There's Room For A Big Move

KRL

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

One year from now Enunwa and Bell will be cut and we’ll have some reasonable dead money from them and Tru but otherwise won’t have anymore terrible contracts on the books

Enunwa, Henry Anderson and Fant are most likely cut candidates. If Crowder and Bell play well then we should keep em. Guys always talk about how Sam needs helps however don't apply the same mind set to Bell who is definitely the best player on the team. 

There's so much interior DL talent that Henry isn't needed, however with the cap increasing this should help teams signing their own FAs so not sure how the pool of players are going to look next season.

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I really hope he signs Peters to avoid the pressure of having to take a tackle at #11.  It could even lead to Lamb/Ruggs AND Jalen Reagor (third round).

Who says he has to, or even intends to, take a tackle at 11? Everyone here seems to think he paid Fant $10m to be a backup. I think JD signed Fant to start at LT. Whether people on this board think Fant is a starting left tackle is irrelevant; if JD thinks so, then he's not going to pick a tackle at 11. It's receiver all the way (unless somehow JD's top tackle drops to 11; then I think he will take the tackle).

I have a feeling in my bones that we are taking a WR at 11, if we stay there.

Fant is our LT, at least for this year, and it is likely that at least 3 (if not 4) of the OTs are gone by our pick.

In that scenario, minus a trade down, a WR is likely to be the best player on the board that fits a need. I'd have a hard time choosing between Lamb and Ruggs, but I think the Jets might just go Ruggs.

Speed kills in the NFL, and Gase has traditionally preferred smaller WRs over the taller guys.

• Upvote 1

I'd really like to see them make a splash and get Trent Williams.  I think the Skins are gonna get desperate at a certain point.  Getting Williams would completely open up the options in the first round.  Might even be able to trade down, recoup whatever pick you spend on getting Williams, and draft best WR available.

My fantastical proposal:

REDSKINS GET:

Jets' 2020 3rd round pick

JETS GET:

Trent Williams, Redskins' 2021 4th Round Pick

TRENT WILLIAMS CONTRACT:

4 years, $75 million, $60 million GTD

DRAFT:

• Jets take CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy at 11 (maybe even Okudah if he's there); or
  • Jets trade down, recoup their 3rd rounder, draft Laviska Shenault or Justin Jefferson

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I really hope he signs Peters to avoid the pressure of having to take a tackle at #11.  It could even lead to Lamb/Ruggs AND Jalen Reagor (third round).

I'm an OL first guy but in most of the mock drafts I'm doing most of the best WRs are going before our second pick.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Any big move (over 10 million) should be reserved for a long term deal. Skip Clowney if its a one year deal. We’re not winning it this year anyway. 

Come training camp (whenever that will be) and trade deadline time, there’s always a couple big names looking for a trade/new deal. Save the money for that.

If we don’t trade for Trent (which I’m not sure why not) then we should sign Peters for 1-2 years. 

Add another WR. Neither moves will break the bank.

Give Jamal his new deal, which will be at a discount if we do it now rather than next season or after.

Signing Clowney to a one year deal can't be the worse thing as age 28 is still serviceable enough to re-sign in 2021 if we like what we see out of him or if he walks that's guaranteed a 2022 3rd rounder compensatory pick.

Overall I agree on landing more multi years guys however players and agents aren't bitting on them.

Trent is only 31 years old and although football rusty he's still in shape. It's not like he missed a year rehabbing an injury.

Getting Jamal signing out the way would be relieving as well.

4 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I'd really like to see them make a splash and get Trent Williams.  I think the Skins are gonna get desperate at a certain point.  Getting Williams would completely open up the options in the first round.  Might even be able to trade down, recoup whatever pick you spend on getting Williams, and draft best WR available.

My fantastical proposal:

REDSKINS GET:

JETS GET:

TRENT WILLIAMS CONTRACT:

DRAFT:

• Jets take CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy at 11 (maybe even Okudah if he's there); or
  • Jets trade down, recoup their 3rd rounder, draft Laviska Shenault or Justin Jefferson

The top LT contracts in the league right now are $15.5M/year - $16.5M/year.  Taylor Llewan got $50MM guaranteed and nobody else has more than $42M.

You are suggesting we give TW almost $19M/year with more guaranteed money than anyone else.  

Definitely a hard pass for me for a guy who missed last year and averaged 12 games/season for the 3 years before that.

$58M/4 years with $30 guaranteed feels about right but he'll never sign for that as things stand.

• Upvote 2

Just now, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Signing Clowney to a one year deal can't be the worse thing as age 28 is still serviceable enough to re-sign in 2021 if we like what we see out of him or if he walks that's guaranteed a 2022 3rd rounder compensatory pick.

Overall I agree on landing more multi years guys however players and agents aren't bitting on them.

Trent is only 31 years old and although football rusty he's still in shape. It's not like he missed a year rehabbing an injury.

Getting Jamal signing out the way would be relieving as well.

If we sign Clowney for a 1 year deal and he plays decent...he’s going to want more than we’ll be willing to pay.

No, it won’t be the end if the world signing him to a 1 year deal, I’d just rather extend Jamal and maybe get Sam some more offensive pieces.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He should trade for Keenan Allen.

That would be groovy.   Are the Chargers shopping him? 

If there is any legs into the Jeffrey inquiries, I feel like that could still happen as well.  I just cant imagine that Douglas feels comfortable with Crowder and a bunch of maybe/hopefully/underachievers with potential plus a rookie. It's a big gamble. Otherwise, I would look at Cooks on another 1 year deal. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

If there is any legs into the Jeffrey inquiries, I feel like that could still happen as well.  I just cant imagine that Douglas feels comfortable with Crowder and a bunch of maybe/hopefully/underachievers with potential plus a rookie. It's a big gamble. Otherwise, I would look at Cooks on another 1 year deal. 

I did a Google search and trading Allen isn’t really a thing. He’s 28 and on the last year of his deal, so it might make sense for them to move him during their tank season.

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The top LT contracts in the league right now are $15.5M/year - $16.5M/year.  Taylor Llewan got $50MM guaranteed and nobody else has more than $42M.

You are suggesting we give TW almost $19M/year with more guaranteed money than anyone else.  

Definitely a hard pass for me for a guy who missed last year and averaged 12 games/season for the 3 years before that.

$58M/4 years with $30 guaranteed feels about right but he'll never sign for that as things stand.

I intentionally shot high on the contract because whatever he would sign is going to feel like a bit much.  That said, I would absolutely pay TW the highest salary of any left tackle in the NFL

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I intentionally shot high on the contract because whatever he would sign is going to feel like a bit much.  That said, I would absolutely pay TW the highest salary of any left tackle in the NFL

I get it.  He's far better than what we have now.

Just be mindful you are paying that salary for an average of 12 games per season so you are, in fact, paying a 33% premium for his actual production.  Llewan by comparison averaged 15 games/season over the last 4 years.  Players and agents never want to factor that in when it works against them, but it's irresponsible of a team to not do so.  He either does a 1 year deal to prove he can stay healthy, or he needs to deal with a salary reflective of his history.  Or some team can grossly overpay him.  I just hope it's not us.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'm an OL first guy but in most of the mock drafts I'm doing most of the best WRs are going before our second pick.

That is an issue. 48 is too late to grab the second tier of WRs. Jefferson, Mims, maybe even Reagor, Aiyuk if there is a run on receivers. 

So if we go tackle at 11, we are left with the third tier of WRs. There will be some good guys still there at 48 but it feels like we are missing out on the cream of the crop in a historic class. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

That is an issue. 48 is too late to grab the second tier of WRs. Jefferson, Mims, maybe even Reagor, Aiyuk if there is a run on receivers. 

So if we go tackle at 11, we are left with the third tier of WRs. There will be some good guys still there at 48 but it feels like we are missing out on the cream of the crop in a historic class. 

Agreed on the mock draft simulator findings, but we'd be also looking at late 2nd/3rd tier OTs at # 48 as well.

14 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Agreed on the mock draft simulator findings, but we'd be also looking at late 2nd/3rd tier OTs at # 48 as well.

I'm sure but honestly, I don't know enough about those late 2nd/3rd tier OL guys to be happy to wait until day 2/3 to find our tackle. When it comes to the left tackle position, I don't want us to get too cute. It feels like we already are gambling somewhat with Fant. 

I just want us to take the safest tackle on offer at 11.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

He's going to extend Adams, give him a good chunk of money this year so we can take it on the chin in a year in which our best outcome is likely a wild card game and work for 2021 and beyond.

Fake News. There has been no concrete evidence of this. Why wouldn't he have done it already if hes so important in his eyes.

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

My fantastical proposal:

REDSKINS GET:

JETS GET:

TRENT WILLIAMS CONTRACT:

DRAFT:

Can't read into much on what a player wants. Plus that's a historical 80% of his contract being guaranteed in your contract proposal. But I do like the trade. Give him something similar to what Humphries received from Arizona (3 years - $45 mil; $30 mil guaranteed). That's top 3 money. Our team may still suck, but sucking and not being able to evaluate our QB is another tier of a dissapointing season. So having Trent with CeeDee as a passing threat would work wonders for Bell and Sam.

7 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Fake News. There has been no concrete evidence of this. Why wouldn't he have done it already if hes so important in his eyes.

Not saying its happening but to your question, waiting until the end to make sure he doesnt need the funds now

Adams will get extended, when?  When its convenient to the team.

I believe we will make a couple of moves. Here a question why have t.johnson cut as a June 1 cut? It’s to have more cap room this year if he didn’t want more cap this year he should of just cut  t. Johnson right away so he would be off the books this year. Why did he do that because he needs the cap space this year for something? Be it a trade for Trent or Clowney or yannick or obj. Everyone say he just roll it over but why then have Johnson as a June first cut then? There something he saving cap money for this year. 

34 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I'm sure but honestly, I don't know enough about those late 2nd/3rd tier OL guys to be happy to wait until day 2/3 to find our tackle. When it comes to the left tackle position, I don't want us to get too cute. It feels like we already are gambling somewhat with Fant. 

I just want us to take the safest tackle on offer at 11.

I agree 100%...unless the top 4 OTs are gone by #11. At which point I'm ok with a "Tier 1" WR vs a "Tier 2" OT at #11 (assuming no trade down)

There may be room for it, but I have a hard time seeing any big move being worthwhile. What move out there makes the Jets contenders? 

The only moves that would be worth it are ones that would support Sam's development and getting a top quality WR/TE would be expensive because there's none on the market which means prying them away from another team which, again, is expensive as BoB is all out of top flight receivers.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Based on these cap figures the team has 36 million in space:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

And that's with Williamson (6 million) and Winters (7 million) still on
the roster.  So Douglas actually has 50 million in cap room at his 
disposal.  I know I've thought about Clowney on a one year deal but if
it isn't him what will Douglas do?

Clowneys asking price is ridiculous. It's not worth JD chasing after. Douglas will probably take one in the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Why not just sign DT for another year?  Jeffrey has played only one injury free season in the last five and Cooks is a big health risk as well. Thomas is older but with the exception of last year (Same Old Jets) he's been pretty durable and reasonably productive... 

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I have a feeling in my bones that we are taking a WR at 11, if we stay there.

Fant is our LT, at least for this year, and it is likely that at least 3 (if not 4) of the OTs are gone by our pick.

In that scenario, minus a trade down, a WR is likely to be the best player on the board that fits a need. I'd have a hard time choosing between Lamb and Ruggs, but I think the Jets might just go Ruggs.

Speed kills in the NFL, and Gase has traditionally preferred smaller WRs over the taller guys.

Works for me. 

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Based on these cap figures the team has 36 million in space:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

And that's with Williamson (6 million) and Winters (7 million) still on
the roster.  So Douglas actually has 50 million in cap room at his 
disposal.  I know I've thought about Clowney on a one year deal but if
it isn't him what will Douglas do?

Well, I thought about these 3+ moves that are not real flashy but will help as stated:

1) Re-sign Beachem 1 year for 7-9M. WHY?. He can slide back into LT starter to have the same chemistry he had with Lewis next to him and this can allow Fant to start at RT with Chuma and McDermott as backups and the 1st pick at #11 a likely LT(and initially play RT) that can ease in and not get thrown to the wolves.

2) Sign WR Robinson to pair with Perriman that should compliment each other and use 2nd round draft pick on one of the WRs there that could still be very good like Pittman who played with Darnold, so they would have familiarity. Again, this allows the rookie WR to ease in slowly and just fight for playing time and not be pushed into something he isn't ready for.

3) Sign OLB Golden to provide more pass rush help on the weakside and we then still draft an Edge rusher in the 3rd round.

Other areas:

- Sign Matt Moore at backup QB.

- Re-sign Punter Edwards

- if Money permits maybe try to get another CB like Logan.

All moves above make Jets much better without any huge splurge/risk like Clowney for 18M, or an almost 49 LT Peters that not only has no chemistry with our Oline, but is over the hill. If we do above remaining draft picks can go for G, CB, RB, and maybe even more Oline/WR. That would be our 8 picks including what was stated above. Then we'll see if/when we can get these guys together to practice/study up. I work from home with my colleagues, but not sure how much the Jets can do of that and get chemistry within groups like Oline, QB/WR, D-Secondary, etc.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well, I thought about these 3+ moves that are not real flashy but will help as stated:

1) Re-sign Beachem 1 year for 7-9M. WHY?. He can slide back into LT starter to have the same chemistry he had with Lewis next to him and this can allow Fant to start at RT with Chuma and McDermott as backups and the 1st pick at #11 a likely LT(and initially play RT) that can ease in and not get thrown to the wolves.

2) Sign WR Robinson to pair with Perriman that should compliment each other and use 2nd round draft pick on one of the WRs there that could still be very good like Pittman who played with Darnold, so they would have familiarity. Again, this allows the rookie WR to ease in slowly and just fight for playing time and not be pushed into something he isn't ready for.

3) Sign OLB Golden to provide more pass rush help on the weakside and we then still draft an Edge rusher in the 3rd round.

Other areas:

- Sign Matt Moore at backup QB.

- Re-sign Punter Edwards

- if Money permits maybe try to get another CB like Logan.

All moves above make Jets much better without any huge splurge/risk like Clowney for 18M, or an almost 49 LT Peters that not only has no chemistry with our Oline, but is over the hill. If we do above remaining draft picks can go for G, CB, RB, and maybe even more Oline/WR. That would be our 8 picks including what was stated above. Then we'll see if/when we can get these guys together to practice/study up. I work from home with my colleagues, but not sure how much the Jets can do of that and get chemistry within groups like Oline, QB/WR, D-Secondary, etc.

I think I would replace re-signing Beachum with Logan Ryan

52 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

I believe we will make a couple of moves. Here a question why have t.johnson cut as a June 1 cut? It’s to have more cap room this year if he didn’t want more cap this year he should of just cut  t. Johnson right away so he would be off the books this year. Why did he do that because he needs the cap space this year for something? Be it a trade for Trent or Clowney or yannick or obj. Everyone say he just roll it over but why then have Johnson as a June first cut then? There something he saving cap money for this year. 

Not necessarily. Early projections are the cap will increase $25m - $30m next year with the new TV deals. Much easier to absorb the Johnson dead money with next year's cap. Remember, this year's cap isn't even as high as everyone thought it would be. So I think JD is just playing it safe this year since he knows he'll have much more money to play with next spring.

5 hours ago, slats said:

This would be my preference, but the fact that Joe Douglas has openly talked about making Jamal a Jet for life in the first year that he's eligible for an extension suggests otherwise to me. If he planned to let contract play out, he coulda/woulda said something like, "Jamal's under contract and I have some other pressing needs right now." 

Yeah, very disturbing statement.  Right up there with Bowles "Fitz will be the starter" while he was a FA.

The way the "Nobody picks up the phone on a Tom Brady call" drama went, I suspect the village idiot, (I've never had a job) CJ, injected his wisdom into  the situation. 

Hopefully, JD doesn't feel that way, and can convince the buffon that paying a SS $20,000,000 is not a good fiscal idea. 

39 minutes ago, KRL said:

I think I would replace re-signing Beachum with Logan Ryan

I played Oline in HS and until I got in there our 1st string QB got his ribs broken so badly he couldn't play anymore. So, you see I am like many others more towards the overkill side of Oline than the extra coverage in the secondary, though I would like both. Plus our D was fairly solid at the end of last season while the Oline outside of Beachem and Lewis and maybe Harrison were killing us since the whole right side was just non-functional.

• Upvote 1