Jets could have drafted all 3 AFC Pro Bowl QBs

Let's face it. If the Jets drafted Allen, he would be total garbage right now.  Allen and Darnold were pretty even their rookie seasons, then the Jets went south and the Bills built a team with a real coach.  Switch places and Darnold is a golden boy and Allen is a mess.  Just sayin' Darnold is a victim, not the cause.  That said, I think he is ruined here and its time to move on. The lesson is that the Jets need to bring along the next QB the right way - with an OL, receivers, and a coach who can coach.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Let's face it. If the Jets drafted Allen, he would be total garbage right now.  Allen and Darnold were pretty even their rookie seasons, then the Jets went south and the Bills built a team with a real coach.  Switch places and Darnold is a golden boy and Allen is a mess.  Just sayin' Darnold is a victim, not the cause.  That said, I think he is ruined here and its time to move on. The lesson is that the Jets need to bring along the next QB the right way - with an OL, receivers, and a coach who can coach.  

I refuse to believe that no matter who we draft we are predestined for the same result.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I actually thought Darnold looked better his rookie year and they were pretty close last year. Obviously this season Allen has emerged into a stud and Darnold likely played himself out of a job. 

41 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Let's face it. If the Jets drafted Allen, he would be total garbage right now.  

Sam doesn't have 1/10th the arm talent that Allen possesses...

Josh Allen with his cannon for a rocket arm would've turned Robby Anderson into an absolute NFL superstar (Sam didn't have the arm strength to utilize Robby's natural ability). 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jgb said:

I refuse to believe that no matter who we draft we are predestined for the same result.

I agree with your overall point (for example, both Watson and Mahomes would be studs for us, as bad as we are), however in terms of Allen i do feel like had he come to us he'd have been trash. 

Whereas the Bills purposely built schemes and the roster at each stage of his development to suit his talents/hide his weaknesses, all the while coaching him and improving them flaws, we have done nothing of that with Darnold. 

If we had got the raw Josh Allen with shaky accuracy Mac wouldn't have changed his drafting/FA signings at all, and we would have still signed Gase, and we'd be in the same mess. 

Allen is amazing now, he is outstanding, but he was a project coming out and the Bills handled him perfectly. We would have made an absolute pigs ear of it. 

FWIW I feel the same about Lamar Jackson - we'd have tried to turn him into a traditional drop-back pocket passer and not done anything to build an offense around his rushing skills. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Elite QB's aren't victims they take control of their destiny.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, morny said:

I agree with your overall point (for example, both Watson and Mahomes would be studs for us, as bad as we are), however in terms of Allen i do feel like had he come to us he'd have been trash. 

Whereas the Bills purposely built schemes and the roster at each stage of his development to suit his talents/hide his weaknesses, all the while coaching him and improving them flaws, we have done nothing of that with Darnold. 

If we had got the raw Josh Allen with shaky accuracy Mac wouldn't have changed his drafting/FA signings at all, and we would have still signed Gase, and we'd be in the same mess. 

Allen is amazing now, he is outstanding, but he was a project coming out and the Bills handled him perfectly. We would have made an absolute pigs ear of it. 

FWIW I feel the same about Lamar Jackson - we'd have tried to turn him into a traditional drop-back pocket passer and not done anything to build an offense around his rushing skills. 

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. Jets certainly haven't won any awards for QB development.

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Elite QB's aren't victims they take control of their destiny.  

Yep. FQBs make their own weaponzzz, not the other way around. Austin Collie was on pace for 1,400 yards and 14 TDs with Manning in 2010, before he got hurt. After that year, 600 yards and 1 TDs for the remainder of his career.

Obviously better weaponz are better, always. But if a QB is worst-in-the-league level for three straight years, no weaponzzz in the world are gonna make him a good QB.

• Upvote 1

Watson was the fish that got away. How Macc decided that he had his QB in Hackenberg & passed on Watson for a damn box safety will be viewed as a cautionary tale for every GM going forward! 
And the most painful part was if you did a poll on this site with real Jet fans Watson would have been the pick by a LANDSLIDE & none of us get PAID to make these decisions. 
That one really hurts because of the draft capital that had to be wasted to move up to #3 in 2018. Just Painful. 
A lot of coaches would take this job with Watson here. Very good QB & even a better person. Total swing & miss.

Plus Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson.

Plus perhaps Aaron Rodgers, if we'd traded up slightly rather than traded down for Doug Jolley.

And he certainly doesn't count as a great or maybe even very good QB, but certainly Matt Ryan over Vernon Gholston would have been better, no?  Just one meaningless win cost us even that.  

The list of solid or HOF QB's this franchise could have realistically drafted grows by the day.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Plus Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson.

Plus perhaps Aaron Rodgers, if we'd traded up slightly rather than traded down for Doug Jolley.

And he certainly doesn't count as a great or maybe even very good QB, but certainly Matt Ryan over Vernon Gholston would have been better, no?  Just one meaningless win cost us even that.  

The list of solid or HOF QB's this franchise could have realistically drafted grows by the day.

gross dumb and dumber GIF

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, nyjunc said:

We also could have stayed Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Tom Brady,...

i think i'd leave rice off that list.  didn't they draft toon instead?  imo toon was every bit as good of a receiver as rice except he got clobbered making those catches over the middle.

the thing about these qbs the jets had a chance at is that at least 3, mahommes, allen, wilson, went to teams that were getting established or ascending.  watson went to a team that was plateauing.  had these guys gone to the jets they would have been on a team in decline.  remember maccagnan was still stocking the shelves.  timing is everything.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:05 AM, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Dude - are we really going to play the "We could have drafted....." game at this point in the history of the franchise? I think the issue of who we've missed out on has been covered Ad nauseam

Well the list keeps growing...

The people saying if we drafted Allen, he would be trash are actually correct....

I stand correct, and agree with them. Most of what Allen is doing is due to

1) Supremely talented team

2) Great coaching

3) Play calling

We have none of these 3 things hahaha. Therefore, Allen would be a bust here. He was borderline bust until this year when they hauled in some talent. Put Sam in BUF, I would argue BUF would be better, cause Sam is a better pure QB than Allen......Yes.....I said that.......

Now, Lamar, Hurts, Watson, or Mahomes would still be solid, because they are supremely talented athletes. I mean, Lamar does not really have a stacked team, nor does Hurts. We seen how bad Philly was with Wentz in there, but they look day and night with Hurts.

The best current QBs, are athletic guys with Brees, Ben, and Brady on the decline. This is why Fields and Trevor makes sense to the Jets, because athletic QBs can mend a bad OL. They can mend WRs ability to get open by extending plays. They can mend a lack of running game, etc, etc.