Jets \ Raiders Game Thread

Maxman

30 minutes ago, ausman said:

That’s the way it turned out, but at the time had he not done it you would’ve Ben screaming at the TV for one.  Don’t lie now.

Disagree.

Perhaps if the Raiders had first and goal inside the 5, you consider taking timeouts assuming they will score a TD. But the Raiders scoring a TD on that series positioned at about the 20 was far from guaranteed. Taking timeouts to stop the clock while up by 4 is always questionable especially when the opposing team still has 2 timeouts of their own.

It makes no sense now, and it made no sense at the time.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I have fought and fought against the tank mentality for years. To lose games and move down from the 9th pick to the 5th pick, I hate the thought of rooting for the Jets to lose. 

This situation is different. The Jets are headed towards the first pick. They have maybe 15 - 20 returning players, so many guys on one year deals. They have a GM that looks like he can draft. They have picks and cap room.

The Jets winning this year doesn't help the franchise.  I despise the thought of "tanking" under most circumstances. The only way you tank is for the 1st overall pick if a big time QB prospect is coming out.

Trading down from the first pick will do more for this team long term than ANY one player. I would be more inclined to agree with you if our QB was an older hold the fort type of player. I don't view Darnold as one of those types.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Spreads are designed to move the betting line, not to indicate what is or isn't competitive.

SAR I

Jets are trending toward a bottom 3 team ever in point differential. It's incredible that you think you can spin this.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I have fought and fought against the tank mentality for years. To lose games and move down from the 9th pick to the 5th pick, I hate the thought of rooting for the Jets to lose. 

This situation is different. The Jets are headed towards the first pick. They have maybe 15 - 20 returning players, so many guys on one year deals. They have a GM that looks like he can draft. They have picks and cap room.

The Jets winning this year doesn't help the franchise.  I despise the thought of "tanking" under most circumstances. The only way you tank is for the 1st overall pick if a big time QB prospect is coming out.

This is nothing compared to how the Colts tanked for Andrew Luck. They fielded a team of CFL rejects that year. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, genot said:

We have no pass rush. No shutdown corner. Offensive guard in todays league are important because of the QW's that are being drafted into the league. Our guards today we're Andrews and Eiflien. That's not gonna do it.

If you have a franchise QB and dangerous offense, that stuff doesn't matter as much.Not saying it doesn't matter, only that without a premier QB, you're fighting a losing battle. Everything else is 2nd place. We've had a team in our division treat us mostly as noncombatants for 2 decades because the had The Guy. The rules as enforced BEG YOU TO PASS. STOP FIGHTING CITY HALL. As great as any defense may be, things are now designed for it to fail no matter what several times every game. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Trading down from the first pick will do more for this team long term than ANY one player. I would be more inclined to agree with you if our QB was an older hold the fort type of player. I don't view Darnold as one of those types.

Darnold is getting traded. They aren't bringing him back. If they traded the # 1 pick they would get a ton of draft capital back. But then they will still need a QB and Gase is ruining Sam. His regression this year has been scary.

Just now, Bugg said:

If you have a franchise QB and dangerous offense, that stuff doesn't matter as much.Not saying it doesn't matter, only that without a premier QB, you're fighting a losing battle. Everything else is 2nd places. The rules as enforced BEG YOU TO PASS. STOP FIGHTING CITY HALL. As great as any defense may be, things are now designed for it to fail no matter what several times every game. 

This game to me should have opened up some eyes about what Darnold can do with a clean pocket. He hasn't had that all year,and today they're we're to many breakdowns. Fix the o- line, you fix this offense.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Darnold is getting traded. They aren't bringing him back. If they traded the # 1 pick they would get a ton of draft capital back. But then they will still need a QB and Gase is ruining Sam. His regression this year has been scary.

You seem so sure about that. Any inside information to share.

Just now, genot said:

This game to me should have opened up some eyes about what Darnold can do with a clean pocket. He hasn't had that all year,and today they're we're to many breakdowns. Fix the o- line, you fix this offense.

3 turnovers, and did NOTHING with a chance to close the game out. It's a cruel tease. It's not gonna happen for Darnold, not here, not anywhere. He's Charmin soft. Comes a point even you have to see that.

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

And the Crowd Cheers Bring Back Bates!!!! :) 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, genot said:

He had 3 turnovers.  All 3 led to points for the Raiders.

What an absolutely odd hill to die on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, viffer said:

I started watching Lawrence when this board started having wet dreams about him, and I haven’t been impressed. He is a good QB on a great team. Great receivers catch passes at their ankles or behind them. If we do get him, two years from now the tankers will be crying.

Maybe, but so will you be.

At least I'm enjoying now.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, genot said:

So you're ready to commit a guaranteed $25+ million to Darnold for 2022? The Jets have to make that decision days after this years draft on his 5th year option. If you're not prepared to do that then you draft a QB with the 1st pick.  If you are prepared to do that then your football intelligence is lacking, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, genot said:

He fumbled twice because he was blindsided twice. You Blame him. I blame the lineman who whiffed on those blocks.

So every QB who gets blindsided fumbles??? Most decent QB's feel that blindside pressure in time to maintain the ball. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So you're ready to commit a guaranteed $25+ million to Darnold for 2022? The Jets have to make that decision days after this years draft on his 5th year option. If you're not prepared to do that then you draft a QB with the 1st pick.  If you are prepared to do that then your football intelligence is lacking, in my opinion. 

Yes, i would. The offers piling in for that 1st pick will be too hard to turn down. 

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So every QB who gets blindsided fumbles??? Most decent QB's feel that blindside pressure in time to maintain the ball. 

Give credit to Ferrill. He crushed Sam, and went for the strip and won. Darnold didn't see him coming both times

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You don't trade down from 2 if you're trying to take a QB.  You take your top QB, whether that be Fields, Wilson or Lance.  You don't d**k around with that decision.  

We have a second 1st round pick at our disposal, and 8 picks in the first 5 rounds overall.  A QB-needy team trading down makes absolutely no sense, even if its only 1 or 2 spots.

There is a lot that can happen between now and draft day.  It depends on how far down we trade.  If you rate Wilson, Fields or Lance about even, then you absolutely consider trading down.  Doesn't mean you have to do it.  Really determines how they the view the next tier of quarterbacks after TL.   As we have seen, there a way too many examples of quarterbacks taken a little later that turn out to be just as good if not better than the "top rated" quarterback.    It is all about being flexible in your approach, again, based on how you view the top qb prospects.   Thinking the other way is how Mac would go about it.  You have to keep your options open. 

17 minutes ago, genot said:

He fumbled twice because he was blindsided twice. You Blame him. I blame the lineman who whiffed on those blocks.

So which is it. He had protection and showed what he can do, or the protection was bad and he deserves zero blame?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, genot said:

Darnold is a tease.  He is like that chick that you just "know" is going to put out soon and 6 months later, taking cold showers everyday is completely normal to you...   

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

There is a lot that can happen between now and draft day.  It depends on how far down we trade.  If you rate Wilson, Fields or Lance about even, then you absolutely consider trading down.  Doesn't mean you have to do it.  Really determines how they the view the next tier of quarterbacks after TL.   As we have seen, there a way too many examples of quarterbacks taken a little later that turn out to be just as good if not better than the "top rated" quarterback.    It is all about being flexible in your approach, again, based on how you view the top qb prospects.   Thinking the other way is how Mac would go about it.  You have to keep your options open. 

Flexibility only goes so far, and you seem to be assuming all 3 of the "2nd tier" QB prospects will be rated about the same.  I doubt that will be the case. 

The time to be flexible is when you like a few non-premium position guys, or even a WR or EDGE rusher, about the same and thus feel comfortable one will be there when you trade down.  You just don't do that with QB's. 

When you need a QB and have a high pick, you take your top guy, period.  You don't d**k around with decisions like that.