Looks like Jetnation is split down the middle

Jetster

Reading these threads it looks like it's about 50/50 between the build the best Oline in football or take another wild swing at a QB. I know there are the trade down group but let's just say no one wants to give up the capital JD would want to move back. I can tell you having another Division foe (Miami) right between a trade back isn't optimal either. 

Take a stab at a QB to sit on the bench? No way we're keeping Darnold if we take a QB at #2. JD will sign a veteran. No free agent skill players are coming here in year 1 with a rookie starter. And no one is coming here to play with Flacco or some other retread aging QB.

Pretty wild offseason with so many differing views from fans & the media alike. This is where JD earns his money, these decisions will forge our future for the next decade. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Reading these threads it looks like it's about 50/50 between the build the best Oline in football or take another wild swing at a QB. I know there are the trade down group but let's just say no one wants to give up the capital JD would want to move back. I can tell you having another Division foe (Miami) right between a trade back isn't optimal either. 

Take a stab at a QB to sit on the bench? No way we're keeping Darnold if we take a QB at #2. JD will sign a veteran. No free agent skill players are coming here in year 1 with a rookie starter. And no one is coming here to play with Flacco or some other retread aging QB.

Pretty wild offseason with so many differing views from fans & the media alike. This is where JD earns his money, these decisions will forge our future for the next decade. 

Yeah pretty split which is fine.  Like I’ve mentioned before I’m fine whichever way JD decides to go.  If he wants to start over with a new QB I’m on aboard.  However I still am a believer in Sam.  Mostly because he has been out in an Awful situation.  I’ve never seen a young QB have such dreadful coaching, protection, or overall supporting cast as he has had to deal with.  I’m also fine with trading down since we can use as many assets as we can find to building the team.  Even if Adam isn’t the long term answer at least we will have a built in better team for the next WB

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, predator_05 said:

Jetnation is a microcosm of modern day America.

We must determine which posters are acting on behalf of vested interests. Which ones are independent, and which ones have become publicists for the Johnson empire?

No need to talk about the third brother like that SAR Johnson ?

• Haha 3

The tackle makes no sense 

we just added an elite tackle with higher upside than sewell

between FA and our other draft picks we are in position to develop a top flight OLine regardless 

taking Sewell is the macagnan move 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Right, because the 'trading down is as easy as dialing 1-800-madden' cult is not at all tiresome.

Lots of insight about the forum for a guy who signed up here at the end of August. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, the Church of the Holy Offensive Line has quite the pull on this forum. Joe Douglas isn't taking the tackle. It'll either be his favorite QB or the best offer he gets for the pick. 

Your take is simple and boring. And 100% correct. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Um... have you ever googled Joe Douglas

or are familiar with his career in anyway ?

if there is a church of the holy offensive line, JD is like the Pope 

I understand that you might not support this idea (king of the QB wild swing camp) 

we can go round and round until sundown but the draft is not what you or I want to have happen

it's 32 decision makers making guesses with imperfect knowledge about the future 

JD, given his history as an all state offensive lineman, a 4 year starter at Richmond etc. is probably going to think long and hard about the tackle. Whether you want him to or not. 

JD will mostly be in charge of the entire draft but much less so with the #2 pick. I actually think the pick will largely hinge on the new head coach.  If he wants QB at #2 as the focus of the rebuild that is what we will do.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Um... have you ever googled Joe Douglas

or are familiar with his career in anyway ?

if there is a church of the holy offensive line, JD is like the Pope 

I understand that you might not support this idea (king of the QB wild swing camp) 

we can go round and round until sundown but the draft is not what you or I want to have happen

it's 32 decision makers making guesses with imperfect knowledge about the future 

JD, given his history as an all state offensive lineman, a 4 year starter at Richmond etc. is probably going to think long and hard about the tackle. Whether you want him to or not. 

It's QB or trade down. That's it. He found his LT last year, taking one this year is Idzik and Mac doubling down on DTs all over again. He's not gonna do that. 

There are plenty of ways to address the OL with out the #2 pick in the draft, and that's what he's going to do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

It's QB or trade down. That's it. He found his LT last year, taking one this year is Idzik and Mac doubling down on DTs all over again. He's not gonna do that. 

There are plenty of ways to address the OL with out the #2 pick in the draft, and that's what he's going to do. 

If he picked Sewell, then I would expect Becton to be moved to the right side.

• Upvote 1

The funny part is most of us know we have to do both. Speaking for myself, I say Big ticket IS our LT. And you don’t draft RT that high. So, it’s QB or trade back. I trust Joe D to scout these guys up and find the other Franchise QB if there is one (I still say it’s Zach...but he’s the pro). If he doesn’t think there is one, you trade back and stockpile.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

JD will mostly be in charge of the entire draft but much less so with the #2 pick. I actually think the pick will largely hinge on the new head coach.  If he wants QB at #2 as the focus of the rebuild that is what we will do.

head coaches do not make draft picks 

general managers make draft picks

despite what living through the Rex Ryan era taught us 

JD is not going to let new HC make his 2 overall draft pick

it actually goes the other way  

at that point picking a QB becomes a decision the Johnsons have to sign off upon, because it's "face of the franchise" type stuff

JD can sell Woody on infrastructure. To say Fields is our guy, all of a sudden the Johnsons become very interested

they were hand held on the Sanchez and Darnold decisions, 2 is higher than 3 and 6 overall 

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Speaking for myself, I say Big ticket IS our LT. And you don’t draft RT that high

You don't draft an RT at 2 I can see that argument 

but Becton gave up 11 sacks this year and way better at run blocking

he missed 2 games this year, didn't actually make the Pro Bowl despite fan votes and was picked 11 overall 

maybe he's the RT making 18 mil Trent Brown money 

David Bakthiari level LT is still a need  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

head coaches do not make draft picks 

general managers make draft picks

despite what living through the Rex Ryan era taught us 

JD is not going to let new HC make his 2 overall draft pick

it actually goes the other way  

at that point picking a QB becomes a decision the Johnsons have to sign off upon, because it's "face of the franchise" type stuff

Under Tanny, Rex made all of the Jets 1st round draft picks, including half dozen 1st round defensive picks and one for offense (Sanchez, whom he loved).. Idzik might have allowed him to do so as well.  

So on the Jets, it has NOT been true that GM has made all the picks.  

Just now, Dcat said:

Under Tanny, Rex made all of the Jets 1st round draft picks, including 7 1st round defensive picks and one for offense (Sanchez, whom he loved).. Idzik might have allowed him to do so as well.  

So on the Jets, it has NOT been true that GM has made all the picks.  

yeah dude - i said as much 

tanny was Rex's B word 

Rex is the exception that proves the rule (and also why it's a bad idea to let coaches pick players, see Bill Parcells)

JD is not going to bring in a HC and immediately cede draft control 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

You don't draft an RT at 2 I can see that argument 
but Becton gave up 11 sacks this year and way better at run blocking
maybe he's the RT
maybe LT is still a need  

Fair. I just see a kid who did really well and held his own against some really big name edge rushers without the benefit of a full training camp or any preseason. He’ll get that camp this year (we hope) and he’ll get the OTAs. More importantly, I am not telling this kid off this season that he’s getting pushed over to RT. Not doing it. Sewell may be that generational OT. Maybe. I happen to think we have a pretty damn good one already. And while the line needs more help for sure, I don’t think you address that at 2.
  • Sympathy 3

6 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

If he picked Sewell, then I would expect Becton to be moved to the right side.

You're still basically upgrading the RT with the #2 pick in the draft, which is a terrible use of such a valuable commodity. Also puts you in a position where you have to trade one or watch him walk a few years down the road, because they won't be able to sign both. 

It's not happening. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yeah dude - i said as much 

tanny was Rex's B word 

Rex is the exception that proves the rule (and also why it's a bad idea to let coaches pick players, see Bill Parcells)

JD is not going to bring in a HC and immediately cede draft control 

There is a lot of time between the time Gase is shown the door and when we draft. I think we will have a new HC in place by the end of Jan.. The new HC will give JD his input on the draft class as well as Sam. If JD doesn't  care about what the new HC thinks, we will probably have another  new HC in 2024. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Usually I find myself agreeing with bitonti about as often as I agree with SAR (which is to say, never, ever...), but I have to agree with him on this. JD has a history that says Oline first, everything else second. And what the "trade down" posters seem to forget is that you need a trade partner to trade down. I'm no draft expert but I just don't see the can't miss candidates that would get someone to trade up other than Lawrence and Sewell. Just don't see the big demand for any of the other QB's.

I don't think JD is going to draft a QB at #2, and that he will trade down IF, and only if, he gets an offer he thinks is worth it. This may or may not happen, but if he doesn't get an offer he likes, I think he takes Sewell at #2.

Just my $0.02; I've been wrong before...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

You're still basically upgrading the RT with the #2 pick in the draft, which is a terrible use of such a valuable commodity. Also puts you in a position where you have to trade one or watch him walk a few years down the road, because they won't be able to sign both. 

It's not happening. 

the Jets, having no assets under contract whatsoever, could easily draft 5 Offensive line first rounders and be able to sign them all in 2026 when the cap is 300 million 

the Saints are 80 mil over and they are going to field a fantastic team next season 

Jets are 100 mil under and fans are worried about signing Penei Sewell in 2026

even if all that is false, trading an all pro for a boat load of draft picks is a very Jets outcome

why is that so hard to believe it's pretty much what they've done to everyone except Quincy Enunwa 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

Lots of insight about the forum for a guy who signed up here at the end of August. 

I think the Jets should take a quarterback and I think teams should generally be willing to move down for less than they typically charge. But if they're not taking a quarterback and it is true that there is clear consensus on Sewell as the best non-QB prospect, redundancy with Becton shouldn't be a driving consideration as to the price. You can always stay put for a left tackle, X receiver, boundary corner, or pass rusher.

As far as maximizing the value already on the roster, stuff like giving Mims and Hall a shot to stick at WR2/CB2 is more important than keeping Becton at OT1.

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There is a lot of time between the time Gase is shown the door and when we draft. I think we will have a new HC in place by the end of Jan.. The new HC will give JD his input on the draft class as well as Sam. If JD doesn't  care about what the new HC thinks, we will probably have another  new HC in 2024

All indications are that JD will hire the next HC. If so, they will undoubtedly agree on the draft strategy, or why would JD hire him?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Unlike others who are enjoying making very definitive statements "JD WILL..." or "JD WON'T...", I don't know what J.D. will do.

But he has options, and that is the best thing.  He can do many things, he has the cap space, he has the draft picks, he has a draft where a trade down might in fact be possible.

I like having options.  J.D.'s future will likely be based on what he does THIS offseason, at Head Coach, at starting QB, and in rebuilding this roster.

Alot of pressure, but at least we have alot of options.

Personally, I like the idea of either the O-lineman (risky as hell tho he is, given the year off) or a trade down for more picks.  I'm unsold on the QB's as being worth #2 pick or them being legit franhcise QB prospects.  But it's a looooooong way to go, plenty of time for one or the other to win me over.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Lol, the Church of the Holy Offensive Line has quite the pull on this forum. Joe Douglas isn't taking the tackle. It'll either be his favorite QB or the best offer he gets for the pick. 

We have a crap ton of draft picks, thats why JD might just take Sewell.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, viffer said:

Usually I find myself agreeing with bitonti about as often as I agree with SAR (which is to say, never, ever...), but I have to agree with him on this. JD has a history that says Oline first, everything else second. And what the "trade down" posters seem to forget is that you need a trade partner to trade down. I'm no draft expert but I just don't see the can't miss candidates that would get someone to trade up other than Lawrence and Sewell. Just don't see the big demand for any of the other QB's.

I don't think JD is going to draft a QB at #2, and that he will trade down IF, and only if, he gets an offer he thinks is worth it. This may or may not happen, but if he doesn't get an offer he likes, I think he takes Sewell at #2.

Just my $0.02; I've been wrong before...

You picked a bad time to agree with Bit. 

The QBs always rise, and Sewell is currently getting the "best non-QB in the draft," status. There will teams in love with a QB, and probably one or two willing to trade up for the OT, too. Trades will be available if JD doesn't love one of the QBs enough to take them at #2. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets, having no assets under contract whatsoever, could easily draft 5 Offensive line first rounders and be able to sign them all in 2026 when the cap is 300 million 

the Saints are 80 mil over and they are going to field a fantastic team next season 

Jets are 100 mil under and fans are worried about signing Penei Sewell in 2026

even if all that is false, trading an all pro for a boat load of draft picks is a very Jets outcome

why is that so hard to believe it's pretty much what they've done to everyone except Quincy Enunwa 

Ain't happening.