Darnold Made JD's Decision Much Easier Today

13 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Even if JD was a fan of Darnold, how can he not decide to move on at this point? It shouldn't come down to one game, I know.  But putting recency bias aside, this game was a microcosm of Darnold's Jet career.  Was it Gase's fault?  Maybe.  But even when he had plenty of time, he made perplexingly bad decisions.  I would be shocked if we don't draft a QB at this point.  It is time to move on.  Now get it right, Joe.

I sure hope so.  Game was tied.  Sam opened the floodgates with that first pick.  He was not able overcome his mistakes and did not produce a score the rest of the game. I don't think Sam believes in Sam anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

I sure hope so.  Game was tied.  Sam opened the floodgates with that first pick.  He was not able overcome his mistakes and did not produce a score the rest of the game. I don't think Sam believes in Sam anymore.

New rules to add to Parcell’s QB criteria:

1. Do not draft a QB from Texas that’s never been on a horse

2. Do not draft a QB from Colorado that’s never been on the slopes

3. Do not draft a QB from SoCal that’s never been on a wave standing up

Thats not all-world competitive alpha fire.

• Haha 2

On 1/3/2021 at 8:32 PM, phill1c said:

Here's the REAL reason not to keep Darnold: $$$$

His option year is something like $25 million. DEFINITELY not worth that...

The contract is also why it's hard to trade Sam.   A potential fixer GM, will only get one year to fix Sam before he becomes a free agent.   

I'm not a cap guy, but the way I understand the Sam timeline is:

May 2021:  We decline the $25M, 5th year option for 2022. 

2021 Season: If we don't get any good offers,  we can keep Sam for a measly $9M or so, much of which has already been paid and counted towards our cap.  Maybe a miracle happens in which case we can gladly pay to keep him after the season, but most probably we let him walk for a comp pick.  Edit: @choon328 says we get $5M cap savings if we trade Sam.

2022: Sam's a FA:  If you're a GM that wants Sam, this is when you strike.   You sign Sam to a one year prove it deal or a multiyear team-friendly contract and it doesn't cost a draft pick.

So the question is - Is the opposing GM willing to give away a 2021 draft pick and possibly get only one year of Sam in return?

My opinion, as JD, I would make the trade if it's a 5th or better.  Otherwise, keep Sam for 2021 in case a miracle happens and he increases his trade/comp pick value.

As an opposing GM, I wouldn't trade a bag of footballs for Sam now, but maybe I'd kick the tires in 2022 for free.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

That's also why it's hard to trade him.   A potential fixer GM, will only get one year to fix Sam before he becomes a free agent.   

May 2021:  We decline the $25M 5th year option for 2022. 

2021 Season: Assuming we don't get any good offers,  we can keep Sam for a measly 9M or so, much of which has already been paid and counted towards our cap.  Maybe a miracle happens in which case we can gladly pay to keep him after the season or let him walk for a comp pick.

2022: Sam becomes a FA:  If you're a Sam-can-be-fixed-GM, this is when you strike.   You sign Sam to a one year prove it deal or a multiyear team-friendly contract and it costs no compensation.

So the question is - Is the opposing GM willing to give away a 2021 draft pick and possibly get only one year of Sam in return?

My opinion, we should make the trade if it's a 4th or better.  Otherwise, keep Sam for next year and based on his performance, sign him or get a comp pick.

As an opposing GM, I wouldn't trade a bag of footballs for Sam now, but maybe I'd kick the tires in 2022 for free.

If Sam stays, look for the team to sign him to a "3-year extension" at an average salary of around $15 million per year with $25-30 million guaranteed. The final year would be voidable. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

If Sam stays, look for the team to sign him to a "3-year extension" at an average salary of around $15 million per year with $25-30 million guaranteed. The final year would be voidable. 

No way.  Let him play out his last year and then get the comp pick.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

If this happens?  Even with Gase fired, I'd be gone.  No way I could stomach another year(s) with Darnold as QB.  Just would be beyond my dwindling mental/emotional capacity.

• Upvote 1

Knowing that it was going to be another loooong offseason, I just wanted to watch a good game of Jets football. I assumed Sam was going to play inspired as there was a lot on the line for him.

At half time I went outside to take down the Xmas lights and really didn’t want to come back in to watch the second half.  

Unfortunately I can back in to watch all the Patriots high fiving Beli for 2 more quarters. Offensive players, defensive players, their whole damn team. 

Good luck Gase with whatever you do, PLEASE take Sam with you.

I want a Head Coach and a starting QB with Fire, a sense of urgency, and an obvious appearance that they care.

Anyway, Happy New Year Jetnation!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

A lot of stuff made JD's life a lot easier throughout this weekend.

It's game over

And next Monday when Fields faces his biggest test.  If that goes well, Fields hopefully will  be a Jet.  I don't think Sam will be retained, because new coach is not going to want to work with a lame duck quarterback and Sam has been knocked off his pedestal.  It would be awkward.  

Today's game was the final nail in Darnold's coffin in NY.  Knowing he was playing with his NFL future on the line, he gave us this stinker.  It's a shame really.  Regardless of how we got here or who's fault it is, after 3 years Darnold cannot consistently read defenses, has terrible footwork, holds the ball too long, and is not capable of elevating the play of the players around him. Even a big supporter like me has seen enough.  He cannot be our QB in 2021.  No way.  

I'm officially on the draft Fields bandwagon.  Sorry Sam.

• Sympathy 4

2 hours ago, dcJet said:

The contract is also why it's hard to trade Sam.   A potential fixer GM, will only get one year to fix Sam before he becomes a free agent.   

May 2021:  We decline the $25M, 5th year option for 2022. 

2021 Season: If we don't get any good offers,  we can keep Sam for a measly $9M or so, much of which has already been paid and counted towards our cap.  Maybe a miracle happens in which case we can gladly pay to keep him after the season, but most probably we let him walk for a comp pick.

2022: Sam's a FA:  If you want to fix him, this is when you strike.   You sign Sam to a one year prove it deal or a multiyear team-friendly contract and it doesn't cost a draft pick.

My opinion, as JD, I would make the trade if it's a 4th or better.  Otherwise, keep Sam for 2021.

Dream on if you think Sam can be salvaged, dream on.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, jgb said:

He decided last off season, as we said. Hence the zero investment in FA.

right. cos if he was good, like watson, he'd still ball like a mfer and be obviously a good qb playing on a bad team. instead he took a team  that could have won 5,6 or 7 and won 2 games.  a minus player. a qb who significantly decreases your odds of winning. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1