So how do you fix this hot mess?

Philc1

1. Fire Adam Gase

2. Let Joe Douglas lead the head coaching search. Give him the budget he needs to go after anyone and fill out an elite staff.

3. Draft Trevor Lawrence

4. Trade Sam Darnold to the highest bidder.

5. Focus draft and free agency on filling out key positions -- OL, WR, EDGE, CB

Honestly with a stud at QB, a good coaching hire, and hitting on a few draft picks we can turn this around quickly. It doesn't need to be a five year "rebuild." We just need to nail the moves.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

1. Fire Adam Gase

2. Let Joe Douglas lead the head coaching search. Give him the budget he needs to go after anyone and fill out an elite staff.

3. Draft Trevor Lawrence

Honestly with a stud at QB, a good coaching hire, and hitting on a few draft picks we can turn this around quickly. It doesn't need to be a five year "rebuild." We just need to nail the moves.

Honestly if we draft Lawrence I’ll not give a sh*t about filling key positions on defence for a while.

Every premium pick and signing should be talent to go around the QB. Fill the defence with trash for all I care. We can deal with that down the line.

If we draft Lawrence and then go CB and Edge with the following two picks someone will be shot.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

1. Fire Adam Gase

3. Draft Trevor Lawrence

As long as the lucky sperm brothers are in control, this will never happen. You know it and I know it. Nobody in their right mind wants anything to do with this s**thole.

13 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Draft offense with every pick the next two years, with an emphasis on offensive linemen and receivers. Forget defense. Don’t care. Just put 100% of your efforts into supporting the qb, whoever that may be. We’ll deal with defense down the road. 

So we'll have a worse defense than we do right now? Yeah, that's brilliant. 

11 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

.....to fix this, you need both culture change and a major infusuion of talent and chruning of your roster.

Douglass shouldn't be fired...he didn't hire Gase, and most of this roster, especially the crap contracts still on it, weren't his doing.  He drafted Becton....that's W, and trading Jamal Adams for the haul he got back was good....Adams is a great piece, but he isn't the guy you have to rebuild a team around....Douglass deserves a chance to mold this thing into something cohesive and of his own doing.

Hire Eric Bienemy as HC.  You may think he is just Andy Rieds clipboard holder etc....but he comes with alot of credibility, Andy Rieds endorsement, and he'll bring the culture change you need, along with a very creative playbook and history of getting alot out of the QB spot, OL and RB positions.  He is detial oriented and commands a room.  He'll bring in good people and provide legitamacy from day 1. The hope is that he will want to come here. The Jets have not had the best of luck bringing in hot coaching canidates. If they want him to come, they have to give him complete control. That means the Johnsons, JD and Bienemy all have to be on the same page. 

.....I don't know the answer to this question, but either you think Darnold is legit (I don't know the answer to this) or you don't and you have the 1/1 and take Trevor....either way, have to be 100 percent on board fro the GM, to HC to ownership with you QB.... Yup. And odds are if a new coach like Bienemy comes in who just oversaw an offense centered around Mahomes, they will lean to taking Trevor and starting from scratch instead of trying to fix the less athletic Darnold. 

IF that means you are good with Darnold, take the bounty of picks for the 1/1 and churn the hell out of that roster. 

If that means you want Trevor....put Darnold on the market....see what you might get....there'd be a market there.  build the roster.

You aren't winning year 1 of your new HC and new QB....so when you spend your FA dollars....some of that needs to go to guys who help install the new culture...get leaders that share the new HC vision and program.  Get guys that show up on time to meetings and call out dudes for not paying attention, making mistakes, etc. I agree. But I think you can't make the same mistakes as you did with Darnold and you have to A. Continue shoring up the O-line. So even if a high priced FA who becomes available, you go after him if you think he will improve the protection for Trevor and has a future with the team. B. Bring in weapons for Trevor. In other words, don't be cheap in FA just b/c you know the team won't be competitive. You need to support your QB and start building the team right away. This also includes what you do in the draft.  

The ingredients for success aren't unobtainable.....you have your GM, you need a HC, and one way or the other, you will have your QB that you are 100 percent committed to as the franchise QB.  Or at least you should...the circumstances for you to have those 3 things by the 2021 offseason are in place. 

You'll know things are going right when you see them cut loose some bad contracts and EAT some serious cap because the culture change/roster churn is THAT important. JD has already set up his contracts for a lot of flexibility in 2021. Another reason why he is a competent GM, unlike Mac and Tanny. 

It can happen....there's no reason why it shouldn't happen. Except ownership. That will be the biggest hurdle. 

This is a great post and I completely agree. I added some personal thoughts. If not for the history of ineptness from ownership, I believe there is hope for this team yet.  

The only way to truly fix this mess is by forcing the Johnson family to sell the team.  Until that happens, we will never attract competent front office people and legitimate NFL caliber coaches, and we will continue to suffer the endless parade of bums and failed rebuilds.  This franchise is truly one of the worst, if not the worst, in professional sports.

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Honestly if we draft Lawrence I’ll not give a sh*t about filling key positions on defence for a while.

Every premium pick and signing should be talent to go around the QB. Fill the defence with trash for all I care. We can deal with that down the line.

If we draft Lawrence and then go CB and Edge with the following two picks someone will be shot.

Yes, scheme defense and fill in whatever you can...but EVERY premium resource should go to offense.  If we're going to lose let's lose 42-40.

If the Johnson’s aren’t selling the only hope is to get someone big and pay him whatever he wants. If Newsome wanted to head up football operations or someone like Urban and give him total control. Meyer, jerk he may be, but he’s probably the only guy out there who could fix this that’s available.

Whats never mentioned is the business side of the house which makes a lot more decisions than we realize.The Jets do have a team President, which is the highest title the has besides owner

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Greensince69 said:

1) fire Gase now he has lost the team.  Give it to williams for the rest of the year.

2) Hire Joe Roman or Lincoln Riley. Throw a boatload of money at them.  (let JD Hire the coach)

3)Hire The best training conditioning  medical staff you can.  Find them, steal them whatever it takes

4) Keep Darnold, trade the pick for a kings ransom.  If we end up with 4 1st round and 4 2nd round picks that will fill a lot of holes. Edge CB Wr1 wr2 TE Center more ol. Can trade up and down for impact players.

5) Fill in with free agents

I wish I believed in Darnold at this point. It kills me to say but I really think he’s done minus a back up role where he could jump in mid way through the year on a good team at 31 years old and becomes a contending franchise type qb for 5-6 yrs, even get to a SB at 36 but losing, before retirement. 

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I wish I believed in Darnold at this point. It kills me to say but I really think he’s done minus a back up role where he could jump in mid way through the year on a good team at 31 years old and becomes a contending franchise type qb for 5-6 yrs, even get to a SB at 36 but losing, before retirement. 

He's the new Ryan Fitzpatrick in your kingdom?

14 hours ago, A Jet from Oz said:

1. Both Gase & Williams fired by Monday. It’s clear the team has given up on both sides of the ball - both should be held accountable. Also fire Dowell Loggains.

2. Make Brant Boyer interim head coach, seeing as his unit is the only unit that isn’t a complete sh*tshow. Jim Bob Cooter becomes OC. Andre Carter DC.

3. Instructions from Boyer to Cooter: “light up the scoreboard, put the ball in Darnold’s hands 90% of the time to give him the reps and let’s see what he’s really made of”. 

4. JD has been given the reigns, no questions asked. He’s got 4 years left in his contract and if I’m the owner, I pull back and let him do his Ficken job. Clean sweep of the entire coaching staff the Tuesday after Week 17. A few names come to mind: Greg Roman, the OC from Titans, Bills OC, Darrell Bevell. Search the College ranks too. Interview as many people as possible. 

5. FA focus:

- 2 x WR: Go get JuJu, and either Sammy Watkins, Kenny Stills, or Allen Robinson (whoever ends up the best available FA of the three).

- We need corners: Depends who comes available but we need to add 2-3 CBs. Xavier Rhodes, Jason Verrett, Quinton Dunbar, Patrick Peterson, TJ Carrie are all set to be FA next year for now.

6. With a likely top 3 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the New York Jets... trade down. We need as many picks as possible. OL, Edge, OL, Edge. Two areas we’ve been talking about for years that never seem to get solved. Also, another QB between rounds 2-5, even if Sam balls out. 

7. Enter 2021 chasing that new 7th seed wildcard spot.

I like this scenario. I have been advocating getting rid of Gase now so we can evaluate Darnold under a different OC before we decide to dump him. I still think he can be a FQB given a real OC and some talent around him. Remember, if we dump Darnold we are not only throwing away a high first round pick, but 3 second round picks as well. That's a lot to throw away with the only real data being his play under Gase.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

AJ Green is old & broken. 
Go look at the list of 2021 free agent WRs, many better & younger than AJ. 

I agree. Hes lost more than a step. However, he is still far more than anything we have run out on the field this season. The other options will mostly be re-signed and won't be available. Rumors are that AJ Green will be available. 

19 hours ago, Greensince69 said:

1) fire Gase now he has lost the team.  Give it to williams for the rest of the year.

2) Hire Joe Roman or Lincoln Riley. Throw a boatload of money at them.  (let JD Hire the coach)

3)Hire The best training conditioning  medical staff you can.  Find them, steal them whatever it takes

4) Keep Darnold, trade the pick for a kings ransom.  If we end up with 4 1st round and 4 2nd round picks that will fill a lot of holes. Edge CB Wr1 wr2 TE Center more ol. Can trade up and down for impact players.

5) Fill in with free agents

Starting to think along those lines as well. Bart Scott brought up the same scenario on his radio show with Hahn. History shows us the Jets don't have a strong draft pedigree, so the chances of them hitting on some of the draft picks are slim to none.

6 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

All we need is a miracle.  And they do exist. See '69.  We are due for one.  Oh and Trevor. 

Investing 4 picks in Darnold and then not spending up to the cap and aggressively trying to win has made the Jets radioactive to all top players and prospects 

this will take 3 years to recover from minimum  

dont waste any time dreaming about Lawrence 

* Swing for the fences at HC. Be it for an established guy like Mike Shanahan or Jim Harbaugh or a highly heralded assistant like Greg Roman. Maybe even attempt to lure a college phenom like Dabo Swinney or Lincoln Riley.

* Make it the highest priority to land a wideout like JuJu, Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay and another cornerstone OL piece like Joe Thuney prior to the draft.

* Draft Trevor Lawrence and come away with a bluechip TE like Pat Freiermuth or a solid EDGE prospect like Carlos Basham Jr. with the Seattle 1st rounder.

* Trade Sam Darnold to a team like New Orleans or Pittsburgh for a 2nd round pick. Grab a RB like Etienne or Gainwell with one of your 2nd rounders.

* Continue building the secondary, OL and amassing more talent at the skill positions afterwards.

* Officially begin the process of prospering for the next 15 years.

• Upvote 1