Watson Wanted Saleh or Bienemy

SR24

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Agreed - I mean I’d make the trade, but there’s nothing that JD has ever said or done or alluded to that would ever suggest he would trade a first round pick

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I hear ya. 

To be honest, even if he really does end up being available, I suspect Douglas is not trading the farm for a QB

Unfortunately I agree with both of you. Hopefully we are all wrong. Deshaun should not be available. His numbers project to a HOF career. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Jameis Winston was the league leader last year with 350 more yards than Watson this year.  Why not get that beast?

He had 33 TDs and 7 INTs this year, not the same scenario. Especially when you consider the state of the team and having just traded Hopkins. Watson is the type of player you sell the farm for

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Icer said:

2 1sts is nothing for an elite FQB who is only 25 years old

I agree, it isn’t.

So why would the Texans trade a 25 year old, borderline Top 5 QB to us for roughy the same package that we got for a 210 lb EDGE?

Answer: They won’t

If the Jets want Watson, you’re probably talking about giving up all 4 of our 1st round picks over the next 2 years.

And then you’re sticking him into a spot really no different than the one that he’s trying to shoot his way out of. I don’t buy that having Robert Saleh is going to smooth all of that over.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

I think if Bieniemy was as bad as everyone makes him out to be, he’d be fired by now.  Word around the league is he’s well liked by players and well respected by coaches.

like I’ve said, if Watson was the qb last year, we’d be 7-9,8-8.  JD would be silly not to call.

Ok, what does he actually do? Kafka does the game plans and Reid calls the plays. Looking forward to your solving the mystery. 

31 minutes ago, choon328 said:

$11 million 2021

$35 million 2022

$37 million 2023

$32 million 2024

$32 million 2025

That is not expensive for a QB considering Lamar and Allen are going to get over $40 million per year this offseason. 

As long as it fits in the cap structure and allows a team to be built and maintained around him that number can be whatever makes him happy.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I agree, it isn’t.

So why would the Texans trade a 25 year old, borderline Top 5 QB to us for roughy the same package that we got for a 210 lb EDGE?

If the Jets want Watson, you’re probably talking about giving up all 4 of our 1st round picks over the next 2 years.

And then you’re sticking him into a spot really no different than the one that he’s trying to shoot his way out of. I don’t buy that having Robert Saleh is going to smooth all of that over.

You're right

In a true trade that's not the return they would demand, but its a unique situation in that he has a no trade clause and is going to make this situation ugly.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I agree, it isn’t.

The Texans had no offensive line and that has always been their issue on offense. If the Jets add Thuney and Moton they immediately become one of the better offensive lines in the nfl. It's really not that hard to fix the line. 

4 minutes ago, Icer said:

You're right

In a true trade that's not the return they would demand, but its a unique situation in that he has a no trade clause and is going to make this situation ugly.

Maybe

And hell, if all it takes to land Watson is #2 and #23...then I’m right there with you. Cap be damned.

I just find it extremely hard to believe that Joe Douglas, who cut his teeth under Ozzie Newsome for 15 years, would acquire all of these resources on a severely undermanned team just to blow it on a QB making upwards of $40 million a season less than 6 months later when this squad clearly isn’t in “win now” mode.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Texans had no offensive line and that has always been their issue on offense. If the Jets add Thuney and Moton they immediately become one of the better offensive lines in the nfl. It's really not that hard to fix the line. 

On what planet are we living on where the Jets trade upwards of 4 1st round picks for Watson, are on the hook for nearly $40 million a season, yet we’re still paying two free agent OL $16+ million a year?

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Maybe

And hell, if all it takes to land Watson is #2 and #23...then I’m right there with you. Cap be damned.

I just find it extremely hard to believe that Joe Douglas, who cut his teeth under Ozzie Newsome for 15 years, would acquire all of these resources on a severely undermanned team just to blow it on a QB making upwards of $40 million a season less than 6 months later when this squad clearly isn’t in “win now” mode.

I completely agree, but a 25 year old Top 5 FQB demanding a trade with a no trade clause has never happened before. The closest thing I can think of is Jay Cutler wanting out of Denver, and even back then he wasn't considered at the level that Watson is now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

The coaching carousel was too much.  I can’t deal with this.

Man we totally understand.  It’s not like anyone is or should pressure you into digging into this. 

have a few drinks or whatever you do to chill. Get a good nights sleep. 

then wake up have a nice breakfast   ........... then hit the phones start the mogglez sports blog. lol.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

On what planet are we living on where the Jets trade upwards of 4 1st round picks for Watson, are on the hook for nearly $40 million a season, yet we’re still paying two free agent OL $16+ million a year?

Posters here think we're in some Madden simulation. I've been saying from the beginning that it'll cost us more than 2 1st and Sam. And that if we did trade all 4 1st rd picks we're just becoming the east coast Texans. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jameis Winston was the league leader last year with 350 more yards than Watson this year.  Why not get that beast?

Because he also had 30 INTs for those 300 yards 

While Watson had the same 33 TDs and only 7 INTs.  Without the WRs that the Bucs had

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I know the response I’ll get is, “It doesn’t matter. Watson is great and can play in any system,” but I have to ask.... Is he a good fit for what LaFleur will likely want to do here?

A large portion of the miners faithful believe so 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Watson contract average a little under $30 million for the next 4 years if you trade for him. The Jets currently have $95 million in cap space going into next year with pretty much nobody to spend it on internally for the next few seasons bc of bad drafting. They can make all of those contacts work easily. 4 first round picks to obtain a 25 year old who is already a top 5 QB is not too much to pay. He immediately puts the team into playoff consideration every year. He's started 3 years on a team that has failed to protect him and 2 of those years he went to the playoffs with double digit regular season wins. You can't put a price on a top 5 QB, you just can't.