Quinnen Williams Article

KRL

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm a cockeyed optimist, so I'm sure my views are somewhat skewed that direction, but I legitimately believe QW will have a good year this year.  A high Ankle sprain is more debilitating and hangs around longer than most likely realize.

I tend to agree.   I think the real debate is what a “good” year will be for QW.   If people are expecting Aaron Donald, then they will be extremely disappointed.  Based on draft position and who was passed over to select QW,  unless he gets WAY more involved in disrupting the passing game, I think people will be very reluctant in declaring he had a good season.  

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I tend to agree.   I think the real debate is what a “good” year will be for QW.   If people are expecting Aaron Donald, then they will be extremely disappointed.  Based on draft position and who was passed over to select QW,  unless he gets WAY more involved in disrupting the passing game, I think people will be very reluctant in declaring he had a good season.  

I think Akiem Hicks for the Bears is a good barometer.  The past several years he's had around 7-8 sacks an 12-15 TFL.  I think those are reasonable, attainable type numbers for QW.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like Quinnen should be a 3-4 end where he won’t get beat to sh*t as much. He might be miscast as a DT. He gives me Shaun Ellis vibes in that we’re going to waste some of his career playing out of position

It's so typical of the prior lunacy of past years that we draft players without seemingly giving thought as to where to play them to maximize their talent. We draft Coples, play him inside, where he was a disruptive force because of height, strength and quickness, and he  has a decent rookie season with 5,5 sacks. Next season, the self proclaimed "defensive guru," Rex, decides he's really a cover outside LBer, and we all know how that turned out. Q looked like a fish out of water last year from day #1. It seems that so many times, there was a true disconnect between the coaches and the GM over picks, maybe not so much with Mr.T and Idzik, but  for sure with Macc. As I've said here many times, I would love to know who Gase and more importantly Williams were pushing for when Macc picked Q. I can't believe it was him. Hopefully JD amd the coaches are way more in sync.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like Quinnen should be a 3-4 end where he won’t get beat to sh*t as much. He might be miscast as a DT. He gives me Shaun Ellis vibes in that we’re going to waste some of his career playing out of position

I know exactly what you're saying TOm but I trust GW will put him in a spot where he will do the most damage. I'm so glad GW is our DC.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Or, just switch back to base 4-3 and let him play at 3 Tech, where he should be. 

6'3 300 shouldn't be in the middle of a 3-4 front 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

He's so determined to better himself that he gave up fast food and Oreo cookies, big sacrifices for any 22-year-old.

This is all I took from this article.

#3 overall pick. Couldnt even put down Oreos until his second season.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I’m not going to start gushing about a pro athlete hiring a trainer and nutritionist during the offseason and giving up cookies and milk.

It’s something just about every player in any pro sport has been doing for years now.

Quinnen seems like a good kid, and I’m on the side of those who think he can become a good player for this team, but stories like this don’t move the needle. The only thing they do is get a trainer some publicity.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Williams' offseason began with a wrong kind of headline -- a March arrest for allegedly carrying an unlicensed pistol in a New York airport. (The charges are pending; the expectation is that his playing status won't be affected in 2020.) Williams tried to spin the offseason into a positive by committing to his craft. Come training camp, we'll see the results.

I've been saying the bold since the incident happened. I don't expect any suspensions resulting from a well-intentioned ignorance of the law. Glad to see that articulated in a national piece. 

4 hours ago, KRL said:

"I grew up in that area and I know one thing about Jets' fans: They want toughness," Rhule said. "They want someone who's going to compete. They want grinders and workers, and that's what Denzel [Mims]is. ... He's not going to be some guy who's all about the headlines. He's a worker."

I'm very excited about Mims, and I think Matt Rhule is right here: I really like the idea of a potential #1 WR who takes pride in his blocking. Dude looked like he had a real chip on his shoulder when he took the call from Joe D, I hope he plays with it there. 

4 hours ago, KRL said:

When the sides get around to serious negotiating, there could be a difference of opinion on his true value. That's because Adams is more than a safety, which undoubtedly will factor into his asking price.

This narrative is going to lead to the eventual divorce of the Jets and Jamal Adams. Either a trade, or they let him play out his deal and walk - maybe even after franchising him once or twice. Maybe I'm the one projecting here, but nothing Joe Douglas has done so far suggests to me that he's going to pay Adams anything more than top SS pay, if that. 

4 hours ago, KRL said:

If Darnold gets the top spot [as the Jets new NFL Players' Association team rep], he'd have to be one of the youngest team reps ever at 23. New guard Greg Van Roten, 30, was the Panthers' top rep last season.

Torn on this one. Don't think I really want Darnold being bothered with the day to day BS of being the team's rep, but also feel that it would say something about how his teammates view him if they voted him in. 

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Here's the problem I could debate that but that would be called political.. Since your a Mod Max lets you slide. 

You couldn't debate the timeline or the results. The US did a terrible job. 

As a mod, I could've removed @32EBoozer's post, but I decided to respond to it, instead. I'll leave it there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, RobR said:

Considering this was from a week ago, I think he needs a new trainer.

101055144_3122295647860318_6450985016436

Another “Maccagnan Special”.

I hope he has someone who will invest his first contract for him wisely and not take advantage of him.  Because I’m calling it right now.  He’s not getting a second one, and will be out of the league.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I rhink Q is one of those rare players that you can play inside or outside. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I rhink Q is one of those rare players that you can play inside or outside. 

Like I said earlier, I like QW and think he’s going to play better this season.

I think we should hold off on the “he’s one of those rare players...” stuff until he actually does play better though.

As of today, there is absolutely nothing “rare” about him. Saying he was “Average” would be pushing it.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What’s painful about this is that Hicks is a good comparison for standard but no living person would ever go back in time and draft Akiem Hicks in the first round, much less at 3 overall

Yes leave the Edge Rusher on the board..

The memory of Mike Maccagnan nearly gives me a thrombosis. How many poor decisions can one guy make!

Q is a 4-3 DT, he’s not a NT, not is he’s not a 3-4 DE.

We drafted a player at 3, that didn’t even fit the scheme we run.

Is he getting on the field, and If so where will they play him? - Will he miss games over the gun nonsense?