So My Wife Gave Birth to Twins...

Yeah, I'm sure you believe this today, but you'll definitely be passing it on.  It's just what's going to happen.  The only out is if you quit.  I've thought about that as a gift to my son, but my road trips with my father mean too much to me, and eventually him joining us is what it's really all about.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

On 10/2/19...one boy and one girl.

I will accept your congratulations in advance.  Thank you.

I am 34 years old, my wife is 35 years old.  We lived in the NJ/NY/PA area (both originally hailing from Northern NJ--spent our final years prior to relocating in the Hoboken greater area) until the summer of 2013.  In the summer of 2013, we moved west to Los Angeles to join some family and friends who had moved out here years back + live a more "well rounded" lifestyle--in our rose colored little eyes...

I digress.  My dad had season Jets tickets from 1988-2017.  I have told you all, he put in for Giants and Jets tickets and (naturally so), Jets tickets were first available. Of course.  Thus,  I was essentially born  a Jets fan.  Born into a "Jets family".  I had no choice.  My dad passed this on to me.  We went to games through the 90s, 00s, 10s and saw all of the pain and suffering first hand...a few good years in the early to mid 2000s with the suspects you all know so well...many a Sunday my dad would SCREAM at the TV or SCREAM at the radio on the way home from the stadium when we went to games...he definitely showed us what real anger and being emotionally unhinged looks like thanks to the NY Jets...

Fast forward to 10/2/19...for the past 10+ years my wife (girlfriend at the time) have been together, she could NEVER understand why I was a Jets fan...why my family was Jets fans (she inherited no team from her family being from a family of girls with a "not interested in sports" dad...but she always dated Giants fans--they had it a "lot easier", according to what she tells me)...she would always and still does say, "I don't get it, can't you just PICK another team? Let's find another team!...any team, let's pick another one" and she would go on and on and on about this...and I would explain that one does not "PICK ANOTHER TEAM"...that's not how this works...this will NEVER be how it works...I never did it and I will NEVER do that...

So, now with my two 8 week old children sitting here, we have (over the past few weeks) made a family decision to NOT pass down the family Jet fandom to our children...we can't do it...we won't do it...it would be a form of emotional/psychological abuse and negligence and we are unable to pass this terrible, terrible situation on to our children.  We made a decision and I am at peace with it..

I was torn about it at first but, it makes sense...I have a choice to make...they will have a choice...we live in Southern CA, they will have options, they will have colleges to root for, or other NFL teams or, they can do like most Angelenos, and surf/hike/make art/do an interpretive dance etc. on Sundays while the rest of the world is glued to the TV...

I won't pass this onto my children...

they are going to like the LA teams anyway.  They will make their own choices.  Would be different if you still lived here.  And they will know if you pretend you are not a Jets fan.  Just be yourself.  Let them make their own decisions.

And a double congratulations. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I am 34 years old, my wife is 35 years old.  We lived in the NJ/NY/PA area (both originally hailing from Northern NJ--spent our final years prior to relocating in the Hoboken greater area) until the summer of 2013.  In the summer of 2013, we moved west to Los Angeles to join some family and friends who had moved out here years back + live a more "well rounded" lifestyle--in our rose colored little eyes...

I digress.  My dad had season Jets tickets from 1988-2017.  I have told you all, he put in for Giants and Jets tickets and (naturally so), Jets tickets were first available. Of course.  Thus,  I was essentially born  a Jets fan.  Born into a "Jets family".  I had no choice.  My dad passed this on to me.  We went to games through the 90s, 00s, 10s and saw all of the pain and suffering first hand...a few good years in the early to mid 2000s with the suspects you all know so well...many a Sunday my dad would SCREAM at the TV or SCREAM at the radio on the way home from the stadium when we went to games...he definitely showed us what real anger and being emotionally unhinged looks like thanks to the NY Jets...

Fast forward to 10/2/19...for the past 10+ years my wife (girlfriend at the time) have been together, she could NEVER understand why I was a Jets fan...why my family was Jets fans (she inherited no team from her family being from a family of girls with a "not interested in sports" dad...but she always dated Giants fans--they had it a "lot easier", according to what she tells me)...she would always and still does say, "I don't get it, can't you just PICK another team? Let's find another team!...any team, let's pick another one" and she would go on and on and on about this...and I would explain that one does not "PICK ANOTHER TEAM"...that's not how this works...this will NEVER be how it works...I never did it and I will NEVER do that...

So, now with my two 8 week old children sitting here, we have (over the past few weeks) made a family decision to NOT pass down the family Jet fandom to our children...we can't do it...we won't do it...it would be a form of emotional/psychological abuse and negligence and we are unable to pass this terrible, terrible situation on to our children.  We made a decision and I am at peace with it..

I was torn about it at first but, it makes sense...I have a choice to make...they will have a choice...we live in Southern CA, they will have options, they will have colleges to root for, or other NFL teams or, they can do like most Angelenos, and surf/hike/make art/do an interpretive dance etc. on Sundays while the rest of the world is glued to the TV...

Somebody on JI had a funny signature about digging up his fathers corpse to punch it in the face for making him a met jet and I believe he had nets in there also

Gotta pass it on, that’s how it works 

My son is 6 months today. Whatever it is, however the team does - at the end of the day we’re fans. It’s simply entertainment for us. But sharing those experiences and that fandom is something I look forward to as he and my future children grow.

Congrats on the twins - you’ll 100% pass your fandom to them, and you’ll 100% love it. At least till they’re old enough to make their own decisions ?

14 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Well first of all congratulations. Great news.

About the Jets thing, I am not a fan of forcing the kids to root for anyone I root for. Instead I said to my son when he was four, hey we have season tickets. I am going to be there at the stadium every Sunday that they are home, for as long as I am alive. You can have a free ticket next to me for as long as I can afford to do that.

Or you can stay home with Mom and go food shopping. Your call.

He is 24, has been a season ticket holder for 19 years now and has only missed a few games when he has sporting events himself on Sunday along the way.

I don't think either of us would change it for the world. I looked at the Patriots fan video a few weeks ago when they lost to the Ravens. The guy in the stands was in his early 20's and he was crying. He didn't know how to handle a loss. A regular season loss made him cry.

The Jets have nothing but winning ahead of them. Darnold is going on a long run, two Super Bowls at least and winning, winning, winning.

Don't miss out. Don't do it, instead double down.

All that being said, the key to parenting is giving your kids the illusion of a choice. Let them decide. Just make sure the odds are lined up in the favor of the decision you want them to make.  :)

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

they are going to like the LA teams anyway.  Would be different if you still lived here.

I hope so AND hope they don't, at the same time...that's painful to think about...all these wishy washy morons running around here who don't know sh*t about pro sports (outside of the Dodgers and when the Lakers make a run)...that's tough to come to terms with.

But I can't PROACTIVELY AND CONSCIOUSLY put this team on another generation in my family...I just can't do it...

1 minute ago, Anthony Jet said:

Somebody on JI had a funny signature about digging up his fathers corpse to punch it in the face for making him a met jet and I believe he had nets in there also

Gotta pass it on, that’s how it works 

I know...I can't do it.

I am a Jets/Yankees/Devils/Villanova fan so, thankfully, the Jets are the most painful franchise I am involved with...but, I can't do it...

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Well first of all congratulations. Great news.

About the Jets thing, I am not a fan of forcing the kids to root for anyone I root for. Instead I said to my son when he was five, hey we have season tickets. I am going to be there at the stadium every Sunday that they are home, for as long as I am alive. You can have a free ticket next to me for as long as I can afford to do that.

Or you can stay home with Mom and go food shopping. Your call.

He is 24, has been a season ticket holder for 19 years now and has only missed a few games when he has sporting events himself on Sunday along the way.

I don't think either of us would change it for the world. I looked at the Patriots fan video a few weeks ago when they lost to the Ravens. The guy in the stands was in his early 20's and he was crying. He didn't know how to handle a loss. A regular season loss made him cry.

The Jets have nothing but winning ahead of them. Darnold is going on a long run, two Super Bowls at least and winning, winning, winning.

Don't miss out. Don't double down.

All that being said, the key to parenting is giving your kids the illusion of a choice. Let them decide. Just make sure the odds are lined up in the favor of the decision you want them to make.  :)

Respect that.

That was my dad.

But now we live 3000 miles away...I have a buffer and a cushion to give the kid(s) an out...

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My son is 6 months today. Whatever it is, however the team does - at the end of the day we’re fans. It’s simply entertainment for us. But sharing those experiences and that fandom is something I look forward to as he and my future children grow.

Congrats on the twins - you’ll 100% pass your fandom to them, and you’ll 100% love it.

congrats to you + god forbid.

I am so afraid to do this to a poor, innocent child...

appreciate the kind words and humor.

I needed it.

I can't imagine looking my son in the eyes, when he gets old enough, to say, "son, we are Jets fans"...that seems like a real problem...all the tears, all the headaches, all the anger, frustration, suffering, sadness, depression, anxiety, and on and on on and on...all from the Jets...