Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

45 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I have to agree that the numbers for both Vaitai and Glasgow look very good.  $11M per year for Glasgow and $10M for Vaitai.  Those were easily doable by this team.  There has to be something else at work here.

We are the NY Knicks of football. They just don't want near us lol. I’m trying to chill out and let the process work itself out but the well is running dry.

Van noy and dorsett don't really do anything for us. I hope Joe D doesn't pay for them. I like him avoiding top dollar FA, we shouldn't really being going after that and build in draft, but seriously not liking payin gofr other team trash. Even Van Noy who is good player, doesn't really do anything for us. I mean if he comes cheaper sure, but seeking him out doesnt seem that good of a deal. 

Dorsett, most likely wouldn't do great here, he would be more of same, that being said if it is significantly cheaper than robbie I am all for it, if not take a roll of the dice on UDFA and draft for me.

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

OLB Dante Fowler

ILB C.J. Mosley 

ILB Avery Williamson

OLB Kyle Van Noy

That LB corps coupled with a rotating DL of McLendon, Q. Williams, Anderson, Shepherd, Fatukasi, Phillips, etc. gives us one helluva front seven that should keep us in a lot of games.

Couple that with an improved OL and WR corps and this team could potentially win 10+ games even if we have a deficiency at a position like CB.

What improved OL if you spent all the money in the LBS

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Getting Connor McGovern instead of Glasgow is like getting Julius Randle instead of Zion Williamson .. well maybe not to that extremity but you get the point.

Nah, that's not a good example.

Getting Julius Randle in FA makes no sense, neither does signing 3 more Power Fowards to go along with Randle ?

21 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I do think he's an upgrade over Jordan Jenkins

Perhaps the Van Noy interest is to get Jenkins to sign at a lower price.

Also, Dorsett to get Robby to sign at a lower price too.

Also, could be figuring out what the market would be for similar type of players. 

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking the strategy may be to get over the compensatory picks "hump" for future offseasons. 

If we sign just a few FAs for low prices this offseason, we may be in for a huge comp pick haul next year, and then plan to keep that process going. 

JD may be willing to take it on the chin for 1 offseason to start that up. THAT would be emulating his mentor as closely as possible. 

Just now, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I love how everyones freaking out. We're 7 hours into free agency. Who have the Steelers signed? How about the cowboys? Pats? Packers? Eagles?  Etc.

Douglas will make some moves, but he's not going to be throwing money around like macaggnan was last year (Mosely and bell) 

You mean the good teams?  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

What improved OL if you spent all the money in the LBS

Go sign guys like Van Roten and Wisniewski to short term deals, bring back Alex Lewis, sign an aging vet to play RT like Bryan Bulaga or Jason Peters, hopefully draft the best available OT at #11 and then another OL within the first 3 rounds.

LT Andrew Thomas 

LG Greg Van Roten

C Stefen Wisniewski 

RG Alex Lewis

RT Bryan Bulaga

I could live with that OL for at least a year.

2 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I love how everyones freaking out. We're 7 hours into free agency. Who have the Steelers signed? How about the cowboys? Pats? Packers? Eagles?  Etc.

Douglas will make some moves, but he's not going to be throwing money around like macaggnan was last year (Mosely and bell) 

Those teams are actually good.  They get the benefit of the doubt.  Our last two GMs were failed abortions.

2 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Part of me agrees with you; but all those teams already have good offensive lines.

We’re going into our third year with our franchise QB and needed a massive overhaul of our offensive line. 

I’m legitimately pissed about Glasgow. Vaitai and Conklin I understood after I saw the money, but we’ll see how things go. It is best to be patient but I wanted to at least grab one of the top tier o-lineman, and Glasgow was my guy. 

Seems like it’s gonna be RE-signing Beachum, some second tier guys in free agency and hopefully a boatload of draft picks on o-lineman. 

6 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I'm thinking the strategy may be to get over the compensatory picks "hump" for future offseasons. 

If we sign just a few FAs for low prices this offseason, we may be in for a huge comp pick haul next year, and then plan to keep that process going. 

JD may be willing to take it on the chin for 1 offseason to start that up. THAT would be emulating his mento as closely as possible. 

Everything he has said in the past does not back up this logic. 

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It really comes back to one major factor. Can Douglas draft like his mentor?

If he can then it's basically the Idzik plan realized properly. Sign a bunch of lower tier FAs and then draft young talent

If he can't, then more of the same. 

yeah , it is a great plan that could lead to great results, but if you miss on your 40 draft picks then it all falls apart. fingers crossed. No matter opinion, it is the correct way to build a team that has so many holes. paying for top tier FA is for people that are missing a final piece

Just now, JTJet said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell. 

If you listened to any of his interviews he said he was not concerned about compensatory picks. Maybe in the future that could be a different story with an improved roster but it is definitely not the case this year......we need too sign some of these guys because our roster is barren at many positions. 

9 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

All those teams you named are good teams. The Jets are a bad team in desperate need of talent. They need to add talent at premium positions. 

Byron Jones, Jack Conklin, Graham Glasgow, James Bradberry all could have helped this team.

• Sympathy 1

I think it’s possible that Douglas, like many of us, sees the value that OL and WR hold in this draft class and may want to instead use the FA period to make a big splash at edgerusher.

Pressuring the QB has plagued this team for nearly two decades and signing a combo of Van Noy and Fowler/Clowney could go a long way towards fixing that immediately.

This EDGE draft class is nothing to write home about after Chase Young and the Jets can’t be dicking around with some 2nd rate edgerusher if they have a shot at one of the top OT’s or WR’s at #11 anyway.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

If you listened to any of his interviews he said he was not concerned about compensatory picks. Maybe in the future that could be a different story with an improved roster but it is definitely not the case this year......we need too sign some of these guys because our roster is barren at many positions. 

Hey dont shoot the messenger lol. I agree with you 100%. But maybe he was just keeping his actual plan close to the chest. Idk. Just trying to make heads or tails over here.