### NY Jets 2020 Week 2 Jets vs. 49ers ### - The Official Game Thread

Maxman

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

This is all fine, but I’m just telling you that Darnold isn’t the big problem with this roster. 

And I'm telling you that that doesn't matter.  Darnold needs to be a top 5 player on this team every week or else we don't have a QB.  He's just not.  Not "being the big problem" does not mean you have a QB. 

We can't afford to wait until cycling through a new coaching staff and roster just to find out Darnold's ceiling is Andy Dalton.  It doesn't work like that in the NFL in 2020.  The Cardinals got rid of Josh Rosen in just 1 season.  THAT'S how the NFL works.  You either know you have your guy or you don't have your guy.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

No one ever argued the team is a QB away.  Only that QB is indeed part of the problem, and if you end up with a top 3 pick, you go ahead and take the QB. 

Trading down for three 1st rounders sounds fun until you remember that we already have four 1st rounders the next 2 drafts.  So just go ahead and take the QB.

A coaching change + QB + 1-2 more drafts will be enough to make this team competitive.

No, it can be way faster with the right coach. Not saying a Lombardi is a lock in a year , but you have a LT at least. With an actual coach with an sensible plan, no reason you couldn't compete.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets lost a training camp scrimmage to its 2nd team.  The roster is the bigger problem, and I fully admit Gase sucks and needs to be replaced ASAP.

So many people here thought all we needed to was fire Todd Bowles and we'd be good.  They were wrong.  If you think this team will suddenly be competitive once we rid ourselves of Gase, you will be wrong again.

Gase is part of the problem.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one ever argued the team is a QB away.  Only that QB is indeed part of the problem, and if you end up with a top 3 pick, you go ahead and take the QB. 

Trading down for three 1st rounders sounds fun until you remember that we already have four 1st rounders the next 2 drafts.  So just go ahead and take the QB.  Otherwise we'd be looking to trade back up for a QB a year or 2 later anyways.

A coaching change + QB + 1-2 more drafts will be enough to make this team competitive.

99 out of a 100 I give you a LOL or an upward arrow but here I’d give you a butt fumble

E7E7EB18-578A-427C-82C0-8626E7E94FDB.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And I'm telling you that that doesn't matter.  Darnold needs to be a top 5 player on this team every week or else we don't have a QB.  He's just not.  Not "being the big problem" does not mean you have a QB.  

Respectfully disagree with this.

Herndon drops 3 passes 1 a td

Malone kills a drive with a drop right in his hands.

The line cannot get 1 yard on two plays.

The coach is joke with his play design and play calling

Our #1 receiver is fing hogan

The defense cannot stop anything.

Put Qb concerns at about number 5 or 6 on the list of problems.

If the team wants to dump darnold by all means but to bring in a new qb without actually improving the other areas will be another total waste of time.

Darnold played well enough this game to have a chance to win the rest of the team was utter trash.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course it matters. It’s all that matters.

this season is about finding out whether Darnold is good enough to build a winning team around. 

this roster has no talent and the worst injury luck of all time (which seemingly has followed Gase from Miami) 

Starting over with another QB doesn’t excite me right now - it does nothing to fix the core issues here  

So you believe, at this time, we have our QB?  Or do you disagree with a different part of that argument?

I believe that Sam can be uber successful under an actual coach, ala Bieniemy or Roman. I didn't buy the "everyone becomes more successful after they escape Gase" but that is looking more and more like it is a scary f'ng trend.   I don't think Sam is broken yet and I would like to see the team built around him with a competent head coach before tossing him aside.  I honestly expected a horror show today and he was as good as one could be given the play calling, injuries, and talent around him.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Of course it matters. It’s all that matters.

this season is about finding out whether Darnold is good enough to build a winning team around. 

this roster has no talent and the worst injury luck of all time (which seemingly has followed Gase from Miami) 

Starting over with another QB doesn’t excite me right now - it does nothing to fix the core issues here  

Drafting a QB does not at all preclude a team from fixing its many core issues simultaneously.  Let JD bring in the new coaching staff, make use of our many picks over the next 2 drafts, and, hopefully, bring in at least 1 or 2 impact players in free agency at WR and on the interior OL.  

Just now, Losmeister said:

We'd have to be able to see the field to know...not REALLY arguing...  but the all22 makes it clearer...

for me, Sam, to this point, looks like a b/u level NFLQb.

Blaming Sam for the route packages and play calling at this point is just lazy.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I believe that Sam can be uber successful under an actual coach, ala Bieniemy or Roman. I didn't buy the "everyone becomes more successful after they escape Gase" but that is looking more and more like it is a scary f'ng trend.   I don't think Sam is broken yet and I would like to see the team built around him with a competent head coach before tossing him aside.  I honestly expected a horror show today and he was as good as one could be given the play calling, injuries, and talent around him.

His ceiling is Andy Dalton.  He's not going to be "uber successful" anywhere or with any coach.  He isn't the guy.  

And that shouldn't be a surprise, either.  He was a Macc pick, after all.  The same guy who drafted Christian Hackenberg coveted Sam Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

I have literally never been for firing coaches in the season, but Gase needs to go. Fire him right after the game. It’s time to pull the plug. 

Chris Johnson remember how you said not firing Mac sooner was your one regret? Don’t make Gase your second. Just get rid of him. 

Drafting a QB does not at all preclude a team from fixing its many core issues simultaneously.  Let JD bring in the new coaching staff, make use of our many picks over the next 2 drafts, and, hopefully, bring in at least 1 or 2 impact players in free agency at WR and on the interior OL.  

It doesn’t - but I’d like to put an NFL roster around our 23 year old QB 

that seems like a good idea to me 

• Upvote 2