweep the rest.

Teams we should be able to beat (10 games):

Bills x2
Browns
Jags
Dolphins x2
Giants
Redskins
Raiders
Bengals

Teams that will be a challenge (6 games):

Patriots x2
Eagles
Cowboys
Ravens
Steelers

Lose 2 in the first group (say, Bills and Redskins) and win 2 in the second group (say, Patriots and Steelers) and we're 10-6 and in the playoffs.

This is an easy schedule with no travel, only three games against scary quarterbacks, and half the hard games at home.  Coaching and quarterback play are improved.  We got the right free agents.  When we're 2-0 and the talk of the league, perhaps then people will have a little faith.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

winnow.jpg

If you saw the 2020 schedule, you'd know that this is the year to challenge for the playoffs, not next year.

SAR I

Other than the West coast travel, that's not a tough schedule based on the Patriots (Brady 43- Edelman 35), Chargers (Rivers 38), Rams entire Oline is old! Broncos (Flacco 35), Home games Jets could go 7-1, 8-0. 

Sam Darnold will be joining the Elites in 2020, JD will get a stud WR, CB & fix the Oline. 

I think the analysis done here was credible, but this type of analysis should not assume a choke game.  There will always be those on both sides.  The analysis should only be based on the teams' relative strengths and weaknesses, on paper, on what we know today.

So based on that I would modify the OP's prediction to 8-8, beating the Redskins.  

Will there be surprises in both directions, win and lose?  Yes, but 8-8 makes the most sense to me.  

The 32 teams seldom end up as predicted, and new coaches tend to overachieve because of an inability to prepare for them.  But the Jets' first 6 opponents are just so much better than them.   They will look much better at the end of the season, but the hole may be too deep. 

But I don't think they lose to the Redskins.  

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I didn’t write this article , but any football fan can tell you the Jets have no chance against the Raiders.  Maybe 2020 when the Raiders again come to MetLife, they will give the Raiders a better game.

Umm you say everyone thinks that the Raiders are better, right?

Let's just check Vegas odds...

New York Jets

• To make the playoffs +210
  • To miss the playoffs -250

Oakland Raiders

• To make the playoffs +450
  • To miss the playoffs -600

crazy insanity GIF

Guess the general public overall disagrees with you... 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We have terrible corners and no pass rush.  The hope early in camp/preseason was that we'd be better in those departments.

The offense looks great.  But like the article said, expect a lot of shootouts.  

Honestly, after watching the slop for the past few years i’ll take it. This wasn’t going to be a one year fix unless mac had a monster draft that all clicked. 

• Sympathy 1

The playoffs are a long shot. This team is still way lacking talent. Adding a few nice players doesn't equal a metamorphosis when the team was horrible to begin with. The OL MUST get better.  The CB group MUST get better.  Edge rusher MUST get better. With all these dire needs, what makes you think the Jets would have a shot at the playoffs?

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Other than the West coast travel, that's not a tough schedule based on the Patriots (Brady 43- Edelman 35), Chargers (Rivers 38), Rams entire Oline is old! Broncos (Flacco 35), Home games Jets could go 7-1, 8-0. 

Sam Darnold will be joining the Elites in 2020, JD will get a stud WR, CB & fix the Oline. 

Disagree, I think 2020 has the toughest road schedule in team history.  Hell, if the Dolphins game is played in Miami in September, all 8 games are killer.

SAR I

31 minutes ago, Icer said:

It's a quarterback driven league, provided Darnold is who we think he is and the Oline keeps him protected we will win many games that we would have lost at any other point since we had Pennington or Fitztragic's fluke year

Let's give Mac up until 2018 to have figured it out.    The Trumaine Johnson was not smart.  It would have been nicer to have gotten smarter quicker.  But's lets say Mac drafts Darnold and then immediately gets it and starts to draft much better and fills some holes better in FA.  If he did that, the Jets would be a much better team right now.  

We can go through the drafts and find the picks, but there are so many boneheaded ones over the 2-3 years, and enough younger players helping their NFL teams, that if Mac was able to do his job just a little better after drafting Darnold, I think 2019 is playoff.  But he did not, so it will take JD another off season to fix it.  

I think we will finish between 7-9 and 9-7. I don't think this defense will be horrible by any stretch, more like average. The corners are a problem but we have some players on D and I think Williams is going to get the most out of them. He will scheme so much better than the trash D coordinator we had the last few years. 

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I think we will finish between 7-9 and 9-7. I don't think this defense will be horrible by any stretch, more like average. The corners are a problem but we have some players on D and I think Williams is going to get the most out of them. He will scheme so much better than the trash D coordinator we had the last few years. 

My initial reaction to Williamson's injury was that he was the one player we could afford to lose.  I was wrong.  

To run the defense this team needs, we needed another capable mobile LB.  Lee maybe could have been it.  I think Williamson's lost costs 1-2 games.  

2020 or bust!

• Upvote 1