well well well

It's part of what I don't understand about the NFL and business in general these days.  Why give GMs/HCs or anyone else six year deals when they really don't have much experience?  That's SIX friggin years.   Why not start offf with two?  Extending the same HCs/GMs even though they are doing just an okay job (remember the Rex/Sanchez extensions?)   What ever happened to earning promotions or extensions.   Seems like all these owners are nothing but a bunch of rich jerkoffs who have no idea what they are doin, especially the two simpletons who own our team.

• WTF? 1

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t throw my own scoops out there anymore for privacy purposes, but I’m jumping in here because this is just a ridiculous article.

This whole thing is 110% false.  Yes Patton was up there with Douglas. Deservedly so.  Think of it as 1A and 1B.  However, there is absolutely zero truth to Douglas being 2nd to anyone once Patton turned the job down.  There is also no truth regarding anyone in the organization souring on him either.

Tnx. Also, if CJ was looking for another “Cap Guy” instead of a talent guy, we should all pull the rip cord now on this cluster f**k of an organization.

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

It's part of what I don't understand about the NFL and business in general these days.  Why give GMs/HCs or anyone else six year deals when they really don't have much experience?  That's SIX friggin years.   Why not start offf with two?  Extending the same HCs/GMs even though they are doing just an okay job (remember the Rex/Sanchez extensions?)   What ever happened to earning promotions or extensions.   Seems like all these owners are nothing but a bunch of rich jerkoffs who have no idea what they are doin, especially the two simpletons who own our team.

Because that's the market rate to get a quality GM prospect.  If you don't pay it then they wait for a better offer/situation.  They also know that they may only get 1 chance so they want enough time to put their stamp on the team.  Joe D made the Jamal trade in his first real offseason.  He's least likely to be fired right now (with so much of his contract remaining) so the time to make his "invest in the future" moves is now.  

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah the vikings are looking brilliant about right now as well .

That's the part that's so ridiculous (if we even believe that the story is true).  Are the Johnson bros looking at the Vikings right now and feeling "vindicated" that Paton would've been the right guy?  Maybe if they're applying the "SAR Method" of wins and losses to the Vikings season so far.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Which touches on an important question.....just who is it at the Jets that wanted Paton and didn't really like Douglas?  Who was making this decision?

Are we saying that Gase convinced CJ to fire Maccagnan, to hire Douglas and now that Gase seems like a disaster CJ thinks that Douglas probably is as well because Gase wanted him?  My lord.

This type of dysfunction is truly epic.  I mean this would be an example of some of the worst strategy and management by any professional sports franchise I can think of recently.  Teams make mistakes or errors in judgement all the time about a coach, a Draft pick, or a GM, etc. but relying on the result of a previous poor decision in formulating your next one, and then piling poor decision on top of poor decision like this is just beyond belief.

If Idzik, Maccagnan, Bowles, Gase and Douglas turn out to be 5 consecutive horrible decisions then our only hope is that somehow the Johnsons finally realize that the common denominator in all of those failures is them as the owners.

Personally - I think the Paton rumor is irrelevant

Does it matter that the Steelers were interested in 8 thousand people before they even interviewed Mike Tomlin? I can think of so many examples of teams being interested in someone, not getting him, and then getting a guy who they had great success with. 

I agree with you that the common denominator in all of the bad decisions is the Johnsons, but I just don't think it matters whether or not Douglas was their top choice. 

Rumors are rumors, who cares?

Douglas made some royal cock ups in a short space of time.

Ryan Kalil, Breshad Perriman, Piere Desir, Rummy Morgan instead of another WR...

Robbie Anderson ?

Injuries were always going to happen, they are never, ever, an excuse for ineptitude.

It's too early on Douglas to cut bait.

Gase is an easier decision not based on wins and losses but the nature of how they are loosing.

stinky GIF by Charm Ladonna

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It was pretty easy to predict injuries to Perriman, Zuniga, Cashman and Hall. 

Please . Saying we could have predicted these injuries because they had injuries in college is non-sense . Injuries happen in a contact sport , its the luck of the draw. Speaking of which Andrew Luck was never injured in college, how did he get injured in the pros.  On the flipside I guess Frank Gore would only last 1 season in the NFL because of a college injury.  Being injury prone is flat out BS nonsense. 

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Because that's the market rate to get a quality GM prospect.  If you don't pay it then they wait for a better offer/situation.  They also know that they may only get 1 chance so they want enough time to put their stamp on the team.  Joe D made the Jamal trade in his first real offseason.  He's least likely to be fired right now (with so much of his contract remaining) so the time to make his "invest in the future" moves is now.  

I hear and appreciate your explanation.   But I still believe it's idiotic.  Just looking at the Jets, we've paid more awful HCs/GMs than I can count.   I still say make sensible deal of two or maybe three years.  Just my opinion.  

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Gase must already whispering into CJ's ear, telling him its all Joe's fault. 

lol - this actually would be kind of fun if every single year Gase just gets all of his GM's fired and brings in a new and fires him and brings in a new one and so on...

31 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Being injury prone is flat out BS nonsense. 

Maybe. But guys milking injuries while getting guaranteed millions is a thing. JD's draft analysis like Maccagnan's may not have been comprehensive enough in terms of finding guys who love football.

22 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Please . Saying we could have predicted these injuries because they had injuries in college is non-sense . Injuries happen in a contact sport , its the luck of the draw. Speaking of which Andrew Luck was never injured in college, how did he get injured in the pros.  On the flipside I guess Frank Gore would only last 1 season in the NFL because of a college injury.  Being injury prone is flat out BS nonsense. 

Nonsense?    Herndon, Austin, Hall, Cashman and Zuniga all dropped like stones in the draft because of injury concerns.  Those drops were... Nonsense?

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

That is the old Mehta tweet referring to the rumors of Macc getting fired, right before he actually did get fired. lol

In other words, totally irrelevant and completely misleading.  It's going to confuse most posters who don't read the details of Pauline's tweet and the date.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nonsense?    Herndon, Austin, Hall, Cashman and Zuniga all dropped like stones in the draft because of injury concerns.  Those drops were... Nonsense?

No - projecting they would fail and have other injuries in the NFL because of past injuries is nonsense. Everyone here sees someone get injured and automatically labels them a bust . No one ever goes back and looks at players who are productive but had injuries in college. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No - projecting they would fail and have other injuries in the NFL because of past injuries is nonsense. Everyone here sees someone get injured and automatically labels them a bust . No one ever goes back and looks at players who are productive but had injuries in college. 

So, it is nonsense, but it is why they fell in the draft?  You can't get excited that you got a "2nd round talent!" in the sixth round because they were injured and not acknowledge that the likelihood that their injuries would follow them to the NFL is why they were available. 

Jets fans don't go back and look at players who are productive but had injuries in college?  I guess that I am an older dude, but I remember Anthony Munoz' knee exam causing the Jets to pass being mentioned with missing on Marino, Sapp and Reed.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Since he was hired shortly before the 2019 season, that first year was treated as a wash for contract purposes.

Essentially he signed a 5-year deal.  They're essentially giving him 4-5 drafts (the same as Macc got) to turn this team into a perennial contender and/or Super Bowl winner.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I hear and appreciate your explanation.   But I still believe it's idiotic.  Just looking at the Jets, we've paid more awful HCs/GMs than I can count.   I still say make sensible deal of two or maybe three years.  Just my opinion.  

No GM or HC  would sign on for a 2 or 3 year deal.  There's zero job security to that.  That philosophy is an easy way to miss out on top candidates, and then end up in a perpetual cycle of suck.  We're in that cycle anyways but because of bad hires, not contract length.  You can always fire a GM or HC early if need be so its just silly to only offer up short-term contracts.

Like it or not, Douglas is about the best pedigree/caliber of GM this team is ever going to attract until the Johnson's sell the team.  Giving him the keys was the right move.  Sink or swim.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

It's gotten so bad here that to get anyone to take the jobs, they really have to sweeten the pot.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Are we blaming Douglas for the injuries to Mims, Perrine, Zuniga, Davis? Were they injury prone in college? 

I do blame him for James Morgan, who will probably offer no value, in lieu of a WR in the deepest WR draft in a long time.

Obviously it’s JDs fault that after 1 draft (and 3 games) all of his picks aren’t All Pros. 

If there is a shred of truth behind this story, God help us. 

I do agree on James Morgan though. Should have drafted a WR.

But I don’t go gaga over his free agent signings. Most of those were one or two year deals. 

• Upvote 2

• Who at Jets Drive is responsible for hiring the medical, training and strength and conditioning staff?  They appear to be the least competent people in the building.  They should be Douglas’ responsibility, and he should be graded on how that improves.  If any is under Gase, that should be fixed with the new HC.
  • It is clear to me that the players believe that they can dog it with Gase as HC and have that not effect them long-term or short-term.   The injury situation is not an accident.  It is a deeper problem.  It is medical, training, conditioning and players not wanting to play for this team and HC.  

Something has to change, and JD will not get evaluated property unless his players are on the field.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t throw my own scoops out there anymore for privacy purposes, but I’m jumping in here because this is just a ridiculous article.

This whole thing is 110% false.  Yes Patton was up there with Douglas. Deservedly so.  Think of it as 1A and 1B.  However, there is absolutely zero truth to Douglas being 2nd to anyone once Patton turned the job down.  There is also no truth regarding anyone in the organization souring on him either.

thanks for sharing.  is there any tidbits you can share without impacting your privacy concerns?