Demario Davis is a 1st Team All Pro

Alka

How do the Jets let a First Team All Pro middle linebacker walk away to another team?

I guess he isn't a edge rusher or a cornerback, so his position isn't that important, like the safety position?  Of course, I'm being facetious, but I'm sure people will think the point is correct.

I think you want to accumulate all pro players, but that's just me.

The fact is, the Jets would have had to pay Davis, and they didn't want to do that, so he walked.  But yet they payed CJ Moseley, and he missed the season.

Imagine if we had both Demario Davis and Jamal Adams, two all pro defensive players, playing together this year?  I wondered if that would have made a difference.

Probably not, since our offensive line was never going to get us to where we needed to go.

i realize that if CJ Mosely stayed healthy, our defense would not have missed a beat.  So, we let our middle linebacker walk, sign CJ Moseley, have Williamson, and try to sign Barr from Minnesota.  Then we draft a defensive tackle, after last year where we drafted a defensive tackle in the third round.

I guess we wanted to be able to stop the run this year.  Mission accomplished!

• Upvote 3

Jets fans love elite players until you have to pay them elite money. Then it’s “Screw him! Trade him for a mid-rounder or let him walk.”

Then we go out and get half the player at 80% of the cost in FA or burn a first rounder to replace him ignoring the OL and skill positions yet again.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Bowles did not know how to use Davis.  We all thought that Williamson was an upgrade.  Davis got killed on wheel routes, but maybe the ILB should not be covering those.  

This one goes to show you the power of coaching and the power of people who want to continue to improve.  Not all players are cooked after four years.  

• Upvote 1

If memory serves correct, most on this board pissed on the smurf Demario Davis when he was here. Kind of like JamalPro.

No you’re thinking of Darren Lee, who deserved to be urinated on. Davis always played hard, always. He wasn’t elite with us but he was solid on the field and a class act. Had he served a career as a Jet he’d have been a player to be proud of and we let him walk.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, David Harris said:

Fkn Terrance Mathis clone 

James farrior too

this is a one way street with the jets- we never end up with studs on the back end

This just shows that players can actually improve over the years. We like to give up on people and call them busts after 8 games around here. "Quinnen Williams, Edoga, Darnold etc). 

Demario Davis was the exact kind of player to retain and allow to develop. There are others but in todays immediate gratification norm it's less and less likely.  Patience and development. That's the mark of a true franchise. let's hope the Joe Douglas regime is more like this than we have been. 

Good for Demario Davis!!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

It's weird how letting good players walk such as Davis or wanting to trade Adams for draft picks because he's a safety "doesnt make a difference" to the success of the team, yet I also hear how if Darnold had talent around him the Jets would be much better. 

That's pretty bipolar. 

5 hours ago, southtown24th said:

good for him.

can't keep em all!

Which did we keep? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It's weird how letting good players walk such as Davis or wanting to trade Adams for draft picks because he's a safety "doesnt make a difference" to the success of the team, yet I also hear how if Darnold had talent around him the Jets would be much better. 
That's pretty bipolar. 

Truer words never spoken.

• Upvote 1

That's pretty bipolar. 

Which did we keep? 

Truer words never spoken. And stuff

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's pretty bipolar. 

Which did we keep? 

Nobody was ever offering up a 1st rounder (let alone more than that) for Davis, Adams isn’t 30 years old looking for a new contract, and Davis wasn’t looking for a WR/CB/EDGE/LT contract, all wrapped into one. 

If we turn down a 1st rounder (or a 1st + 3rd that I’ll believe we can get when I see it), it’s like over-drafting him all over again AND signing him to a premium UFA contract. In other words, it’s keeping a safety instead of 2-3 other starters the team needs more desperately than retaining one of its safeties.

Without Adams, the team needs are:

1. LT
  2. LG
  3. C
  4. RG
  5. RT (though I suppose they’ll go with Edoga here or at G for 1 more season)
  6. WR1
  7. WR2
  8. EDGE OLB
  9. CB 1/2
  10. NB
  11. SS
  12. and it’d be a smarter move to lock up our FS this year because he becomes a UFA in 2021 and there’s no 5th year option for him
  13. plus RB, though they’re locked into hoping for a rebound season from Bell

It’s a hard sell to convince me that #11 on this list is more important than 3 others (2 of them being a 1st round pick and a premium/premiere free agent).

We’re perfectly capable of losing with him and winning without him. Just the way it is, no matter how highly one feels about him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Demario Davis is worth so much that Gregg Williams and @Villain The Foe's boy John Forsey traded him straight up for Calvin Pryor who they cut like a month later 

Perhaps the Saints are just smarter than everyone else.  They got Teddy Bridgewater for a third round pick, that we wasted on Polite, and then signed Demario Davis.  Bridgewater was worth the 3rd round pick.  See how the Jets did when Darnold went down?  We could have used Bridgewater. Davis was healthy; CJ Mosely didn't finish one game. The good organizations make the right moves, and the Jets seem to make all the wrong moves.

Let's cross our fingers that Joe Douglas does a better job.

• Upvote 2