Willie Colon had some interesting comments- Jets need more guys who love football

Matt39

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Talent is important but the players also have to want to play. Watching the games this year it is obvious that the players don't even care about being on the field they lost each game before a single snap was fielded.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I'd fake an injury if Gase showed up at a tailgate to give pointers to fans tossing a football around

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The central part of what the Jets have been missing in FA and the draft- scouts get it right when evaluating, they've just missed on how much they love the game. My biggest worry with Becton and Mims- where's the fire? The Jets have handed out money to guys who have just given up. This latest draft...I dont get the sense JD did enough digging, there's just no excuse for every single rookie besides Perine and the Punter to be in the trainers room.

Becton was doing fine, he hurt his shoulder.

Mims, I dont know how bad he hurt his hamstring, but you can't rush that on a WR, they just re tear it and make it worse.

Yeah! you can't be great unless you LOVE football. Just ask Curtis Martin:

I can remember draft day like it was yesterday.  My family and I were sitting around and were watching the draft.  The phone rings and it’s Bill Parcells.  I answer the phone and say “Hello,” and Parcells says, “Curtis, we want to know if you’re interested in being a New England Patriot?”  I said, “Yes, yes, sir.”  And we hang up the phone.  As soon as we hang up the phone I turn around to everyone, and I said, “Oh my God, I do not want to play football. I don’t want to play football.  I don’t even know that I like football enough to try to make a career out of it.” 

https://siamohajer.com/the-football-legend-who-didnt-like-football/

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The central part of what the Jets have been missing in FA and the draft- scouts get it right when evaluating, they've just missed on how much they love the game. My biggest worry with Becton and Mims- where's the fire? The Jets have handed out money to guys who have just given up. This latest draft...I dont get the sense JD did enough digging, there's just no excuse for every single rookie besides Perine and the Punter to be in the trainers room.

It has been mentioned many times how much Becton loves the game. There is a difference between injury and being banged up. Mims and Becton are injured. Too small a time to know if they will stay injury prone at this point,

I dont think worth ethic or dedication was one of Martin's weaknesses. There's a gap in the Jets draft process and it's directly correlated to this once the player gets paid. 

Not at all. He had unbelievable work ethic. Never ever wanted out of a game. I was saying he just didn’t love or like the game for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

40 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

“Moar guys who love football.”

- Eric Mangini

He's right, but it’s not the first time this problem has been evident.

I was just ready to post this! Mangini's characteristics of a good football player: love football, captain of your college team, play for the name on the helmet, not the name on the back of the jersey, studious and coachable.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

One thing I would say is that the Jets lack "leaders". Who would we really consider guys that will step up, show the others how it is done, and set example?

This is why I have no problem with Frank Gore on the Jets. He has that attitude, he has that mentality. Don't mistake that for me thinking he needs the bulk of carries either. But those guys can be big on how this locker room moves forward.

Well, we just traded our best leader to Tampa.  By most accounts McClendon was a great locker room guy.  I agree with you that it probably would be Gore on offense and a guy like Williamson on the defense.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It’s another space where they tried shoe-horning Darnold into the leadership role and he’s been a mess.

Leaders have to do it naturally.  You can't just declare yourself a leader (like a certain former Jet whom I choose not to name) or be declared the leader.  If Darnold plays well, he probably becomes the leader of the offense, but its hard to see him as a true team leader while he is struggling.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jets need more players that are talented.  All this love of the game stuff is BS IMO.   The Jets need talent and a lot of it.   It’s not a mystery.  

Yep.  Two of the greatest and longest tenured players in Jets history weren't exactly passionate about playing football (Curtis Martin, D'Brickashaw Ferguson).  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I think every snap a rookie takes is meaningful.   These guys, specifically Becton, Mims and Perine need to start seeing stuff on an NFL level.   Becton needs to see speed rushers, bull rushers, stunts etc...  Mims needs to just get on the field, but also he needs to start learning how to beat press man and how to set up NFL corners when running routes.   Perine needs to see blitzes and how to recognize where the pass rush is coming from.  Any reps they take this year is just more experience they have so that next year isn’t another “rookie” season.   

Let me rephrase what I said because it didnt come out right, I think nothing beats live bullets but not if you're not ready sometimes it has an adverse effect.  Mims, hasnt practiced at all, are live bullets what he needs right now?  I dont think so.  If he gets a half a season, that's good enough.   Becton is different because he was essentially a top 10 plug and play pick but the rest of the draft, is it really beneficial to have them playing in this mess?  Not sure, to be honest.  Perine is currently being asked to do things he cant do rather than playing to his strengths, is that good experience?  I guess because he's getting a feel for the speed/strength of the NFL but I could also seeing it have a negative effect from a mental perspective which IMO is the biggest factor at that level.  All these dudes are athletes, all these dudes can play, it's who has the mental make up.  Thats why sometimes the uber talented weak minded fizz out and the less talented hardworking strong minded succeed.

23 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

One thing I would say is that the Jets lack "leaders". Who would we really consider guys that will step up, show the others how it is done, and set example?

This is why I have no problem with Frank Gore on the Jets. He has that attitude, he has that mentality. Don't mistake that for me thinking he needs the bulk of carries either. But those guys can be big on how this locker room moves forward.

Two points. 1) seems JD is drafting guys who profile as leaders....3-4 of his drafts picks were college captains.  2) the most important leader on any team is the HC. Whether you are a rookie or a seasoned vet, guys look to the HC for answers. They have to have faith that he will have a plan for them to be successful. Gase is absolutely not that guy. He is lost. If you heard him after the game Sunday on SNY, you would have cringed. I worked with, and am still good friends with a guy who was a two time captain at ND, and played in the NFL. He would tell us that Lou Holtz had a very fond saying...."all men want to be led. Just don't lead them off the side of a cliff." Unfortunately, Gase is taking this franchise over the side of the Grand Canyon.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Two points. 1) seems JD is drafting guys who profile as leaders....3-4 of his drafts picks were college captains.  2) the most important leader on any team is the HC. Whether you are a rookie or a seasoned vet, guys look to the HC for answers. They have to have faith that he will have a plan for them to be successful. Gase is absolutely not that guy. He is lost. If you heard him after the game Sunday on SNY, you would have cringed. I worked with, and am still good friends with a guy who was a two time captain at ND, and played in the NFL. He would tell us that Lou Holtz had a very fond saying...."all men want to be led. Just don't lead them off the side of a cliff." Unfortunately, Gase is taking this franchise over the side of the Grand Canyon.

Great points. Was not aware of the JD draft picks this year being captains.

I believe that JD values character quite a bit. 

Becton looks like he loves football. Not sure why Colon pointed him out. Most guys on the Jets look like they love football. The issue is they are not good at football relative to the rest of the league. Have this Jets team play Kent State and you’ll see the passion come out. Hard to show passion when you’re getting your ass handed to you. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jets need more players that are talented.  All this love of the game stuff is BS IMO.   The Jets need talent and a lot of it.   It’s not a mystery.  

Talent can only take someone so far. Desire is also needed. Love of the game has always been a requirement for Belichick. Might want to listen.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I think every snap a rookie takes is meaningful.   These guys, specifically Becton, Mims and Perine need to start seeing stuff on an NFL level.   Becton needs to see speed rushers, bull rushers, stunts etc...  Mims needs to just get on the field, but also he needs to start learning how to beat press man and how to set up NFL corners when running routes.   Perine needs to see blitzes and how to recognize where the pass rush is coming from.  Any reps they take this year is just more experience they have so that next year isn’t another “rookie” season.   

I think we'll see most of the rookies in the coming weeks.  Clark is finally getting healthy and he'll probably be given a chance.  Mims sounds close to returning so he'll definitely be out there.  Once hall is eligible to come back we can almost bet he'll play with the way we go through corners. 

If rumors end up being true about trades davis may be playing a much larger role eventually as well.  

• Upvote 1

It’s not love of football. The talent level isn’t there. And guys have checked out mentally. I’m sure they are thinking what’s the point. 
There has been a lot of talk about bringing in a college coach. I think Jets need a HC with pro experience. There will be a lot of talent coming next year but Jets need to make a clear statement about how to win in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Young Jetty said:

We also need a coach that loves football

At this point I'd take a HC who can describe the shape of a football

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Mangini got such a raw deal. We probably get those two rings in 09 and 10 if Mangini was allowed to see his vision through.

Not sure about that but I will say for his brief time here, we didn't feel like one of the dumbest teams in the league.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I dont think worth ethic or dedication was one of Martin's weaknesses. There's a gap in the Jets draft process and it's directly correlated to this once the player gets paid. 

They keep on paying the wrong guys.  Free agency + the draft.  The Wilkerson over Snacks payday was criminal.  Paying Sanchez nonsensical.  Tru Johnson + Le'Veon Bell more signing players to sign players.  Zero long-term thinking.  The HCs and the GMs  have one thing in common:  the owners.  They pick the wrong leaders and then the leaders choose the wrong players.

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Wasn't able to find any data, but I'm extremely curious at games lost to injury for the entire NFL this year vs. previous years.  I did come across an interesting piece of information:

"One study identified a sudden increase in Achilles’ injuries immediately after the 2011 NFL lockout ended and training camp began. There were 12 Achilles’ tendon ruptures in the first 29 days after the lockout versus 16 in the previous two years combined."

I suspect this year we're going to see more overall due to conditioning issues.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

As for the rookies not playing, it sucks but I'm not overly concerned, this team is god awful I'm not sure there are even meaningful snaps to have.  If these guys just get a few games under their belt before the season ends, I think that's just fine.  Not ideal but nothing was coming from this season other then "experience" and I'm not quite sure this "experience" would even be beneficial.  Besides, it's not like Gase would play them...

I also think that with the season over before September, there was no need to get these guys out there too soon.  Hard to argue taking the cautious approach when winning no longer matters.

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

“Moar guys who love football.”

- Eric Mangini

He's right, but it’s not the first time this problem has been evident.

Joke all you want but this team is one mother ****er who hunts wild boar with a knife away from a dynasty.

19 hours ago, varjet said:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/front-office-roster/

I answered my own question.  Athletic training reports separately from Gase.  HymIe most likely is in charge of all of those interns. 

That is the problem. 

I'm probably the only guy who actually went over everything in that link and wow man just wow!

First of all we have 18 vice presidents? Secondly I've never seen more "Made Up" titles as in.. director of, senior advisor, assistant, executive Etc.

What a bunch of corporate money wasting blowing BS!

Thirdly our chaplain is Dave Szott!? Isn't he the guy that we signed to a big free-agent contract and he quit during training camp?

Lastly mr. David Clowney, yes that David Clowney, is listed as a coaching fellow. I actually had to look that up! So he's basically here and getting paid by the team to help athletes who were whisked through school because of their talents actually adjust to the real world?

So basically they know how to snort cocaine and get BJ's and make it rain but they don't know how to buy a can opener to open a can of SpaghettiOs. That's his job lol!

I just can't...

Edit:  Funny after jogging my memory, I seem to recall a player we drafted about a decade ago who the team thought was sickly. He lost like 60 pounds in 4 months and they found out the guy didn't even know how to cook a grilled cheese sandwich. Never shopped for food in his life, and didn't know where McDonald's was LMFAO!!

So David Clowney got himself a jobby job!

Unbelievable.

Seven week hamstring pull .. lmao ... sounds more like torn hamstrings... which can become a chronic problem because of scarring.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app