Jets could have drafted all 3 AFC Pro Bowl QBs

On 12/22/2020 at 8:14 AM, Jetster said:

Watson was the fish that got away. How Macc decided that he had his QB in Hackenberg & passed on Watson for a damn box safety will be viewed as a cautionary tale for every GM going forward! 
And the most painful part was if you did a poll on this site with real Jet fans Watson would have been the pick by a LANDSLIDE & none of us get PAID to make these decisions. 
That one really hurts because of the draft capital that had to be wasted to move up to #3 in 2018. Just Painful. 
A lot of coaches would take this job with Watson here. Very good QB & even a better person. Total swing & miss.

But at least in that case he took a QB he thought might be an answer. Using the #2 pick to draft an OL or other position player when a guy like Fields is sitting there is just crazy. And to the point you made adding a QB in 2022 would be detrimental in either draft capital or other team assets. 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Using the #2 pick to draft an OL or other position player when a guy like Fields is sitting there is just crazy. 

Dude. 

Penei Sewell is the highest rated Offensive Lineman to enter an NFL draft since dating back to Orlando Pace of 23 years ago (1997). 

Penei Sewell would've been the #1 overall pick (100%) if not for Trevor Lawrence. 

What's crazy is reaching for QBs with question marks (outside of Trevor Lawrence) while passing on a future Hall of Fame OT. 

Fields as a prospect and a PROJECT can't hold the jockstrap of Penei Sewell as a ready to dominate the NFL from day 1 type of GENERATIONAL player. 

On 12/22/2020 at 12:39 AM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Let's face it. If the Jets drafted Allen, he would be total garbage right now.  Allen and Darnold were pretty even their rookie seasons, then the Jets went south and the Bills built a team with a real coach.  Switch places and Darnold is a golden boy and Allen is a mess.  Just sayin' Darnold is a victim, not the cause.  That said, I think he is ruined here and its time to move on. The lesson is that the Jets need to bring along the next QB the right way - with an OL, receivers, and a coach who can coach.  

What doe's ruined mean??????I hear that a lot. Still haven't figured out what that means.

What does this prove, exactly? Every team that passed on these players or didn't try hard enough to move up to take them also failed to draft these guys. Lots of front offices miss players who turn out to be great. It's really easy to call people out with hindsight. If you want to say Macc sucked you don't need to elaborate as pretty much everybody agrees. 

23 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Dude. 

Penei Sewell is the highest rated Offensive Lineman to enter an NFL draft since dating back to Orlando Pace of 23 years ago (1997). 

Penei Sewell would've been the #1 overall pick (100%) if not for Trevor Lawrence. 

What's crazy is reaching for QBs with question marks (outside of Trevor Lawrence) while passing on a future Hall of Fame OT. 

Fields as a prospect and a PROJECT can't hold the jockstrap of Penei Sewell as a ready to dominate the NFL from day 1 type of GENERATIONAL player. 

I don't care if he's a solid granite wall of stone. Its very seldom you get to pick at #1 or #2 in an NFL draft . The Jets need a future QB and there are 2/3 very good NFL prospects at QB , you have to pick one even if they eventually bust and Sewell turns out to be a 20 year NFL stud. 

On 12/22/2020 at 12:40 AM, jgb said:

I refuse to believe that no matter who we draft we are predestined for the same result.

I think Watson and Mahomes would have been good here (Mahomes not as good as he's been, but still good.)

I think, given how raw he was and his play as a rookie it is totally believable that if Josh Allen had spent the last two years on this team being coached by Adam Gase we'd be in the exact situation we're in now.

But maybe I'm just biased because I hated Allen as a prospect. And, you know, Gase.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:05 AM, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Dude - are we really going to play the "We could have drafted....." game at this point in the history of the franchise? I think the issue of who we've missed out on has been covered Ad nauseam

Exactly....I’m still outraged we didn’t trade up for Lawrence Taylor that time when everyone knew he’d change the game forever....and we coulda had Ronnie Lott too, I was telling everyone in the draft forum this guy would be great....don’t even get me started on the Joe Montana pick.....I was banging the table for him in the 2nd round back in ‘79

damn you Macc

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Exactly....I’m still outraged we didn’t trade up for Lawrence Taylor that time when everyone knew he’d change the game forever....and we coulda had Ronnie Lott too, I was telling everyone in the draft forum this guy would be great....don’t even get me started on the Joe Montana pick.....I was banging the table for him in the 2nd round back in ‘79

damn you Macc

What? You weren't screaming for Tom Brady throughout rounds 1-5 before pounding the table for the GOAT come the infamous 6th round? 

1 hour ago, GothamLurker said:

The people saying if we drafted Allen, he would be trash are actually correct....

I stand correct, and agree with them. Most of what Allen is doing is due to

1) Supremely talented team

2) Great coaching

3) Play calling

We have none of these 3 things hahaha. Therefore, Allen would be a bust here. He was borderline bust until this year when they hauled in some talent. Put Sam in BUF, I would argue BUF would be better, cause Sam is a better pure QB than Allen......Yes.....I said that.......

Allen does things Darnold can only dream of.

Stefon Diggs is shattering his own personal records with Josh Allen.

Cole Beasley is shattering his own personal records with Josh Allen.

John Brown shattered his own personal record with Josh Allen.

Allen makes the players around him better. Meanwhile Robby Anderson was held back by Darnold.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Yeah because safeties simply don’t make impact plays....ever 

7D55254A-CC43-4E94-BB9B-8B9DC001933A.jpeg

McCagnon...is that you???   This is Mahommes. Wanted to say Thank you for NOT drafting me.  This isn't a would have could have argument. For 4 years we has SHlt at QB and drafted HACK and our 1st round picks were Defensive players like Lee and Adams.  Impact??  A FG kicker might be as impactful so YES, QB first, safety second. WE had NO QB and passed on 3-4 Pro Bowlers.  Merry Christmas!!:)

3 hours ago, hamat711 said:

Allen does things Darnold can only dream of.

Stefon Diggs is shattering his own personal records with Josh Allen.

Cole Beasley is shattering his own personal records with Josh Allen.

John Brown shattered his own personal record with Josh Allen.

Allen makes the players around him better. Meanwhile Robby Anderson was held back by Darnold.

The above people are why he is so "Good." Again, he has a talented team. Sam is putrid, but he does complete routine throws....Josh could not for 2 years!!!!! Yikes!!!!!

Until he got those weapons..... Allen folds when playing elite teams. Allen gets to play AFC East teams every year; wins are inflated, aka Brady.

Agree to disagree I guess.

1 hour ago, GothamLurker said:

The above people are why he is so "Good." Again, he has a talented team. Sam is putrid, but he does complete routine throws....Josh could not for 2 years!!!!! Yikes!!!!!

Until he got those weapons..... Allen folds when playing elite teams. Allen gets to play AFC East teams every year; wins are inflated, aka Brady.

Agree to disagree I guess.

I think you are missing the point. This year has proven that Josh Allen can play like a MVP with a decent roster. That is not true for every QB.

There is no way you can watch Allen this year and say it's just his weapons. He is making difficult plays look routine. He is now beating defenses with his mind, which is deadly with his arm talent.

On 12/22/2020 at 3:49 AM, PS17 said:

Good thing we got the best player available with those draft picks. 

Yep and now some of us are advocating drafting Sowell with #2. Gotta take the QB shot with your top pick in this draft. Be it #2 or after trading down 

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2020 at 5:56 AM, morny said:

I agree with your overall point (for example, both Watson and Mahomes would be studs for us, as bad as we are), however in terms of Allen i do feel like had he come to us he'd have been trash. 

Whereas the Bills purposely built schemes and the roster at each stage of his development to suit his talents/hide his weaknesses, all the while coaching him and improving them flaws, we have done nothing of that with Darnold. 

If we had got the raw Josh Allen with shaky accuracy Mac wouldn't have changed his drafting/FA signings at all, and we would have still signed Gase, and we'd be in the same mess. 

Allen is amazing now, he is outstanding, but he was a project coming out and the Bills handled him perfectly. We would have made an absolute pigs ear of it. 

FWIW I feel the same about Lamar Jackson - we'd have tried to turn him into a traditional drop-back pocket passer and not done anything to build an offense around his rushing skills. 

I do not accept that any team - not even the Jets with its lousy HCs of late - would attempt to turn the raw passing prospect Lamar Jackson, with his quick cuts and 4.3 speed, into a traditional drop back passer. Not even Bowles and Gase. I’m sure they’d try to turn him into a better passer, and every likelihood they’d have done a poorer job than the coaching Jackson received in Baltimore, but that would be said for any team drafting any QB, regardless of preferred style and the QB’s skill set.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, redlichtie said:

damn you Macc

Al Toon over Jerry Rice in '85?

6 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Al Toon over Jerry Rice in '85?

No....being serious for once, this one was right all along. Toon was a unique talent...I know it’s a lazy assumption to say that x player would’ve had the same production as y player had they swapped teams and careers but with Toon you can totally argue he’d have been as dominant as Rice in that SF dynasty. Not taking anything away from Jerry Rice but big Al was special, the concussions took their toll on him and his career was all too short 

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

What does this prove, exactly? Every team that passed on these players or didn't try hard enough to move up to take them also failed to draft these guys. Lots of front offices miss players who turn out to be great. It's really easy to call people out with hindsight. If you want to say Macc sucked you don't need to elaborate as pretty much everybody agrees. 

I want to say Macc sucked because it's a free county and I want to mention it again.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:05 AM, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Dude - are we really going to play the "We could have drafted....." game at this point in the history of the franchise? I think the issue of who we've missed out on has been covered Ad nauseam

On 12/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, redlichtie said:

damn you Macc

This thread is a thing because a lot of fans here want to draft a f**king Right Tackle over a QB in the upcoming draft.

Do we ever learn?  It's better to shoot your shot on a QB and risk failure than to pass on a quality QB prospect and run the risk of him going on to great success elsewhere.  The latter has been a huge problem for the Jets in its history.  The former has been proven not to be such a terrible thing for a franchise as long as you move on quickly from the QB's that fail.  It worked out great for the Arizona Cardinals when they drafted Rosen and Kyler Murray in back to back years.  Also for the Panthers when they took Jimmy Clausen and Cam Newton in back to back years.

On 12/23/2020 at 5:20 PM, southparkcpa said:

McCagnon...is that you???   This is Mahommes. Wanted to say Thank you for NOT drafting me.  This isn't a would have could have argument. For 4 years we has SHlt at QB and drafted HACK and our 1st round picks were Defensive players like Lee and Adams.  Impact??  A FG kicker might be as impactful so YES, QB first, safety second. WE had NO QB and passed on 3-4 Pro Bowlers.  Merry Christmas!!:)

Just painful! 

On 12/21/2020 at 9:43 PM, Skeet Ulrich said:

Mahomes, Watson, Allen.

I wish Chris Johnson could hire Maccagnan again just so they could fire him. 

I'm telling you he could be a valuable tool for the Jets. Check this out....

JD hires Mike Macagnan as his draft assistant. With all the fan fare and every else. You make BELIEVE he's going to have as much say as JD.

Once he's in the building, he makes his decisions on player contracts and players that should be drafted. Then, when he shows them to Joe, Joe knows exactly who NOT to draft and he should do the exact opposite when it comes to player contracts. It would serve as an excellent safeguard against returning the Jets to the gutter! LOl

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's nice.  No other team in the league will have a 10+ year playoff drought once the Browns clinch a playoff spot this week.

The Bills are currently in the right direction but they went 18 years without making the playoffs and it’s been a quarter of a century since they’ve won a playoff game. This is not is defense of the recent Jets ineptitude but other teams have suffered similarly. It’s easy to have 20/20 hindsight with draft picks.

8 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Bills are currently in the right direction but they went 18 years without making the playoffs and it’s been a quarter of a century since they’ve won a playoff game. This is not is defense of the recent Jets ineptitude but other teams have suffered similarly. It’s easy to have 20/20 hindsight with draft picks.

In the hear and now, we are clearly the worst team in the NFL. We are perhaps the worst team in all Pro-Sports. It’s close between the Jets and the 1976 Buc’s for the worst team of all time.