OT: I just tested positive with COVID

1 minute ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

whos attacking who? Who’s the paranoid one? I see a lot of mean words pointed towards at me. I think you are confusing “ facts” with opinions. 
how do you know what could have stopped the spread? Because some so called expert said so? 
It’s a so called FACT that communist China who was trying to silence people over the Virus no longer has any more cases? Do you believe you really believe that?

There have been countless viruses over the history of the world - the only proven way to stop a pandemic is ISOLATION.  Look it up - its not too hard to find thousands of accounts of this online,  This aint rocket science.

8 minutes ago, deucebag said:

YOU made this a political argument - NOT ME.  Name one thing I said about Trump (or Governor Murphy) that was NOT a fact.  I stated an estimate of how many people will get sick and die - that was an opinion and that was the only thing that was an opinion.  Did you see the projections put out by Rutgers today - they said 1.3M NJ residents will get Covid-19.  NJ has 16,400 hospital beds.  if the projected 20% are serious we will need 260,000 hospital beds.     

Wrong person.

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

The lack of information is the scary part. We are committing economic suicide to prevent something that a lot of the data suggests isn’t worth the sacrifice...

would you be surprised to find out that there are actually 11 million people with the virus worldwide? Probably not right? Well 11m cases gives us a death rate better than the flu (with a much smaller % being children which typically are hit hardest by the flu) 

You could have stopped at "lack of information.." The stuff after that is not helping.

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

If Cuomo shuts down liquor stores, I'm going to have....issues. 

Should have stocked up. Do you have Total Wine stores in your area? It's basically a supermarket of booze with the best selection and best prices. I walked into mine today and they were stocked to the gills.....I'm talking pallets of beer and booze throughout the whole store. Wish the grocery stores were the same but we're set up pretty good here on my end.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Should have stocked up. Do you have Total Wine stores in your area? It's basically a supermarket of booze with the best selection and best prices. I walked into mine today and they were stocked to the gills.....I'm talking pallets of beer and booze throughout the whole store. Wish the grocery stores were the same but we're set up pretty good here on my end.

I'll be fine. I have several friends who own bars. They know that a freestater without any whiskey is not a good thing for society in general. ?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, deucebag said:

YOU made this a political argument - NOT ME.  Name one thing I said about Trump (or Governor Murphy) that was NOT a fact.  I stated an estimate of how many people will get sick and die - that was an opinion and that was the only thing that was an opinion.  Did you see the projections put out by Rutgers today - they said 1.3M NJ residents will get Covid-19.  NJ has 16,400 hospital beds.  if the projected 20% are serious we will need 260,000 hospital beds.     

Most of which you stated was politics. You staid “Trump ****ed over the country”. That is an opinion.

You said that “people believe their are entitled by the Constitution to live free from any government intervention and do WTF they want.” 
that is a political opinion. One that Fidel Castro, Koseph Stalin, Carl Marx and Mao Zedong would agree with. 

you said we are headed to a crisis “worse than the Great Depression” that is a political opinion

please stop the hypocrisy 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

@NYallDay best to you and your family.  Hope you have a swift uneventful recovery.

+1

My experience was similar.   A few weeks ago.  The doctor had me come in, told me it was something else and there was nothing he could do. 

I had this too, but about three weeks ago. This weird congestion and cough that wouldn’t go away. I saw two different doctors and they were both like “yeah, everyone has that now.”

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

I bought a mixed case of reds and 2 bottles of Dewars.  Let’s get through this.....

• Upvote 1

This thread went off the rails.  All we know is highly contagious, no vaccine, no treatments and an unknown percentage who seem okay will go down the tube fast from a very serious pneumonia.   

The statistics on contagion and death rate can't be determined yet.  We simply don't have enough data and the disease mutates and acts differently on different people.  We have modeling which probably isn't all that accurate at the moment.

We do know that if we infect our first responders in the health community people without Covid-19 will die along with people who may be in  for emergency heart conditions, cancers, diabetes and other maladies, including the flu, that require urgent care who will not be able to be treated.  We do know that if we don't bend the wave of cases the wave will overwhelm our medical care system.  Again lots of people who don't have it will die when they can't get care along with the .2, 2, 3 or 4% who will die from it when we finally have enough data to determine the death rate.

If you get into a car accident and need surgery or a ventilator you will die.  If you have a hunting accident you probably will die.  If you have a cancer that blocks your bowels and you need surgery, dead.  If you have compromised immunity from chemo and get it probably dead. etc,.etc.,etc...

These arguments about contagion levels and the percentages that will die aren't ground in statistical reality.  

We need to practice social distancing and be smart.  It's basic stuff.  We pull together and get through it.

• Post of the Week 4

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I had this too, but about three weeks ago. This weird congestion and cough that wouldn’t go away. I saw two different doctors and they were both like “yeah, everyone has that now.”

I had something similar except at the beginning of February.  Never had anything last that long in my life that I can remember.  It started out as basically one of the worst colds I can recall.  Day 1 was your scratchy throat.  Day two pretty lethargic, then Day 3 I was on my *** with a terrible cough, aches, likely fever(never took my temp tho).  By about day 7 I started feeling pretty good again, but couldn't kick the cough and congestion.  That lasted about a month, maybe 5 weeks.  One antibiotics treatment given out of pity did nothing.

I can't imagine(or couldn't have about 2 weeks ago) it would have reached Iowa that soon, but who knows when it really arrived in the US.  Perfectly fine now.

My pregnant wife and 2 year old now on about day 5  of what I would normally think is your common cold, and very well could be, but not quite sure.  Zero documented cases in my county, which is 2nd biggest in Iowa.  I find that damn near impossible.

I feel better now talking it through ?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Do you feel like you're back to 100% now?

Well, funny story about that. There’s a notorious walk-in clinic near my work with an old Asian doctor who’s famous for loading you up with prescriptions. I told her my symptoms and she wrote me—no lie—five different prescriptions and told me to go get a lung x-ray. I never got the x-ray and only picked up the antibiotic horse pills she gave me. The congestion is still there, but the cough has mostly gone away.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I had something similar except at the beginning of February.  Never had anything last that long in my life that I can remember.  It started out as basically one of the worst colds I can recall.  Day 1 was your scratchy throat.  Day two pretty lethargic, then Day 3 I was on my *** with a terrible cough.  By about day 7 I started feeling pretty good again, but couldn't kick the cough and congestion.  That lasted about a month, maybe 5 weeks.  One antibiotics treatment given out of pity did nothing.

I can't imagine(or couldn't have about 2 weeks ago) it would have reached Iowa that soon, but who knows when it really arrived in the US.  Perfectly fine know.

My pregnant wife and 2 year old now on about day 5  of what I would normally think is your common cold, and very well could be, but not quite sure.  Zero documented cases in my country, which is 2nd biggest in Iowa.  I find that damn near impossible.

I feel better now talking it through ?

Oh word. Mine was about five weeks overall, too. Both the doctors I saw early blew it off and said everyone had it. Weird. But now everyone is super paranoid. I’m glad to hear you’re better, and hope the family feels good soon. Scary times.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I bought a mixed case of reds and 2 bottles of Dewars.  Let’s get through this.....

I'm stocked up until the draft, depending on our first pick will determine how fast I run out.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mentioned my brother a few days ago in a different thread. He said he felt like death was knocking on his door and two days later he was at about 80% and back to work. Did I mention he works for a huge governmental entity and probably comes in direct and indirect contact with possibly 1000's of people a day.

He never got tested though so we have no idea if it was just the common flu or Covid. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well, funny story about that. There’s a notorious walk-in clinic near my work with an old Asian doctor who’s famous for loading you up with prescriptions. I told her my symptoms and she wrote me—no lie—five different prescriptions and told me to go get a lung x-ray. I never got the x-ray and only picked up the antibiotic horse pills she gave me. The congestion is still there, but the cough has mostly gone away.

My daughter works on Capitol Hill. one of the staffers got ill, the hospital, last week, sent him home. The Congressman called the hospital and demanded he be tested.  He was negative but a week ago and more, getting the test was difficult.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

My daughter works on Capitol Hill. one of the staffers got ill, the hospital, last week, sent him home. The Congressman called the hospital and demanded he be tested.  He was negative but a week ago and more, getting the test was difficult.  

My experience was before Corona was a big story yet, so I didn’t even think to ask about it. I’m just still awed that two doctors were telling me 1. That everyone had the same persistent cough but 2. There’s nothing they can do about it. In retrospect, its kinda crazy to think that even medical professionals weren’t showing any urgency either, apparently. One of the doctors told me to drink tea with lemon. Like, wtf? lol I hope your daughter is well and has avoided it.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, RobR said:

I mentioned my brother a few days ago in a different thread. He said he felt like death was knocking on his door and two days later he was at about 80% and back to work. Did I mention he works for a huge governmental entity and probably comes in direct and indirect contact with possibly 1000's of people a day.

He never got tested though so we have no idea if it was just the common flu or Covid. 

God. All the best to him. 

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I work near the hill too. It’s funny you’d think lawmakers wouldn’t be as ridiculous about this because damn near 75% hit the age for being at risk. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deucebag said:

I'm also tired of Trump's excuses.  People I know started talking about it shortly after the New Year.   There is evidence that members of Congress were expressing concern the first week of January.  Not to mention the Jan 24 briefing of President Trump by the Senate Health and Foreign Relations committees that expressed such a dire emergency it lead 4 Senators to sell off their entire investment portfolios.  That was Jan 24 folks, or more than 6 weeks prior to Trump finally fessing up to there being a concern.   Truthfully the US should have gone on lockdown on Jan 24, and if it had, the economy would have been saved.

I’m a European living in Europe so have no political axe to grind but if I had a dollar for every time I have yelled at the TV in the last 6 weeks to tell Trump to shut the **** up with his “we are doing a great job” attitude and instead start to warn his people of the dangers of this virus then I would have enough cash to fill all the holes on our roster.

Does the man have any empathy for people ?   Or is it always just one deranged egotistical journey punctuated with inaction, zero responsibility taken and all detractors rudely insulted and maximum deflection tactics employed ?

Again, I have no political skin in game and have the utmost respect for the office of POTUS.... just would expect more from a man who holds the lives of 300+m in his hands.

Don’t get me started on the muppet Boris would “leads” the people of my nearest and dearest neighbour. Stiff upper lip and the great British spirit (and not self isolation) are going to see them through this global health crisis.

Sorry for the rant - will stick to football in future

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 3

I went to Las Vegas 2.24-2.26 for a Conference.  One attendee of the 8200 people was reported to have had it.  I don't think anyone believes he was the only one.  A week later I was pretty sick in the same way described by others here.  It took 2 weeks to kick it.  I was very tired and am still tired.   I also had a little bit of digestive dysfunction, which is now being reported as a symptom.

Everything I have read in this post confirms my theory that this virus is very widespread.  It is basically all over the place.  Very random.  But basically certain people get more severe symptoms and certain people get really sick.  If we test lots of basketball players and other people, even if they have no symptoms, we are going to find alot of cases.  That is one reason the German fatality rate is so low-because they are testing 160,000 people a week.  They find lots of cases, but most have little or no symptoms.  

But I also think that one reason people get really sick is because there are multiple versions of the same virus. 

I am sorry to say this, but eventually we are all going to have to go back into the world, be exposed, hopefully fight it off or otherwise either get sick and recover or punch our ticket.  By self-isolating, those vulnerable who have not been exposed can wait it out while we treat those who have, and while we make more ventilators.  

But after Easter, I hope to go back to work.  I hope i got it already.  I will stay in my daughter's apartment while she stays at home.  If I get sick I will go to my good doctor.  It's either that or I go bankrupt.  I think we are all in the same boat.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My experience was before Corona was a big story yet, so I didn’t even think to ask about it. I’m just still awed that two doctors were telling me 1. That everyone had the same persistent cough but 2. There’s nothing they can do about it. In retrospect, its kinda crazy to think that even medical professionals weren’t showing any urgency either, apparently. One of the doctors told me to drink tea with lemon. Like, wtf? lol I hope your daughter is well and has avoided it.

Mid january I caught something,  sore throat,stuffy nose  and a lot of coughing , no fever. 

I went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics (z pack) I took it before and it usually works, not this time , took it for 10 days and it didnt do sh*t .

So I just waited , after about 2 weeks the only thing left was the coughing and got rid of that after an extra 3 weeks.

Since then I have been feeling fine 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, joebracken33 said:

I’m a European living in Europe so have no political axe to grind but if I had a dollar for every time I have yelled at the TV in the last 6 weeks to tell Trump to shut the **** up with his “we are doing a great job” attitude and instead start to warn his people of the dangers of this virus then I would have enough cash to fill all the holes on our roster.

Does the man have any empathy for people ?   Or is it always just one deranged egotistical journey punctuated with inaction, zero responsibility taken and all detractors rudely insulted and maximum deflection tactics employed ?

Again, I have no political skin in game and have the utmost respect for the office of POTUS.... just would expect more from a man who holds the lives of 300+m in his hands.

Don’t get me started on the muppet Boris would “leads” the people of my nearest and dearest neighbour. Stiff upper lip and the great British spirit (and not self isolation) are going to see them through this global health crisis.

Sorry for the rant - will stick to football in future

Oh boy

I posted this in the other COVID thread but thought I would post it here too before this gets locked, which looks like the way it’s headed. For background my wife is a nurse at a major NYC hospital.

Quick update: the hospital sent out a bulletin to medical staff re: masks. They have enough supply to give all the nurses one mask. Not one mask per shift, which still would not be normal sanitary protocol. One mask PERIOD. You’re required to bring it home with you and use it during your next shift.

Luckily I have a family member who’s a painter who has a couple of 50 mask boxes that I’m going to pick up from him for my wife and members of her unit. If you have or know someone who has spare N95 masks, please consider donating them to your local hospital. These people are on the front lines and deserve all the help we can give them.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, deucebag said:

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks this way.  I believe the virus has been in the US since the beginning of January (or earlier) and spreading like wildfire since.  Many people who had the "flu" in January and February (and perhaps even died from it) probably had Covid-19.  I believe the early patients in the US caught it from air travel - an airplane is a cesspool of germs and everyone is breathing the same recycled air.  US residents travel more than citizens of any other country.  The biggest problem is a large % of the population are carriers and do not show symptoms and have been spreading it without abandon for months.  It wouldn't shock me if the endgame result were 250,000,000 Americans catch it/carry it, 40,000,000 suffer greatly and out of that 40M, due to not being tested and eventually due to scarcity of hospital beds and ventilators, 7M+ will die.  Our response has been pathetic to date and its probably way too late at this point.  Our population is polluted with people who believe their are entitled by the Constitution to live free from any government intervention and do WTF they want.

I'm also tired of Trump's excuses.  People I know started talking about it shortly after the New Year.   There is evidence that members of Congress were expressing concern the first week of January.  Not to mention the Jan 24 briefing of President Trump by the Senate Health and Foreign Relations committees that expressed such a dire emergency it lead 4 Senators to sell off their entire investment portfolios.  That was Jan 24 folks, or more than 6 weeks prior to Trump finally fessing up to there being a concern.   Truthfully the US should have gone on lockdown on Jan 24, and if it had, the economy would have been saved and we would probably looking at a much much more manageable scenario.  Instead we are heading towards an economic crises greater than the Great Depression and the worst health crises in history.

Bear in mind - the only reason why our positive test results are so low is because we have barely tested anyone.  How many people would you say are living in the US now?  Including the undocumented, I would say upwards of 360M, compare that to Spain of under 50M and Italy of approx 60M.  360M people, 943,000 hospital beds and 160,000 ventilators SMH!  In New Jersey Governor Murphy tooted his horn so very proud that we tested 600 people today, there are only 9M people living in NJ.  

same.

"do ya know where ya got it?!?!?!"

"yeah, I met this guy, name was Frank, he told me he had it, he coughed, sneezed and spit on me.  and thereafter, I knew I had it!"

like are you kidding?

It's EVERYWHERE.

STAY THE HELL HOME.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

where were all the democratic politics s crying about the virus in January? Oh wait they were busy failing at impeaching Trump  

Trump was being called a “racist” for  banning travel from China at the end of January. Europe just started locking down borders after Trump then banned European travel. Europe is a bloated with the virus. Country’s such as Germany and Italy with a fraction of the US population have more cases.

every country has the virus and there really is no way to completely contain it. So get over your hate for Trump as you embrace the government controlling every aspect of your life and relying on the government for everything from toilet paper to fresh water. The socialist state Democrats want is finally coming. Lets see how much you love your Deep Stated politicians who are already making tons of money after shorting the market

you have a kindergarten education? Which kindergarten?  Christ. Don't talk.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I've been in medical consulting for 13+ years.  It's all I've ever done since I walked off campus at Villanova--consulted with doctors.  I've worked closely with: dermatologists, rheumatologists, internal medicine, OB/GYNs, endocrinologists, orthopedic surgeon, spine surgeons, neurosurgeons, podiatrists (christ), pain management, brain surgeons, plastic surgeons, dentists, orthodontists, etc.   What I can tell you is this: 90-95% of doctors are NO SMARTER, NO MORE INTELLIGENT, NO MORE ASTUTE--than you or I or anyone else with a halfway relevant education.  You would be surprised.  I have stories FOR DAYS.  

When I go to the doctor (or have to go with my wife), I filter out about 90% of what they tell me and ask questions to get to the root of what I need to know to survive.  It's actually a ****ed up way to live.  I don't trust a single one of them.  

With all that being said: I COMMEND and PRAISE the work all HCPs are doing right now because they are on the front lines of a war...and it's going to get a lot worse.  God bless them.

PS D.O.s are the best people.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1