Dan Orlovsky interview just now on ESPN. "This isn't just a good match, it's the perfect fit for Sam Darnold"

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Quick interview just now on ESPN with Greeny and Orlovsky.  

On why Saleh is a great coach and fit for the Jets...

1) Excellent listener.  Too many coaches talk at players.  He listens.

2) Thrived in adversity.  Lost lots of players, defense continued to perform.  He's adaptable.

3) Bringing LaFleur.  The Shanahan tree works.  It's all over the league and succeeding.  To be good on offense in the NFL you need either a great QB or a great OC.

Now on Sam....

Says this isn't just a good match for Sam Darnold, "it's the exact perfect fit."  Described the offense a bit, talked about easy throws and decision making.  Said he is connected to Darnold thru people and at one point Orlovsky was asked by those close to Darnold, "If Sam is going to move on from the Jets where should he go?"  Orlovsky replied, "Do whatever you can to get to San Francisco and under Shanahan!"  Now, the SF offense comes to Sam instead of him having to go there.  Also said that Schefter doesn't just say things or speculate, if he's saying he thinks Darnold stays it's because someone very close to the Jets or the new coaches told him that.

Please add more or clarify if anyone else heard it!

That’s very telling, why would Sams people do this if him and the GM share the same agent? Something doesn’t sound right ?‍♂️

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

2) Thrived in adversity.  Lost lots of players, defense continued to perform.  He's adaptable.

3) Bringing LaFleur.  The Shanahan tree works.  It's all over the league and succeeding.  To be good on offense in the NFL you need either a great QB or a great OC.

Now on Sam....

Says this isn't just a good match for Sam Darnold, "it's the exact perfect fit."  Described the offense a bit, talked about easy throws and decision making.  Said he is connected to Darnold thru people and at one point Orlovsky was asked by those close to Darnold, "If Sam is going to move on from the Jets where should he go?"  Orlovsky replied, "Do whatever you can to get to San Francisco and under Shanahan!"  Now, the SF offense comes to Sam instead of him having to go there.  Also said that Schefter doesn't just say things or speculate, if he's saying he thinks Darnold stays it's because someone very close to the Jets or the new coaches told him that.

so unwise believing Sam can be fixed.  

We are all in for tremendous disappointment if the plan is to fix Darnold.  

• Upvote 2

Ugghhh...

I like Sam as a person and I know he's still young and all but I'm just tired of watching him play on Sundays. He just doesn't have that alpha mentality to me to will a win for this team. After a 3 and out I never see him interact with a receiver or running back about what went wrong, bark at a ref for bs flag,or just snatch his chin straps off and toss his helmet on the dryer. Its just trot back to the sidelines with his head down. If they do stick with him maybe Saleh or the OC can fix him but if not, bench him early and move on. I wish we could've seen what Morgan has those last two games.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Now on Sam....

Really good point on Schefter, he wouldn't put his name on that statement if he didn't believe it.

• Upvote 2

2nd year GM.
1st year HC.  
Both want to really put their stamp on the team. 
Both weren't involved with drafting Darnold.  
Darnold was the worst QB in the NFL last year.  
Both new GM and HC want to have long and prosperous careers.  
Both will NEVER rely on a 4th year, lowest ranked QB to make that happen.
The Jets are drafting a QB or trading for one.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No system or coach can help a QB who misses open receivers, is a slow processor, is a bit weak-minded, and is injury prone.  

Regardless of who we were going to hire at HC, Darnold was never going to be the answer.  And I'll question Saleh's judgment if he doesn't see that very quickly.  Darnold already contributed to getting some people fired here.  How many more people want to join that list?

1200px-JD_Sports_logo.svg.png

9 minutes ago, jetswin said:

As frustrated as I was this year, and I know all of you were as well, I don't think it's time to give up on a 23 year old QB with experience under horrific conditions. New regime, new Sam, put something around the kid and give him a season. Next year if must be the Jets can do something to move up in draft if Sam doesnt pan out before locking in for big money and long term...however I like his chances with new guys coaching and around him

Agreed

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

so unwise believing Sam can be fixed.  

We are all in for tremendous disappointment if the plan is to fix Darnold.  

Agreed the only way I really think he should be here next year is if it is in open competition with the #2 pick and Morgan.

No one should be handed the job. Sam needs to have some fight in him.... You don't see much moxy from him these days. Honestly every time I see Sam speak I see Mark Sanchez ...

Same demeanor as Mark saying all of the technically correct things, holding himself accountable while simultaneously seeming like he's never going to do anything to change it.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Zach Wilson seems like a Robert Saleh kinda guy. Not sure if that means anything lol. Just an observation. 

Yeah, a lot of people are saying that.  It is going to be interesting for sure. @KRL said it as the season ended but Joe Douglas legitimately controls this draft.

12 minutes ago, juxsta said:

Ugghhh...

I like Sam as a person and I know he's still young and all but I'm just tired of watching him play on Sundays. He just doesn't have that alpha mentality to me to will a win for this team. After a 3 and out I never see him interact with a receiver or running back about what went wrong, bark at a ref for bs flag,or just snatch his chin straps off and toss his helmet on the dryer. Its just trot back to the sidelines with his head down. If they do stick with him maybe Saleh or the OC can fix him but if not, bench him early and move on. I wish we could've seen what Morgan has those last two games.

Neither has Eli and has two rings. 

25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Saleh is so fiery.  Darnold is very flat.  Saleh seems to enjoy what he does.  Darnold doesn't.

Either Saleh's energy will be a positive infuence on Darnold, or it might not be a good match if Darnold maintains his current dimeanor.

Well, all Darnold has done for three years is get his ass kicked while playing for very below average offensive coaching.  

I don't think that sounds very enjoyable. 

• Haha 1