Combine News, Notes & Updates

Lith

29 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Jimmy Miller is great, seems like a pretty cool guy. Kirwin is a bit of a dickbag

he can be a hardass but I agree with his opinions way more often than disagree.  I think he gets it.  Too bad he and the rest of the FO didn't when he had an office at Hofstra. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

I always chuckle when one of you bring up Kotite. He's a neighbor of mine, we live in the same golf community. He's a really nice person, loves to talk football, and is in incredible shape. The guy is always in our gym working out, really hits the weights hard.

Not much of a golfer though, lol.

nice guy.  Really bad head coach.  Just ask any NFL team fans wearing green.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

nice guy.  Really bad head coach.  Just ask any NFL team fans wearing green.

Yeah but Myrtle Beach is one of those places people migrate to from all over the country.

It's funny watching 50-60ish year old Jets and Eagle fans, who you know hated the guy for years, get all giggly and starry eyed when they meet him.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2020 at 11:45 AM, Warfish said:

If only the Jets were willing to make a move with their Strong Safety, the O-line and WR positions could be addressed for the next half-decade at a minimum.  With Sam (if he makes big strides in year 3 and beyond), the Offense would be prepped for some legit multi-year production (for the first time in a decade+).

It is, to my thinking, the greatest misuse of available assets possible to sit on a guy just because he's good, when so clearly a greater and more vital need exists.

Take what we can get, of course, but anything less than 3 new starting O-line and 2 new starting WR's, a legit #1 and legit #2, out of this class will be a missed opportunity and disappointment, in my books.

so you expect 3 starting o-linemen, a legit #1 wr and a legit #2 wr from one draft class? put down the crack pipe

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Chase Young had a great answer to why he is not working out at the combine, something like "I am training to be a football player not a combine player" LOL

Yup.  But the truth would be that he has nothing to gain.  He is likely going top 3 regardless.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

rewind the whole week.  It's combine time.  They actually gave them one of the best broadcast booths in the place.  Pete Carroll was a riot yesterday when he said he remembered the first time they were at the combine sitting on 2 folding chairs with their laptops placed on upside-down garbage cans in the tunnel between the locker rooms.  Carroll was VERY funny.  Talked about how "depressed" he is (guy wouldn't know depressed if it hit him in the face).

Do you ever wonder what would have been had Hess given Carroll a chance?

My therapist made that thought disappear from my mind as a  condition to keep working with me years ago.?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

They had many of the top OT's on Movin' the Chains today. (do a rewind if you missed.)  I only heard about half hour while in the  car for the interviews with Whirfs and Becton but heard the earlier discussion about the round 1 class.    

I'll be fine with the ones that they interviewed and discussed. Sadly, the need to anchor the OL outweighs everything else.  Mac not only killed our chances when he was around, but left an open wound that still handicaps us today.  Would have loved a WR there.  But it is what it is.  <grumble> 

Love that show. It is must listen to radio the weeks leading up to the draft. Their mocks are tremendous.

22 hours ago, 14 in Green said:
I always chuckle when one of you bring up Kotite. He's a neighbor of mine, we live in the same golf community. He's a really nice person, loves to talk football, and is in incredible shape. The guy is always in our gym working out, really hits the weights hard.
Not much of a golfer though, :rolleyes: He usually plays very early in the morning, and doesn't get involved in any of the big money games.

Most of these guys are ok fellas when it’s all said and done. I only know him as football coach. Good offensive mind. Terrible HC
I used to wear a Ditch Rich shirt around

Tell him
I said hello

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 2

What’s moving the chains, a tv show or podcast?  I’d like to listen 

It’s only the finest of all football talk shows. One of the hosts is pat Kirwan who is our old director of player admin. Our contract guy. He’s awesome and so is co host former QB Jim Miller.
Sirius XM is worth grabbing just for the NFL channel alone with moving the chains being the best of em!
@Dcat and I found that common thread last year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am assuming some teams jsut want to see Edwards-Helaire and McFarland run routes and do WR drills.  Not consider position change.

Depending on Claypool's blocking talent, he could potentially be another Kelce/Kittle type player.

I personally love the guy.... but I'm a ND fan. Sorry Lith Notre Dame Touchdown GIF by Notre Dame Fighting Irish

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, neckdemon said:

so you expect 3 starting o-linemen, a legit #1 wr and a legit #2 wr from one draft class? put down the crack pipe

I was about to say that.

2 1st year starters, and 3-4 solid contributors who become starters would be a great draft.   It's not like we have 4 first rounders.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Dcat said:

rewind the whole week.  It's combine time.  They actually gave them one of the best broadcast booths in the place.  Pete Carroll was a riot yesterday when he said he remembered the first time they were at the combine sitting on 2 folding chairs with their laptops placed on upside-down garbage cans in the tunnel between the locker rooms.  Carroll was VERY funny.  Talked about how "depressed" he is (guy wouldn't know depressed if it hit him in the face).

Do you ever wonder what would have been had Hess given Carroll a chance?

Kotite was available.  Couldn't pass that up.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Depending on Claypool's blocking talent, he could potentially be another Kelce/Kittle type player.

I personally love the guy.... but I'm a ND fan. Sorry Lith Notre Dame Touchdown GIF by Notre Dame Fighting Irish

No need to be sorry.  I have nothing against Notre Dame; espeically since we swept them in the home and home over the last couple of seasons. 

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2020 at 11:42 AM, MindOverMatter said:

He has giant hands, and will probably run mid 4.2's. Scouts are going to love him. Jeudy is a great route runner and he's pretty athletic and savvy, but he won't blow up the combine like Ruggs could.

Athletic, saavy and a great route runner vs. Big hands runs fast.  Hmmm.  I've seen this movie before.

7 hours ago, neckdemon said:

So you expect to compete to win a Super Bowl on a team built around a highest-paid in-NFL f'ing Box Safety?

It's fine, many of my fellow Jets fans have simply accepted sucking on offense, and refuse to demand or hope for better.

One of the worst offenses in the NFL for 30 years and counting.  Try to fix it?  NO WAY!  We have to keep our super duper Box safety!

lol.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

So you expect to compete to win a Super Bowl on a team built around a highest-paid in-NFL f'ing Box Safety?

It's fine, many of my fellow Jets fans have simply accepted sucking on offense, and refuse to demand or hope for better.

One of the worst offenses in the NFL for 30 years and counting.  Try to fix it?  NO WAY!  We have to keep our super duper Box safety!

lol.

Warfish is to Adams as Ahab is to Moby Dick

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Warfish is to Adams as Ahab is to Moby Dick

I'll repeat, I have no issue with Adams.  He's a very good box safety.

I have an issue with being pretty much the worst offense in the NFL for THIRTY YEARS RUNNING.

It's unacceptable.  It just is.  I am sick of the all-defense, screw the offense reality that is being a Jets Fan.

A Safety who gets sacks is a luxury anomaly.  Having a legitimate offense isn't.

It's fine, if I'm wrong, our Defense, led by Adams, will be top 10, and our Offense, which clearly doesn't need extra help, will be rebuilt through a few later picks and costly FA's, and will also be top 10.  All will be right with the world.  Can't wait.

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2020 at 10:52 AM, Greenseed4 said:

Ruggs came in with huge mitts, 10 1/8”

Ruggs is not the WR Lamb or Jeudy is.  

Lamb: 2019: 1327 yards/14 TDs

Jeudy:  2019: 1163/10TDs

Ruggs: 2019: 746/7TDs

You can keep johnny Lamb Jones (Devin Smith...Stephen Hill...).  I'll take the guy who plays football really well.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

@T0mShane says "hold my beer"

Remember in Moby Dick when Queequeg recognized that Ahab’s pursuit of the white whale was going to end up getting everyone killed so he had the ship’s carpenter build him a coffin because he—rightly—knew he was going to die? That’s how I feel about you people and Adams, except the coffin is for Sam Darnold.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1