Ryan Fitzpatrick expected to win Dolphins' QB battle over Tua Tagovailoa

For those who don't remember how things went, this article is a good summary...

Ryan Fitzpatrick will move on from the Jets after a polarizing 2 years

The Jets had a wild ride with Fitzpatrick at the helm.

By Mansur Shaheen@mansurshaheen  Feb 9, 2017, 11:24am EST 

On Friday, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick will officially become a free agent after an exciting two-year stint with the New York Jets. Two years that included the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows for the journeyman quarterback. A quarterback who could have a team thinking playoffs one week, and wanting to run him out of town the next. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s time in New York was magical.

He joined the team in 2015, as the Jets seemed lost at the quarterback position. Geno Smith had not lived up to expectations, and was sidelined for the first few weeks of the season after a teammate broke his jaw in a locker room altercation. Bryce Petty was deemed not ready to be an NFL starter, and Mike Vick had left the offseason before.

Coming from Houston, a team that had a quarterback carousel of its own, Fitzpatrick was stepping into a situation he was used to. He knew he wasn’t the franchise guy, just as he wasn’t in his previous five NFL franchises. He was a career backup, who would always be ready to take over if the starter began to struggle. That is what made what he did in 2015 was so special.

Fitzpatrick took over and instantly made his presence in New York felt. The team raced out to a 4-1 start and looked like contenders in the AFC East. In true Jets fashion, they then lost four of the next five games and seemed to have played their way right back out of the playoff race no one expected for them to be a part of in the first place. 

The Jets found themselves right back in it, though, and a five-game winning streak where Fitzpatrick threw 13 touchdowns and only one interception had them one win away from the postseason. 

Then, in the Week 17 match up against a division rival, the Buffalo Bills, only a week removed from an incredible performance to upset the New England Patriots, he imploded. Fitzpatrick threw two interceptions in the fourth quarter, and the Jets ended their season with a heartbreaking loss. 

The following offseason, Fitzpatrick missed nearly the entire offseason with the Jets due to a contract dispute. They wanted to re-sign him to a three-year deal, but he held out, betting on himself to make the most of a one-year deal for a bigger contract in the future.

A public rift between the Jets and Fitzpatrick arose, with receiver Brandon Marshall even revealing that he had dropped contact with his quarterback after they had texted nearly every day during the previous season. 

The quarterback eventually returned to the team, and everything went wrong. He had possibly the worst performance of any quarterback in 2016 during a Week 3 game against the Chiefs, throwing six (!) interceptions. 

He was benched twice, but always found his way back on the field due to Smith and Petty’s inability to stay healthy. A 3-8 record as a starter has all but ended any chance he had at taking over as the Jets long-term quarterback, and now he finds himself in a familiar situation — a journeyman yet again looking for a place to call home.

Teams like San Francisco and Cleveland may come calling this offseason, as they both have a long way to go before they can truly contend again and he could serve as a stand-in until their young options at QB develop into full time starters. Teams like the Bears and Bills could use his services, as they have a lot of question marks themselves at the position, and a player who has shown some flashes of talent could be enough to head them in the right direction.

What teams do know, though, is that Fitzpatrick may be one of the most polarizing players in the league. One week he looks like an MVP contender, and the next he reminds you why he’s now looking for a sixth franchise to play for.

Now that we’ve finished the Jets chapter of Fitzpatrick’s career, it’s already time to begin yet another.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/training-camp-buzz-ryan-fitzpatrick-expected-to-win-dolphins-qb-battle-over-tua-

Training Camp Buzz: Ryan Fitzpatrick expected to win Dolphins' QB battle over Tua Tagovailoa

Published: Aug 19, 2020 at 12:31 PM

NFLShield

Around the NFL Staff

nfl.com

Don't expect Brian Flores to name a starting quarterback soon, even if the Dolphins coach already knows who will pilot the offense in Week 1. It likely won't be the 22-year-old Miami drafted No. 5 overall in the 2020 draft but instead the 37-year-old who made the team more competitive in 2019 than anyone expected. "Brian Flores comes from the Bill Belichick school of competition," NFL Network's Mike Garafolo said. "He wouldn't declare a starting quarterback in this competition this early. But the expectation is you're looking at the starter in Ryan Fitzpatrick." Garafolo pointed to the hiring of offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, who came out of retirement this year and has worked with Fitzpatrick at two previous stops (Jets, Bills). The long-term plan, of course, is to nurture Tua Tagovailoa. But the Alabama standout not starting from Day 1 isn't an indictment on his health, per Garafolo. "It's less a health thing with Tua, it's more, he's going to have to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick. It's not going to be about the hip, it's not going to be, we're going to redshirt this guy because he's not ready to go physically. It's really going to be about, let's give him the time to develop if he's not at the point to where he can beat out Fitzpatrick."

10668549_0.jpg

The Dolphins drafting Tua was the cherry on top of the 2020 draft.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Fitz is a cancer.  Tua won’t progress until he’s out of there 

Just like Adam Jones. I tell ya, the world has gone straight to hell. Then again, just the thought of Neil O'Donnell gives me cancer; but we're not talking about the Jets so I guess I'll just try to think pleasant thoughts. The power of positive thinking!; but that makes me think of some 80 year hippie from Woodstock talking about "the good old days" of not taking a bath and sharing spit on joints in a happy circle. That's all pre-COVID-19, mind you, but it's not nostalgic, buddy, it's just as gross now as it was then. I live near Woodstock. What was this about again? Probably some Chai garbage drink. There's actually a NEW AGE BEVERAGE aisle in the supermarket now. Time to pull up stakes and move into a cave. With my luck some idiot will send a rescue party. Oh, no! Socks with sandals! I'll have to stab myself to death with a stalagmite now. Thanks, Phil.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jetophile said:

Just like Adam Jones. I tell ya, the world has gone straight to hell. Then again, just the thought of Neil O'Donnell gives me cancer; but we're not talking about the Jets so I guess I'll just try to think pleasant thoughts. The power of positive thinking!; but that makes me think of some 80 year hippie from Woodstock talking about "the good old days" of not taking a bath and sharing spit on joints in a happy circle. That's all pre-COVID-19, mind you, but it's not nostalgic, buddy, it's just as gross now as it was then. I live near Woodstock. What was this about again? Probably some Chai garbage drink. There's actually a NEW AGE BEVERAGE aisle in the supermarket now. Time to pull up stakes and move into a cave. With my luck some idiot will send a rescue party. Oh, no! Socks with sandals! I'll have to stab myself to death with a stalagmite now. Thanks, Phil.  

k

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Any team starting Ryan Fitzpatrick is putting up a sign saying they're incompetent.

He’s fools’ gold.  On a bad team he will come in and somehow pull a couple wins out of his ass, become flavor of the month and then get exposed.  He divides locker rooms with his nonsense.  I think Bowles was an absolute joke of a head coach but Fitz publicly bashing him for benching him after he played poorly was all I needed to see

10 hours ago, jetophile said:

There we go!  You need to post far more often!  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, HessStation said:

Smart move by dolphins imo

Agreed.  Tua isn't ready, and there is no reason whatsoever to rush him.  Fitz can placehold just fine, allowing a more "when he is really ready" transition for Tua when the times comes, which will still assuredly be during the 2020 season.  It's not like the Phins are a title contender either, so nothing is lost doing it this way, and frankly early on Fitz is probably the better QB when it comes to winning NFL games that Tua is anyway.  That will change soon enough, of course, as well.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agreed.  Tua isn't ready, and there is no reason whatsoever to rush him.  Fitz can placehold just fine, allowing a more "when he is really ready" transition for Tua when the times comes, which will still assuredly be during the 2020 season.  It's not like the Phins are a title contender either, so nothing is lost doing it this way, and frankly early on Fitz is probably the better QB when it comes to winning NFL games that Tua is anyway.  That will change soon enough, of course, as well.

0303C53D-49B6-480F-81C8-DB08C3FCA94F.jpeg.292ea3d3578e7a2b252901c5e49f9d75.jpeg

2 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Sounds like Rosen isn’t even getting a shot.  I would demand a release.

Fitz with his locker room politics bs.  The dolphins are rebuilding and trying to see what they have in Rosen until Tua is ready which probably won’t be until 2021

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Fitz with his locker room politics bs.  The dolphins are rebuilding and trying to see what they have in Rosen until Tua is ready which probably won’t be until 2021

If the Dolphins want to "see what they have" in Rosen, the Dolphins can start him.  What the locker room thinks is 100% irrelevant.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the Dolphins want to "see what they have" in Rosen, the Dolphins can start him.  What the locker room thinks is 100% irrelevant.

Full disclosure here.....I was 100% sure on draft night 2018 that we were taking Rosen. And I would have been happy as hell. Definitely something that won't make my updated resume'.?

• Upvote 2

Just now, section314 said:

Full disclosure here.....I was 100% sure on draft night 2018 that we were taking Rosen. And I would have been happy as hell. Definitely something that won't make my updated resume'.?

No harm in that, we're all guessing to some degree on draft day.  I was a huge Baker Mayfield guy that draft myself, and he has hardly lived up to my expectations to-date.

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why, are there other NFL teams clamoring to sign Josh Rosen and "give him a shot" to start these days?  

His chit attitude leading up to the draft left a lot of execs with a bad taste in their mouths, but if he's outplaying Tua, he's outplaying Tua.  Rather give him the nod over Fitz.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The media giving the 5-11 Dolphins a tongue bath all offseason just to watch Flores start Fitzpatrick all year to go 7-9 will be ******* priceless.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No harm in that, we're all guessing to some degree on draft day.  I was a huge Baker Mayfield guy that draft myself, and he has hardly lived up to my expectations to-date.

I liked Baker too. Still don't fathom how Lincoln Riley took the ball out of his hands on their last possession vs Georgia in that semi-final game. I remember watching Rosen and thinking of how much he reminded me of Marino at Piit. Totally confident, never afraid to make any throw at any time. Super confident. Feel the same way about Trevor Lawrence. Sorry@Sec101