Leonard Williams Trade

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

The giants intend to sign him too so good chance we will be getting a 4th next year

A high pick in the 3rd and 4th round next year will be very valuable. Douglas should have a lot of ammunition this offseason to build a contender next year 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Amazing how we lost the one pick for years who was you-know-who’s pride and joy best pick, in what should have been his highest-motivation year as a UFA after this season, and on the field the team has missed him less than not at all.

It just sucks that we had to absorb so much of his remaining salary to get mid-round picks for this turd. We paid all but the last 2 weeks of his $13-14MM salary just to pry a couple mid-round picks off them next year. So yes we got back a nice 3rd round pick (plus a mid-rounder in 2021 which has a round lower value for 2020), but it wasn’t a straight-up “free” trade; we bought that 3rd round pick from the Giants for most of his remaining $6MM. 

Should have just rescinded the 5th year option in March, take the 3rd round comp pick in 2020, and saved $11MM in cap room. Never mind the hindsight benefit we’re using: if he got injured in those first 7 weeks (like so many other Jets) we’d have ended up with nothing. 

I've never heard anyone complain about getting a third round pick.  But okay...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

hmmm,

Isn't everyone saying the same thing about Quinnen Williams?

I understand what the problem is: people think every high first-round DT has to be Kris Jenkins and Charles Haley in one. DT is about doing the dirty work, which doesn't always show up on a stat sheet.

Meanwhile, NOBODY can run on the Jets. He's a big part of that, if only because he takes rotations.

• Upvote 2

One would think that losing Leonard Williams in the middle of the season would somehow hurt our run defense, but the opposite has seemed to happen.  I mean, our run defense has never been so strong, and this is without CJ Moseley and Avery Williamson, our 2 starting inside linebackers.

Just amazing!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Maybe in 4 more years we can flip Q for the same haul. 

That’s getting old dude. The kid has only played a few games into his career.  Sure he may not have the eye popping sack numbers but we need to have patience for a change.  He had made a difference despite what some claim

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Did Joey D pull a rope-a-dope? 

We were on this terrible losing streak, word on the street was Jets are looking to dump their BEST PLAYERS for draft picks.

Somehow, Leonard Williams was tagged as guy with untapped potential because he's playing with bums. Joe D SHRUGGINGLY agrees to GIVE LEO away for a #3 & maybe as high as a #4 if the Giants sign him. 

Jets win 3 in a row since the trade ?. Giants keep losing. A high 3 baby! 

• Sympathy 2

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The giants wont sign him.  He stinks.

Yes they will, otherwise Gettleman has to admit he made a mistake. Pride goeth before a fall - or something like that. A 3rd and a 4th will be a windfall and the Jets won't have to give Leo a big chunk of the cap.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

22 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

A high pick in the 3rd and 4th round next year will be very valuable. Douglas should have a lot of ammunition this offseason to build a contender next year 

We already have the third next year, but the 4th or 5th rounder will be a year later.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I've never heard anyone complain about getting a third round pick.  But okay...

We didn’t end up “getting” a 3rd round pick for him; we bought a 3rd round pick for him and $4MM. And that’s the best offer we got for a guy who cost the 6th overall pick in the draft. 

He had more value before the season, otherwise even the Jets would’ve rescinded the 5th year option. 

I’m obviously happier with something than nothing, but it’s hard to view his pick and Jets career and eventual meh compensation in return as a non-failure on balance. Not Gholston-level, of course, but still pretty bad. At least they didn’t compound the error by keeping him further. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

without CJ Moseley and Avery Williamson, our 2 starting inside linebackers.

LOL, I totally forgot about losing Avery Williamson.

We basically have OLB playing inside, which is ironic because Mac drafted a guy with these guys stature to play ILB. Only he never really panned out...

Anyway, really just needing a[nother] CB and an edge rusher. BTW,  I really liked how when they only rushed three, they held up in coverage. Against the top percentage passer in the league. Pretty impressive.

• Upvote 2

On 11/24/2019 at 4:56 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

We didn’t end up “getting” a 3rd round pick for him; we bought a 3rd round pick for him and $4MM. And that’s the best offer we got for a guy who cost the 6th overall pick in the draft. 

He had more value before the season, otherwise even the Jets would’ve rescinded the 5th year option. 

I’m obviously happier with something than nothing, but it’s hard to view his pick and Jets career and eventual meh compensation in return as a non-failure on balance. Not Gholston-level, of course, but still pretty bad. At least they didn’t compound the error by keeping him further. 

Who gives a crap if Williams was selected 6th in the draft.  After five years, I mean who cares? He was becoming a sunken cost... so, there move on.  Douglas is making the decisions now anyway.  Williams isn't his mistake.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

12 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Who gives a crap hoot if Williams was selected 6th in the draft.  After five years, I mean who cares? He was becoming a sunken cost... so, there move on.  Douglas is making the decisions now anyway.  Williams isn't his mistake.

lol ok

Also it’s a sunk cost not a sunken cost. Unless you’re drunken.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol ok

Also it’s a sunk cost not a sunken cost. Unless you’re drunken.

He had like one sack... a starting DL that you took 6th overall and you would get nothing for him?  So he's not adding anything to the team and he'll lose all value the moment the trade deadline goes.  If your paying him a salary and he's taking up a roster spot... that doesn't sound like a lot of value to me.

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

That’s getting old dude. The kid has only played a few games into his career.  Sure he may not have the eye popping sack numbers but we need to have patience for a change.  He had made a difference despite what some claim

How is that not the EXACT same excuse we kept saying for Leo for 4 years? 

It's not just sack numbers, guy is averaging about a single tackle per game. That's not going to work for a 3rd overall pick. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2