Dan Orlovsky interview just now on ESPN. "This isn't just a good match, it's the perfect fit for Sam Darnold"

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yea... I think producing league average QB play with this roster would've been a heroic feat. 

I think we see it all the time.  We just then assume the roster is better.  A guy who could get the ball out quickly and accurately would have won games here.  Or at least, moved the ball more successfully.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I for one will not be surprised if Darnold does well with a different coaching staff. The previous CS was obviously incompetent.

How great would it be for the Jets if they're able to trade down, pick up a bunch of draft capital, build the team and then find out they actually do have a good QB?

That's not to say Darnold has looked good here, he hasn't. Coaching matters.

Worst case, they have a better landing spot for some other QB.

Very good post.  The  risk/reward to JD and Saleh being able to actually fix Darnold is massive vs. using #2 on a QB and starting over. This is why I think JD ultimately trades the pick and signs a competent QB in free agency...

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

There are guys in the journalistic world who have cred.....Like, real cred.  Not Incarcerated Bob, but REAL cred.  Adam Schefter is one of them.  If he says its a possibility, its a possibility.  

This guy has real cred too.  Bounces from one prediction to another no matter how wrong or right.

image.png.95d804da29489cd9d7a050c25f19151d.png

Just now, TeddEY said:

I think we see it all the time.  We just then assume the roster is better.  A guy who could get the ball out quickly and accurately would have won games here.  Or at least, moved the ball more successfully.

• I think 4/5 of our offensive line positions need to be upgraded, our best lineman was a raw AF rookie 
  • Jamison Crowder was the only reliable pass catching weapon
  • Gase might have been the worst head coach in the NFL this past year
  • Frank. Gore. 
  • There was a point early in the season where nearly every WR on the team was injured. So the worst receiving corps in the league just got worse.

For all the sh*t we talk about the team building over the past decade and how we refused to take offensive players high in the draft, I find it ironic that when the fruits of that failure ripen, a large contingent of fans are so quick to attack the symptom as opposed to the underlying condition. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Very good post.  The  risk/reward to JD and Saleh being able to actually fix Darnold is massive vs. using #2 on a QB and starting over. This is why I think JD ultimately trades the pick and signs a competent QB in free agency...

I am rooting for taking a QB at 2. 

But if JD feels trading back once or twice, I’ll back Sam 100%. If they were to trade down with ATL, then again with a team like CAR - we could add a sh*t ton of second and third round picks over the next two years. We all agree we have an awful roster so on the bright side we can turn it over quickly. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

• I think 4/5 of our offensive line positions need to be upgraded, our best lineman was a raw AF rookie 
  • Frank. Gore. 
  • There was a point early in the season where nearly every WR on the team was injured. So the worst receiving corps in the league just got worse.

For all the sh*t we talk about the team building over the past decade and how we refused to take offensive players high in the draft, I find it ironic that when the fruits of that failure ripen, a large contingent of fans are so quick to attack the symptom as opposed to the underlying condition. 

Joe Flacco, who had no interest in being on the football field, and was just collecting back-up checks before fading away, threw 6 TDs to 3 INTs.  No one is denying this is a bad football team.  But, a decent QB and Tank for Trevor wouldn't have been a consideration.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I’d have to agree. Only a person with low self confidence does that. Not a good quality for a franchise QB

I saw it and hated it.  My initial reaction, and it's on this website somewhere, is that I was glad he'd be gone by 3, based on that.  Then, when he was available, I got excited like the rest of us, and convinced myself it was a non-issue.

• Upvote 3

Just now, TeddEY said:

Joe Flacco, who had no interest in being on the football field, and was just collecting back-up checks before fading away, threw 6 TDs to 3 INTs.  No one is denying this is a bad football team.  But, a decent QB and Tank for Trevor wouldn't have been a consideration.

I think those stats are heavily skewed because of that one Patriot game:

814902040_ScreenShot2021-01-15at12_59_02PM.thumb.png.341edcd92f82194ae3963fbe510e2924.png

I'm not trying to get all Info Wars on this... but there was something fishy about that game. Belli trying to ensure we don't get TL? Or maybe the rare bad game plan from said Roose Bolton clone?

21 minutes ago, dcJet said:

This guy has real cred too.  Bounces from one prediction to another no matter how wrong or right.

image.png.95d804da29489cd9d7a050c25f19151d.png

So...My guess is because you don't have any actual credentials in the journalistic field, you want to crap on those who do have the actual stuff.  Got it.

44 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

People should really watch his full final month of his rookie year.  Not just two games of it.

I did.

He played well against Buffalo and then followed it up with back to back very strong performances against Houston and Green Bay. Then he had a bad game against New England to finish the season. 

He had a strong final month as a rookie. Pretty hard to argue against that.

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

We have the "Sam is broken and can never get fixed" cult.  We have the "we must draft Justin Fields above all else" cult.  We have the "Sam is fixable and we must build this team through the draft" cult.  I feel like Leonard Nimoy on a show explaining weird human phenomena.  Four months of hot takes.  Get the popcorn!

How about we keep Sam, draft Fields and let them compete. 
In all honesty Sam has had a rough start and I’m not making excuses you him but the coaching was sub par, actually sucked. The Oline sucked and there was no consistency with the WR corps. Not to mention no run game to offset the passing game. Give him one year under some good coaching and revitalized offense and see where it goes.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I saw it and hated it.  My initial reaction, and it's on this website somewhere, is that I was glad he'd be gone by 3, based on that.  Then, when he was available, I got excited like the rest of us, and convinced myself it was a non-issue.

Have to admit, a QB not throwing at the combine is a terrible optic. 

14 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

814902040_ScreenShot2021-01-15at12_59_02PM.thumb.png.341edcd92f82194ae3963fbe510e2924.png

I'm not trying to get all Info Wars on this... but there was something fishy about that game. Belli trying to ensure we don't get TL? Or maybe the rare bad game plan from said Roose Bolton clone?

Sam against NE was 23/34 266yds 1TD 2INTs

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

Sure. Great QBs are picked in the middle and late first rounds as often as they picked in the Top 5. 

There are 27 picks in the 6-32 range compared to the top 5.  Of course there will be as many or more QB's picked in that range as in the top 5.  That isn't a solid argument against taking one in the top 5.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Exactly.  Remember when Flacco was under center, the WR's looked good, and the DarnoldBros said "I can't wait for Darnold to play with these receivers!"

Then what happened?  Darnold barely even targeted Mims.  4 targets per game compared to 7.5 per game with Flacco, and Mims had a significantly better yards per target.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:
  • Frank. Gore. 

Yet this whole supposedly crappy unit looked appreciably better with Flacco under center.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

lol, so Flacco does well against a division rival and you discount it as an outlier?  lmao. 

Compare that to how Darnold does against Belichick for me, please.  He sh*ts his pants every time he faces NE:

• 12/30/2018:  16-28, 167 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 6.0 YPA, 74.6 QB Rating
  • 10/21/2019:  11-32, 86 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTs, 2.7 YPA, 3.6 QB Rating
  • 1/2/2021:  23-34, 266 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 7.8 YPA, 76.4 QB Rating

And Flacco's line in the Chargers game is better than the typical Darnold line, so this isn't a strong argument.

15 minutes ago, jbt said:

Sam against NE was 23/34 266yds 1TD 2INTs

First three quarters I was satisfied with his performance. Then it fell apart.

But the other major difference between those two Pats games were the circumstances... we had already disqualified ourselves from the TL sweepstakes by then... but I'm aware that's incredibly conspiratorial. 

Did I mention how poorly Greg Van Roten played in week 17? ;)

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are 27 picks in the 6-32 range compared to the top 5.  Of course there will be as many or more QB's picked in that range as in the top 5.  That isn't a solid argument against taking one in the top 5.

I think if you look at the draft position of the remaining QBs in the divisional round, I believe Mayfield and Goff are the only selected in the Top 5 (Both #1 overall) and they are probably the worst 2 of the QBs playing this weekend.

The teams that are having success with young QBs are by and large those who selected a QB later and had a functional offense to set the guy up for success.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

First three quarters I was satisfied with his performance. Then it fell apart.

Unfortunately, this has been a bit of a theme with Darnold. 

If you notice, Sam tends to be a better 1st quarter QB than a 4th quarter QB. Unless it's garbage time. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet this whole supposedly crappy unit looked appreciably better with Flacco under center.

I think it was really just the fact that Flacco was doing his Daryl Lamonica "Mad Bomber" impression and Sam's arm got effed up this year

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Unfortunately, this has been a bit of a theme with Darnold. 

If you notice, Sam tends to be a better 1st quarter QB than a 4th quarter QB. Unless it's garbage time. 

This is absolutely true. But you don't think this is more of an indictment of Adam Gase who we know was incapable of making adjustments to to defensive adjustments until the 4th quarter? 

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

This is absolutely true. But you don't think this is more of an indictment of Adam Gase who we know was incapable of making adjustments to to defensive adjustments until the 4th quarter? 

I think Gase takes a hit as well, but you can't absolve Darnold. Both share the blame. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think Gase takes a hit as well, but you can't absolve Darnold. Both share the blame. 

And the overall talent level on offense.

So let's improve two of those three variables, and see if it has any effect on the third.

If not, we move on next year. That might not be a lot of fans preference, but it's not entirely unreasonable either. 

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

And the overall talent level on offense.

So let's improve two of those three variables, and see if it has any effect on the third.

If not, we move on next year. That might not be a lot of fans preference, but it's not entirely unreasonable either. 

It's unreasonable to me if they don't bring in someone to, at the very least, compete with Darnold. 

Sam hasn't earned a 4th year as an unquestioned starter. If they really don't like any of the QBs in the draft, they can bring in someone like Winston and let him and Sam battle it out. I could get behind that. 

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agree. Sam regressed. He was not good last season. But if you look at the splits on his quarter by quarter stats - it's pretty glaring to see how his stats drop off after the 1st quarter the last 2 seasons. That's a direct result of a HC/OC who is married to a game plan and never adjusts.  

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Saleh is so fiery.  Darnold is very flat.  Saleh seems to enjoy what he does.  Darnold doesn't.

Either Saleh's energy will be a positive infuence on Darnold, or it might not be a good match if Darnold maintains his current dimeanor.

Would you enjoy working with Gase and having to pretend to the media that your HC is any good.  The happiest guy on the planet right now is Darnold.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MaxAF said:

How about we keep Sam, draft Fields and let them compete. 
In all honesty Sam has had a rough start and I’m not making excuses you him but the coaching was sub par, actually sucked. The Oline sucked and there was no consistency with the WR corps. Not to mention no run game to offset the passing game. Give him one year under some good coaching and revitalized offense and see where it goes.

Well.  I guess write that down as a religious script, grab some cowls at the local monk supply shop and head off to convert of some unsure & gullible Jets Nation masses.

You'll be good to go!