Movies you've walked out on

jgb

There's a movie that I would've walked out of if I could've, but it was a rental. 'The Beach' with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tilda Swinton. I was clawing out my eyeballs and the old man was playing keep-away with the remote. I started screaming half way through, and screamed through the second half, so bad was the agony. I kicked the cover across the floor when it was over and yelled, "Stay dead!" It was possibly better than the Chinese Water Torture of a film I recall it to be, but I was in a really foul mood before it started s-o-o-o . . . 

Last week I put on "Motherless Brooklyn". A great cast; imagine Alec Baldwin should have gotten a Supporting Actor nomination for playing a  ruthless Robert Moses figure. Movie is clouded by the fact an FDNY firefighter Michael Davidson was killed in a fire on set. Also features Willem Dafoe, Bruce Willis, Bobby Canavale, Michael K. Williams. But Edward Norton in the lead is an idiot savant who , for reasons that cannot be explained , has Tourette's. Comes a point when the CONSTANT turning his head and saying some nonsense gets distracting to the point it's unwatchable. They could have made him an Aspergers or somewhat autistic or damn near anything, instead they make the character distracting to the point of intolerable. 

Last week I put on "Motherless Brooklyn". A great cast; imagine Alec Baldwin should have gotten a Supporting Actor nomination for playing a  ruthless Robert Moses figure. Movie is clouded by the fact an FDNY firefighter Michael Davidson was killed in a fire on set. Also features Willem Dafoe, Bruce Willis, Bobby Canavale, Michael K. Williams. But Edward Norton in the lead is an idiot savant who , for reasons that cannot be explained , has Tourette's. Comes a point when the CONSTANT turning his head and saying some nonsense gets distracting to the point it's unwatchable. They could have made him an Aspergers or somewhat autistic or damn near anything, instead they make the character distracting to the point of intolerable. 
My wife and I said the same thing when we saw it. It was a really good movie, and that aspect added nothing to it. It would have been better without it.
  • Upvote 1

Just now, munchmemory said:

What?  That's good flick.  

I'll have to take your word for it.  Only saw the first 10 minutes or so.

Thought I must be crazy but I wanted to walk out and looked at the two people I was with and didn't have to say a word.  They just nodded and we all got up and left.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'll have to take your word for it.  Only saw the first 10 minutes or so.

Thought I must be crazy but I wanted to walk out and looked at the two people I was with and didn't have to say a word.  They just nodded and we all got up and left.

It's from an Elmore Leonard novel.  Kinda in the Tarantino mold but not as edgy or good as Pulp Fiction.  Not a great film, but main concept of a series of mob folk who want to produce movies is funny.   Travolta is not "Vincent" from Pulp Fiction, but does a pretty good job in Get Shorty.

Rating:  7/10 whereas I think Pulp is 11/10.

• Upvote 1

Fantastic Beasts, Crimes of Grindlewald.

I hate movies that don't stand on their own.  Never saw the first one in the series and I had no idea what was going on in this movie.  Didn't walk out, went over Thansgiving weekend a couyple of years ago with the family. 

I also hate movies with non-sensical plots, bad acting, and uninteresting characters.  Awful movie.

• Upvote 2

On 10/20/2020 at 9:00 PM, jgb said:

-Erin Brokovich

-Truman Show (almost but I was trying to score)

-Angel Eyes

-Bram Stoker's Dracula

-Man of the House starring unfunny Chevy Chase, Farah Fawcett and one of those "Home Improvement" twerps.

I hope you got lucky at the Truman Show!!!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

If walking out of the family room on Christmas Eve and going into the garage to get the bong out doesn't scream worst movie of 2020, then nothing does.  Just f-cking horrible.  2 hrs feels like 10.  Midnight Sky.  Christmas Eve no less.

p.s.  I predicted every single event and result in this movie.  That's how bad it is. Clooney isn't good enough to salvage this drek.  But he got a big paycheck.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:33 AM, JiF said:

I've never walked out on a movie but I did come really close with The Last Jedi but I was laughing so hard that I kind of enjoyed watching the train wreck so I stayed.

I went opening night, 10pm show with my then 9 year old. I had a couple of adult beverages and proceeded to mercilessly heckle that sh*t from start to finish...

By 30 minutes in  I had a fan club.. 

By the end of the movie everyone there was on my side (It was opening night, late, all old school die hard SW nerds that despised the movie.

The parking lot and lobby were like a wake after the movie. My son took his first step into a larger world.....

• Upvote 2

Me and a couple of buddies walked out of Ad Astra. What boring trash.  

As a kid, I was visiting my dork relatives on LI and they all went to see rerelease of Annie. I walked out and wound up watching Manhunter (Michael Manns take on Red Dragon). Great movie. My aunt was Pissssed. My Dad laughed when he heard. ? 

• Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, peebag said:

Oh, and I fell asleep during Godfather Pt 3- I cant believe that got nominated for a best picture Oscar 

I didn't fall asleep.  I laughed at the absurdity of the script throughout.  Also cursed Coppola a lot for making the movie.  Must have needed to pay off a loan or wanted another Summer home.   This flick is a gigantic piece of dog crap, with some of the most ridiculous choices for actors I can recall.   

• Upvote 2