Robby to the Panthers

SR24

5 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Guess he got more than 8 or 9 million per year

I started the thread that said that Robbie would get no more than 9 million per year.  He got 20 million for 2 years.  I said 18 million.

I said he would get no better than a 2 year deal.  He got a 2 year deal.

I guess I was wrong.  

• Upvote 1

Well we’re plus 1 with Robby. And $12 mil per should be a 3rd rd comp. not too shabby if we stay the course

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
They factor in how much money you spend on FA as well as who you lost/what they signed for....

So Fant alone is worth more than Robbie....factor in the other linemen we signed and minus the role players we lost and its probably a wash I'd guess

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don't think he had much of a shot in Houston.  Undrafted FA and was going against Nuke and Fuller.  Anderson going against Vycint Smith.  LOL.

He didnt. but it wasnt like there was much in NY last year, which was his best season but he still just produced 220 yards and 0 TD's in 13 games played. 

I never really valued Robby very highly. I think he's easily replaced. However, the price and term seems like there would have been value in having him on the roster, at the very least to improve the competition at WR which is something I think is very important. WR seems like it's bare enough that anyone they draft is going to automatically get a spot even if they're Jachai Polite

39 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Please, let's not make Jamison Crowder a #1 WR. Us Jets fans have entertained plenty of fantasy worlds with this franchise. 

Crowder is a nice slot receiver. He is not a #1. 

He's the Jets #1 option.  Just like Julian Edelman was the #1 in NE. Or Landry when he was the #1 in Miami. #1 means the 1st option

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He didnt. but it wasnt like there was much in NY last year, which was his best season but he still just produced 220 yards and 0 TD's in 13 games played. 

its unfair to evaluate any Jets wr who had to run routes beyond 15 yards last year. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Here's the real, and I know since im talking to T0m I know that im speaking to someone who will understand this. 

What is considered "short" money is life changing for a guy who came in as a UDFA and had to even hustle up interest playing for a Jets franchise, with QB's such as Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, Josh McCown, Sam Darnold, Luke Falk and Trevor Simeon. 

I'll even agree that Sam Darnold didnt hurt Robby in anyway...I'll disregard anything that I can bring up regarding Sam. That doesnt take away what this franchise has done, what all of those other QB's playing behind turnstiles have done. What Todd Bowles has done, etc. 

No one is treating Robby like a victim. Robby is winning right now. He's able to get paid #2 WR money to play #2 for the first time in his career basically, opposite a #1 and a respectable #3 in Curt Samuel. They have a Marshall Faulk type RB and a QB who may not be the downfield passer in Bridgewater, but to this day I thought trading him for a 3rd round pick and not keeping him was a mistake as I thought that he was a good enough QB not to push out the door because of a rookie. 

Robby improved his stock rather well. Folks are hung up on 15 million, which was was the media floated around. But even if that was 100% true, agents always ask for the world when it comes to their clients because they're trying to establish a market. The bottomline is that the man signed a reasonable contract and has the opportunity to double dip if he's able to then progress given the talent around him and if this new coaching staff is competent. 

Signing back here for that contract would have made him a victim. 

Robby earned this with his play even through all of the adversity being a Jet. 

Good post, My friend. Good luck to him down there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Jet said:

Disappointing to see Robby go. Signing someone like Perriman is a lateral move at best, unless Perriman signs for a salary considerably less than what the Panthers just gave Anderson. I assume the Jets will now pivot to bring back Thomas. I do not want the Jets to sign Funchess, a bloke who makes slugs look quick.

I also don't want the Jets to be suckered into drafting Ruggs. All the research I have done on him suggests that he has a high chance of busting, so taking him #11 overall is a big risk. If the Jets are to take a wide receiver in the first round, I hope it is either Jeudy or Lamb.

Care to share this research???  

49 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

vXLhdD6Y_x96.jpg

Gase gonna turn around and bring DT back as a consolation prize now isn't he?

I hate this greasy hypocritical slimeball so much.  I called out Todd Bowles as an overrated defensive coach in 2015 and he called me an idiot and blocked me.  F*ck Joe Caporoso.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Being incapable of hauling 1,000 yards has more to do with the Jets the past two seasons and less so Robby.

Very up for debate.

All the Robby **** riders are being very irrational.

I liked Robby, I am also very cognizant of his shortcomings. His game is incomplete, he is undersized, he did not fight for or high point the ball. He either beat coverage with his speed or was negated from the play.

He used his one trick well. His one trick was useful. His one trick made him an ideal WR3 and a serviceable WR2. Not really what I'm looking for in a WR2, I'm not crying he is gone or acting like we lost an elite weapon. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

So it's a 1 yr deal. Thank God we can finally move on from this nonsense.  

It's a two year deal for a total of 20m. The Panthers have him locked up for 8m in year two. That's a pay cut of 33 percent. Who knows maybe JD offered him two years at 10m per year but all Robbie could see was that 12m in the first year. I hope he doesn't think that the Panthers will renegotiate in the 2nd year and give him a big dollar extension. 

I'm also happy we moved on, RA wasn't worth it on or off the field.

22 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's the Jets #1 option.  Just like Julian Edelman was the #1 in NE. Or Landry when he was the #1 in Miami. #1 means the 1st option

Yet Crowder isnt nearly as good as Edleman and Darnold isnt as good as Brady. 

Also, last season teams got hip to the game, began to double team Edlemen on every play and man'd up the rest of the guys who were basically trash and essentially contained the Patriots offense. 

Imagine what would happen to Crowder and Darnold if that's what we walk into the season with. 

41 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Did he do it going up against the #1 CB on the defense. Why is it so difficult for some of y’all to admit how important Anderson was to Darnold . Even now I see folks looking for ways to critique how Anderson will look playing with Teddy B . Y’all didn’t want him and he’s gone . Y’all should be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Robby started becoming more successful at the end of the season because we were lining him up in the slot more often, against nickel corners.  

I've already gotten into how Robby's attitude and effort issues negatively impacted Sam so I'm not going to do it again.  He wasn't as liked as you think he was in that locker room either.

I'm happy.  I said back in December/January that I didn't want Robby back for that price, nor did I think he would be back after certain things I had been hearing, and I'm ok with loading up via the draft.

28 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Since Vyncint Smith's arrival in the league in 2018, he's accumulated 340 yards and 1 TD. 

Stop disrespecting Robby like that. 

Agreed the production is not there and it may never be.  Never meant to disrespect Robby but the Jets may have a contributing player already on their roster that sounds like the type of player you want on your team.

This is from an interview with Demaryius Thomas talking about Vyncint Smith and their time together in Houston:

"He wants to know the how and the why," Thomas said. "That’s super beneficial. When you have someone like him that wants to work? Those are the guys who end up being the greats. They’re the ones who are in this league 10-plus years. We never had a problem with Vyncint. He was reliable, dependable and accountable. I praise him so much because he was always on time. He did everything right. We never had to ask him to do anything. He would work in with the No. 1 offense or scout team. He jumped in and did it the same way. He reminds me of myself. I would do those things."

"I couldn’t tell (Gase) enough about him," Thomas said. "I told him how he’s the guy who, when you tell him something, he listens. He then instantly takes it to the field. He has raw talent. He can run, catch, run with the ball in his hands. But he listens. He listens and applies. That’s hard for young guys to do. But with Vyncint, you tell him, he’ll practice it a couple of times, then he does it. I’d been around him most of last year. So I knew how hard he works. I told (Gase) how, when we were in Houston, he ran the most routes out of anyone. Sometimes (Hopkins) would be out, or Fuller. Vyncint would fill in wherever they needed him. He ran everything. Never complained. He just did his job. Kept his head down."

1 hour ago, Ohhthepain said:

We really should have resigned him for that money. Losing RA really paints us into a corner to trade for Trent William's and draft WR rounds 1 and 2. The team is completely barren at WR 1 and 2. Retaining Robby would have given us flexibility to go OT, then pair him with a WR in round 2.

I understand how you feel and I am as big a Robby fan as anyone, but this truly is an historic wr draft.  We can come out of this draft with 3, maybe even 4 wrs (there should be quality talent in the 6th and 7th rounds.   We should take two receivers in the first 4-5 rounds and perhaps another in rounds 6 or 7.  Guys like Juan Jennings, Joe Reed and or Quez Watkins should be around in the 5 - 7 rounds.  Even a guy like Brian Edwards should be around late as he got hurt and missed the end of the season and all the post season work outs.  He could be a steal in the 6 or 7th round.  Bottom line is we come away with any two of Jeudy, Ruggs, Mims, Higgins, Claypool, Jefferson, Aiyuk, Reagor, Donovan PJ, AGG, Laviska Shenault, Michael Pittman Jr and then snag Quez Watkins or Joe Reed in the later rounds, we will have made out like bandits. 

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Overpaid by 6 million.  With Mcgovern now on board,  they can go Ruggs, Jeudy or Lamb at 11.  Pick up a solid offensive tackle in round two. Then grab another WR in round three with one of the thirds.  JD has set himself up quite nicely come draft time.

Let's hope.

10 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I look at it like this, If Douglas wanted him, he would haves signed him already. The guy signed a Tackle with a Pff score of 62, for a $30 mill contract.

Good look to Robbie, but he’s a 9 route runner. Perhaps he is going WR round 1?

he better now

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Sad to see RA go. Hopefully JD has a good plan for adding WR's. OBJ incoming?

If we are fortunate enough to draft both Higgins and Claypool, no one will remember Robbys name by this time next year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Agreed the production is not there and it may never be.  Never meant to disrespect Robby but the Jets may have a contributing player already on their roster that sounds like the type of player you want on your team.

This is from an interview with Demaryius Thomas talking about Vyncint Smith and their time together in Houston:

"He wants to know the how and the why," Thomas said. "That’s super beneficial. When you have someone like him that wants to work? Those are the guys who end up being the greats. They’re the ones who are in this league 10-plus years. We never had a problem with Vyncint. He was reliable, dependable and accountable. I praise him so much because he was always on time. He did everything right. We never had to ask him to do anything. He would work in with the No. 1 offense or scout team. He jumped in and did it the same way. He reminds me of myself. I would do those things."

"I couldn’t tell (Gase) enough about him," Thomas said. "I told him how he’s the guy who, when you tell him something, he listens. He then instantly takes it to the field. He has raw talent. He can run, catch, run with the ball in his hands. But he listens. He listens and applies. That’s hard for young guys to do. But with Vyncint, you tell him, he’ll practice it a couple of times, then he does it. I’d been around him most of last year. So I knew how hard he works. I told (Gase) how, when we were in Houston, he ran the most routes out of anyone. Sometimes (Hopkins) would be out, or Fuller. Vyncint would fill in wherever they needed him. He ran everything. Never complained. He just did his job. Kept his head down."

He sounds like a kid who is raw but has some potential and is good to have in the lockerroom. 

I can respect that. However, the most important thing is what you do on the field, and nothing you mentioned translates to what Robby contributed on the field. 

My "dont disrespect Robby" comment was tongue in cheek. I was being an ass. :-) 

• Upvote 1