Shotty in the mix!

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

I've always thought that Schotty has the personality to be an effective CEO type HC if he is prepared to hand over play-calling to a good OC.

He will be a good HC for someone - but I doubt it's with us. Too much history and baggage with the team.

I agree with this 100%

And I also believe that had Schotty been the HC with Rex being the DC we go further and do better!

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What a terrible hire that would be. He failed to develop Sanchez, and then failed to develop Bradford. He's having success calling plays for Russel Wilson's offense. Something built long before he got there. 

No thanks. Hard pass. 

Yeah but what about all the success Adam Gase and Josh McDaniels have had?

Just now, Bronx said:

Time to move on from failed experiments and have a fresh start. We are getting Ravens DC or Bills OC as our next coach. 

Daboll and Roman know how dysfunctional the Johnsons are and will have other offers

I think Harbaugh may have been interested in us when negotiations weren’t going well with Michigan and it looked like TL was coming.  Not a coincidence Michigan fires his DC and let’s him pick the his replacement the week after we upset the Rams 

im really worried Schotty is the next HC

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Please bring in an OC who has overachieved without a HOF-level QB.

Well let’s be fair the people who know everything have been arguing that Wilson is a JAG boosted by a great running game the last 8’years so maybe Schotty is a genius after all

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What a terrible hire that would be. He failed to develop Sanchez, and then failed to develop Bradford. He's having success calling plays for Russel Wilson's offense. Something built long before he got there. 

No thanks. Hard pass. 

That was like when Gase helped Manning so much.

For another team this would be a good hire but with our fanbase that unfairly hated him it would be a PR disaster.  

He did a very good job here as OC, he's been groomed to be a HC for a long time managing subpart QB rooms and many stuff crazy personalities- great qualities did a HC.  He'd be a good hire but unfortunately not a real candidate here.

20 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

No thanks. Hard pass. 

This is kind of bullsh*t.  Sznchez went from almost serviceable to complete trash after he left.  He certainly didn't fail to develop Bradford who was kind of eh his first couple of years and was having an excellent 2013 when he blew his knee out.  He blew his knee out again preseason the following year.  Schottenheimer had him at 14/4 TD/INT when he has been 24/21 the two years prior to Schottenheimer's arrival.  Bradford really hasn't had a better year since.  In all honesty, Schottenheimer probably got Sanchez that big contract and got the Rams and Eagles excessive trade compensation for Bradford.  Conveniently leaving off Brees and Rivers also seems a bit much.

I think the idea of wanting him stems from him knowing and having the respect of most of the league and the fact that his Dad was kind of a masterful manager type.  I'm not in love with it, but there are plenty of worse names being bounced around.  

• Upvote 1

Entirely plausible; the Johnsons have learned nothing and forgotten everything. This would be typical. And probably where many of us would move from Jets fans to somewhere between bemused indifference to brutal hostility. 

Seahawks offense consists of roughly 3 quarters of Schottenheimer jerking off and Wilson spending the 2nd half bailing his sorry ass out to save the day. Like many bad coaches, he calls his (terrible) plays, down, distance, clock, score, all no consideration. It's very familiar; HARD F___IN' PASS. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

When I think of the Rex Ryan era Jets the first thing that comes to mind is how dominant our offense was.

Schotty has been at best mediocre until paired with a Canton-bound QB. Fool's gold.

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

When I think of the Rex Ryan era Jets the first thing that comes to mind is how dominant our offense was.

But they led the NFL in rushing offense and....yeah, that was about it. Where did that get them? Couldn't mount a passing attack at all. Yes, let's bring that back in a time where passing is the whole game. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

But they led the NFL in rushing offense and....yeah, that was about it. Where did that get them? Couldn't mount a passing attack at all. Yes, let's bring that back in a time where passing is the whole game. 

The passing game was critical to the 2010 run and in 2006 the Jets struggled running and had Chad off two rotator cuff surgeries and made the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Hire a nerd from Google.  Money ball 2.0

Sashi Brown. Big issue is Money ball will never be as effective in NFL as MLB for several reasons, including:

1. Much fewer games/sample size and thus less confidence in statistical robustness

2. Way more independent variables than batter-versus-hitter which is close to a 1-on-1 situation

3. Much huger impact on game plan/play calling in football

4. Rigid salary cap and minimum spend requirements

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Why didn't Daboll's schemes and playcalling work in his other 6 seasons as an OC?

Maybe he developed into better coordinator? Read Outliers, most people get better at their job after time. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sashi Brown. Big issue is Money ball will never be as effective in NFL as MLB for several reasons, including:

1. Much fewer games/sample size and thus less confidence in statistical robustness

2. Way more independent variables than batter-versus-hitter which is close to a 1-on-1 situation

3. Much huger impact on game plan/play calling in football

4. Rigid salary cap and minimum spend requirements

Fair and true. But there are elements of analytics. Could at least help you avoid mistakes in personnel and coaching decisions, and ferret out predictive play calls. But not anywhere as predictive as it is in other sports.

Analytics has a place in the NFL. Joe Douglas know that. But suspect it's alien to the Johnsons.  

Ergo, a jock sniffer like Hymie Whatshisname gets a say in who the HC will be. 

Just now, Bugg said:

Fair and true. But there are elements of analytics. Could at least help you avoid mistakes in personnel and coaching decisions, and ferret out predictive play calls. But not anywhere as predictive as it is in other sports.

Analytics has a place in the NFL. Joe Douglas know that. But suspect it's alien to the Johnsons.  

Ergo, a jock sniffer like Hymie Whatshisname gets a say in who the HC will be. 

Agree analytics play a large role. My point is that bringing in a nerd with no football acumen won't work in football like it might in baseball.

It'll be interesting to see if Schottenheimer even gets an interview and, if he does, how far it goes. Woody really liked Schotty, and he was being talked up as a potential head coach a decade ago. But he has no connection to Joe Douglas, and if I'm Joe Douglas, I'm not so sure I want to recommend a former favorite son of the owner to the table. That's a recipe for early competitiveness and friction.