Looks like Jetnation is split down the middle

Jetster

34 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Dolphins have a lot of draft capital. this is a deep OT draft.  They'll take OL later.   IMO they will go Fields/ Wilson at 3.

Douglas better get this right, or the Jets are going to be a continuing mess for years to come

You really think the Fins will give up on Tua that quickly? I keep hearing they might, and where there’s smoke there’s fire. IMO though that would be way too quick. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

You don't draft an RT at 2 I can see that argument 

but Becton gave up 11 sacks this year and way better at run blocking

he missed 2 games this year, didn't actually make the Pro Bowl despite fan votes and was picked 11 overall 

maybe he's the RT making 18 mil Trent Brown money 

David Bakthiari level LT is still a need  

I agree that he is a better run blocker than pass blocker, but where are you getting the 11 sacks from.  PFF shows him as having given up 7.

image.png.fa9426109b79e42c71ce81715718c84f.png

11 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

You really think the Fins will give up on Tua that quickly? I keep hearing they might, and where there’s smoke there’s fire. IMO though that would be way too quick. 

Yeah I do. 

Being on the edge of the Fish media influence I'm exposed to a lot of Dolphins stuff.  They seem to be very well coached, have a talented team, and a lot of draft capital.  They have given Tua every chance this year.  I'm not saying the guy is a total bust, he's won some games this year with a good team. but he just can't push the ball upfield.  He was benched last game for Fitz, who came in and won the game.

IMO if they like Wilson/Fields better then Tua, and I think they will, they'll take one

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Reading these threads it looks like it's about 50/50 between the build the best Oline in football or take another wild swing at a QB. I know there are the trade down group but let's just say no one wants to give up the capital JD would want to move back. I can tell you having another Division foe (Miami) right between a trade back isn't optimal either. 

Take a stab at a QB to sit on the bench? No way we're keeping Darnold if we take a QB at #2. JD will sign a veteran. No free agent skill players are coming here in year 1 with a rookie starter. And no one is coming here to play with Flacco or some other retread aging QB.

Pretty wild offseason with so many differing views from fans & the media alike. This is where JD earns his money, these decisions will forge our future for the next decade. 

if jd does his job then it won't be such a wild swing on a qb or any drafted player.  imo they should be able to get their qb and upgrade the oline this draft without too much trouble.  and this even opens up the door to darnold being the qb for next season or even morgan.

If this Draft goes QB, QB and then Miami gets to pick Sewell it will be tough to watch.  But I think that's what could happen.  Penei Sewell is the perfect pick for Miami after trading Laremy Tunsil to Houston.  A protector for their young QB with an injury history would be a home run for them.  I'll vomit.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Dolphins have a lot of draft capital. this is a deep OT draft.  They'll take OL later.   IMO they will go Fields/ Wilson at 3.

Douglas better get this right, or the Jets are going to be a continuing mess for years to come

I would be completely shocked if they threw in the towel this early on Tua.  He didn't even play a full season, they brought him along slowly while having Fitzpatrick.  And to give up on Tua while taking a swing at Fields or Wilson who seem to be less of a sure thing than Tua doesn't make sense to me.  Now, if Miami had landed at #1 overall I think they'd take Lawrence and likely trade Tua for a late 1st or early 2nd.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If this Draft goes QB, QB and then Miami gets to pick Sewell it will be tough to watch.  But I think that's what could happen.  Penei Sewell is the perfect pick for Miami after trading Laremy Tunsil to Houston.  A protector for their young QB with an injury history would be a home run for them.  I'll vomit.

But, we have to make our pick based on what is best for our team.  If that means going QB and letting Sewell drop to Miami, so be it.  If we pick Sewell because he is the best option for our team, that is fine too.

Cannot let what MIami may or may not do influence our pick.

• Upvote 1

Put me 100% squarely in the build the OL camp. The Jets already have an excellent QB in waiting in San Darnold. The only way they can take advantage of Darnold as a QB is for the Jets, as an organization, to start to do their fcuking jobs for once. They must stop drafting one player because enough people on another organization think they're good meanwhile having absolutely no idea how to draft a supporting cast. They have to build a talented roster and not the fukcing garbage they've out together for the last decade.

And lastly, if the Jets draft a QB it's like them officially admitting they're a bunch of sh*theads that fukced over Sam Darnold out of pure 100% incompetence.

I am adamant about building a great oline, that does not mean I want to pick Sewel.  Trade down, and prioritize the best OG and C you can find in the draft.

Trading down makes the most sense (unless of course the front office really loves a QB, then you simply take the QB and try and trade darnold)

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

But, we have to make our pick based on what is best for our team.  If that means going QB and letting Sewell drop to Miami, so be it.  If we pick Sewell because he is the best option for our team, that is fine too.

Cannot let what MIami may or may not do influence our pick.

Oh, I agree 100%.  I just said it would be tough to watch and that I'd vomit. :D  Which I likely will. lol

Now, if the Jets pulled off some kind of trade back with a team like Cincy who took Sewell, that would present some decent options for the Jets at #5, particularly if they weren't planning to go with a QB.  I think the Draft would go Lawrence, Sewell, (I don't know who Miami would take but I don't think it would be a QB), Atlanta takes Fields or Wilson, then the Jets at #5 could still take a QB or possibly the best WR in the Draft (Chase, Smith).

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I would be completely shocked if they threw in the towel this early on Tua.  He didn't even play a full season, they brought him along slowly while having Fitzpatrick.  And to give up on Tua while taking a swing at Fields or Wilson who seem to be less of a sure thing than Tua doesn't make sense to me.  Now, if Miami had landed at #1 overall I think they'd take Lawrence and likely trade Tua for a late 1st or early 2nd.

We'll see.   i really haven't been overly impressed with Tua.  I don't think they are either. His upfield ball is VERY suspect.

The Fish are a pretty good team with lots of draft picks.  They probably won't be in a position to draft a top QB for a very long time.    I think the Fish are now a well run team. I feel pretty strongly they will attempt to insure their QB situation while they have the chance.

I guess we disagree on how strong this QB class is up top.  IMO this is a very strong class with 4 QB's possibly being picked in the top 10-12. IMO all 4 are upgrades over Tua who I was never sold on.  It's suicide for a GM to pass on a good QB when his team needs one.  Our disagreement will take a few years to figure out.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Oh, I agree 100%.  I just said it would be tough to watch and that I'd vomit. :D  Which I likely will. lol

Now, if the Jets pulled off some kind of trade back with a team like Cincy who took Sewell, that would present some decent options for the Jets at #5, particularly if they weren't planning to go with a QB.  I think the Draft would go Lawrence, Sewell, (I don't know who Miami would take but I don't think it would be a QB), Atlanta takes Fields or Wilson, then the Jets at #5 could still take a QB or possibly the best WR in the Draft (Chase, Smith).

If we don't like the QBs, then I am all over a trade back with Cincy.  If we like one of the QBs, then don't risk it.  Stay at 2 and take our choice of the QBs not named Trevor Lawrence.  If we really like either FIelds or Wilson, just take the guy and don't get cute.  We have plenty of draft capital (and cap space) to still build around our guy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Trade down.

If we can’t, depending on what happens in FA, I say go WR.

I like the options along the OL around the Seattle pick more than I like the WRs.

Chase + Slater/Cosmi/Vera-Tucker/Humphrey/Smith > Sewell + Moore/Toney/Olave

I would definitely want Sewell + Toney in that scenario! Toney is a STUD! 

3 hours ago, slats said:

You picked a bad time to agree with Bit. 

The QBs always rise, and Sewell is currently getting the "best non-QB in the draft," status. There will teams in love with a QB, and probably one or two willing to trade up for the OT, too. Trades will be available if JD doesn't love one of the QBs enough to take them at #2. 

If there are teams willing to trade up for Penei Sewell based on what it would cost them in draft capital in a low total cap year, you run up to the podium, card in hand so Goodell can announce with the 2nd overall pick in the 2021 draft, the New York Jets Select Penei Sewell, Tackle Oregon! 

If he was in last years draft, he would have been the 1st player off the board after Burrow & Chase Young. 

3 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

If I am Douglas, I spend the next 3 months convincing everyone I am taking Sewell, whether he will or not.   Best trade-down is with Cincinatti at 3.  They desperately need Sewell.  Even if we just get their second rounder or a third rounder.  At 3, you take Chase or a QB.  If you don't love either, there will definitely be options to move down to 4 or 5.  Darnold absolutely needs a bonafide playmaker this offseason.  Chase, Mims, and Crowder would give no excuses next year in what is likely to be a one year prove-it moment for Darnold.  Bring in a legitimate QB vet for legitimate competition, and/or take a prospect at the bottom of the first, early second.  I would actually favor resigning Flacco... I think there's gas in the tank.

This is the only trade down I accept! Bengals #35 & their #4 this year or #35 & their #2 next year. I'm not going below Miami! You take what turns out to be the concensus best WR in the draft! And hopefully, it's the guy Miami wanted! 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Oh great.  The jets never get pass rush to begin with now we get to face Sewell pancaking our OLBs and DEs next 10-15 years

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am adamant about building a great oline, that does not mean I want to pick Sewel.  Trade down, and prioritize the best OG and C you can find in the draft.

Trading down makes the most sense (unless of course the front office really loves a QB, then you simply take the QB and try and trade darnold)

Trey Smith in the 1st. Cade Mays in the 3rd. New LG and RG. Im all smiles.

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If there are teams willing to trade up for Penei Sewell based on what it would cost them in draft capital in a low total cap year, you run up to the podium, card in hand so Goodell can announce with the 2nd overall pick in the 2021 draft, the New York Jets Select Penei Sewell, Tackle Oregon! 

If he was in last years draft, he would have been the 1st player off the board after Burrow & Chase Young. 

Not happening. 

If it was a Bosa level edge, maybe. As it stands, it’s QB or trade down. Sorry (not sorry). 

But don’t worry, JD isn’t done on the OL. He’s just gonna be smart enough not to burn the #2 on it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Oh great.  The jets never get pass rush to begin with now we get to face Sewell pancaking our OLBs and DEs next 10-15 years

I love the trade back guys too. Watch us trade back with Bengals, Jets want Wilson, Bengals go Sewell, Miami stuns everyone & takes a QB (Fields or Wilson), Falcons take Whoever Miami doesn't take at QB, finally moving on from Ryan. 

Jets get left holding their d*ck where they have to take best WR available but probably could draft someone just as good with Seattles pick or #35 where many, many, many, top WRs have been drafted! 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetster said:

I love the trade back guys too. Watch us trade back with Bengals, Jets want Wilson, Bengals go Sewell, Miami stuns everyone & takes a QB (Fields or Wilson), Falcons take Whoever Miami doesn't take at QB, finally moving on from Ryan. 

Jets get left holding their d*ck where they have to take best WR available but probably could draft someone just as good with Seattles pick or #35 where many, many, many, top WRs have been drafted! 

No you can simply trade down at will remember?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

No you can simply trade down at will remember?

Miami slipping between Cincy & us really sucks! Best case scenario was when Cincy was at #3 right behind us! You know Cincy wants Sewell for their young already injured QB.

4 hours ago, QB1 said:

The tackle makes no sense 

we just added an elite tackle with higher upside than sewell

between FA and our other draft picks we are in position to develop a top flight OLine regardless 

taking Sewell is the macagnan move 

Sewell was the Outland trophy winner in 2019. Not Becton. Sewell is guaranteed to go top 5. Becton was taken at 11.  There’s just no way you can make a blanked statement saying Becton is the better LT. Not putting Becton down. It just seems many are overlooking Sewell’s stock. If you could have your choice of either, who would you take? You could actually take Sewell and trade Becton to a desperate Cincy team in need of a LT and get a haul. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

If I am Douglas, I spend the next 3 months convincing everyone I am taking Sewell, whether he will or not.   Best trade-down is with Cincinatti at 3.  They desperately need Sewell.  Even if we just get their second rounder or a third rounder.  At 3, you take Chase or a QB.  If you don't love either, there will definitely be options to move down to 4 or 5.  Darnold absolutely needs a bonafide playmaker this offseason.  Chase, Mims, and Crowder would give no excuses next year in what is likely to be a one year prove-it moment for Darnold.  Bring in a legitimate QB vet for legitimate competition, and/or take a prospect at the bottom of the first, early second.  I would actually favor resigning Flacco... I think there's gas in the tank.

you know what would be funny. if Cin trades picks with the Jets and gives them a 3rd rd pic to move up a spot, then trades the 2nd pick to Mia for 2 #1s so Mia could beat the Jets and  pick a QB. 

seriously, i dont see Cin giving up a extra draft pick to move ONE SPOT. in case you havent notice, they suck too. they need there picks.

and if they stay at 3 they are guaranteed the best or 2nd best non QB in the draft. and keeps all there picks.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

head coaches do not make draft picks 

general managers make draft picks

despite what living through the Rex Ryan era taught us 

JD is not going to let new HC make his 2 overall draft pick

it actually goes the other way  

at that point picking a QB becomes a decision the Johnsons have to sign off upon, because it's "face of the franchise" type stuff

JD can sell Woody on infrastructure. To say Fields is our guy, all of a sudden the Johnsons become very interested

they were hand held on the Sanchez and Darnold decisions, 2 is higher than 3 and 6 overall 

Well it is true that JD has the largest vote, you are completely delusional if you think draft picks especially the first draft pick are not group decisions. Both Polian and Kirwan have talked many times about how important it is to pick players that fit the system and what the head coach wants. In terms of QB if the head coach says that I want Fields, than unless JD has a gigantic opposition to Fields we will go that way. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Not happening. 

If it was a Bosa level edge, maybe. As it stands, it’s QB or trade down. Sorry (not sorry). 

But don’t worry, JD isn’t done on the OL. He’s just gonna be smart enough not to burn the #2 on it. 

Slats you may be dead on with this, but I think something to keep in mind is Sewell just might be too good to pass up. Kiper: ( I know )” He’s a plug-and-play left tackle in the mold of Orlando Pace, Walter Jones and Anthony Munoz. Yes, I’m saying he’s a Hall of Fame talent, and he’d be in the running for the No. 1 overall pick in most other drafts.

If Douglas can’t find a trade partner and doesn’t love the QB’s, do you really think he can pass on Sewell?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

That would be the safe thing to do...and unfortunately, playing it safe has killed more GM's than ones who had the balls to take a chance.

Is it though? Unless JD can conjure up a pro bowl QB through some other avenue than the #2 overall pick in the draft, Jets ain’t winning a championship anytime soon.