Signed former Ravens linebacker

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Played next to Mosley in 2017 and 2018. Smaller ILB who covers well and is a good blitzer.

We now have 6 legit ILBs with Mosley, Williamson, Onwuasor, Hewitt, Burgess and Cashman.

Something's gotta give - quite possibly Williamson, in a cap move.

I wonder if they are going to play a 4-3, and these are the 6 linebackers on the depth chart.

• Upvote 1

We should start a poll.

Which LB gets traded for a pick(s) first? Mostly or Williamson? Add Bell to that also if you want.

Because I’m on record that if JD has this go the way he wants, our 3 new OL will be the highest paid guys on the Jets next season, and that’s  only because he wants Darnold to survive the purge in one piece.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

He played weakside ILB, while Mosley was the Mike.

A smaller guy, but tough and hard-nosed. Nice signing.

it's not the size but the fight in the dog.  i don't know this guy from adam but he seems like a decent player and may fit into whatever scheme williams is planning on running.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

We should start a poll.

Which LB gets traded for a pick(s) first? Mostly or Williamson? Add Bell to that also if you want.

Because I’m on record that if JD has this go the way he wants, our 3 new OL will be the highest paid guys on the Jets next season, and that’s  only because he wants Darnold to survive the purge in one piece.

Mosley's contract makes trading him almost impossible.

So its gotta be Williamson.  Absolute most we could get for him would probably be a 5th rounder.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mosley's contract makes trading him almost impossible.

So its gotta be Williamson.  Absolute most we could get for him would probably be a 5th rounder.  

We were joking earlier about the Browns, but just off the top of my head, teams like them, and the Giants are desperate for LBs. 

Id be disappointed with a 5th, but there should be a market out there for Avery, don’t you think?

• Thumb Down 1

33 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Bingo.

we’ve gone from Suck for Sam in ‘17 To Tank in Twenty.

In JD We Trust, because if he tears this down, and doesn’t build it back up correctly.... we’re screwed. ? 

Well, in all fairness.....was there a lot to even tear down?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, in all fairness.....was there a lot to even tear down?

No, there wasn’t.

After the first few days of FA, it became obvious what he’s doing, and I’m fine with it. This team needed a housecleaning, and there’s no rush to extend guys like Adams or Darnold. Make them play out there contracts, tag them if you want, then see where we are as a team and decide if we want to resign them.

The thing I think is going to be interesting though, is next offseason, when all these contracts are off the books, we’ll have a ton of cap space, and could be big spenders again, so who knows?

• Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This isn't always the case.  Players want big guaranteed money.  Multi-year deals do that.....unless you're Kirk Cousins and can get full guaranteed money deals.

In this particular circumstance where the cap is expected to jump $25-$30 million next year it is in the best interest of the players to wait for their payday next year when more cash is flowing. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

We were joking earlier about the Browns, but just off the top of my head, teams like them, and the Giants are desperate for LBs. 

Id be disappointed with a 5th, but there should be a market out there for Avery, don’t you think?

The closer we get to the draft, the more GM's want to hold onto the picks they have.

Given Williamson's age (28), the fact that he hasn't played in a full year, the money the new team would have to take on, and the thought that they could easily just wait for the Jets to cut him....all of those factors could serve to drive down his value.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

We should start a poll.

Can everyone please stop with the trade Mosley - he is an All-pro player who essentially was singlehandedly beating the Bills until he got hurt.  He is the best ILB in football and is going to vastly improve our defense.

Onwuasor seems like that great signing to me as he has familiarity next to Mosley and is good in coverage which is much more important for an ILB in this defense given how well we stop the run as a DL unit. 

That being said, we need to move someone because there are far too many ILBs on one team.  For me, I think the max is 5, and I believe cashman is worth another year, so that leaves Mosley, Onwuasor, Hewitt, Cashman and Burgess making Williamson (unfortunately for him as he seems like a good player and guy) the odd man out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

In this particular circumstance where the cap is expected to jump $25-$30 million next year it is in the best interest of the players to wait for their payday next year when more cash is flowing. 

Good point, I don't disagree with that.  But players who can pocket a guaranteed $15, $20, $25M usually aren't signing one-year $6M deals in an era where guys are retiring earlier than in the past and the risk of injury is still significant.  I think each guy's situation is unique.  Guys like Alex Lewis, McGovern, etc. signed 3 year deals.....I don't completely agree that Poole, Jenkins, Perriman, Desir are on one-year deals as their first choice.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BCJet said:

Can everyone please stop with the trade Mosley - he is an All-pro player who essentially was singlehandedly beating the Bills until he got hurt.  He is the best ILB in football and is going to vastly improve our defense.

Onwuasor seems like that great signing to me as he has familiarity next to Mosley and is good in coverage which is much more important for an ILB in this defense given how well we stop the run as a DL unit. 

That being said, we need to move someone because there are far too many ILBs on one team.  For me, I think the max is 5, and I believe cashman is worth another year, so that leaves Mosley, Onwuasor, Hewitt, Cashman and Burgess making Williamson (unfortunately for him as he seems like a good player and guy) the odd man out.

Nobody is saying that Mosely isn't a very good player, but he's a 30 year old player making about 19 mil per. That's not who you want on a rebuilding team. However as @Jetsfan80 just explained, we're not going to be able to move him this year because of his contract.

So don't worry. He'll be a Jet this year.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

“His struggles in coverage and against the run led the Ravens to sign Bynes and Fort, and after playing 284 defensive snaps over the first five games, Onwuasor got just 190 over the next nine. He finished the season rated the No. 73 linebacker by Pro Football Focus.“

That’s about right..

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

“His struggles in coverage and against the run led the Ravens to sign Bynes and Fort, and after playing 284 defensive snaps over the first five games, Onwuasor got just 190 over the next nine. He finished the season rated the No. 73 linebacker by Pro Football Focus.“

That’s about right..

Context matters.  He struggled as an ILB1.  As an ILB2 he was fine.  With our depth at ILB, he won't ever be asked to be an ILB1 here.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Context matters.  He struggled as an ILB1.  As an ILB2 he was fine.  With our depth at ILB, he won't ever be asked to be an ILB1 here.  

This is Fidelio everything is a bad move even it’s it’s more for depth ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, I’m sure he’s a nice piece, a fine role player.  Seems to be a hard worker and good teammate.

But let’s also be clear about what we have here - this isn’t a diamond in the ruff or some type of guy that’s going to take the place of Adams or Mosley.  

He’s a below average role player here for depth.  If we all accept that then you won’t get an argument from me.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Again, I’m sure he’s a nice piece, a fine role player.  Seems to be a hard worker and good teammate.

But let’s also be clear about what we have here - this isn’t a diamond in the ruff or some type of guy that’s going to take the place of Adam’s or Mosley.  

He’s a below average role player here for depth.  If we all except that then you won’t get an argument from me.

I think he's the next Ray Lewis.

No, but really, he's a nice little depth signing.  Agreed.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That’s about right..

Special Teams guy

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Played next to Mosley in 2017 and 2018. Smaller ILB who covers well and is a good blitzer.

We now have 6 legit ILBs with Mosley, Williamson, Onwuasor, Hewitt, Burgess and Cashman.

Something's gotta give - quite possibly Williamson, in a cap move.

yea its called injuries. can never have enough depth, good signing.

• Upvote 2