Combine News, Notes & Updates

Lith

13 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Ok. Wait, what? Drinking beer without removing the bottle cap won't quench your thirst. I wouldn't recommend that either. 

My analogy was pretty simple.  Just because you CAN pay a SS a lot of money doesn't mean you SHOULD.  It's a poor allocation of resources.  Especially since you'd be giving up on draft capital you could get for him, which could be used on OL. 

I'd prefer to use two 1st rounders on OL, not just one.  The last time we used 2 first rounders on OL, we had one of the best drafts in franchise history.  Or, alternatively, use a 1st on OL and the other 1st on a WR.  We're very clearly taking the closest look at both the OL and WR groups right now.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm all good with taking an OL as long as it isn't  a reach. There is a possibility  that 3 of the 4 elite OL are gone by the tome we pick. If that os the case and no WR's are taken, I would opt to take the best WR and address OL in rounds 2 and 3

I can appreciate that but I would say that the 5th T is still as good as many first rd T's in other years.  The 5th is looking like Josh Jones. A true left tackle with good size and speed. He might be a touch more raw than say Thomas etc, but he would, be a fine pick at 11.  I just think there will be WR's that are comparable to the top 3 throughout the 2nd and 3rd rds. Potentially even later. Bryan Edwards could be anywhere from a 3-5th rd selection and would be an excellent pick up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My analogy was pretty simple.  Just because you CAN pay a SS a lot of money doesn't mean you SHOULD.  It's a poor allocation of resources.  Especially since you'd be giving up on draft capital you could get for him, which could be used on OL. 

I'd prefer to use two 1st rounders on OL, not just one.  The last time we used 2 first rounders on OL, we had one of the best drafts in franchise history.  Or, alternatively, use a 1st on OL and the other 1st on a WR.  We're very clearly taking the closest look at both the OL and WR groups right now.  

Your analogy was terrible. I get where you're coming from, but we have the resources to get at least one OL in FA and two in the draft, as well as a WR. If there is enough capital for an Adams trade, that fine, but if not, I'm fine with keeping him. As they say,  "Reciprocity has no circumference."

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Your analogy was terrible. I get where you're coming from, but we have the resources to get at least one OL in FA and two in the draft, as well as a WR. If there is enough capital for an Adams trade, that fine, but if not, I'm fine with keeping him. As they say,  "Reciprocity has no circumference."

Resources?  Yes.  Opportunity?  Doubt it.  Castonzo is off the market.  Conklin I'll bet ends up back in Tennessee.  That leaves precious few options on the FA market, especially at OT.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I am starting to warm up to the idea of Ruiz in round 2 if he's still there.  He is starting to feel like he could quietly be the best Center in this draft.  

I'm a big fan of Ruiz, probably my number one center prospect in this draft.

1 hour ago, derp said:

I don’t know if he gets there but Reagor at 48 > Ruggs at 11 IMO. I know this was a down year but Reagor checks a lot of boxes.

You think so? I get the feeling that for a guy with so much speed, Reagor struggled with getting open alot. He made a bunch of amazing acrobatic catches, but if he was better at seperating and route running those become less frequent because he would be getting open more. 

I only watched some tape, but those were my concerns. Definitely a talented kid though, could turn into a Laverneus Coles type.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

omF*ckingG

Dee Milliner, what a waste........

Kyle Wilson- Mo Wilkerson- Quinton Coples- Dee Milliner- Calvin Pryor, Leonard Williams- Darron Lee! 

These were our last 7 first round picks B4 Jamal Adams A+/Sam Darnold A+/Quinnen Williams (Incomplete?). 

You can't miss 7 first round picks in a row then compound it with horrible mid round picks too. That's why the Jets are where they are right now. 

Go back & look at 2010- 2016 (7 players) & see who else whiffed that bad. 

Bills- Stephon Gilmore, Sammy Watkins, Shaq Lawson.

Phins- Devante Parker, Leremy Tunsil (got great trade value)

Pats- Devin McCourty, Nate Solder, Chandler Jones, Donte Hightower, & no pick in 2016. (Look at this! This from a team that drafted between 28-32 during those years! Disgusting the way the Jets draft! 

No team in the AFC East drafted worse than us between 2010-2016. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Resources?  Yes.  Opportunity?  Doubt it.  Castonzo is off the market.  Conklin I'll bet ends up back in Tennessee.  That leaves precious few options on the FA market, especially at OT.  

Yeah, pretty slim pickings, but not impossible: Glasgow, Scherff, Thuney are more likely alternatives. OT should be pick at 11. Center in 3rd or 4th. 

Tackles

Bryan Bulaga
Anthony Castonzo
Jack Conklin
Demar Dotson
Jason Peters
Andrew Whitworth

Guards/Centers

Graham Glasgow
Ronald Leary
Brandon Scherff
Joe Thuney
Daryl Williams

Yeah, pretty slim pickings, but not impossible: Glasgow, Scherff, Thuney are more likely alternatives. OT should be pick at 11. Center in 3rd or 4th. 

Tackles

Bryan Bulaga
Anthony Castonzo
Jack Conklin
Demar Dotson
Jason Peters
Andrew Whitworth

Guards/Centers

Graham Glasgow
Ronald Leary
Brandon Scherff
Joe Thuney
Daryl Williams

I want nothing to do with any former Pats OL, so Thuney is out for me.

Scherff is wayyy overrated and will want to be wayyyy overpaid.  He's a slightly above average G who will want top 5 G money.  No thanks.

Glasgow I can roll with.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

You think so? I get the feeling that for a guy with so much speed, Reagor struggled with getting open alot. He made a bunch of amazing acrobatic catches, but if he was better at seperating and route running those become less frequent because he would be getting open more. 

I only watched some tape, but those were my concerns. Definitely a talented kid though, could turn into a Laverneus Coles type.

I thought he got open plenty. Quarterback play at TCU was pretty bad. Ruggs has enough red flags for me that, while he’d be fun to daydream about, I’m not remotely comfortable spending eleven on him. Reagor has some risk too but with significantly less draft capital investment. 

• Upvote 1

Tackles

Bryan Bulaga
Anthony Castonzo
Jack Conklin
Demar Dotson
Jason Peters
Andrew Whitworth

Guards/Centers

Graham Glasgow
Ronald Leary
Brandon Scherff
Joe Thuney
Daryl Williams

Let's see what type of recruiter Joe Douglas is. The Titans situation is very strange as their offensive MVPs, Tannyhill & Henry are both Free Agents. 

Can they give Conklin 15 million per year? 

I don't think there's anything more important than protecting Sam Darnold next year. Because Bell & Trumaine will be gone in 2021 go hard as hell for a couple of Stud Olineman & frontload their contract guarantees into the next 2 years. When I think about the money that went to guys like Trumaine, Leonard Williams, even paying Ryan Kalil 10 million last year, how could you not think its smart business to pay two proven Olineman? Plus a 3rd second tier guy so you'd still have Harrison with maybe a stud Rookie Center pushing him that we draft at #2 or our 1st #3? You could structure their contracts to make them the most cap friendly in 2022. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I would be perfectly content if the Jets entire draft this year was nothing but OL and WR.  Based on the players being interviewed, I like the way this is trending.

I would also be fine with trading down in the 1st if the O Linemen they really want are gone, and getting even MORE O Line and WR.

Maybe a corner or running back in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Based on the players being interviewed, I like the way this is trending.

Don't read too much into that.  I think the offensive players arrived in Indy a couple of days ahead of the defensive guys.  Will probably hear about plenty of edges and corners tomorrow and Friday.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Same conversation over and over.  I will try again.

Allocation of resources is only important if you have a limited amount of resources (which all teams do) and a larger supply of things of value to spend them on than you have resources (not necessarily true).  What I mean by that is if we can't attract enough valuable free agents to spend to our cap on, we will either have cap left over (which sucks this year because we can't roll it forward) or we will overspend on crappy FAs.  In those latter two scenarios, we would be far better off having spent $15MM on Adams and whatever on Robby than spending it on the equivalent of Trumaine Johnsons because that's all we could get in.  

Let's say we do what so many want and let Robby walk and trade Adams for a pick.  Now we are fortunate enough to sign a good OT in FA and still have $40MM left to spend net of draft picks.  But who's left?  We can spend $10MM on Emmanuel Sanders and $5MM on Prince Amakamura.   And now there's nothing left but trash so we have $25MM left over in cap space.  I guess we can burn too much on a backup QB like Mariota and we're still sitting on $15-20MM in cap room.

Do we now have a better team with those guys than we had with Adams and Robby?  Nope.  Not at all.  

IF we are able to sign guys like Conklin and Cooper and we need those salary amounts to balance the cap as a result, I'm fine with moving on from those guys.  But until we know that's the case, it is bad math to let them go and end up with cap savings you can't spend.  You can certainly disagree, but stop and think before you jump in to do so.   And if you are convinced we can definitely get a better player for this team in the bottom of the first round than Adams is, then you should question your hate for Adams because the last few decades of Jets draft history suggest that is definitely NOT the case.  

Moving on from Adams and Robby is not a requirement for success.  It might be a necessity if we have gotten more valuable players and need the cap room but that is the ONLY reason it would make sense.

Thank you for listening.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Same conversation over and over.  I will try again.

Allocation of resources is only important if you have a limited amount of resources (which all teams do) and a larger supply of things of value to spend them on than you have resources (not necessarily true).  What I mean by that is if we can't attract enough valuable free agents to spend to our cap on, we will either have cap left over (which sucks this year because we can't roll it forward) or we will overspend on crappy FAs.  In those latter two scenarios, we would be far better off having spent $15MM on Adams and whatever on Robby than spending it on the equivalent of Trumaine Johnsons because that's all we could get in.  

Let's say we do what so many want and let Robby walk and trade Adams for a pick.  Now we are fortunate enough to sign a good OT in FA and still have $40MM left to spend net of draft picks.  But who's left?  We can spend $10MM on Emmanuel Sanders and $5MM on Prince Amakamura.   And now there's nothing left but trash so we have $25MM left over in cap space.  I guess we can burn too much on a backup QB like Mariota and we're still sitting on $15-20MM in cap room.

Do we now have a better team with those guys than we had with Adams and Robby?  Nope.  Not at all.  

IF we are able to sign guys like Conklin and Cooper and we need those salary amounts to balance the cap as a result, I'm fine with moving on from those guys.  But until we know that's the case, it is bad math to let them go and end up with cap savings you can't spend.  You can certainly disagree, but stop and think before you jump in to do so.   And if you are convinced we can definitely get a better player for this team in the bottom of the first round than Adams is, then you should question your hate for Adams because the last few decades of Jets draft history suggest that is definitely NOT the case.  

Moving on from Adams and Robby is not a requirement for success.  It might be a necessity if we have gotten more valuable players and need the cap room but that is the ONLY reason it would make sense.

Thank you for listening.  

the main reason paying adams won't hurt the jets is b/c besides darnold there are no other draft picks to pay big money to.  it's an indictment of how bad the drafting has been.  with douglas instead of mccagnan, instead of paying cbs and Ilbs major money, we'll be overspending on OL b/c mccagnan and idzik never drafted any.  

if the jets drafted soundly for years like the ravens, they'd be able to let a guy like mosley walk in FA and then pay judon.  the jets have nobody else to pay.

• Upvote 2

I say we in vest heavy on the ol in free agency get Conklin move him to left tackle resign beachum short contract to battle edoga for right tackle sign thuney for guard even if you have to make those two ol highest paid do it. Rookie Offense line need time to develop and it’s rare to have them start and play well. And we’re talking about maybe the 3 or 4th option on jd board when we pick. So I say take the best wr on our board and do ol in fa. Then take a center or if a tackle slips take them in the 2nd

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

One offensive lineman by himself wont move the needle or help Sam either.

Yes, one O-lineman would help Sam (and Bell) greatly.

But Adams is not worth "one O-lineman".  He is worth, generally, a 1st Round Pick and a 3rd Round Pick.

That's an elite O-lineman prospect and a #2 starting WR.  

That's getting those two WITHOUT spending our own 4 top-round picks.

That means we can get THREE top-round O-line prospects (including a first rounder) AND TWO new starting WR's (including a first rounder).

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

You need 5 decent ones or the line is only as good as its weakest link.  Its the same with the defense.  Its still a team game

And trading Adams enables us, if Douglas is any good, to fill three of those spots for the next ten years.

Having to sign only ONE Free Agent O-lineman to pair with three draft picks and only one returning guy, completely revamping our weakest unit into potentially our best unit AND getting two new legit starting WR's AND only losing a pass-rush Safety?

I'm amazed, honestly, how few people seem interested in this.  For a team as bad, for as long, as us on Offense, 30 years of almost unending futility, we have a chance to re-make this organization and potentially join the legit offensive teams in the league.

But no.  We'd rather double down again on Defense (and an unusual Safety-driven defense at that) and hope the O just figures it out I guess.  Under Gase, the guy who hasn't sniffed a top Offense since he stopped holding Peyton's clipboard. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, one O-lineman would help Sam (and Bell) greatly.

But Adams is not worth "one O-lineman".  He is worth, generally, a 1st Round Pick and a 3rd Round Pick.

That's an elite O-lineman prospect and a #2 starting WR.  

That's getting those two WITHOUT spending our own 4 top-round picks.

That means we can get THREE top-round O-line prospects (including a first rounder) AND TWO new starting WR's (including a first rounder).

And trading Adams enables us, if Douglas is any good, to fill three of those spots for the next ten years.

Having to sign only ONE Free Agent O-lineman to pair with three draft picks and only one returning guy, completely revamping our weakest unit into potentially our best unit AND getting two new legit starting WR's AND only losing a pass-rush Safety?

I'm amazed, honestly, how few people seem interested in this.  For a team as bad, for as long, as us on Offense, 30 years of almost unending futility, we have a chance to re-make this organization and potentially join the legit offensive teams in the league.

But no.  We'd rather double down again on Defense (and an unusual Safety-driven defense at that) and hope the O just figures it out I guess.  Under Gase, the guy who hasn't sniffed a top Offense since he stopped holding Peyton's clipboard. 

1  You dont know what offers we received for Adams.  Saying we d get a first and third -you dont know the market or offers received-why not say two firsts???

2  Getting a first round pick between 20-33 isnt  a slam dunk to get an elite offensive lineman None of the top 5 lineman will be available by then 
Its unlikely that a team with many needs drafting lower would give up that much draft capital

3  If your plan is to get Sam killed its a good one.  I mean what are the chances that we draft 3 O linemen and they are all ready physically and emotionally to play 16 NFL games?  You make it sound like youre ordering from Amazon and all we have to do is hit the “ buy” button and we will magically get exactly what we ordered.  Even taking a starting Left tackle at 11 is not without risk- thats Sams blind side and whoever it is will be lining up against the best in the league every week.   Having 3 rookies starting is likely to make the line even more leaky

2 hours ago, RobR said:

I was never overly impressed with Biadasz....I see a third rounder.

Your opinion...

If Biadasz is there when we pick in the 3rd, should we take him? Is he good enough to start, and hold down the center position for the Jets going forward?

Or do you pass on him?

41 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

3  If your plan is to get Sam killed its a good one.  I mean what are the chances that we draft 3 O linemen and they are all ready physically and emotionally to play 16 NFL games?  

We're not drafting 3 OL to immediately start.  The plan should be to bring back Beachum and someone like Alex Lewis and sign 1-2 other band-aid OL while also drafting heavy on OL.  

Hopefully we'll find ourselves with a franchise LT and a couple other long-term starters out of the deal.