NBC's Cris Collingsworth's plan to save the Jets matches top head coach candidate with rookie QB

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Maybe so. But the SF situation wasnt as you painted it... 

Trent Baalke had a hissy fit after Harbaugh wanted more say so with personel, and fired him - Harbaugh was 44-19.

Trent Baalke then promoted Jim Tomsula - Tomsula was 5-11. 

Trent Baalke then went and hired Chip Kelly - Kelly was 2-14. 

Trent Balke subsequently got fired.

Harbaugh was not the problem....Ever. 

It's a complete myth. The man is well respected amongst every organization he has worked with, including the 49ers, and he has been a winner at every stop of the way with his head coaching career. 

The definition of a proven and stable commodity. 

How successful has Harbaugh been in Michigan? 

He would get an NFL job off of SF, not Michigan.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

[If we get Trevor Lawrence the options below become a lot more feasible]

I'd love for us to at least try to convince Urban Meyer to come here.  I realize the odds are very, very slim (probably even WITH Trevor) but I'd absolutely make that call.

I'd also be up for trying to throw a ridiculous amount of money at Matt Campbelll to come here.  He might even be my #1 choice right now because Urban tends to have a short shelf life with teams.  Campbell is only 40 years old and could be the kind of guy who can coach a team for 20 years.  Talk about an ideal scenario!

Jim Harbaugh would be a good hire too.  He's obviously had success in the NFL and is a complete no-nonsense type guy.  This team needs a major kick-in-the-arse.

Right now these are my top 3.  I have a few lesser candidates in mind who aren't great but they could at least stabilize the franchise:

-Jim Caldwell

-Doug Marrone (should he become available) 

-I know people will HATE this one (and I wouldn't thrilled about it either) but even a guy like Jason Garrett would be a massive improvement over Gase.  In retrospect, I bet Dallas would prefer him over Mike McCarthy.  

Campbell seems to be the hot name in college right now. I’d be willing to take a chance on him. Urban Meyer I’d doubt would come here but sure he’s a very good coach and would hire him in a heartbeat. Harbough like I said I doubt he’s coming he wants full control. 

as far as Marrone, Caldwell and Garret? You gotta be kidding me right? Definitely give me the unknown of Bieniemy over those 3 donuts 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Maybe so. But the SF situation wasnt as you painted it... 

Trent Baalke had a hissy fit after Harbaugh wanted more say so with personel, and fired him - Harbaugh was 44-19.

Trent Baalke then promoted Jim Tomsula - Tomsula was 5-11. 

Trent Baalke then went and hired Chip Kelly - Kelly was 2-14. 

Trent Balke subsequently got fired.

Harbaugh was not the problem....Ever. 

It's a complete myth. The man is well respected amongst every organization he has worked with, including the 49ers, and he has been a winner at every stop of the way with his head coaching career. 

The definition of a proven and stable commodity. 

Fine then hire Harbaugh and Fire JD. History would just more than likely repeat itself.

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How successful has Harbaugh been in Michigan? 

He would get an NFL job off of SF, not Michigan.

I mean 48-18 with Michigan is good by any measure, they unfortunately have to deal with Ohio State who owns him, so there is that. 

San Diego State- 29-6

Stanford- 29-21

San Fran- 44-19

Michigan- 48-18

Overall- 148-64

The man wins everywhere he goes. It baffles me that any Jet fan would even remotely NOT want him. I would kick JD to the side in a heartbeat for Harbaugh and never look back. 

He brings a proven track record of winning, proven track record of changing culture, and a proven track record of working with QBs. 

Literally the top 3 main things we need on the organization side of our team. 

This simple. 

If we hire some unproven rando, Trevor Lawrence seriously considers balking at us ala Eli Manning. If we go Harbaugh, Trevor Lawrence runs to the podium to accept our jersey. 

OR

Harbaugh ends up being just about the only guy that has a remote shot at salvaging Sam Darnolds career.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Campbell seems to be the hot name in college right now. I’d be willing to take a chance on him. Urban Meyer I’d doubt would come here but sure he’s a very good coach and would hire him in a heartbeat. Harbough like I said I doubt he’s coming he wants full control. 

as far as Marrone, Caldwell and Garret? You gotta be kidding me right? Definitely give me the unknown of Bieniemy over those 3 donuts 

I don't want these 3 but I'm saying, if everything goes wrong, they would be "acceptable retreads" worthy of consideration.  Jim Caldwell actually had 3 winning seasons in Detroit (including a season of 11-5).  

image.png.b82c7ef5cea4e4e42f31f2d9f5e365be.png

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Kind of cool that no matter what happens our consolation prize might be Justin Fields. I mean the guys skill set is succeeding in todays NFL.

Justin Fields with Greg Roman, Arthur Smith, or Brian Daboll could be a lot of fun. 

Bienemy is going to Houston.

• Upvote 1

Fun nugget i got:

Per the NFL source w/ work history with Joe Douglas... when asked "what type of coach would Joe like to work with?"

Source, "Think John Harbaugh, (he) likes tough guys..." (Not actually or literally Harbaugh, "but that type" 

My thoughts - .... Very interesting. Maybe more of a disciplinarian in our future. (i am aware JD probably won't even get to pick the HC, but certainly relevant)

53 minutes ago, MARTIN said:

Fun nugget i got:

Per the NFL source w/ work history with Joe Douglas... when asked "what type of coach would Joe like to work with?"

Source, "Think John Harbaugh, (he) likes tough guys..." (Not actually or literally Harbaugh, "but that type" 

My thoughts - .... Very interesting. Maybe more of a disciplinarian in our future. (i am aware JD probably won't even get to pick the HC, but certainly relevant)

Good find. I kind of envisioned his ideal coach as Mike Tomlin or Matt Rhule. So not too far off.

Im currently at Bieniemy, Roman, Campbell and Shaw mostly because of leadership. Still digging on Roman though. Going to go back and see if these guys prefer a more physical style of play. Then I’ll be an arm chair GM rooting for my guy.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

No way

Go all out and make a move for someone like Jim Harbaugh.

Get a proven HC and culture changer. Not another goddamn coordinator that doesn’t even call the plays.

The Next Nondescript Coordinator Who Will Work Cheap After the Next Proverbial Exhaustive Search WILL NOT WORK. 

Overpay a Giant already. May come a day Bienemy or Roman make a great coach, but that has not worked here.  

Jet fans keep saying, "that hasn't worked here", regarding Coordinators with no head coaching experience. Well, Trevor Lawrence hasn't PLAYED HERE, or Justin Fields hasn't PLAYED HERE. 

First thing you need to have some success in the NFL is a good QB. Bienemy in KC, Roman in Baltimore 1st & foremost have good QBs. 2nd thing you need is a scheme that coincides with the talent of your QB, instead of the round peg in a square hole types. 

In today's NFL, if your offense is stagnant & unimaginative, boring, or has zero toughness, it's filters through the entire team & wears down even a good defense ala the Steelers last year. Bens back, undefeated. Unfortunately, the New York Jets & primarily Maccagnan were going the opposite way for 10 straight years & missed out on some incredible QBs, WRs, RBs and drafted DTs, Safeties ect. 

So while many here lament that our Jets will be forever drowning, Wayne Chrebet is correct in saying, this can be turned around quickly like other teams have. We might be in position to take Lawrence & if not maybe Fields in the 2021 draft. There are 3/4 candidates who could bring a system in here to get the most out of them. Bienenemy, Roman, maybe a couple of college guys. 

While it's easy to dismiss this idea of turnaround, JD does have the assets to put some talent around these 2 QBs. He could start off with Allen Robinson, or Juju Smith Shuster (Clear upgrade), they could be in position to draft Ettiene, and use whatever they get in a Darnold trade for Oline. They could target Thuney, Stanley or Scherff! 2 free agent moves at WR & Guard instantly upgrade the offense. Let's hope Mims keeps improving. 

CJ Mosely has been out of football for 2 years to recover from his groin surgery, he's still under contract, not that old & there is no reason to believe he forgot how to play football. I'm pretty confident Joe Douglas has a plan, knew this team was thread bare, never expected so many injuries but watching for keepers & what players will be cut like Desir (they can't get rid of him faster for me). We're just starting to see some of his young picks get healthy, and the rest of these 9 games are just auditions to remain NY Jets. 

I'm truly bullish on 2021. The division isn't that good anymore, the Bills are just 2 years ahead of us in their rebuild, but we have 4 first round picks in 2021 & 2022 & will certainly get something from a team wanting to ressurect Darnold. 

• Upvote 2

Pairing Lawrence or Fields with Bienemy would be sooooooo Jets.

It’d be like if we had one of the best QB prospects a couple of years ago and then paired him with an Adam Gase! 

edit: also - quite the take from collinsworth there. “Lawrence is like Mahomes, now just go out and get yourself a Kelce and Clyde-Helaire and Tyreek from the supermarket and make Andy’s coffeeboy your HC, and wallah! Secret recipe yalllll!!!”

18 hours ago, Jetster said:

Kind of cool that no matter what happens our consolation prize might be Justin Fields. I mean the guys skill set is succeeding in todays NFL.

If Fields does become a really good NFL QB he will be the first one from Ohio State to do so.

• Upvote 1

The candidates should be limited to coaches that have experience as a HC turning a loser into a winner or who have served as a coordinator for a HC who turned a loser into a winner. There is no substitute for actual experience. And the experience needed is what it takes to turn a loser into a winner.

So, I've got Jim Harbaugh (Stanford, Niners); Matt Campbell (Toledo, Iowa State); and Bienemy (KC).

Bienemy saw a very quick turnaround  11-5  in his first season at KC. Andy Reid's impact was instantaneous.  He was also on John Embree's staff (Assistant HC) at the University of Colorado and Embree failed miserably in his attempt to make the Buffs relevant again. It would be interesting to hear what Bienemy has learned from these experiences and what his plan would be for the Jets, but he's never actually done it as the HC like the other 2 have.;

Matt Campbell has the proven track record of turning losers into winners and beating more talented teams with his less talented players. If you don't follow college football you will not know him, but I assure you he commands your attention. He is in control of everything, gets his players to buy in, he puts them into position to succeed and he motivates them. For those that love Jim Harbaugh, he is Jim Harbaugh before we all knew about Jim Harbaugh;

Jim Harbaugh is the real deal. He is the total package. But, IMO there is no way he leaves Michigan unless fired or he wins the National Championship. If you can get Jim Harbaugh, you get Jim Harbaugh. I just don't think he can be got.

There may be others who can be added to this list, but If I'm the Jets, experience turning losers into winners is a pre-requisite to being considered for the position.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The candidates should be limited to coaches that have experience as a HC turning a loser into a winner or who have served as a coordinator for a HC who turned a loser into a winner. There is no substitute for actual experience. And the experience needed is what it takes to turn a loser into a winner.

So, I've got Jim Harbaugh (Stanford, Niners); Matt Campbell (Toledo, Iowa State); and Bienemy (KC).

Bienemy saw a very quick turnaround  11-5  in his first season at KC. Andy Reid's impact was instantaneous.  He was also on John Embree's staff (Assistant HC) at the University of Colorado and Embree failed miserably in his attempt to make the Buffs relevant again. It would be interesting to hear what Bienemy has learned from these experiences and what his plan would be for the Jets, but he's never actually done it as the HC like the other 2 have.;

Matt Campbell has the proven track record of turning losers into winners and beating more talented teams with his less talented players. If you don't follow college football you will not know him, but I assure you he commands your attention. He is in control of everything, gets his players to buy in, he puts them into position to succeed and he motivates them. For those that love Jim Harbaugh, he is Jim Harbaugh before we all knew about Jim Harbaugh;

Jim Harbaugh is the real deal. He is the total package. But, IMO there is no way he leaves Michigan unless fired or he wins the National Championship. If you can get Jim Harbaugh, you get Jim Harbaugh. I just don't think he can be got.

There may be others who can be added to this list, but If I'm the Jets, experience turning losers into winners is a pre-requisite to being considered for the position.

Jeff Monken of Army and Bob Chesney of Holy Cross have Campbell-like resumes. But braindead guys like the Johnsons have no clue to be that far ahead of the curve. So it comes back to getting a real star here, and overpaying him to take the job. 

Only other possibility where  you can sell Bienemy or Roman;  if you say to Bill Cowher or Tony Dungy, here's a big check, you be club president. Either brings instant credibility and they become the public face of the franchise. 2 heads are better than one. Work with Douglas to get a good HC. And that's not crazy. Looks like that dynamic actually works. Look at the Rangers . 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Untouchable said:

No way

Go all out and make a move for someone like Jim Harbaugh.

Get a proven HC and culture changer. Not another goddamn coordinator that doesn’t even call the plays.

always leary of guys who didnt call Off or Def plays..

Harbaugh or Roman my 2 choices

19 hours ago, STLuLu said:

My girlfriend just looked at my laptop and saw this and can't stop laughing. She said we're pathetic and wants to know why we keep torturing ourselves and why we can't find another team to root for. I just told her that it was complicated. 

It's complicated!  lol. That's about the best possible answer  hahaha 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Pairing Lawrence or Fields with Bienemy would be sooooooo Jets.

It’d be like if we had one of the best QB prospects a couple of years ago and then paired him with an Adam Gase! 

edit: also - quite the take from collinsworth there. “Lawrence is like Mahomes, now just go out and get yourself a Kelce and Clyde-Helaire and Tyreek from the supermarket and make Andy’s coffeeboy your HC, and wallah! Secret recipe yalllll!!!”

What's your plan? Now remember, whatever your plan is you have to be confident that whoever your planning for that they will actually WANT to come to the New York Jets. 

This goes all the way back to Reggie White. 

Hi, Chiefs fan here.  Don't worry, I'm not here to troll at all.  In fact, this might be my one and only post here on your forum.  I just happened to be checking out your board and saw this thread, and thought I'd add my two cents, if you don't mind.

First of all, let me  be clear:  I don't want EB to go to the Jets.  IHMO, NYJ is a very dysfunctional franchise, and I wouldn't wish that on EB.  About the only things going for the Jets is that you guys are clearly the front-runners for taking TL, and I think you have some good picks stashed away for the upcoming draft, plus you do have a couple nice pieces like that new LT(RT?).

But I wanted to give you guys some info about EB, just so you can at least know a little bit of what he's about.

EB came with Andy to the Chiefs back in 2013, and was promoted to OC in 2018.  So he's been around long before Mahomes was in the picture.  And while he doesn't call the plays (usually; there was a couple games last season that he called), he does fully participate in game-planning for every game, has installed his own plays, and during the week works more closely with Patrick than Andy does.

Essentially his job with the offense is to get the gameplan sorted out with Andy and Mahomes, then bring that to the offense and get it installed for the week.  During the game he's the one that often makes in-game adjustments to the offense on the bigger scale; stuff like when the Chiefs decided to run 7 straight times to start the 2nd half on the Titans in last year's AFCCG.  So while Andy does call the actual plays for most of the games, EB gets to steer the offense, as it were.

And EB has the respect of every player in the lockerroom, and has since 2013.  So he does bring that kind of leadership to a team.  Kelce himself said that EB changed the course of his career and made him the player he is today as much as Andy did.

I think the biggest reason most people don't get EB is his pressers.  He styled them after Andy's a long time ago, and he is even more 'close to the vest' than Andy is at times. So what you end up hearing is a lot of basic coachspeak that doesn't mean much.  Plenty of Chiefs fans find it a little frustrating at times.

Here's a video that features EB several times, and since he's talking about Andy and it's the offseason, he's a lot more open, and you get a much better idea of what kind of person and coach he really is.  It's a little over 40 minutes, so yeah it's long, but EB is featured several times early so you don't have to watch the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/h3naa6hvKyE

Anyway, I enjoyed looking around your nice forum here (everyone here seems more civil than on ChiefsPlanet), and good luck to your team this weekend and beyond.

20 minutes ago, DirtyDan49 said:

Hi, Chiefs fan here.  Don't worry, I'm not here to troll at all.  In fact, this might be my one and only post here on your forum.  I just happened to be checking out your board and saw this thread, and thought I'd add my two cents, if you don't mind.

First of all, let me  be clear:  I don't want EB to go to the Jets.  IHMO, NYJ is a very dysfunctional franchise, and I wouldn't wish that on EB.  About the only things going for the Jets is that you guys are clearly the front-runners for taking TL, and I think you have some good picks stashed away for the upcoming draft, plus you do have a couple nice pieces like that new LT(RT?).

But I wanted to give you guys some info about EB, just so you can at least know a little bit of what he's about.

EB came with Andy to the Chiefs back in 2013, and was promoted to OC in 2018.  So he's been around long before Mahomes was in the picture.  And while he doesn't call the plays (usually; there was a couple games last season that he called), he does fully participate in game-planning for every game, has installed his own plays, and during the week works more closely with Patrick than Andy does.

Essentially his job with the offense is to get the gameplan sorted out with Andy and Mahomes, then bring that to the offense and get it installed for the week.  During the game he's the one that often makes in-game adjustments to the offense on the bigger scale; stuff like when the Chiefs decided to run 7 straight times to start the 2nd half on the Titans in last year's AFCCG.  So while Andy does call the actual plays for most of the games, EB gets to steer the offense, as it were.

And EB has the respect of every player in the lockerroom, and has since 2013.  So he does bring that kind of leadership to a team.  Kelce himself said that EB changed the course of his career and made him the player he is today as much as Andy did.

I think the biggest reason most people don't get EB is his pressers.  He styled them after Andy's a long time ago, and he is even more 'close to the vest' than Andy is at times. So what you end up hearing is a lot of basic coachspeak that doesn't mean much.  Plenty of Chiefs fans find it a little frustrating at times.

Here's a video that features EB several times, and since he's talking about Andy and it's the offseason, he's a lot more open, and you get a much better idea of what kind of person and coach he really is.  It's a little over 40 minutes, so yeah it's long, but EB is featured several times early so you don't have to watch the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/h3naa6hvKyE

Anyway, I enjoyed looking around your nice forum here (everyone here seems more civil than on ChiefsPlanet), and good luck to your team this weekend and beyond.

Thanks for the input, and welcome to the board!  Oh, and....

1ee4b7ea6de0b45be33157df20655cc5.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thanks for the input, and welcome to the board!  Oh, and....

1ee4b7ea6de0b45be33157df20655cc5.jpg

haha, thanks, I appreciate it.  Go Jets!  Just not this week.

(My dad was a Jets fan, which is part of the reason I check this place out once in a while, especially since he passed)

• Upvote 2