Robby to the Panthers

SR24

52 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Since Vyncint Smith's arrival in the league in 2018, he's accumulated 340 yards and 1 TD. 

Stop disrespecting Robby like that. 

Seriously....all these guys talking about how easy it is to find another receiver to put up the same numbers..."Just go find another undrafted FA"..."This draft is historically deep!"....

If it is so easy why was the last meaningful WR drafted by the Jets Laverneus Coles who was drafted 20 YEARS AGO

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

Seriously....all these guys talking about how easy it is to find another receiver to put up the same numbers..."Just go find another undrafted FA"..."This draft is historically deep!"....

If it is so easy why was the last meaningful WR drafted by the Jets Laverneus Coles who was drafted 20 YEARS AGO

At the end of the day their still fans of the team, putting faith in a new GM isn’t unheard of. 

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Yup. I'd expect JD to move on a vet WR soon, and we could well see a WR at 11 too. Those stories about the Jets being intrigued with Ruggs are interesting. You could potentially replace Robby's speed with someone even faster, who is also a more complete WR (compared to Robby as a rookie).

I still wouldnt be surprised if we trade down into the teens with someone and either go Tackle or WR there while picking up an extra day 2 pick.  We have a lot of holes and it looks like, while we're going to sign a few more guys in FA, I wouldnt be surprised since this is JD's first draft he wants to add as many of "his guys" as possible.  Also filling the team with a lot of young talent that can grow together.

I liked Robby but not surprised or even sad to see him go.  He had good hands and was fast, and could certainly get behind his guy on the go. But he was not strong at catching contested balls, and for a really fast guy he was not very elusive at all. He never was a threat to go all the way on a bubble screen. He is not worth $20 million. 

People are anguishing over lack of weapons but this draft is one of the best ever at the WR position and I would be shocked if we did not draft 2 or 4 WRs all with higher ceilings than Robby. We likely can choose who we feel is the best receiver in the draft and still be poised for an elite talent in the 2nd. Or take OT and still get 2 great receivers by the end of Round 3.

JD has said that he values the lines and playmakers. He has upgraded the line across the board from last year just like he said he will. And I am confident that he will get us more playmakers. 

Don't snooze on Smith or evern Barrios and Doctson. They might not be #1 material but Smith seemed to improve each game, Barrios started to show some something as well and all have solid #2/#3 potential.

Now is not the time to panic. JD is showing great discipline and has a clear line for contracts and a clear plan that is probably only 1/3 implemented.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Very up for debate.

All the Robby **** riders are being very irrational.

I liked Robby, I am also very cognizant of his shortcomings. His game is incomplete, he is undersized, he did not fight for or high point the ball. He either beat coverage with his speed or was negated from the play.

He used his one trick well. His one trick was useful. His one trick made him an ideal WR3 and a serviceable WR2. Not really what I'm looking for in a WR2, I'm not crying he is gone or acting like we lost an elite weapon. 

Yes, let's all watch this highlight film consisting completely of wide open go routes and Robby never high pointing a ball or catching anything in traffic....Hint skip to 1:56 seconds and you will see 4 examples in a row completely disproving your point. 

This narrative of Robby only being able to run go routes is so lazy and offbase I question how many of you actually watch Jet games....

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Exactly. 

Reminds me of "Lost One" from Jay-z. Quite fitting song actually.

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Yes, let's all watch this highlight film consisting completely of wide open go routes and Robby never high pointing a ball or catching anything in traffic....Hint skip to 1:56 seconds and you will see 4 examples in a row completely disproving your point. 

This narrative of Robby only being able to run go routes is so lazy and offbase I question how many of you actually watch Jet games....

For whatever reason, they are lying to themselves.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I liked Robby but not surprised or even sad to see him go.  He had good hands and was fast, and could certainly get behind his guy on the go. But he was not strong at catching contested balls, and for a really fast guy he was not very elusive at all. He never was a threat to go all the way on a bubble screen. He is not worth $20 million. 

People are anguishing over lack of weapons but this draft is one of the best ever at the WR position and I would be shocked if we did not draft 2 or 4 WRs all with higher ceilings than Robby. We likely can choose who we feel is the best receiver in the draft and still be poised for an elite talent in the 2nd. Or take OT and still get 2 great receivers by the end of Round 3.

JD has said that he values the lines and playmakers. He has upgraded the line across the board from last year just like he said he will. And I am confident that he will get us more playmakers. 

Don't snooze on Smith or evern Barrios and Doctson. They might not be #1 material but Smith seemed to improve each game, Barrios started to show some something as well and all have solid #2/#3 potential.

Now is not the time to panic. JD is showing great discipline and has a clear line for contracts and a clear plan that is probably only 1/3 implemented.

We have to use another high pick on a WR, when we could have used it to fill other needs. Corner. o-line. Pass rusher. Your comments about him showing discipline is very similar to what people were posting on Jet insider about John Idzik.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Clearly the jets could have kept him if they offered him more.  I’m surprised they didn’t see him as being worth more money.  

if i had to guess, robbie was never 100% committed to really wanting to come back this offseason... Too much chatter of "wanting to reunite with rhule" to "wanting to play with brady", Joe has made it known he wants guys that embrace the pressure of NY and WANT to be jets. Robbie was more than willing to come back for the cash, but i dont think he was ever committed to building something here.  See ya bud

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It's not a big deal. He can be replaced. I thought the Jets could match that money but either Robby wanted to leave or the Jets just didn't want to pay him. He played for Matt Rhule at Temple. 

I don't think he's even a legit #2 BUT i also think he's a very hard type of player to replace. There's only like a handful of guys who can take the top off like that in the NFL every year.  

Just now, HessStation said:

I don't think he's even a legit #2 BUT i also think he's a very hard type of player to replace. There's only like a handful of guys who can take the top off like that in the NFL every year.  

Deep threat but too many limitations in other places. Can be replaced certainly in production 

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

if i had to guess, robbie was never 100% committed to really wanting to come back this offseason... Too much chatter of "wanting to reunite with rhule" to "wanting to play with brady", Joe has made it known he wants guys that embrace the pressure of NY and WANT to be jets. Robbie was more than willing to come back for the cash, but i dont think he was ever committed to building something here.  See ya bud

This. 

Robby and his agent wasnt going to burn bridges because keeping multiple teams interest helps in negotiations, such as how Anthony Barr used the Jets last year. 

Robby wasnt coming back, and if he did it would have had to be one of those 15 million per contracts, which JD wasnt doing. 

If JD matched the 2 year 20 million dollar contract and you were Robby what team would you pick? 

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Yup.  This is one of the deepest WR classes I remember.  Even if we go OL at 11 we can grab two good WR at 48 and 68

The problem is, we need a lot more than just 2-3 WRs. We need CBS, we need an ER guy, we need an LT and more OL help, we need a backup QB, another RB and... wait.

How many draft picks do we have?

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

On the Sam part, that’s the exact truth. You don’t need freaks of nature, you need disciplined guys who know where to be. This year is make or break for Darnold in a lot of ways. Worry about getting the game breaker next year. Just give him a guy that knows what eight and a half yards looks like on third-and-eight

Yeah, I'd love to double or triple down in this WR draft, but they need another semi-sure vet for Sam this season. I wonder if they're really expecting Enunwa to be able to play... ?

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

The problem is, we need a lot more than just 2-3 WRs. We need CBS, we need an ER guy, we need an LT and more OL help, we need a backup QB, another RB and... wait.

Who said anything about filling the needs in one draft? See ONCE AGAIN, people are assuming this is a quick fix. It's not.

Sorry.

And if you mention Sam's rookie contract, I've already blasted that notion

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

It's not a big deal. He can be replaced. I thought the Jets could match that money but either Robby wanted to leave or the Jets just didn't want to pay him. He played for Matt Rhule at Temple. 

I don’t disagree in a vacuum. But Darnold is  entering Year 3 and who are his WRs right now?

Also people sometimes forget that even great players take a year to develop. Just bc we use a high pick on a WR doesn’t mean they are very good from Day 1. 

I would have bit the bullet and overpaid Robby on a short term deal. 

Just now, KINGDIRK said:

I don’t disagree in a vacuum. But Darnold is  entering Year 3 and who are his WRs right now?

Also people sometimes forget that even great players take a year to develop. Just bc we use a high pick on a WR doesn’t mean they are very good from Day 1. 

I would have bit the bullet and overpaid Robby on a short term deal. 

I don't care about Sam in year 3. It took Aaron Rodgers 3 years TO GET ON THE FIELD.

Why is everyone saying he’s “easily replaceable” ... are you not familiar with the Jets history in developing their own WRs? They simply don’t do it. Hopefully JD changes the narrative but let’s not like act the Jets are the Pittsburgh Steelers in turning out stud WRs every few years. Robby was a good player who didn’t cost too much, honestly this is the one move I think JD missed out on 

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

8 picks I think 

14 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I don't believe he was a number 2 either,  maybe a 2B.  One good thing about him though, he was durable with that stick frame.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lil O said:

I actually disagree about Crowder.  I moved to NYC from DC back in 1998, adopted the Jets the next year.  But I would always check in on the Washington team.  And he was always productive.  I had him on my fantasy football team one year when there were injuries and he ended up being the number one receiver on Washington and he still put up decent numbers. The guy took control of entire games last season. When he has a legit number one and number two to back him up I think you really realize how amazing he is. Go back and look at some of his DC tapeI had him on my fantasy football team one year when there were injuries and he ended up being the number one receiver on Washington and he still put up decent numbers. The guy took control of entire games last season. When he has a legit number one and number two to back him up I think you really realize how amazing he is. Go back and look at some of his DC tape

Crowder was good but that was a few years back.  I am not sure he is the same player anymore, good but perhaps not great.

56 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

It's a two year deal for a total of 20m. The Panthers have him locked up for 8m in year two. That's a pay cut of 33 percent. Who knows maybe JD offered him two years at 10m per year but all Robbie could see was that 12m in the first year. I hope he doesn't think that the Panthers will renegotiate in the 2nd year and give him a big dollar extension. 

I'm also happy we moved on, RA wasn't worth it on or off the field.

Theoretically a 1 yr deal bc they can cut him with very minimal dead money if any at all. 

28 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I have to say I'm gonna miss him.  As some who went un-drafted, he should only continue to improve.   I wish him all the best in Carolina.  I think JD looked at this draft class and felt he could reset our entire wr corp for years to come and do it on the cheap.   I can't blame him but it would have been nice to see more Darnold to Anderson...

56 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yet Crowder isnt nearly as good as Edleman and Darnold isnt as good as Brady. 

Also, last season teams got hip to the game, began to double team Edlemen on every play and man'd up the rest of the guys who were basically trash and essentially contained the Patriots offense. 

Imagine what would happen to Crowder and Darnold if that's what we walk into the season with. 

Like I said #1 WR means 1st option.  That's what Crowder was last year

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Good riddance.  My faith in Joe is even stronger. Panthers will regret that contract. We have talked at length all the reasons robbie needed to go. But the most important  of course is that spot is open tonsome ok else that can hopefully  catch

Have you even seen the contract?  It is basically a one year deal for about 12 million.  Why would the Panthers regret that for a solid starting wide receiver with his speed and only 26 years old?  I don't get the hate... I really don't.