10 day rest to prepare for a Steelers game at home following tough Pitt loss on SNF

jetstream23

Discussion leading up to the Pittsburgh game....

The Jets final two games of the year are against the current AFC Wildcard teams, the Steelers and Bills, who fought each other in a tough game last night.  I don't see the Jets winning either game but it won't be for lack of opportunity.  Coming off the Thursday night loss to Baltimore the Jets have 10 days to prep for a home game against Pittsburgh.  I think this is their best chance at one more victory this season.

The Pittsburgh D scares me more than the Pittsburgh O.  Buffalo had a tough time moving the ball although Singletary got loose here and there.  I think this is a tough matchup for Darnold and the O.

The Jets will need to rely on their stout run defense again to contain John Connor and hope that Gregg Williams can work a little magic to stop Duck Hodges and the Steelers offense.

With the playoffs in reach, I can't see Tomlin allowing the Steelers to have a letdown vs. the Jets and look ahead to their Week 17 matchup with the Ravens.  BUT, a Steelers loss to the Jets would set them up for a potentially crushing end to the season with 3 straight losses (Buff, Jets, Ravens) and a likely playoff spot miss to a team like the Titans.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

i would love nothing more than to play spoiler and beat the Steelers, possibly crushing their playoff hopes. It would warm my heart for the holiday season seeing all their fans at Metlife in tears. 

This - and it would make the Bills sweep (Jets should have won first game) a little more tolerable, especially if the Bills beat the pats* and take the AFCE

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think the Jets will beat the Steelers, even though there will be a ton of Steeler fans in the stadium:  

• I believe both Adams and Williams will play
  •  Jets are 4-3 at home
  •  Steelers aren't that good

Neither Jamal or Williams will play. Calling it now. 

Jamal's agent ain't letting him tarnish his stock over two meaningless games. 

Williams just blows and the Jets know it. He doesnt have the strength to make it the entire season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

53 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Neither Jamal or Williams will play. Calling it now. 

Jamal's agent ain't letting him tarnish his stock over two meaningless games.

Fair point.

53 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Williams just blows and the Jets know it. He doesnt have the strength to make it the entire season. 

This is just stupid.  I'm sorry.  Not calling you stupid....but those two sentences combined are a heap of stupid.

I like that the Jets finish the year against two AFC Wildcard teams.  Those teams are in it!  They're competing, they want to win, they're jostling for playoff seeding, etc.  This is a great test and a pair of "measuring stick" games at the end of the year that hopefully solidify just how bad the Jets are, how far away they are from competing with Wildcard caliber teams, and if there are any strengths whatsoever that the Jets can carry into 2020.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I like that the Jets finish the year against two AFC Wildcard teams.  Those teams are in it!  They're competing, they want to win, they're jostling for playoff seeding, etc.  This is a great test and a pair of "measuring stick" games at the end of the year that hopefully solidify just how bad the Jets are, how far away they are from competing with Wildcard caliber teams, and if there are any strengths whatsoever that the Jets can carry into 2020.

I like it in theory, but these games won't tell us anything we don't already know. Also, the Bills game might not mean anything for them after this coming weekend. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I wish I could say I care but I really could not care less. They lost me after losing to winless Miami and again to winless Cinci. Anything before of after was/is fools gold.

Yep! That’s where I’m at too. However I’ll still watch both because I am a junkie that cannot kick the habit.

PIT defense is legit and is another good growth test for Darnold going into the off-season.
But Devlin is pathetic and has no business being a starter, if Adams and Williams play
the defense should rack up some nice stats.  This will be a low scoring game so hitting
FG's will be important

Pittsburgh's offense is really something awful and the Jets defense has played below their statistical averages for the last two weeks with Adams out. Hard to tell how this one will go but if Adams plays the numbers should favor the Jets, but on the other hand Darnold hasn't laid a huge turd in a little while now and the odds say at least one of his last two won't go well given the caliber of defenses he's facing. Either way I'm intrigued.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Fair point.

This is just stupid.  I'm sorry.  Not calling you stupid....but those two sentences combined are a heap of stupid.

Fair enough. I get that they may have hope for him, but it's well documented that he isnt physically strong enough right now. That comes from his own mouth, production on field, and injury history so far. 

The Pittsburgh pass rush is scary. I fear that Gase is going to have a good game plan early, the Jets will be creative. Then he will get complacement and just drop Sam back to get slaughtered. No empty back fields. Sam has to avoid mistakes. This needs to be a NO interception game. The Pitt passing game is terrible right now. Stop the run and grind it out on offense.

The Pitt D is very good but their secondary is their weak spot. Josh Allen missed on several opportunities to complete passes to open receivers simply due to his inaccuracy. Sam can hit an open receiver, but I do not know if the Jets O line will give Sam the same amount of time as the Bills O line gave Allen.  Also, while I am an advocate of Sam using his legs when opportunities arise, someone tell Sam to get down quickly because whenever Allen ran it was clear that the Pitt D viewed it as an opportunity to make a big hit and cause a fumble. Query, when does a JT Watt football punch attempt that misses the ball and becomes a punch to the chest or stomach of the ball carrier become a personal foul for roughing? Or, do the rules allow a furious punch of a ball carrier in the course of a tackle attempt?

Is Mason Rudolph really so bad that Duck Rodgers is a better option? Rodgers reminded me of a weaker-armed, less inaccurate, smaller, and slower version of Ryan Fitzpatrick. I expect the Steelers O to run, run, run against the Jets D.  My over/under for pass attempts is 18.

This is a game the Jets can win, but it will require the O to produce 20 to 24 points. I just can't see the Steelers scoring 20 unless they get Defensive or Special Teams TD's.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The Pitt D is very good but their secondary is their weak spot. Josh Allen missed on several opportunities to complete passes to open receivers simply due to his inaccuracy. Sam can hit an open receiver, but I do not know if the Jets O line will give Sam the same amount of time as the Bills O line gave Allen.  Also, while I am an advocate of Sam using his legs when opportunities arise, someone tell Sam to get down quickly because whenever Allen ran it was clear that the Pitt D viewed it as an opportunity to make a big hit and cause a fumble. Query, when does a JT Watt football punch attempt that misses the ball and becomes a punch to the chest or stomach of the ball carrier become a personal foul for roughing? Or, do the rules allow a furious punch of a ball carrier in the course of a tackle attempt?

Is Mason Rudolph really so bad that Duck Rodgers is a better option? Rodgers reminded me of a weaker-armed, less inaccurate, smaller, and slower version of Ryan Fitzpatrick. I expect the Steelers O to run, run, run against the Jets D.  My over/under for pass attempts is 18.

This is a game the Jets can win, but it will require the O to produce 20 to 24 points. I just can't see the Steelers scoring 20 unless they get Defensive or Special Teams TD's.

Great point on Watts missed punch. How the hell is that not a personal foul? Does the NFL want tacking or guys running around throwing punches? I hate the NFL more each week. Let's switch Watt (Steelers) to Hewitt (Jets), and Hewitt punches at the ball & misses, I guarantee you he gets a personal foul.