Jets X Factor: Breshad Perriman film review

I have this running in the background.  Seems a little excessive.  Around 1:20, they do about 5 minutes on a trips pattern with Perriman on the outside.  Perriman runs a sloppy out, pulling the CB and LB.  For some reason, Winston still goes to him and he gets a PI.  seems like it should be thrown to the guy that was on the point, but whatever.  Seems like Perriman was a decoy on this play and that CB was sitting there anyway.

EDIT, on 2nd thought, this guy is plenty sloppy.

His route running is terrible-to-inconsistent. His speed is irrelevant if he can’t plant and cut properly and consistently. You don’t run a slant by trying to plant the inside foot...or whatever he’s trying to do sometimes.

His body and frame may be too big to allow his speed to transfer into the NFL on anything but routes that don’t require real change of direction.

Don’t get too excited. His success will depend solely on how he is fit into the offense and if he can develop trust with Darnold. There is no way to tell.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

3 and 3/4 years as a bust and the. 5 good games and he’s our savior. 

Good to see that your best chance to ridicule another Jet deal is to go way over the top and call him our savior.  

I'd love you to copy and paste a single post that refers to Perriman as our savior.

Your over the top references hurt your case, they dont help them like you apparently think they do

• Upvote 3

I like Perrimans upside and the contract. Having said that, he’s a downgrade from Robby and isn’t really a WR2. He’s an upgrade over Doctson and he’s definitely a good piece to have with a ton of upside but apart from a few games he’s been underwhelming. Good pieces but we still need to add a playmaker big time 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why do you think that?  He's had good size and sub-4.3 speed since before he came into the league. 

His speed was urban legend like.  He was injured and didn't run at the combine.  On his pro day he was supposedly clocked at 4.19 to 4.24 by NFL scouts and personnel guys.  JD  may have participated in scouting him.  He didn't hesitate in signing Perriman as a fallback when Robby decided to go elsewhere.

IMO JD's going to look for 4.35 - 4.45 speed at WR in this draft too.

The best I can be with Perriman, is hopeful that the light bulb went on in those last 5 games.  That he can be productive as a Jet and cushion the loss of Robby.  One thing for sure...Perriman is not a #1 receiver.  IMO Jets need a #1 badly in this draft  for Darnold and Gase's passing attack.  In rounds 1-4 Jets could take two WRs...Just not sure what round he starts to address it.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This makes me think of those videos we saw of Gase breaking down film. Remember those from last season? He was breaking down darnold as I remember, any way hes breaking  down the film just marveling  at his innate talent and how this means this and this means that, all the while talking about what they are going to do together, how to set up plays, set up success etc. 

Well it all amounted to the worst paying calling anyone has every seen in the nfl, not even the most basic concepts on the field, just crap all year.

So now stuff like this, or anything really, just makes me think that no matter how great this player or any other is, they will just be wasted by this idiot gase.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I was sad to see Robby leave for Carolina but immediately became thankful to see us sign Perriman who can not only do everything Robby once did for us as a vertical deep threat on the outside who can stretch the field and take the top off a defense but also just as fast if not faster than Robby Anderson (which is scary) and ran an unofficial 4.25 during his pro day and other scouts had him clocked in @ 4.19!  At 212 lbs he's got Olympic track star type blazing speed and lightning quick. 

He's imo the perfect and/or at least an ideal #2 type of speed demon on the outside once lined up opposite of a great route runner such as a Jerry Jeudy and will open up underneath routes for the likes of Bell, Crowder Herndon and hopefully Jeudy/CeeDee. 

What I like most even more than his insane speed is his production closing out 2019; his final 5 games were awesome including back to back to back (3 consecutive) games of over 100+ receiving yards during the last 3 weeks (promise). 

Great pickup for Joe Douglas and just goes to show me that he had himself an immediate plan B after losing Anderson to Carolina. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I like Perrimans upside and the contract. Having said that, he’s a downgrade from Robby and isn’t really a WR2. He’s an upgrade over Doctson and he’s definitely a good piece to have with a ton of upside but apart from a few games he’s been underwhelming. Good pieces but we still need to add a playmaker big time 

Exactly. He's a piece that you add to a WR room. He should never be the best wideout on the team heading into the draft.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. He's a piece that you add to a WR room. He should never be the best wideout on the team heading into the draft.

He is a downgrade to robbie ? What planet are you on. That's crazy he is easily  just as good and most lo likely  better 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

People keep calling for trade downs at 11 but idk how this team can pass on Jeudy/Lamb or Ruggs if the OTs are gone 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vader said:

His route running is terrible-to-inconsistent. His speed is irrelevant if he can’t plant and cut properly and consistently. You don’t run a slant by trying to plant the inside foot...or whatever he’s trying to do sometimes.

His body and frame may be too big to allow his speed to transfer into the NFL on anything but routes that don’t require real change of direction.

Don’t get too excited. His success will depend solely on how he is fit into the offense and if he can develop trust with Darnold. There is no way to tell.

This is the reality of that discount folks dont deal with when dealing in broad strokes comparing the savings in comparison to what Robby got. 

Perriman signed that contract for a reason. 

29 minutes ago, SR24 said:

People keep calling for trade downs at 11 but idk how this team can pass on Jeudy/Lamb or Ruggs if the OTs are gone 

And this is why Im concerned about what we did in free agency. We didnt get a certified starter at any of the tackle positions and we downgraded at WR.

Now were in a situation where we are desperate for a receiver but because we didn't fill holes in free agency  but instead made one in the WR room we may have to trade down and not get any of the top teir OT/WR on the board but hope that we can get a Josh Jones or Ezra Cleveland while addressing WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

We either needed to sign Conklin or keep Robby, but instead Conklin and Robby signed elsewhere for less than anyone anticipated. 

I really would like Jeudy, but we need to address this Oline. At the same time, Perriman is our #1 Wideout right now. 

This isnt a good situation.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I was sad to see Robby leave for Carolina but immediately became thankful to see us sign Perriman who can not only do everything Robby once did for us as a vertical deep threat on the outside who can stretch the field and take the top off a defense but also just as fast if not faster than Robby Anderson (which is scary) and ran an unofficial 4.25 during his pro day and other scouts had him clocked in @ 4.19!  At 212 lbs he's got Olympic track star type blazing speed and lightning quick. 

He's imo the perfect and/or at least an ideal #2 type of speed demon on the outside once lined up opposite of a great route runner such as a Jerry Jeudy and will open up underneath routes for the likes of Bell, Crowder Herndon and hopefully Jeudy/CeeDee. 

What I like most even more than his insane speed is his production closing out 2019; his final 5 games were awesome including back to back to back (3 consecutive) games of over 100+ receiving yards during the last 3 weeks (promise). 

Great pickup for Joe Douglas and just goes to show me that he had himself an immediate plan B after losing Anderson to Carolina. 

Football isnt track. Robby is clearly a better wide receiver than Breshad Perriman.

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And this is why Im concerned about what we did in free agency. We didnt get a certified starter at any of the tackle positions and we downgraded at WR.

Now were in a situation where we are desperate for a receiver but because we didn't fill holes in free agency  but instead made one in the WR room we may have to trade down and not get any of the top teir OT/WR on the board but hope that we can get a Josh Jones or Ezra Cleveland while addressing WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

We either needed to sign Conklin or keep Robby, but instead Conklin and Robby signed elsewhere for less than anyone anticipated. 

I really would like Jeudy, but we need to address this Oline. At the same time, Perriman is our #1 Wideout right now. 

I’d love Jeudy at 11 and a trade for Trent Williams. Might be the best of both worlds. Or the only trade I make with them is Ridley and 16 for 11 if not see ya later 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Good to see that your best chance to ridicule another Jet deal is to go way over the top and call him our savior.  

I'd love you to copy and paste a single post that refers to Perriman as our savior.

Your over the top references hurt your case, they dont help them like you apparently think they do

Wait, what?

People have been praising the guy.  

1) Saved us from the big bad Robby Anderson.  

2) He’s a steel at that price.

3) He’s a rising star.  

4) Gase will get the best out of him.  

5) His numbers were only bad because he was on a good team (yes people had the nerve to use that one)

And many more...

Forgive m if I don’t list all of the praise this move has gotten and just consolidate it one word for expedience sake.

If you loved the signing good for you, for me it was a major drop in talent - and once again the vast majority of this fan base refuse to see it for what it is.  Trying to convince yourselves that his good 5 games after 3 and 3/4 years of bust play somehow make JD super smart for letting our best offense weapon go over $3mm...

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

36 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I’m so glad to see someone not trying to sugarcoat this offseason.

It hasn’t been good.  No impartial, knowledgeable person can see it otherwise.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why do you think that?  He's had good size and sub-4.3 speed since before he came into the league. 

Among other reasons

No player caught more TDs in the final five weeks of the 2019 season than .
Perriman was hurt the first 2 years of his career.  Fell into a back up, bust kind of role after that.
Last year as a #3 WR, because of injuries, became a regular target.  Really stepped up.  Living in Fla. I got to see him some and came away fairly high on the guy. 

Some players take longer to mature then others.  He is off a very nice stretch of games.  Think/hope he can continue that if continued to be given a chance.  Guys got top shelf tools.  End of last year he showed what he can do with them when he clicks.

49 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’m so glad to see someone not trying to sugarcoat this offseason.

It hasn’t been good.  No impartial, knowledgeable person can see it otherwise.

Yes.  

Two overrated bums in Conklin and Robby don't come to our team and the f*cking sky is falling and the guy who hasn't stopped running his mouth about Gase for almost 24 months straight is here to tell us that anyone who disagrees isn't impartial or knowledgeable. 

All of this trivial bullsh*t over a YouTube video.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yes.  

Two overrated bums in Conklin and Robby don't come to our team and the f*cking sky is falling because the guy who hasn't stopped running his mouth about Gase for almost 24 months is here to tell us that anyone who disagrees isn't impartial or knowledgeable.

Nobody said the sky is falling, but the team, particularly the offense hasn’t gotten better and our hands are pretty tied in the draft.  Too many holes that basically HAVE to be filled in the draft.

And yes, if you’re impartial you simply can’t look at the situation the Jets are in and think it’s been a successful off season to date.  The worst offense in the league lost their best weapon and mostly signed back-up OLinemen to replace their old backup Olinmen

I said, it can change - and certainly hope it does.  There are still some quality players out there and he can nail the draft.  Just right now, I am concerned about the talen on the offense.

People need to really check their expectations for Perriman.   Way too much faith is being placed in the final 5 games of the season.  Winston had 33, 42, 45, 48 and 24 attempts in those last 5 games.  They were throwing the ball all over the field.  There were also games against the Saints where Winston threw the ball 51 times and Perriman had only 1 reception.  Against Arizona Winston threw the ball 48 times and Perriman only had 2 receptions.  Against Tennessee 43 attempts 0 receptions.  The vast majority of his career he’s been a disappointment, we’ll see what he is now, but I’d temper expectations.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I don't know if it's a function of our inept WR corps, but some of you are placing far too much stock in Perriman. He's depth - with the hope that he can lift a lid or two along the way... WR4, and with a little luck, maybe even our WR3...  

We are without WR1 and WR2.... Crowder falls under the safety blanket / dirty work job and is best served as our #3 in the slot. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Nobody said the sky is falling, but the team, particularly the offense hasn’t gotten better and are hands are pretty tied in the draft.  Too many holes that basically HAVE to be filled in the draft.

And yes, if you’re impartial you simply can’t look at the situation the Jets are in and think it’s been a successful off season to date.  

I said, it can change - and certainly hope it does.  There are still some quality players out there and he can nail the draft.  Just right now, I am concerned about the talen on the offense.

Robby was an overrated bum, with a bad attitude and effort issues, who regularly checked out of games and plays where he wasn't the primary option.  He also had sh*tty route running, regressed from his best season, and his only concern was getting money.  Could he grow the f*ck up and change?  Maybe.  That being said, I'm not blaming Douglas one bit for deciding to not find that out for anything more than a 1 year 10 million dollars.  Breshad Perriman had a good run in Cleveland when given the opportunity to play, and a great run in Tampa when called upon.  He may have started at the bottom in terms of proving himself, but unlike Robby he's been improving.  Sometimes that's what happens with players.  Especially raw ones like Perriman.  The Jets decided to take a gamble on that for, literally, half the cost of Robby.  Given their production from last year is all you can go on, that's a successful off-season move.

Conklin was basically the same thing.  Career underachiever, who has issues staying healthy, who received more help in pass protection than any qaulifying OT, and who commanded a decent sized contract that he, likely, won't live up to.  You don't give away money for the sake of blowing through it.  That's what Maccagnan did and look at where it got us.

There is still the draft to upgrade both OL and WR.  This was never going to be a one year rebuild.  This is what happens when you leave an incompetent a**hole like Maccagnan in charge for way too long.  The only knowledgeable and impartial people here are the people who understand all of what I just wrote and can see that there is way more than meets the eye to the decisions that have been made so far, and that it hasn't been as bad as the doom and gloomers make it out to be.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2