Cromartie, of all people, says Gase should be replaced

Dcat

Chalk this one up as belonging in the Stranger Things files:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/antonio-cromartie-calls-for-adam-gases-job-wants-jets-to-hire-eric-bieniemy/ar-BBZQh53?ocid=spartandhp

Antonio Cromartie calls for Adam Gase's job, wants Jets to hire Eric Bieniemy

Spencer Aber

1 hr ago
Add Antonio Cromartie to the list of people who don’t believe Adam Gase is the right man to lead the Jets.

The cornerback spoke to TMZ about his feelings toward Gase, and he didn’t exactly give a ringing endorsement. One of the main reasons Cromartie doesn’t like Gase is because of the way he uses and treats running back Le’Veon Bell.

“We don’t give our running back the ball in the second half of a game,” Cromartie said. “It just shows you that you’re trying to say that you don’t need him.”

Gase was reportedly against paying a 27-year-old running back, Bell, a lucrative contract, but former general manager Mike Maccagnan did it anyway. Bell received a four-year, $52.5 million deal from the Jets, but his usage was limited in 2019 and he had one of the worst years of his career.

During the season, Gase seemed to avoid handing the ball off to Bell in the second half of games. He claimed it was because of the game flow, but there were plenty of times when the Jets could have used him. Meanwhile, in the one game Bell missed due to an illness, Gase made it a point to run the football with Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery.

If Cromartie had his way, he would have fired Gase after the season, despite him leading the team to a 7-9 record after a 1-7 start. As for who Cromartie would replace him with, he would go straight to Andy Reid’s staff and hire his offensive coordinator.

“I would go get Eric Bieniemy,” Cromartie said.

Bieniemy did interview for the Jets job after the 2018 season, but New York elected to go with Gase instead. He interviewed for a handful of openings this offseason but didn’t get hired.

To the dislike of Cromartie, Gase will be the Jets’ head coach in 2020. Christopher Johnson guaranteed him another year during the middle of last season. Whether Cromartie likes it or not, Gase isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

MORE:

The 5 biggest free agent successes in Jets history

A handful of ex-Jets are preparing for their XFL debuts

The 5 biggest free agent busts in Jets history

Former Jets GM used hunting, fishing to bring Brett Favre to New York

The Perfect Offseason: Here's how Joe Douglas, Jets should hope things go in coming

• Haha 1

Enough already!!!  This "Gase hate" is beyond boring now.  After going 6-2 in
the second half of the season he's not going anywhere.  He's going to get at least
another year to prove he's the answer or the problem.  With that being the case how
about "football writers" actually write about football???

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Eric bienemy? Because he was a glorified intern for Andy Reid?

Unless someone can show that it was bienemy that pushed for the chiefs to draft Mahomes and Hill, there is no reason to think he has had anything to do with the Chiefs success.

Agreed!!!  Bienemy has had a lot of interviews over the the past two years
(Jets included) and hasn't been close to getting a HC job.  Why???  He either
doesn't interview well or isn't really the OC

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To be fair, HBO apparently told him to list his kids slowly, making it seem like he couldn't remember them all.

Granted, Cromartie was too dumb to see what they were trying to do at the time.  

i was less bothered by that than immpressed how many of them were 3 or turning 3 soon. Busy year for Cro

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, KRL said:

Agreed!!!  Bienemy has had a lot of interviews over the the past two years
(Jets included) and hasn't been close to getting a HC job.  Why???  He either
doesn't interview well or isn't really the OC

I mentioned this a few months ago but there are some slight off-the-field concerns with Bienemy.  Most agree that he's a good, capable coach and should get a shot at some point as a HC, but owners and front office folks are reluctant to make him the face and leader of their football team given some past transgressions and legal issues.  Just rumors but that seems to be what's holding him back a bit.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I mentioned this a few months ago but there are some slight off-the-field concerns with Bienemy.  Most agree that he's a good, capable coach and should get a shot at some point as a HC, but owners and front office folks are reluctant to make him the face and leader of their football team given some past transgressions and legal issues.  Just rumors but that seems to be what's holding him back a bit.

Didn't seem to affect Matt Patricia.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That and the last time he had real play calling responsibilities (not the half-assed ones he has now, where Reid calls the shots) he was an utter trainwreck.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Again, No one brought this up when Doug Peterson and Matt Nagy were Reid's OC. Give the guy his credit.

I slammed Nagy last time this was brought up since he's trending downward right now and his lack of true play-calling experience was a big knock on him.  Right now the biggest complaint that Bears fans have with Nagy is, not shockingly, play-calling.  Pederson had two years of actually calling plays in KC.

I'm not going to give credit to the Chiefs version of Dowell Loggains.  Sorry to disappoint you.  He could end up being a good head coach, but right now there are massive risks associated with him.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The last two Chiefs OCs to get head coaching jobs are a combined 12 games over .500, with four playoff appearances, three division titles, and a Super Bowl win.

I get your point, but Matt Nagy is far from a proven thing and is trending in the wrong direction right now.  It's looking more and more like Vic Fangio's defense is the reason for his year 1 success.  The Andy Reid tree is not without it's massive busts (ex: Childress, Shurmer from the offensive side).

"Look at me I'm irrelevant and need a full time broadcasting gig."

Cromartie is taking his Pelosi pills.  Like her, it's the wrong time to go against what's clearly obvious.  The Jets like Adam Gase.  So do the fans.  He earned our respect after the 6-2 finish.

SAR I

45 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I get your point, but Matt Nagy is far from a proven thing and is trending in the wrong direction right now.  It's looking more and more like Vic Fangio's defense is the reason for his year 1 success.  The Andy Reid tree is not without it's massive busts (ex: Childress, Shurmer from the offensive side).

I’m not really sold on Nagy either. It was more the lollercoaster of calling a Reid OC a “glorified intern” when Adam Gase is your coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Incidentally, I wouldn’t call Brad Childress a massive bust either. He ended up 4 games above .500 with a pair of ten-win seasons and was one boneheaded Favre play from a Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 2

"Strength of schedule" is an NCAA thing not an NFL thing.  Perfect example
is NE last game against a "weak" MIA team.  They played at Foxboro with a
#2 seed and a bye at stake.  And they lost, no one in their right mind
thought that would happen.  There are no fractional wins in the NFL they
all count the same

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, KRL said:

"Strength of schedule" is an NCAA thing not an NFL thing.  Perfect example
is NE last game against a "weak" MIA team.  They played at Foxboro with a
#2 seed and a bye at stake.  And they lost, no one in their right mind
thought that would happen.  There are no fractional wins in the NFL they
all count the same

Considering that everyone thinks this team is primed to take a big leap next year, it seems like the fact that we couldn’t beat any decent teams might be relevant. But also yeah sure any given Sunday

• Upvote 2