1-1-2021: The Official NCAA College Football Game Thread (New Years Day Playoffs special)

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

I feel Wilson is too skinny.  No way he survives that hit Fields took.

I’d agree, my point is that Wilson is a dual threat as well and both fields and Wilson bring the Jets into a contemporary offense with those skills. But yes, Wilson takes that hit differently.

1 minute ago, usanyj said:

I’d agree, my point is that Wilson is a dual threat as well and both fields and Wilson bring the Jets into a contemporary offense with those skills. But yes, Wilson takes that hit differently.

Wilson is NOT a dual threat in the NFL, please stop with that.

8 minutes ago, King P said:

I can't speak for @Paradis, but I think he means we'd be breaking away from the tradition style of QB play and go with the contemporary style (dual threat, RPO QBs), which we haven't really seen yet from the Jets. 

yea... i didnt want to get pulled into a profiling conversation - but I was referring to a QB who is also a dynamic athlete and can really make use of some RPO packages. NFL offensives have evolved alot in the last 10 years and we've been largely limited in that capacity

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, King P said:

I can't speak for @Paradis, but I think he means we'd be breaking away from the tradition style of QB play and go with the contemporary style (dual threat, RPO QBs), which we haven't really seen yet from the Jets. 

Outside of the 2 dinosaurs playing in Tampa and New Orleans, all the other top QBs are dual threats. Its about time we break away from the traditional QB, even though you can argue Darnold and even Geno were mobile QBs. Even Fitz had some wheels, but I get your point.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Totally agree.  JN posters being upset is certainly better than the Jets succeeding.

Your opinion doesn't matter and neither does mine.  We'll see what JD thinks in a couple months.  I'm sure he'll have watched more than just tonight's game and give serious thought as to whether Fields would have looked that good passing to Berrios and Jeff Smith with Frank Gore in the backfield all while under constant duress. 

Oh and under the tutelage of the worst coach in the NFL.

58 minutes ago, usanyj said:

It’s an interesting question. He’s going to a team with very little talent and will be trailing often. Can’t replicate how someone responses to that until they are in it, obviously, clemson doesn’t offer that situation.

The Jaguars are actually very talented at the skill positions except for TE

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It clearly wasn’t Lawrence’s best game but I don’t think he played poorly or that you put the loss on him. Aside from how dominated Clemson was by the OSU O line, Fields and Sermon, the real difference in the game was Clemsons inability to run the ball. 22 rushes for 44 yards!!

You sure Lawrence didn't hold the ball too long or wasn't able to process fast enough. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Fields looks like a Russel Wilson to me.  

I was just picking from memory who both of these quarterbacks reminded me of.

Lawrence reminded me very much of Chad Pennington a lot of short throws, his arm looks average to me. Great leader smart kid obviously has better Wheels than Pennington did.

Watching Fields I didn't compare him to any other black quarterbacks that the other moron on this board suggested. His throwing motion and how he runs reminded me of Warren Moon. I saw a pure pocket passer who can run like a gazelle. The kid has patience in the pocket and poise. He showed attitude and toughness. I stated in a post a few weeks ago that when I check out the highlights I also check out their interviews.

I would take him number two overall pick no questions asked ....just keep it quiet lol.

I hope the Jaguars don't take Trevor Lawrence!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I was just picking from memory who both of these quarterbacks reminded me of.

Lawrence reminded me very much of Chad Pennington a lot of short throws, his arm looks average to me. Great leader smart kid obviously has better Wheels than Pennington did.

Watching Fields I didn't compare him to any other black quarterbacks that the other moron on this board suggested. His throwing motion and how he runs reminded me of Warren Moon. I saw a pure pocket passer who can run like a gazelle. The kid has patience in the pocket and poise. He showed attitude and toughness. I stated in a post a few weeks ago that when I check out the highlights I also check out their interviews.

I would take him number two overall pick no questions asked ....just keep it quiet lol.

I hope the Jaguars don't take Trevor Lawrence!

Warren Moon is actually a very faithful comparison. I bet their games would look much closer had Warren not played in an era where coaches were hell bent on making guys try to stand like statues in the pocket.

44 minutes ago, Pac said:

Your opinion doesn't matter and neither does mine.  We'll see what JD thinks in a couple months.  I'm sure he'll have watched more than just tonight's game and give serious thought as to whether Fields would have looked that good passing to Berrios and Jeff Smith with Frank Gore in the backfield all while under constant duress. 

If we’re keeping gase well there is no hope at that point. Also you are assuming that talking fields precludes adding any talent to the roster. We have another first round pick and free agency to help continue building up the roster. 

45 minutes ago, Paradis said:

yea... i didnt want to get pulled into a profiling conversation - but I was referring to a QB who is also a dynamic athlete and can really make use of some RPO packages. NFL offensives have evolved alot in the last 10 years and we've been largely limited in that capacity

RPO, I'd rather not, not consistently at least. Fields doesn't need to be exposed to big hits by design. I do like that the kid can rifle a pass with accuracy and can run effectively when needed. I like a QB who teams have to worry about passing all over them while accepting that he can and will take off for 20 yards very much like Mahomes (who is plenty dynamic while playing as a pass first run when it's there guy).   

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

RPO, I'd rather not, not consistently at least. Fields doesn't need to be exposed to big hits by design. I do like that the kid can rifle a pass with accuracy and can run effectively when needed. I like a QB who teams have to worry about passing all over them while accepting that he can and will take off for 20 yards very much like Mahomes (who is plenty dynamic while playing as a pass first run when it's there guy).   

I understand. It's not something we need to do often, but there are those particular down and distances and situation game moments where it can do a lot for us... I liken Fields to Newton in that respect, more so than a guy like Lamar.

Just now, Paradis said:

I understand. It's not something we need to do often, but there are those particular down and distances and situation game moments where it can do a lot for us... I liken Fields to Newton in that respect, more so than a guy like Lamar.

I get it. It's an added dimension to prepare for. Please don't compare fields to Newton in any respect, at least not tonight, it'll kill my buzz.

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You sure Lawrence didn't hold the ball too long or wasn't able to process fast enough. 

I kept thinking the same (assuming this is a sharp sarcastic reference to how people talk about Sam). No QBs play well on their backs. Not even generational talents. 

Even Etienne and his receivers were totally overwhelmed by OSU tonight. Those dudes wanted this game real bad and it showed.

After tonight we are in a really interesting situation - assuming Fields doesn't stink it up against Bama - those trade opps for #2 will be real and JD (and future HC) will have some big choices to make. We might be able to trade down and still get Wilson too or vice versa depending how the eval process goes. 

It's sad that the Draft keeps feeling like our Superbowl... But at least it's something to look forward to.

5 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Like i said it was not his best game, but it is not like he played poorly like Fields did against Indiana and Northwestern. It’s one game. It provides more information to evaluate both QBs, but it is still just one game.

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Pac said:

It’s not about whether Fields or any other QB would look “that good” in the Jets current situation.  It’s whether they’d look better than the worst QB in the NFL (observable and measurable) and irrelevant to JN’s “worst coach in the NFL” (unobservable and immeasurable).