Great Hands Mims ((fixed) (previously titled as Hand of Stone))

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

It can be, generally a guy doesn’t really change the way they catch the ball though.  They may work on focus stuff, but how a guy goes and grabs a ball is usually a natural thing, something that they just do at the point of attack.   I’m not worried in the least about Mims hands.   Just look at some of his contested catches and how he extends and goes up for balls.  He’s fine.  

There were several high degree of difficulty catches - a number of which were sideline toe tappers- including some one handers as well. People are just looking for things to nit pick at this point. 

• Upvote 1

Regarding YAC, if you haven't watched his film, you are shooting in the dark.  Most of his catches seem to be on sideline passes where he had to grab the ball and toe-touch before falling out of bounds, or low passes where he had to catch it practically laying down, or passes thrown behind him, etc.  His QB was not putting him in situations to run after the catch on a lot of those throws. 

Example:  0:42 on this reel - Mims is wide open, with tons of separation from the only DB in the area, the and QB throws him OOB.  It was actually an amazing catch with no chance for YAC.  You want to see what he can do when he had a chance?  Look at 2:35.

2:55 - back to another pass he had to fall OOB to catch.

Watch the film.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

He was playing with a broken hand for 11 of those drops.

When healthy he had less drops than Jeudy and Lamb.

When I saw they tittle of this thread, I was going to come in and say exactly what you just did... Mims may be the WR steal of the draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

When are we hanging out?  I get it, maybe crappy.. no pun intended. However..

. Concerning stat is only 3.0 YAC per per catch. That’s low for someone that big, that fast. #Jets

What does that have to do with his "drop" problem that you initially started this about? Nothing.  But go ahead and change the subject since you were proven wrong.  

And as far as his YAC, he had the most contested catches in college football last year at 20. That may be why. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82965/jets-draft-grade-hinges-on-development-of-speedy-wr-denzel-mims

He dropped 20 passes over his final three seasons.  No worries...problem solved. 

tenor (4).gif

Edited: Concerning stat is only 3.0 YAC per per catch. That’s low for someone that big, that fast. #Jets

Helps to know what youre complaining about.

2 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82965/jets-draft-grade-hinges-on-development-of-speedy-wr-denzel-mims

He dropped 20 passes over his final three seasons.  No worries...problem solved. 

tenor (4).gif

Edited: Concerning stat is only 3.0 YAC per per catch. That’s low for someone that big, that fast. #Jets

The amazing thing about this post is how committed you are to finding something to complain about

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I cant say I watched a ton of Baylor but what I did watch and what I have seen of Mims is that he had to make a lot of adjustments for balls and he made a lot of diving, twisting, turning catches but when hit in stride, he didnt seem to have any issue picking up extra yards.   I wonder if some of this was from poor ball placement/routes he was running. 

I seem to recall NOT being too impressed with the QB who threw him the ball also.  The few times I saw Baylor play (I could be wrong because like I said I didn’t see too much of them).  Rarely saw the guy hit anyone in stride.  Tough to get YAC when that is your situation.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

The amazing thing about this post is how committed you are to finding something to complain about

I am not complaining, just passing information from other sources.  Not every post will be a positive, Disneyland-lollipop post. I hope he turns into a pro bowler and that becomes the steal of the draft. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Hands of stone is a bit of an ignorant statement.  While he has a couple “easy” drops, he made some incredibly difficult catches.  To say he has stone hands suggests you never watched him play.   Mims was targeted 112 times, high volume target guys will have some drops.  Juedy, Lamb both targeted a lot had their share as well.  To see people compare Mims to Stephen Hill and suggest that he has poor hands is comical.

take 2018 out of the equation and he has a lower drop ratio than Jeudy or Lamb.  Broken hand for the 2018 season?  I did not know that until yesterday.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/15/denzel-mims-played-junior-season-with-broken-hand/

Denzel Mims played junior season with broken hand

Posted by Charean Williams on April 15, 2020, 7:27 PM EDT

GettyImages-1209327701-e1586993187366.jp
Getty Images

NFL teams have asked Denzel Mims to explain why he caught only 55 passes for 794 yards and eight touchdowns in 2018. The Baylor receiver revealed in his interviews with them that he played his junior season with a broken hand, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

“One of his only questions revolves around some drops as a junior, and it turns out he played with a broken hand that season,” Rapoport tweeted. “It’s an issue that’s come up as he’s had discussions with teams considering taking him.”

Mims was held to three or fewer catches in six of the 12 games he played that season.

He returned for his senior season and caught 66 passes for 1,020 yards and 12 touchdowns. Mims now is projected as a first-round pick.

He ran a 4.38 40-yard dash at the Combine.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

take 2018 out of the equation and he has a lower drop ratio than Jeudy or Lamb.  Broken hand for the 2018 season?  I did not know that until yesterday.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/15/denzel-mims-played-junior-season-with-broken-hand/

Denzel Mims played junior season with broken hand

Posted by Charean Williams on April 15, 2020, 7:27 PM EDT

GettyImages-1209327701-e1586993187366.jp
Getty Images

NFL teams have asked Denzel Mims to explain why he caught only 55 passes for 794 yards and eight touchdowns in 2018. The Baylor receiver revealed in his interviews with them that he played his junior season with a broken hand, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

“One of his only questions revolves around some drops as a junior, and it turns out he played with a broken hand that season,” Rapoport tweeted. “It’s an issue that’s come up as he’s had discussions with teams considering taking him.”

Mims was held to three or fewer catches in six of the 12 games he played that season.

He returned for his senior season and caught 66 passes for 1,020 yards and 12 touchdowns. Mims now is projected as a first-round pick.

He ran a 4.38 40-yard dash at the Combine.

We did better than the Packers for sure. I hope it all translates into production in grown man's league. 

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Guy hasn't played a down of football for us yet, and he's already got a sh*tty nickname. What kind of fan does that? Besides the fact he doesn't even know what the fck he's talking about.

If you ever visit Colorado, there are plenty weed shops.  I recommend any Indica strain for you, calms down. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

but what I did watch and what I have seen of Mims is that he had to make a lot of adjustments for balls and he made a lot of diving, twisting, turning catches

I fall in love with prospects when I see body control like that. It shows off the concentration aspect just as much. Mims can catch and he can be very reliable doing it. Stats are good and I make the majority of my arguments off numbers but noooo...Mims doesn’t have the dropsies at all. 

that’s crazy.

7 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

From the piece: “As one opposing scout wondered, when was the last time a Baylor receiver hit it big in the NFL? The answer is never.”

Josh Gordon 

That’s just silly. Could have said the same thing about QBs from Pitt and Tenn before marino and manning. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thshadow said:

Here's another one.  He might be one of the fastest (4.38) and quickest (best 3-cone time in the entire combine), but he can't catch for sh*t

https://www.espn.com/watch/player?bucketId=5342&id=27830442

Not sure how anyone can like this pick.

Because they either saw him play or watched some videos. Highlights or not he can obviously catch quite well. I guess multiple source of information are better than one.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Helps to know what youre complaining about.

Question for the statisticians here - Is YAC negatively influenced when you catch a TD in the end zone?  In other words, if Mims is catching a fade or end zone target doesn't that completion have 0.0 YAC because it's a TD....and that number gets factored into his average?

• Upvote 2