2021 Draft Day Scenario WWYD?

WWYD?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Make the Trade or Pick Trevor Lawrence?

• Make the Trade (1.1 for 1.3, 2.3 & 3.3)
    • Pick Trevor Lawrence

After a miserable season where the team continues to look like complete trash on both sides of the ball Adam Gase is mercifully relieved of his duties and the Jets hire the next greatest thing to run their squad. Picking at #1 overall Trevor Lawrence is staring them in the face. 

The Panthers are picking #3 overall and make the following offer:

1.3, 2.3 & 3.3 for #1 overall.

Jets existing picks
1.1, 1.30
3.1, 3.29

If the trade is accepted, it gives the Jets 7 of the first 100 picks in the 2021 draft.

New Jets picks
1.3, 1.30
2.1, 2.3
3.1, 3.3, 3.29

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

It would take more than that.

We gave up a 1 and 3 2s to go from 6 to 3.

It would be more likely a 1,2,3 this year and a 1 next year.

Which I would do.  Team would have 3 first rounders and 2 seconds in back to back drafts.  You could replenish a lot of talent with that.   Drafting another QB with the current talent is just going to be another failure.

according to the value chart it's 800 points to move from 3 -> 1. 1.3 + 2.3 + 3.3 = 805.

There is so much that goes into this.  A new HC coming in plus in this scenario we're assuming Darnold does not play well all year.  This offseason the Jets have to make a $25+ million decision on Darnold and his 5th year option.  With all of those things being factored in I think you try as hard as you can to move Darnold and draft Lawrence with the #1 pick.  Start fresh with a new HC and QB. That would buy JD 4 more years to spend with a QB on a rookie deal. Idk how, in this scenario, you pass up a QB and pick up Darnolds 5th year option. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I make the trade.

The Jets suck at drafting high QB's.  We may be close to the Browns to being THE worst at drafting QB's high.

Honestly, I stockpile picks, stockpile a deep roster, and plug first a Veteran QB (a la the Colts) then a late 1st or 2nd round QB into the #1 QB job.

I'm done with the hype of players like Darnold, the modern Tim Couch.  Build a team, then plug in a QB, not vice versa.

But honestly, who knows, we're all desperately grasping at straws right now, just look at the pathetic list of threads on the first page today......

• Upvote 1

If there’s a certified QB1 it’ll take more than that to complete the trade. Probably this year’ 1, next year’s 1 and then the 2nd, 3rd and maybe we give back a 4th to make it seem less crazy. 

At that point you take Fields at 1.3, Surtain at 1.30, Wyatt Davis at 2.1, Chris Olave at 2.3.

3 Buckeyes seems like overkill but whatever.

If we finish with the #1 pick it means Sam Darnold's 2020 season was a disaster.

This is a no brainer.

You take the generational QB prospect, decline Darnold's option, and flip Darnold for whatever you can get for him.

We already have a lot of picks. There's simply no way we're paying Sam Darnold 25 million in his 5th year after three straight bottom five QB seasons while passing on Lawrence.

You think a new coach would want to hitch his wagon to a Darnold reclamation project? Neither Douglas nor the new coach have any loyalty to Darnold.

And look, I get it. It's not fair to Darnold. We put him in an impossible situation with crappy coaches, crappy receivers and crappy protection. He was set up to fail. But the reality is the Jets job is to do what is best for the Jets. They should do what is smart and best for their future. Zero chance that's sticking by Darnold out of misguided loyalty -- and considering the guy who drafted Darnold and the coach when he was drafted are both gone, it is what it is.

The real question is, if we go 1-15 and look like we just ruined Darnold's career does Lawrence refuse to come here. That's where we might be forced to trade out.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

58 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

After a miserable season where the team continues to look like complete trash on both sides of the ball Adam Gase is mercifully relieved of his duties and the Jets hire the next greatest thing to run their squad. Picking at #1 overall Trevor Lawrence is staring them in the face. 

The Panthers are picking #3 overall and make the following offer:

1.3, 2.3 & 3.3 for #1 overall.

Jets existing picks
1.1, 1.30
3.1, 3.29

If the trade is accepted, it gives the Jets 7 of the first 100 picks in the 2021 draft.

New Jets picks
1.3, 1.30
2.1, 2.3
3.1, 3.3, 3.29

Honestly, ask me in December. I need to see Sam playing with a full compliment of NFL capable WRs first. If we have the first pick, things have probably gone horribly (more) wrong this season for him.

Take Lawrence. If you're not giving up picks to move up to get him, you've got plenty to upgrade overall talent 9n the draft, plus the cap room to add some FA where necessary.

He's not just the best QB this year, he's an Andrew Luck type of prospect without the kind of questions everyone had about Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, etc.

And yeah, the Jets would (rightfully)bet laughed out ofntye league if they gave up even chart points for the right to draft Lawrence. A QB-needy team (as they would be if they're picking first) would need to get an eye-popping, record haul for Lawrence.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but I'll bet you could go back and find people saying the same about Darnold.

Darnold is not on Lawrence or Fields' level as a prospect, and its not really even close, either.  The full evaluation process will demonstrate that to be the case.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I make the trade.

The Jets suck at drafting high QB's. 

Joe Douglas does not represent the Jets' history.

If he sucks at picking QB's, the franchise will never succeed anyways.  Live or die with his pick at QB.  Kicking the can down the road is never a good option.

If he doesn't LIKE the top QB's in this class, that's another story entirely.  Only then would it make sense to trade down.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, isired said:

A QB-needy team (as they would be if they're picking first) would need to get an eye-popping, record haul for Lawrence.

This.

Not saying Lawrence is on that level at all, but how many 1st round picks would it take for the Chiefs to trade Pat Mahomes right now?  You need an astronomical package of picks if you're a QB-needy team.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

according to the value chart it's 800 points to move from 3 -> 1. 1.3 + 2.3 + 3.3 = 805.

There's always a premium for quarterbacks, though.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Draft Lawrence, start a bidding war for Sam. A team like Pittsburgh, New Orleans, maybe Tampa or Indy would give up a 1 for him

This is a super interesting tweet and something I've been thinking about. Say the Jets trade Darnold to Pittsburgh, New Orleans, or Indianapolis and get a first round pick in return. Do fans think he'd be successful? It's probably actually thread worthy. Really interesting topic.

5 minutes ago, derp said:

This is a super interesting tweet and something I've been thinking about. Say the Jets trade Darnold to Pittsburgh, New Orleans, or Indianapolis and get a first round pick in return. Do fans think he'd be successful? It's probably actually thread worthy. Really interesting topic.

not with gase as the coach.  he will destroy TL

26 minutes ago, derp said:

I'm very confident he'd be successful

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This.

Not saying Lawrence is on that level at all, but how many 1st round picks would it take for the Chiefs to trade Pat Mahomes right now?  You need an astronomical package of picks if you're a QB-needy team.

I don't think there's even a number.  If I'm KC, I wouldn't trade Mahomes for 10 1st rounders.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's in a non-Trevor Lawrence season.  The price to even begin discussing trading for TL probably starts with at least 3 1st rounders.

to move up 2 slots? doubt it.

We could trade down to 3, take Ja'Maar Chase, CB or Edge with our second first, C/CB/Edge with our two seconds. 

Then we're looking at three third round picks. lordy - what JD could do for this team with 7 picks in the top 100.

I voted for the trade but kind of misread it a bit.  I would want more than a 2nd and 3rd rounder to let them take the QB.  They'd need to cough up a 2nd rounder next year as well at least or add a young prospect of their team.

We gave up a bunch of 2nds to move from 6 to 3 they would have to give up that much to get to #2 overall.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

to move up 2 slots? doubt it.

We could trade down to 3, take Ja'Maar Chase, CB or Edge with our second first, C/CB/Edge with our two seconds. 

I do think so.  The draft point system is a guideline.  A QB who is considered as good of a prospect as TL is means the book is thrown out the window.  It will cost a fortune to move up to get him.  

• Upvote 2