NBC's Cris Collingsworth's plan to save the Jets matches top head coach candidate with rookie QB

NBC’s Cris Collinsworth’s plan to save the Jets matches top head coach candidate with rookie QB

Updated 8:21 AM; Today 6:08 AM 

Things could not be worse for the New York Jets. They own the worst record in the NFL (0-7) and are run by a head coach (Adam Gase) who’s considered a dead man walking.

But brighter days could be ahead for general manager Joe Douglas and acting owner Christopher Johnson, if they follow the two-step plan laid out by NBC Sports' Cris Collinsworth, who broke down the Jets while talking to Peter King for his “Football Morning in America” column.

When asked to pick a coach most likely to turn around a struggling team, Collinsworth named Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

All these owners and GMs, they call you. Because we meet everybody. Bieniemy’s a dynamic personality, obviously he’s been in the room with Andy Reid, with the most creative of offenses. Is he the play caller? No, but it’s about play design. It’s about play creation. It’s about knowing the type of athlete you need to put together those kinds of creative offenses. And he’s a great guy. ...

After that, Collinsworth said his first move would be to find a new franchise quarterback.

I’m taking [Clemson QB] Trevor Lawrence with the first pick. I watched that kid play the other day. Talking about it with Richard Sherman, and he was saying, ‘You know, you got Sam Darnold, he’s been a top 5 pick. You could trade away the number one pick and you could set up your franchise for the rest of your life.’ I’m like, no way. In New York City? If they pass up the number one pick? If they don’t draft Trevor Lawrence, for the next six months, there is only one headline on the back pages of every one of those newspapers that you blew it, and that was the chance of a lifetime and you didn’t take it.

So basically, Collinsworth’s plan to save the Jets is to build a new version of the Chiefs.

I’m re-creating Kansas City everything. Trevor Lawrence is the same kind of player that Patrick Mahomes is. He can move. He’s creative. He’s been good for a long, consistent period of time. And then I’m going out and I’m finding all the (Travis) Kelces and (Clyde) Edwards-Helaires I can find. I’m just re-doing Kansas City.

It’s somewhat ironic that Collinsworth thinks the Jets should become the East Coast version of the Chiefs because on Sunday, New York visits Kansas City for a Week 8 matchup, giving running back Le’Veon Bell a chance to face the team which released him just two weeks ago.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Ugh. With this bienemy stuff. We’re talking about a guy who does not even manage his own department. He’s supposed to come to this cursed franchise and weather the onslaught from our fan base and media? It’s an uphill battle. We need a battle ax who doesn’t give one$hit about that stuff and who can CEO his top tier coordinators

I’m going to look more into his resume but he’s about the scariest candidate I can think of.
Greg Roman all day or court the Clemson coach over to the NFL To go with his young QB

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Like the Greg Roman thought. Whether its Lawrence or if we get Fields as a consolation, we have to move on from Sam Darnold, I've seen enough. At least with a base RPO offense like they created for Lamar, Roman could do the same for Lawrence or Fields out of the gate. Food for thought, do you think the Buffalo Bills could EVER hold Trevor or Justin to 4 yards of offense over the course of a whole half? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Ugh. With this bienemy stuff. We’re talking about a guy who does not even manage his own department. He’s supposed to come to this cursed franchise and weather the onslaught from our fan base and media? It’s an uphill battle. We need a battle ax who doesn’t give one$hit about that stuff and who can CEO his top tier coordinators

I’m going to look more into his resume but he’s about the scariest candidate I can think of.
Greg Roman all day or court the Clemson coach over to the NFL To go with his young QB

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Bieniemy has as much to do with KC’s success as Gase did with Denver’s. No thanks.

I agree gentlemen. 

Im not a Bienemy fan. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, STLuLu said:

My girlfriend just looked at my laptop and saw this and can't stop laughing. She said we're pathetic and wants to know why we keep torturing ourselves and why we can't find another team to root for. I just told her that it was complicated. 

What was your GF checking out my profile. LOL jk

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

So the Jets in PINK? Anything would be an improvement over their current crappy uniforms. 

2EE4D7D3-542A-4C05-AA53-08CE5501C6ED.jpeg

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Harbaugh & Douglas - Don't see how that would work. Harbaugh is a control freak which is why he was thrown out of SF. Plus he's a Rex type run first HC.  We need a dynamic offensive mind with a no nonsense attitude that would change the culture as well as open up this putrid offense. 

rams.gif

You need to get a better understanding of what happened with Harbaugh in SF. It wasnt Harbaugh that was the control freak, it was the GM he was working with. 

Harbaugh being difficult is a complete myth. 

• Upvote 1

Bieniemy does not seem like a great head coach candidate to me. I’m not sure he’d be a great overall manager of the team. And if the main reason to get him is because of offense then I’d be concerned about how much of Kansas City‘s credit goes to him versus Andy Reid, Mahomes and the talent they have there. He does not even call the plays on offense.

There are also some fairly significant concerns about off the field behavior and issues from his past. I’m not saying he’s a bad guy or that he hasn’t changed from who he was years ago but when you are the HC and the face of the franchise you really need to be an exceptional candidate in order to take on those types of risks.

Taking an offensive coach from under Andy Reid would feel like getting one of Belickick’s defensive coaches to become your HC.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Kind of cool that no matter what happens our consolation prize might be Justin Fields. I mean the guys skill set is succeeding in todays NFL.

I can absolutely envision a scenario where there are 3 one win teams - We're one of them and have the best SOS.  Get the third pick...miss out on fields.

I want no part of Bienemy or Harbaugh. 

- Swinney (not happening)

- Riley (not happening)

- Urban Meyer, unlikely but since he's not in a contract already I like his chances more than the 2 listed above

- Greg Roman, Ravens connection for Douglas, built offenses for Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, Kaep, and Lamar Jackson - Lawrence seems to be cut of a similar mold. Builds his offense around the talent he has.

- Joe Brady, coached under Sean Payton, had the most prolific offense in college history with LSU, and is now making Teddy look legit. Unfortunately he is so young that I'm not sure he'd be able to put together a solid coaching staff yet.

I've got a few more names kicking around Daboll and Campbell are interesting options as well.

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jim boy wonder? He hasn’t been impressive with Michigan and his tough guy act will wear on players.

Why?

Because he hasn’t beaten Ohio State, the biggest recruiting powerhouse this side of Alabama and Clemson over the last decade?

He’s still averaged 10 wins a year since going to Ann Arbor.

The dude developed Andrew Luck into the greatest QB prospect in recent memory, totally resurrected Alex Smith’s career and reached a Super Bowl with a one dimensional QB like Kaepernick.

He also put dudes like David Shaw and Greg Roman on the map.

He’s been a legit culture changer and program builder everywhere he’s been. From San Diego to Stanford to San Fran to Michigan.

I’d slaughter a small village to pair Harbaugh with Lawrence.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

My girlfriend just looked at my laptop and saw this and can't stop laughing. She said we're pathetic and wants to know why we keep torturing ourselves and why we can't find another team to root for. I just told her that it was complicated. 

Sadly, she's right.  That's what my first wife said.  She didn't last long.  LOL

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Harbaugh & Douglas - Don't see how that would work. Harbaugh is a control freak which is why he was thrown out of SF. Plus he's a Rex type run first HC.  We need a dynamic offensive mind with a no nonsense attitude that would change the culture as well as open up this putrid offense. 

Ah, one of those guys. Should head on down to Coachmart and pick one of those up. Which aisle are they in again?

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

When have we ever done this except with Parcells?

Ask a LOT of teams in the league how it works with retreading the wheel.

Its a crap shoot.  IF we are going to have the first over all pick, and Trevor Lawrence is going to come here, find a coach who will work wonder's with him.  Find a coach who will relinquish control of the offense to someone who will work with the players they have, NOT force an idea in a square hole.  

Jim Harbaugh for the sake of Jim Harbaugh won't work.  His history shows you might get a couple of years before the players start to hate him.