the destruction of sam

kmnj

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

fans waited since the marino mistake for a franchise qb and most thought sam was that guy-this franchise has done everything they can to ruin him. They did not draft offensive line , did not draft any wrs , gave him a terrible coach to "mentor" him and now they are talking about taking away the only two skill guys he has around him in robby and bell-if the team does move robby and bell they should just sit sam the rest of the year or they will ruin him for good.. Sadly for Sam next year will be more of the same.  I feel bad for Sam he has been set up to fail and seems like a good kid that was put in a terrible spot.

I mean, we all knew this would happen. He’s young enough where he can still recover. With or without the Jets. I expect him to be in this league for a long time. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Has it occurred to any of the people who make this now-daily thread that if a quarterback can be "ruined" by adverse circumstances, then maybe said quarterback wasn't that good to begin with?

You’d think the example of Minshew succeeding in similar circumstances would drive this home.

• Upvote 3

Just now, dbatesman said:

Has it occurred to any of the people who make this now-daily thread that if a quarterback can be "ruined" by adverse circumstances, then maybe said quarterback wasn't that good to begin with?

No.

Coaching matters, being beat up behind a bad o-line can cause problems, not building any supporting cast around him is a problem.

It's not one thing - it's many and it's causing him to regress.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

You’d think the example of Minshew succeeding in similar circumstances would drive this home.

minshew has a better coach , better line and better wrs and his team is not talking about moving the talent from himk

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Has it occurred to some that he isn't broken and just had  couple of bad games and may look better going forward? 

He looked great against Dallas. Horrible against the Pats. Had some good moments against Jags. 

That's 3 games and one of those games everyone thought he was AMAZING. Can we just let the rest of the season play out before talking about his destruction?

He's 22.  You know that LSU QB that's lighting it up for LSU? He is also 22. 

• Upvote 1

Darnold gets 2020 to prove himself, Douglas will build him a line. I expect mine two very high picks on linemen and one in F.A. Minimum.

This season is gone we need capital, to build this broken roster. The Jets are about to fold as a locker room no point wasting time wee are know how bad it is. We have to watch the sh*t every week.

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I used to argue the same thing. Now I'm not so sure. Repetition becomes habit and under these conditions, the only habits he's incorporating are bad ones.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Excuse me actual quarterbacks never have to face adversity that’s why they’re franchise players 

• Haha 1

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
      By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
      That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
      But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
      I cremated Sam McGee.
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Nope.  There are two options in outcomes of a game, win or unprepared, just as there are two options in Sam Darnold's outcome, FQB or ruined.

22 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I used to argue the same thing. Now I'm not so sure. Repetition becomes habit and under these conditions, the only habits he's incorporating are bad ones.

he can fix the throwing motions.  unfortunately gase basically let him get away with it in the cowgirls game and they were in full view against the jags.  granted he didn't get much time to set his feet but if he wasn't set he should have thrown the ball away instead of forcing a throw.

22 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The thing with Sam too is he has almost no repetition as a good QB playing good football. He was raw when he got here and every game he plays is still a sizable chunk of his overall experiance 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Had some good moments against Jags. 

This reminds me of when Pennington used to throw a pick six that cost the team the game, and then in his press conference tell everyone that outside of 1 or two throws, he played great.

• Sympathy 1

They're not destroying Sam. He's been sick and injured. Plus the O-line isn't good etc. The CS is trying to coach him up and they aren't inexperienced idiots. It's also on Sam you don't expect him to play as poorly as he did against NEP. He needs more blocking help, a blocking back or someone in the backfield to help the O-line. He has to also get the ball off quicker. We heard the same excuses for Mark Sanchez that he was being ruined. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

fans waited since the marino mistake for a franchise qb and most thought sam was that guy-this franchise has done everything they can to ruin him. They did not draft offensive line , did not draft any wrs , gave him a terrible coach to "mentor" him and now they are talking about taking away the only two skill guys he has around him in robby and bell-if the team does move robby and bell they should just sit sam the rest of the year or they will ruin him for good.. Sadly for Sam next year will be more of the same.  I feel bad for Sam he has been set up to fail and seems like a good kid that was put in a terrible spot.

Yes, but if you have the right Mental makeup you get through it and learn what you can during that timeframe. When the team does improve you should along with it. Don't want to keep hearing about Carr on the Texans since he obviously was not tough enough mentally. Darnold may be and we will see moving forward. 

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:
There are strange things done in the midnight sun
      By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
      That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
      But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
      I cremated Sam McGee.

I think we're going to need @New York Mick to weigh in on this one.

Sam is a VERY YOUNG qb and was drafted to be the face of the franchise-the team is doing everything they can to make him fail-bad coaching, bad offensive line and very few weapons and they are talking about taking away bell and robby leaving him with who? the over rated jaq te that has not played all year? The greatest qb of all time would not be able to handle the situation the Jets have and are putting Sam in. If they do indeed move bell and robby just shut sam down-there is zero benefit to having him play with no line , no coaching and no weapons.  It is possible(I doubt it and hope it is not the case) that Sam is not going to be a great or good qb in the league but that result will .