Game Observations (CIN)

KRL

4 hours ago, KRL said:

The Jets were slapped back to reality as they lost to CIN 22-6.  Issues
that had plagued the team before the win streak re-emerged as the OLine
was awful and penalties wiped out any big plays the offense generated.
And of course they had to make "history" as they lost for the second
time to a winless team:

- The only positive things on the day were Sam Ficken kicking two FG's
to prevent a shutout.  The run defense (44 yards) and Sam Darnold being
decent as he wasn't helped out by any of his teammates (no protection
and tons of drops)

- Lachlan Edwards and Braxton Berrios were awful.  Edwards punts were 
short and CIN started every drive at their 40 or better.  With the offense
pinned back inside the 20 on practically every drive Berrios needed to
take a chance at least once and return a punt.  Also he had a drop on
a huge 3rd down on the first drive of the game

- The lack of pass rush was evident as Dalton had all day to throw.  With
Jamal Adams having a bad foot there was no consistent pressure.  With
no pressure Dalton picked apart the zones the secondary played

- The few times the offense did have a big play the OLine made sure to 
put a stop to it with awful penalties.  Kelvin Beachum cost the team at
least 5 points as he had a block in the back on a Bilal Powell screen
into the red zone.  And a hold in the end zone cost the team a safety.
And Tom Compton stifled any possible momentum on the first drive of the
second half with a holding penalty away from the play.  As LeVeon Bell
converted a 3rd and 15 draw play

- Out of nowhere there were at least 5 drops today.  The Berrios one
mentioned earlier and a Robby Anderson drop in the end zone were absolute
killers 

The best thing about this game and the winning streak ending is it prevents
any false evaluation of the roster.  The OLine, pass rush and CB's HAVE to
be the main focus in free agency and the draft

Uh well. Many have declared that Sam was THE problem today. Perhaps headline for some is: Sam Darnold lost to the Bengals today. sarc

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Man among our MANY needs we need a #1 Wr.  Mike Williams just makes a mind boggling amazing catch on 4th and 11 for the chargers to give them a chance.

So many Wrs that make their QBs look great several times a game, we are just happy if we have no awful drops (which we had several today)

I thought the exact same thing as I watched Williams come down with that catch. It's unreal how low our expectations have become (been?) for our wide receivers. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Man among our MANY needs we need a #1 Wr.  Mike Williams just makes a mind boggling amazing catch on 4th and 11 for the chargers to give them a chance.

So many Wrs that make their QBs look great several times a game, we are just happy if we have no awful drops (which we had several today)

1 minute ago, BrooklynJetFan said:

I thought the exact same thing as I watched Williams come down with that catch. It's unreal how low our expectations have become (been?) for our wide receivers. 

Been saying this for years. We masquerade guys who many think are #1 WR's or others say teams don't need a #1 WR. 

Glaring need a #1 WR. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Uh no. Many have declared that Sam was THE problem today. So you will have to correct that. Make the headline; Sam Darnold lost to the Bengals today.

Darnold was part of the problem today if you want to believe it or not

there are many problems with this team and right now Darnold is part of it 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Denver smart football throw the ball downfield and hope for a pass interference call. 

yes they were but that was a BRUTAL PI, just awful.  And the fact that the NFL has refuted countless way more obvious calls via replay once again makes the NFL a sheer and utter joke

14 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

I have zero expectations for our WR's, OL, HC.

And that's an entirely understandable position to take. I know it's been said time and time again, but I still find myself utterly astonished by how many positions we need to address just to attain "average" or "mediocre" status, WR and OL being two of the most glaring, to me at least.

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

You almost wonder whether the Jets threw the Miami and Cincinnati games to keep the draft order interesting

Hopefully this keeps us in the running for Tristan Wilfs.  

I've had this thought as well...team looked slow and had zero energy throughout.

13 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

Darnold was part of the problem today if you want to believe it or not

there are many problems with this team and right now Darnold is part of it 

Absolutely he is part of it. They are ALL part of it. Sam is a significant piece.

• Upvote 1

Nice write up but Special Teams killed the Jets in other ways.  Twice Montgomery took the ball out of the end zone and failed to reach the 20.  Both times there was a holding call and the Jets started a drive from their 7 yard line rather than the 25.   Absolute stupidity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

Nice write up but Special Teams killed the Jets in other ways.  Twice Montgomery took the ball out of the end zone and failed to reach the 20.  Both times there was a holding call and the Jets started a drive from their 7 yard line rather than the 25.   Absolute stupidity. 

In today’s NFL, I don’t see how anyone can take the ball out of the end zone on a KO

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

We should have re-signed Andre Roberts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Man the calls on KO returns are always suspect as all hell. There’s never a replay either because they’re cutting right to a commercial. Basically short circuits a drive before it starts. I think they’re calling holds to prevent guys from returning them/taking out of the EZ because the league office wants the play eliminated.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Uh no. Many have declared that Sam was THE problem today. Perhaps headline for some is: Sam Darnold lost to the Bengals today. sarc

And those either didn't watch the game or have no idea what they're talking about.  :) 

it was awful! I tried to watch the whole thing but I now suffer from Jets abuse syndrome..which means I curl up in the fetal position and put the blanket over my head during the third quarter and go to sleep for 2 hours.  When I wake up I have indigestion... and tomorrow morning I'll listen to the first two or three minutes of Joe Benigno and then I'll just start drinking.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

I've decided I want to break up with the Jets. I've decided that if we ever do even get to a Superbowl that I will never watch this team again win or lose. I just want my three decades of Sundays back LOL.

Getting to the big game would be like the kids being old enough now.. and then me and the Jets are getting divorced. Yay..

maybe I'll take up bird watching.. I'd have a lot less chance of getting s*** on

Go JETS  

• Haha 1