Possible scenario: Draft Penei Sewell and move Becton to RT

If you draft Sewell, you definitely have to move Becton to RT. Becton looks to be an above average to good pass blocker while being an elite run blocker. Sewell has elite pass blocking potential, combine with the ability to be a good run blocker. I think Sewell is on par with having a similar grade as Lawerance. I have doubts that he's 330 lbs. He seems way smaller then that.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

We will win games this year folks, the #1 pick will go to Washington, they are worst than us. 

We need to overhaul the OL and getting Sewell should be our top priority.  We won't develop any QB with our trash OL.  Therefore, playing Becton at RT (played 10 games in college) and drafting Sewell will anchor our line for years to come.   

Again, I am skeptic about Lawrence and Washington will be there before us, mark it! 

Go fly a kite ? 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

As enticing as this is, I think I'd prefer an Edge Rusher or if people think Chase has the ability to be a Julio-esc player I'd consider him. Edoga doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzziest but he's been pretty solid all year.

Never defence. Never again. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

We will win games this year folks, the #1 pick will go to Washington, they are worst than us. 

We need to overhaul the OL and getting Sewell should be our top priority.  We won't develop any QB with our trash OL.  Therefore, playing Becton at RT (played 10 games in college) and drafting Sewell will anchor our line for years to come.   

Again, I am skeptic about Lawrence and Washington will be there before us, mark it! 

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-oregon-s-penei-sewell-nfl-s-next-great-left-tackle

I spent a lot of time studying former Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert leading up to the 2020 NFL Draft. While poring over Herbert's tape, I couldn't help but be impressed by his left tackle, Penei Sewell. We call that scan-scouting. Sometimes you notice those flashes of greatness from others while studying a certain prospect, but once you really focus on the player who flashed -- on every single play -- the shine wears off. That wasn't the case with Sewell. After putting him under the microscope, I came away even more impressed! Here are my notes from my initial scouting report on the Oregon junior.

Height, weight: 6-foot-6, 330 pounds (school measurements).

Game tape watched: Auburn (Aug. 31, 2019), Stanford (Sept. 21, 2019), USC (Nov. 2, 2019).

What I liked: Sewell has ideal size, quickness and power for the position. In the passing game, he's quick out of his stance and does a nice job of staying square against his opponent. He's a knee-bender and rarely lunges or loses his balance. He has extremely strong hands to lock on and steer edge rushers. He's very aware versus games/stunts and if he's free, he looks for work (nasty knockdowns).

In the run game, Sewell consistently gets underneath defenders, uproots and moves them off the line of scrimmage. He excels when he's pulling or working up to the second level, and he gets there in a hurry. The 2019 Outland Trophy winner (best interior lineman) also collects plenty of knockdowns against second- and third-level defenders. He's effective on combo blocks, too, working with the guard. I love his overall demeanor and toughness.

Where he needs to improve: There aren't many flaws in Sewell's game. He had a very good battle against the talented Auburn defensive line in last year's season opener, winning the majority of his one-on-one matchups. However, Derrick Brown -- the seventh overall pick in this year's draft -- did beat him a couple of times. On those plays, Sewell's hands were too wide and Brown was able to get control of Sewell's chest to knock him back. Outside of those couple plays, though, his hand placement was excellent. That's about all I can criticize in his play. He was solid in every other area of importance at the position.

Ok I’ll play. Which games are we winning? 

Selecting another dominating LT would be fine, however LT and RT are not really our problem at the moment... While I wouldn't have a problem with both of them and try and trade Font, I'd be more inclined to trade down and select the 2 best Guards in next years draft, or a Center-Guard, and move McGovern to guard, because Van Rotten and Lewis are not the answers.

9 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'm pretty sure Becton and Sewell might care.

Top 10 2020 LT Salaries:

Indy - Anthony Castonzo - $17mil

KC - Eric Fisher - ~$15mil

GB - David Bakhtiari $14.7mil

TB - Donovan Smith - $14.5mil

Houston - Laremy Tunsil - $14mil

CAR - Russell Okung - $13mil

BAL - Ronnie Stanley - $12.8mil

SEA - Duane Brown - $12.5mil

SF - Trent Williams - $12.5mil

ATL - Jake Matthews - $10.7mil

Top 10 2020 RT Salaries:

KC - Mitchell Schwartz - $10.8mil

PHI - Lane Johnson - $10.2mil

WSH - Morgan Moses - $8.6mil

CHI - Bobby Massie - $8.3mil

CLE - Jack Conklin - $8mil

CIN - Bobby Hart - $6.8mil

LA - Rob Havenstein - $6.2mil

DET - Halapoulivaati Vaitai - $5.4mil

SF - Mike McGlinchey - $5mil

MIA - Jesse Davis - $4.8mil

Now, I only skimmed these numbers on spotrac, and haven't confirmed whether these numbers accurately represent each starting position, as I only went by the highest paid player on each team for either position, and that, in itself, is flawed. For example, they had Andrew Thomas as a RT, rather than LT, for NYG, Fant would be our highest paid LT, while Van Roten would be our highest paid RT, etc.

But even despite those inconsistencies, you can see a clear pattern. Left tackles just get paid more. So, assuming Becton continues on his trend of franchise LT worthy play, and Sewell lives up to his assumed draft slot, then either you have to overpay one of them to play RT, or risk losing him if he decides he's worth more than RT money, and wants to go play LT on another team and be paid accordingly. In that case, of course, we could always flip him for draft picks/players, but I'd much rather prefer using the initial draft slot to find a WR, while using a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th on a RT.

Your numbers are wayyyyyy off. 

1. Laremy Tunsil (LT) - $22 million Avg/Yr; $50 million guaranteed 
  2. Lane Johnson (RT) - $18 million Avg/Yr; $55.845 million guaranteed 
  3. Taylor Lewan (LT) - $16.5 million Avg/Yr; $50 million guaranteed
  4. Trent Brown (RT) - $16.5 million Avg/Yr; $36.25 million guaranteed 
  5. Anthony Castanzo (LT) - $16.5 million Avg/Yr; $17 million guaranteed 

As far as preparing for second contracts: it’s not anything anyone needs to worry about when drafting him. Tunsil spent his first season at LG and he has the highest average salary per year. Johnson is a RT and has the highest guarantees of any offensive lineman in the NFL (the number that truly matters). 

Becton will have 4 years left of team control, Sewell would have 5 years. This is what we call a “First World Problem.” 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I apologize...maybe I'm missing something.

The Jets are looking at drafting in the top 5

IF we can't get Lawrence or fields, you want to draft a potential franchise LT and move him to.....guard?

Why would we not just take one of the top guards (Trey Smith, Deonte Brown, Wyatt Davis, Creed Humphrey) with either or low 1 or our high 2?  

Might it not be better to get, say a true number 1 receiver or edge rusher with a 5?

exactly how I feel - would love to see the best receiver on our team and then go OT if we aren't at #1. Still need a pass rusher as well.

5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

As enticing as this is, I think I'd prefer an Edge Rusher or if people think Chase has the ability to be a Julio-esc player I'd consider him. Edoga doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzziest but he's been pretty solid all year.

Unfortunately, Chase Young won't be there as a consolation prize. Gregory Rousseau is more of an interior pass rusher and was nothing more then average pass rushing from the edge.

Basham seems too big however I see some sites labeling him as a SDE or 3-4 DE.

14 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-oregon-s-penei-sewell-nfl-s-next-great-left-tackle

I spent a lot of time studying former Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert leading up to the 2020 NFL Draft. While poring over Herbert's tape, I couldn't help but be impressed by his left tackle, Penei Sewell. We call that scan-scouting. Sometimes you notice those flashes of greatness from others while studying a certain prospect, but once you really focus on the player who flashed -- on every single play -- the shine wears off. That wasn't the case with Sewell. After putting him under the microscope, I came away even more impressed! Here are my notes from my initial scouting report on the Oregon junior.

Height, weight: 6-foot-6, 330 pounds (school measurements).

Game tape watched: Auburn (Aug. 31, 2019), Stanford (Sept. 21, 2019), USC (Nov. 2, 2019).

What I liked: Sewell has ideal size, quickness and power for the position. In the passing game, he's quick out of his stance and does a nice job of staying square against his opponent. He's a knee-bender and rarely lunges or loses his balance. He has extremely strong hands to lock on and steer edge rushers. He's very aware versus games/stunts and if he's free, he looks for work (nasty knockdowns).

In the run game, Sewell consistently gets underneath defenders, uproots and moves them off the line of scrimmage. He excels when he's pulling or working up to the second level, and he gets there in a hurry. The 2019 Outland Trophy winner (best interior lineman) also collects plenty of knockdowns against second- and third-level defenders. He's effective on combo blocks, too, working with the guard. I love his overall demeanor and toughness.

Where he needs to improve: There aren't many flaws in Sewell's game. He had a very good battle against the talented Auburn defensive line in last year's season opener, winning the majority of his one-on-one matchups. However, Derrick Brown -- the seventh overall pick in this year's draft -- did beat him a couple of times. On those plays, Sewell's hands were too wide and Brown was able to get control of Sewell's chest to knock him back. Outside of those couple plays, though, his hand placement was excellent. That's about all I can criticize in his play. He was solid in every other area of importance at the position.

Could we just draft players to play the position that is natural for them? Stop asking rooks to play other spots.

14 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

We are only projected at #1, but we will win games this year.  If you are a loyal Jets fan, the last thing we want is to be an 0-16 team, ever! 

I not only want to be 0-16, I want to be historically bad.  The kind of team people talk about for decades, like the '76 Buccaneers.  If you're going to be bad, might as well be the best at it.  It'll just make it that much sweeter when we finally win a title.  

Jets fans' unwillingness to stomach a terrible season in order to boost the long-term future of the franchise is a big reason this team has been so bad for so long.  Constantly shooting for 6-10 is no-mans land. 

• Post of the Week 2

14 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

i want to go 0-16 and i want to do it in the greatest way the world has ever known and leave no doubt about the suckage

Exactly.  F**k these soft wusses who think going 2-14 or 3-13 is somehow better than going 0-16.  F**k that. 

I want people to Remember the Titans and Remember the 2020 Jets.  I want a movie made about this team some day.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Darnold is our franchise QB who has been dealt a crappy coach, OL, broke dick rookies, no running game, just crap! 

Darnold is not a franchise QB and never will be.  Even if he WAS any good, he's missed 8 games in his first 3 years.  How can you trust that a guy like that will stay healthy when it matters most?

Your opinions on the team are as soft as Darnold's body and immune system.  You should expect better out of the QB position.  Kind of surprising considering I assume you have a military background.  I would have thought expecting excellence would be the default there.

Every year is a hype with QBs. We need to build the trenches and provide our QB with quality weapons. Also, why you keep mentioning #5?  Building our line with super studs should be the upmost priority, Protect the QB, provide air and ground attack, just basics...we are not even close.  We have a young QB that needs support! 

Funny, because Darnold's entire draft profile was built off one Rose Bowl performance, yet you still believe in him after 30 NFL games where he has been the league's worst QB, statistically. 

Talk about hype! 

13 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

delayed, sustained gratification >>>>>> instant, fleeting gratification

Even for those who still believe in Darnold, there's no reasonable argument to be made for picking 4th over picking 1st.  At the least, you could trade down for an enormous package of picks to build around Darnold. 

The only way Darnold could make losing the # 1 pick worth it is if he absolutely balls out the remainder of the season and the Jets end up picking more like....12th.  And we know that isn't happening.

There's absolutely no downside to picking 1st.  

• Sympathy 1

Please specify what the hell the Jets done for Darnold?  I will gladly wait for the answers. 

Picked him 3rd overall and made him rich in the process?  

And....why should anyone care?  He's not a child.  He's a pro athlete who doesn't give a f**k about you.

Assuming Becton's early performance is not an aberration you just leave him at LT and move on. Hopefully injuries won't be an ongoing issue. He is near the top of the NFL at LT and he hasn't really even learned the position. He has All Pro potential. Definitely draft another top tackle though and a center.

Washington will win some games. I hope we don't lose out, but the Vikings are the team right now I see as most likely to go 1-15.

12 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Here we go again. Lets ignore the wr’s even though it’s by far the worst position group on the team and killing Sam. We need the best receiver in the draft this year - an elite playmaker to pair with Mims. It’s why he forces the ball into triple coverage because no one is OPEN. It’s why he holds the ball too long sometimes. Our OLine has been much better this year and we have some young guys that won’t see the field this year. Late first round is fine for best available OL as we no longer need a left tackle. Part of our issue this year is we didn’t draft or sign enough receivers.

The offense needs everything.

Not some things.  Everything.  My mentality is build through the trenches, a good o line makes a decent running back look good.

Good wr make the safeties play back, which helps as well.   If the took a WR, I would not complain, the tema needs both.  With 

• Upvote 1

Not a bad thought, and a lot depends on what we can do in FA but I think we help the team more by drafting Chase at WR and then grabbing the best available OL with the 2nd 1st rounder, even bumping it up a little if somehow Wyatt Davis slips into the 20s.  Now we do need to address RT.  But I think you can get someone in rounds 2-3 that could compete assuming we don't have someone on our roster we feel is ready then.  You put Chase and Davis on this offense and you have MASSIVELY upgraded two positions.  If you can get a Thuney or Scherff in FA than obviously the need for Davis is diminished and you can go after the RT at that spot.

In either scenario, add in a quality coaching staff and we might finally have a workable OL.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Your numbers are wayyyyyy off. 

1. Laremy Tunsil (LT) - $22 million Avg/Yr; $50 million guaranteed 
  2. Lane Johnson (RT) - $18 million Avg/Yr; $55.845 million guaranteed 
  3. Taylor Lewan (LT) - $16.5 million Avg/Yr; $50 million guaranteed
  4. Trent Brown (RT) - $16.5 million Avg/Yr; $36.25 million guaranteed 
  5. Anthony Castanzo (LT) - $16.5 million Avg/Yr; $17 million guaranteed 

As far as preparing for second contracts: it’s not anything anyone needs to worry about when drafting him. Tunsil spent his first season at LG and he has the highest average salary per year. Johnson is a RT and has the highest guarantees of any offensive lineman in the NFL (the number that truly matters). 

Becton will have 4 years left of team control, Sewell would have 5 years. This is what we call a “First World Problem.” 

I only went by want spotrac had as the current 2020 cap hit, and didn't think about the fluctuating numbers between years which could misrepresent the overall numbers. Thanks for correcting me. I should've put more time into the research. I ain't no Sperm or 80, lol.

So, it is routine for RT's to get paid as much as LT's? That's actually surprising to me. I wouldn't have expected that.

Well, if that is a realistic option, and it won't overload our cap when it comes time to hand out 2nd contracts to them, then I'm all for improving the offensive line.

If we don’t get the #1 pick, I don’t mind getting Sowell. But put him at RT. Cameron Clark at RG and sign Thuney to play LG. Lewis, Edoga and Van Rotten are the backups. Use a mid rounder on a center to compete against McGovern. Boom OL is done.

We need to grab one of these starting WRs that should be available during FA and then draft a RB, TE on day 2.

Use whatever drsft capital is left on the defense. We can worry about adding high end talent to the D in 2022.

This is my ideal non Lawrence scenario.

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

How do you quote box like that?

In a Browser, find the Share Post icon on the right side 

in between (report post) and *the number* (your post, the one I'm quoting is number # 94 in the thread) 

if you paste that link in the interface does the rest  

• Upvote 2

@football guy

Okay, here are full cap numbers for every LT and RT, courtesy of overthecap, and rather than input the data myself, I'll just link to the pages

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

https://overthecap.com/position/right-tackle/

Lane Johnson and Trent Brown are the only outliers being paid > $14mil/year average, with Jack Conklin being paid exactly $14mil/year average. On the other hand, there are 8 LTs being paid > $14mil/year. So, there still is a difference. Furthermore, between those top 10 LT salaries (by amount/year) there is $344mil in total guarantees, versus only $263.9mil in total guarantees for the top 10 RT salaries.

Now, whether this is by design of teams not valuing RTs as much as LTs, or simply that most guys playing RT just aren't worth being paid more, and if they were than they would be, I can't say for sure.

Another thing to note is that while Lane Johnson, Trent Brown, and Jack Conklin are being paid like top LTs to play RT, neither team is currently paying a LT top money. The Eagles are paying Jason Peters $4mil/year (this may be complicated, though, because I know he was initially signed to play guard, but had to be move to LT, and he wanted a raise to do so, and I'm not sure if he got it), the Raiders are paying Kolton Miller $3.3mil/year, and the Browns are paying Jedrick Mils ~$5mil/year. Again, whether this is deliberate to avoid putting too much money into two positions on the line, or simply a representation of the talent they were able to acquire, I can't say for certain.

In fact, the Lions are the only team to be paying both a top-10 paid LT and Top-10 paid RT; Taylor Decker at ~$15mil/year and Halapoulivaati Vaitai at $9mil/year, respectively. Again, design or coincidence? I could look further and tally up the total amount of money each team is putting into both starting positions, but that's a bit too tedious right now.

Sure, trying to pay 2 top tackles could be called a "good" problem to have, but if Joe Douglas were to draft Sewell, I would want it to be with the expectation that both Sewell and Becton will play as top-10 tackles for us for a long time, and that he has no problem paying them both to reflect that, even if it means having the most expensive tackle duo in the NFL. I would hate to draft yet another player high, only to have to watch them walk, or be traded, because their asking price is too prohibitive.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I not only want to be 0-16, I want to be historically bad.  The kind of team people talk about for decades, like the '76 Buccaneers.  If you're going to be bad, might as well be the best at it.  It'll just make it that much sweeter when we finally win a title.  

Season 1 Flirting GIF by Now Apocalypse

• Haha 1