Great insight on Eric Bieniemy

The Athletic Chief's beat writer was a guest on Connor Hughes podcast. Provided great insight on Eric Bieniemy. I know there's some off the field issues with him though in the past. From a football standpoint. Sign me up especially if he can bring Mike Kafka with him. 

Starts around 19:23

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

The Athletic Chief's beat writer was a guest on Connor Hughes podcast. Provided great insight on Eric Bieniemy. I know there's some off the field issues with him though in the past. From a football standpoint. Sign me up especially if he can bring Mike Kafka with him. 

Starts around 19:23

I can live with Bienemy, I'm worried about the ties to Reid and how much influence he's had on their success. If I'm a gambling man, I think we end up with Greg Roman.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Do not want.  

He’s been passed over time and time again- why is that? This is Reid’s offense lead by a generational talent at QB.  Even Gase looked pretty good as an assistant in a similar circumstance.

I don’t disagree because of gase but I think the jets need someone who has had experience getting a team into shape and this means dealing with more than just the generational talent. It also means more than just knowing the x’s and o’s.

• Upvote 1

"HE'S THE TOP GUY EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT"... 

sure has interviewed for a HC close to 20 times... is riding Andy Reid's coat tails. This guy isn't the top guy but the media has found their "sweetheart" for this offseason.

We interviewed him previous to Gase hiring. Doubt we go this route and I hope we don't.

• Upvote 1

Skill position FAs would flock to the Jets if we had the #1 overall pick (i.e. Lawrence) and EB at the helm.

I don't understand where this magical, "give me a guy with great HC experience with a history of winning", candidate is coming from.

Hargbaugh?  Lol...that would be an instant disaster.

After listening to that segment, it seemed to hinge on getting Kafka to come with Bienemy since he's the one who coached up Mahomes with Reid. Why not go to the source? Bienemy by all accounts is more pivotal for the running attack than the passing game. Regardless, I think this has Texans written all over it.

If the Johnson's empower JD to have real input on the next HC search, I would put money on someone like Roman anyways

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I can live with Bienemy, I'm worried about the ties to Reid and how much influence he's had on their success. If I'm a gambling man, I think we end up with Greg Roman.

That's the guy Bla Bla Bla :) 

I'm looking into these candidates for a future vid, but even as I do that Roman continues to rise to the top.  I think it's quite simply his turn. 

Michael Campbell is also rising for me. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm looking into these candidates for a future vid, but even as I do that Roman continues to rise to the top.  I think it's quite simply his turn. 

Campbell is an interesting name, love what he's done with the Iowa St program. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Those would be my top 2 choices. That's nothing against Smith, Brady, or Daboll, I just think those 2 just make the most sense.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not that I’m opposed to Campbell but I just don’t see the appeal with him. He’s done well to turn Iowa State around but from what I’m digging up, I’m not really seeing the catch with him.

He did it at Toledo first. He's coached both sides of the ball. During his coaching career both the Patriots and Urban Meyer sought him out and attempted to convince him to join their coaching staffs.

He wins games with less talent than the opposing team with regularity. A college coach would be ideal since the Jets will be a very young team and the last thing we need is a HC who doesn't understand how to motivate 20 something players. He said no to an interview with the Jets in 2018 because he didn't like the situation and did not feel he was ready. He's ready now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not that I’m opposed to Campbell but I just don’t see the appeal with him. He’s done well to turn Iowa State around but from what I’m digging up, I’m not really seeing the catch with him.

Me Neither. I don't see him as having the same cachet as someone like Rhule. Not sure I can trust him with what will likely be a top QB prospect like TL or Fields

My list so far(in no order)

Art Smith

Daboll

Roman 

Bieniemy 

Harbaugh(Please bring a modern OC)

Joe Brady

David Shaw(Please bring a modern OC) 

Dark Horse: Doug Pedersen (if fired) 

The trend here is that I think I want an offensive guy, or a "culture changer". Preferably someone who's both. 

I think we should stay away from rookie defensive coaches and washed retreads like Garrett, Zimmer or Caldwell 

32 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We also interviewed Rhule and Kingsbury who are obviously better NFL head coaches than Gase. The fact that we passed on him is no indictment on his ability, perhaps even an endorsement.

could be, but if you are hiring a guy because... and i am assuming you are (and by you i don't mean you specifically cockyB) hiring for his ability to design/run/call an offense. the huge problem is IT IS NOT HIS OFFENSE. Reid does almost everything and that system is the same as the Philly days so I am not sure how anyone can really look at Bieniemy and say, yeah he put his stamp on the offense. 

Bieniemy may be a decent guy and or turn into a decent coach, but you would think after almost 20 interviews someone would have hired him if so. thats 75% of the league that has decided he isn't the guy. I don't disagree either. 

• Upvote 1

Bieniemy isn't my top choice, but he'd be an acceptable one.  People need to get past the Andy Reid/Mahomes/playcalling nonsense.  A HC needs to be the CEO of the team.  Period.  Calling plays is on the low end of duties that I care about when hiring the next HC.  

The question is whether he can coach the whole team, has the personality to handle the job, can properly delegate and how well he can work with a QB.  Bieniemy is being groomed by Reid to be a HC much like Doug Pederson was before getting the Philly job.  That alone makes him a worthwhile candidate.  The Andy Reid tree has been pretty solid.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1