well well well

Adam Gase may not be the only one on the hot seat at One Jets Drive. According to Pro Football Network Insider Tony Pauline, the New York Jets may not be totally sold on general manager Joe Douglas either. But will he be fired?

On Wednesday’s edition of NFL Draft Insiders, Pauline reported what he was hearing around the league in regard to Adam Gase and his job status. You can read more here where we go into detail on whether or not Gase will be fired if he loses to the Broncos on Thursday Night Football.

But Pauline also went into detail about Douglas and all that is surrounding him within the organization. It’s no secret that the Jets are a mess. They’ve been a mess for nearly a decade. The failed hirings of John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan have set the franchise back as far as they could go. Douglas was supposed to be the savior that fixed all of that. But Pauline told a much different story on the NFL Draft Insiders Digital Show.

Was Joe Douglas the Jets’ first choice for the GM spot?

The Jets were connected to Douglas before Maccagnan was even out the door. His connection to Gase and the hype around him as a candidate made him an easy target for the media to pick out. He did eventually get the job, but was he the Jets’ first choice all along? According to Pauline, the guy the Jets really wanted was Minnesota Vikings Assistant General Manager George Paton.

“Joe Douglas was really not the Jets’ first choice to be general manager. The guy they had their heart set on was George Paton. I’m told the Jets made him an offer, but Paton did not want to come to the Jets. Number one, he didn’t want to be saddled with Adam Gase as the head coach, and number two, he’s not a big believer in Sam Darnold.”

Paton is commonly regarded as the Vikings’ cap guru. His work under Vikings general manager Rick Speilman has drawn the eye of nearly every team around the league. He’s been one of the hottest general manager candidates in the NFL for years.

But Paton turns down offers seemingly every year. Reports have been that it would take a perfect situation to get him out of Minnesota. Well, the Jets were far from a perfect situation in the summer of 2019. So, it’s no surprise that he spurned them.

Is Joe Douglas really on the hot seat already?

Let’s make one thing clear – Joe Douglas isn’t going anywhere this year. He’s in the second year of a lucrative six-year deal. This is his first full offseason of work, and his top draft pick, Mekhi Becton, has been phenomenal.

But, his free agent moves haven’t worked out thus far and his 2020 draft class has spent nearly the entire time injured – he deserves blame for that. However, this Jets team was never going to compete in 2020. It was always about the future.

Related | Potential Jets 2021 Draft options if they stick with Sam Darnold

That’s why 2021 is going to mean so much. Douglas has loaded up on draft picks and is set to have the third-most cap space in the NFL next offseason. But Pauline explains that if he can’t turn things around quickly with those assets, he’ll be in trouble.

“I think what’s going to happen is this – if Joe Douglas can’t turn it around, then the Jets are going to be upset. Not only because Douglas couldn’t turn it around, but because they didn’t get their top guy in George Paton.”

It’s hard enough to be a general manager of an NFL team, and it seems like Douglas is expected to carry double that weight. If he can’t perform, and quickly, then he’s not living up to the expectations the Jets had for the guy they really wanted. Whether that’s fair or not doesn’t really matter.

Douglas has work to do to convince the Jets that he deserves the job he has. He’s done a fantastic job of building up the war chest, but now he has to deliver. 2021 is going to be the year that could make or break the Jets’ future.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Let’s be real. Joe Douglas signed a bunch of mid-tier free agents to one year prove it deals. They haven’t worked out, but it’s not egregious enough to get him fired. 

Tony Pauline is pretty locked into the Jets (first to report McCagnan outage) so when there is smoke there is fire. I’m thinking CJ wasn’t prepared for this level of ineptitude. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

So Tony is saying that we just flat out offered George Paton the job? Or did he turn down an interview like he has twice already in the last decade?

Silly article. The Jets never interviewed the guy... to say he turned down an offer is stupid.

Big stretch of the truth here for clicks and drama. Joe Douglas is as strong of a candidate as any team could get 

Godforbid anyone criticize the great Tony Pauline.

Article was mostly garbage.  Someone had to say it.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t throw my own scoops out there anymore for privacy purposes, but I’m jumping in here because this is just a ridiculous article.

This whole thing is 110% false.  Yes Patton was up there with Douglas. Deservedly so.  Think of it as 1A and 1B.  However, there is absolutely zero truth to Douglas being 2nd to anyone once Patton turned the job down.  There is also no truth regarding anyone in the organization souring on him either.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Douglas has a 6 year deal.  Johnsons won't pay this guy to sit on the couch for 5 years.

Let Douglas spend the cap space next offseason.  He may need to swing a trade or two to get some wide recivers or pass rushers, or corners here.  Yeah letting Robby walk was a mistake but he needs to use that cap space saved to get a star WR here and overpay if he has to.  Sure we can shore up the interior o-line but time to focus on those 3 premium positions.  Guys will be available.

It starts with a new coach.  Gase needs to be a goner.

This has a chance to be a completely different team a year from now.  With a new coach and spending to get real talent, the culture can change fast.  Time for Douglas to put up or shut up.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

So wait...the Jets fire Bowles, keep Maccagnan and he is onboard when they hire Gase.

Gase turns around and gets Maccagnan fired 5 months later.

Joe Douglas is hired in part because of an endorsement from Gase.

Gase is now about to be fired 15 months later.

The Jets never liked Joe Douglas anyway.

lolJets

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

If this is true is there any point following this team anymore - The Johnson’s are truly incompetent.

I was going to type out a "Nico out" type message, but I'm not doing that yet.  It's close though.

A 2-year break from this team might be best for my mental health.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I was going to type out a "Nico out" type message, but I'm not doing that yet.  It's close though.

A 2-year break from this team might be best for my mental health.

I’m not taking it seriously any more, I’m going to watch just to see how far this teams going to burn before Chris Johnson (Jelly Fish Johnson) grows a spine.

14 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Talk about a terrible situation. Tony P says something ridiculous and Manish says it's 100% false... does that mean... one of them hast to be correct here?

Oh no. 2020 is wild. 

The Manish tweet is about the firing of Macc (in other words, old). I thought it would be a fun time to break it out, though, given the comment about 110%

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So wait...the Jets fire Bowles, keep Maccagnan and he is onboard when they hire Gase.

Gase turns around and gets Maccagnan fired 5 months later.

Joe Douglas is hired in part because of an endorsement from Gase.

Gase is now about to be fired 15 months later.

The Jets never liked Joe Douglas anyway.

lolJets

As SAR says, following the team means believing in the owner.  

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

If this is true is there any point following this team anymore - The Johnson’s are truly incompetent.

If what is true? The only "insider" information by Pauline is that the Jets' first choice for GM was George Paton. If that is true, so what? The rest is all speculation on his part. The initial tweet by Pro Football Network that "The #Jets may not be sold on general manager Joe Douglas" was click bait and was not what Pauline went on to say. (coming from PFN, I am completely shocked by this! Not.)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m not taking it seriously any more, I’m going to watch just to see how far this teams going to burn before Chris Johnson (Jelly Fish Johnson) grows a spine.

I thought he needed to grow a pair of testicles as well.  Poor guy... no spine, no balls, and just the tiniest amount of grey matter.

• Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

If what is true? The only "insider" information by Pauline is that the Jets' first choice for GM was George Paton. If that is true, so what? The rest is all speculation on his part. The initial tweet by Pro Football Network that "The #Jets may not be sold on general manager Joe Douglas" was click bait and was not what Pauline went on to say. (coming from PFT, I am completely shocked by this! Not.)

“IF True“

hypothetical
/ˌhʌɪpəˈθɛtɪk(ə)l/
adjective
  1. based on or serving as a hypothesis.
    "let us take a hypothetical case"

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As SAR says, following the team means believing in the owner.  

Which touches on an important question.....just who is it at the Jets that wanted Paton and didn't really like Douglas?  Who was making this decision?

Are we saying that Gase convinced CJ to fire Maccagnan, to hire Douglas and now that Gase seems like a disaster CJ thinks that Douglas probably is as well because Gase wanted him?  My lord.

This type of dysfunction is truly epic.  I mean this would be an example of some of the worst strategy and management by any professional sports franchise I can think of recently.  Teams make mistakes or errors in judgement all the time about a coach, a Draft pick, or a GM, etc. but relying on the result of a previous poor decision in formulating your next one, and then piling poor decision on top of poor decision like this is just beyond belief.

If Idzik, Maccagnan, Bowles, Gase and Douglas turn out to be 5 consecutive horrible decisions then our only hope is that somehow the Johnsons finally realize that the common denominator in all of those failures is them as the owners.