Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

You have to be willing to overpay if you want to fix your O-Line in Free Agency. You have to sometimes break the bank for players. Jets have to be willing to do that if they are serious about protecting Sam. You can't sit back and pinch pennies on players because they are good, but probably not worth what they eventually sign for.

You think Sam Darnold gives a damn what Glasgow, or any other lineman in Free Agency is making if he can do the job and protect him? That's the most critical thing the Jets need to do. PAY SOME OFFENSIVE LINEMAN AND GET THEM IN HERE.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Pcola said:

And if we are going to completely build through the draft while still losing the young talent (Anderson and Jenkins) then we are in a perpetual rebuild.  

When the team drafts as poorly as we have, it is going to take several years and several “Home runs” in the draft before we contend.

I remember the difference Faneca and Woody made to the entire organization.  Haven’t signed any free agents like them since.

Wheres the report that we're losing Anderson?

And this team has never drafted under JD.  If hes drafting just like Macc and Idzik, then yes we're screwed no matter who we sign or lose

I can't buy that Douglas' primary goal was just Thuney.  He had to know that there was a good chance Bill would franchise him.  If only not to lose him to the Jets.  Either JD was going to wait until the market played out and then pick up on the stragglers... or he was hoping he got lucky and that the Pats let Thuney go without a tag.

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I can't buy that Douglas' primary goal was just Thuney.  He had to know that there was a good chance Bill would franchise him.  If only not to lose him to the Jets.  Either JD was going to wait until the market played out and then pick up on the stragglers... or he was hoping he got lucky and that the Pats let Thuney go without a tag.

Either that or the strategfy could be to get aggressive int he second tier of FA.  There are still guys out there like Glasgow, Mcgovern, Bulaga, Peters, Alex Lewis.  I am sure there are other guys I am missing.  Plenty of options to improve the OL.  The offseason Thuney/Conklin threads were always pipe dreams.

I am willing to see how these few days plays out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Either that or the strategfy could be to get aggressive int he second tier of FA.  There are still guys out there like Glasgow, Mcgovern, Bulaga, Peters, Alex Lewis.  I am sure there are other guys I am missing.  Plenty of options to improve the OL.  The offseason Thuney/Conklin threads were always pipe dreams.

I am willing to see how these few days plays out.

i think this has been the bigger plan to begin with.. Sounds like the big fish they were chasing was thuney and once he got franchised they threw their hats in the ring for a few other guys but nothing super aggressive.  This team needs A LOT of players, i think everyone needs to understand just how many players we need to sign to fill out this roster.  If i had to guess this second tier of FA and the third tier even are going to be where JD does the most damage. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Still guys like Brian Bulaga and Jason Peters out there.

Neither is a longterm solution but both would provide solid, veteran bandaids for a year or two.

Why would they want to sign with the Jets? They want to compete for a championship.

Didn’t we think that Conklin would go for more than $14mm/year?   Isn’t that the number you look at, not the $20mm he gets paid in year 1?  Isn’t it a good thing that he wants a 3 year contract so he can hit the market again, rather than Trent Williams who is stuck in year 5 with a below market contract?

$14mm for Conklin is pretty good.  I also thought we would pay around $10mm for Vaitai? Why do we want to pay $9mm for a G that the Lions let go rather than pay $10.1 for a T?

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Didn’t we think that Conklin would go for more than $14mm/year?   Isn’t that the number you look at, not the $20mm he gets paid in year 1?  Isn’t it a good thing that he wants a 3 year contract so he can hit the market again, rather than Trent Williams who is stuck in year 5 with a below market contract?

$14mm for Conklin is pretty good.  I also thought we would pay around $10mm for Vaitai? Why would we want to pay $11mm for a G that the Lions let go rather than pay $10.1 for a T?