Game Observations (BUF)

KRL

53 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Good analysis of a horrible game and horrible effort.

Players I was pleasantly surprised by. 

Bless Austin, Becton, Langi, Gore.

Disappointed by:

Darnold, Bell, Perriman, Herndon, Q, Jenkins, Desir.... The list could probably go on for a very long time.

Bless Austin may be the best player on this team.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Here's the observation, an absolutely pathetic, putrid and trash
performance by everyone in a Jet uniform.  After choosing not to
come out for the National Anthem (don't get me started) they
should've stayed in there for the rest of the game.  A totally
fake final score of 27-17 hides the total no show effort:

Special Teams

- The first play of the game should've been a sign, Josh Malone
returns the KO outside the 30.  Decent field position, but of
course there's a holding penalty.  So they start at the 9, typical.
Credit to Malone because that was the only semblance of a return
all game.  I know Ashtyn Davis was a hurdler in college but that
needs to be left on the track.  He got his bell rung because he
stupidly tried to hurdle a tackler

- Unfortunately we saw way too much of Braden Mann.  Good job by
him (46.3 avg) but no one wants to see a punter that much

- Sam Ficken was perfect in all his attempts (FG, 2 XP's) but so
what

Defense

- Poor job by the defense in containing Josh Allen's running game
in the first half

- As usual no front seven pressure which allowed Allen way too much
time in the pocket

- Is Blake Cashman's body allergic to artificial turf?  He gets one
snap into the season and he's hurt again?  He now has become the 
"Caucasian Dee Milliner", you have a shot to solidify a starting
job and you can't stay on the field.  Give me a break 

- An excellent Trumaine Johnson impersonation by Pierre Desir and
that's not a good thing.  So poor of a performance that Gregg
Williams pulls him for Nate Hairston

- Marcus Maye filled the hybrid role as expected and had a good
game: 10 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 2 TFL, 2 Passes Defensed and 2 QB Hits

- Bless Austin earned a starting job and then backed it up with:
8 Tackles and 1 TFL

- Brian Poole had a costly holding penalty in the red zone which
cost the team a TD.  But he was productive with: 9 Tackles, 1 Sack,
1 TFL and 1 Pass Defensed

Offense

- What offense?  A total nonsensical plan to start the game.  The
only groups that were able to stay on the field during camp was
the OLine, TE's, RB's and Darnold.  Why not test the conditioning
of BUF defense and run the ball?  Nope, let's spread out and have
BUF test our pass protection with blitzes.  How did that work?
They didn't get a first down until two minutes left in the first
quarter

- Jamison Crowder was the only offensive player who put up decent
numbers (7 rec, 115 yds, TD) and he even had a couple of drops

- Chris Herndon was a non-factor (6 rec, 37 yds) with a costly
fumble.  And NOT ONE target for Ryan Griffin?  Can someone explain
this to me?

- Breshad Perriman also was a non-factor (3 recs, 17 yds)   

- Sam Darnold was horrible I don't care what his stats were (21/35,
215 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT).  You are now three years in the league, you
can't have a delay of game penalty on the first play of a drive with
NO CROWD NOISE.  Also, you can't take a sack by running out of bounds
when you can throw it away.  And finally you can not throw that INT
when you have an easy run in front of you that can pick up the first
down.  Totally inaccurate in the first half and definitely the far
inferior QB.  I am now officially concerned about what Darnold is
and what he'll become

if you were not concerned about sam its b/c you were putting your head in the nearest pile of sand....

vegas thinks hes garbage

• Sympathy 3

40 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is why you don’t trade John Abraham.  We’ve never recovered.

Trading John Abraham was OK.  Being so scared of drafting another Vernon Gholston that you don't draft one with a high pick for over a decade is not. 

There's absolutely no reason why Abraham had to be the last legit pass rusher for this franchise for the last 15 seasons.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Darnold is in year 3. No more personnel excuses for him.  He had WR's open today all over the field in the 1st half and he was missing them by 5 yards. Totally unacceptable for an alleged franchise QB. If he doesn't improve drastically I don't see how the Jets win more than 3 games and that's being generous. 

how is it that everyone is seeing these wide open WR's today but me. Every pass Sam threw was to a covered WR. None of them were getting separation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Yes they were awful. It was a soft camp and I never liked the Gase hire. I think they will gel a few weeks in and be OK, barring the injury bug. Scream all you like, it's a little early in the season fro me. Bills were the better prepared team and have a lot more reps (and talent) with each other. Might still end up with 4 wins, or less, but they need to progress.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thats me, why do you ask? But just to warn you, I'm taken. Sorry. 

WTF is that about? LOL. 

I'm sorry. Clarification: that its you, not about my post. And I am happy for you and your partner. He must make you very happy. I support marriage for all people. Kudos!

• WTF? 1

Telling the truth about this team won't win you any popularity contests

But that is the price for accuracy

Big picture. 

trading away a top 30 player for draft picks while the other guys in his class are getting PAID sent a loud and clear message that winning isn’t the goal this year and this team doesn’t take care of their own 
I saw a bunch of guys going through the motions today 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

I'm going to watch the All 22 tomorrow night because I didn't see these wide open receivers everyone is talking about.

I did see four horrible drops (3 by Crowder) in the first quarter.

Crowder had an awesome day, but he's a big part of why we went three and out the whole first half. 

I'm beginning to accept the fact that Sam is a pussy, but it's still a freaking shame on how they've supported him.  

There's no easy completions on this team.  Every yard is fought for until they call off the dogs at the end of the game.

Damn, I hate this fu king team. 

• Upvote 4

What does Vegas know anyway?

/s

This team might be the worst one we've seen since kotite. But don't point that out because Jets fans would rather shoot the messenger than process news.

People thought I was trolling. I'm not. James Morgan would play better than darnold, as early as next week. I can't believe I'm saying this but darnold holds back Gase.

14 is another in a long line of usc qb mush.

if you were not concerned about sam its b/c you were putting your head in the nearest pile of sand....

vegas thinks hes garbage

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm going to watch the All 22 tomorrow night because I didn't see these wide open receivers everyone is talking about.

Crowder had an awesome day, but he's a big part of why we went three and out the whole first half. 

I'm beginning to accept the fact that Sam is a pussy, but it's still a freaking shame on how they've supported him.  

There's no easy completions on this team.  Every yard is fought for until they call off the dogs at the end of the game.

Seemed like the our WRs had DBs plastered to them on every throw i saw. 

The only QB is saw miss wide open guys was josh Allen who could have easily had another TD or 2.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

/s

This team might be the worst one we've seen since kotite. But don't point that out because Jets fans would rather shoot the messenger than process news.

It’s at least that bad. Offense, defense and special teams all putrid in all three phases.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas had a year and a half to put a draft class together... good lord it looks bad.

His draft class looks bad?

His 1st round tackle supposedly looked good.   His 2nd round receiver pulled a hammy.   His 3rd round safety has had a good camp, his punter did well.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of observations did anyone else notice how often Buffalo would bring down players into the box right before the snap on our running plays?  I am starting to really think our offense has some formation/motion tells that other coaches might have picked up on.

Another observation I had was how it seemed to me that our play action "action" seldom mimics our most frequent running plays. Just wierd stuff.  I can't say I'm 100% accurate on that, but I caught myself twice today thinking that after a PA attempt.

• Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

RBs - Not much to add. Bell just doesn't play up to his pedigree. On the pass where the LB held Bell, if Bell doesn't fall down, he would have walked that in for a TD. On the beautiful pass Darnold hit Bell with down the left sideline, Bell inexcusably just fell down. 

He pulled his hamstring on that play and was visibly grabbing at it as he tumbled to the ground. 

56 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I didn’t see these open wrs either.  And yes there are no easy yards for this team.  They have no playmakers or speed, AGAIN, and darnold clearly is still forcing throws when he gets far behind.  

58 minutes ago, bitonti said:

/s

People thought I was trolling. I'm not. James Morgan would play better than darnold, as early as next week. I can't believe I'm saying this but darnold holds back Gase.

14 is another in a long line of usc qb mush.

You know I really respect you, and I always fought you about Sam. But I am getting very close to pulling the rip cord on him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

You know I really respect you, and I always fought you about Sam. But I am getting very close to pulling the rip cord on him.

At first when darnold was a rookie, I loved how he improvised, threw on the run and created plays.  Now it looks like that’s the only thing he feels comfortable doing, and when he’s tasked with standing in the pocket and making reads, etc, he really ain’t good at it.  So he inevitably goes back to what he’s comfortable doing, which is leaving the pocket and improvising.  This is why he can run a decent 2 minute drill and is also why he throws dumb interceptions.  And i think this is who he is, he’s a talented athlete with a live arm who, like Sanchez and geno, just isn’t good enough from the pocket.  And the lack of skilled rbs/wrs/tes only makes the whole thing worse.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

I am now officially concerned about what Darnold is
and what he'll become

KRL, as always you state things in a way that I feel encapsulates the day.  

I feel similarly. With our limted weapons I was really looking for Sam to step up and realize this is his chance to throw the team on his back. His time! But what we got was an erratic, emotionless and imbalanced display from a QB who just might not be the answer. 

I am not jumping ship just yet, but I am no longer in the mood to make excuses. He had decent time for much of the game, although the game plan didn't help him one bit, and he had open receivers or options to make a play. He did very little of it. 

I'm not sayjng he's the whole problem because he wasn't but to take a moment and speak of Sam's play today, I am not happy at all. I hope he is redeemable.  I'm less confident than I was this very morning. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, RobR said:

He pulled his hamstring on that play and was visibly grabbing at it as he tumbled to the ground. 

You're probably right ... but still, there is always an explanation for why the team doesn't get a good return on its investments. Just like Mosely. I understand why he opted out and he was perfectly within his right to, but still .... its been 2 years now. I'm just tired of all this sh!t. At some point, they have to make it happen.  

• Sympathy 1